As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My 360 Craves The Internets!

Mr PinkMr Pink I got catsfor youRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently moved into a new apartment, and the cable modem is located upstairs. Dandy for my room connection, terrible for the fact that my 360 is located down a staircase and around a corner. Since it's an apartment, I won't exactly be drilling any holes through the floor. I do have wireless, though, so thats the route I'm going.

PA, help me get online (I miss Rock Band and GTAIV). The official 360 wireless adapter seems really pricey, and while the original oXbox one is cheaper, I have no idea if it is comparable.

So what should I do?

Mr Pink on

• Options
    Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Buy a cheap wireless router, and use it as a repeater. Your setup will look like this, with single dashes representing a wireless signal, and equal signs representing actual cables:

INTERNET==Cable modem==Wireless router #1
    Wireless router #2==Xbox

I did the exact same thing a couple of months ago... I bought two cheap Linksys routers, flashed them both with DD-WRT firmware, then configured them roughly according to this guide. It's been working fine ever since.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Someone else actually using one can answer definitively, but I'm about 95% positive the original xbox wireless adapter works for the 360

Gdiguy on
  • Options
    Chief1138Chief1138 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do you have a laptop with wireless? If you do, you can just run an ethernet cable from the xbox to the laptop and use the laptop's wireless to access the internet.

Chief1138 on