As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

THE PAX 2008 Schedule

• Options
    Grooveman23Grooveman23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am not in love with Will Wright, and I don't think he is a god. I just like that he has a vision, which just so happens to coincide with my own.

Now, I didn't have the vision of Spore, I just wanted a game that had to do with life in the universe, and Will Wright did that.

I also dissaprove of how the media is saying that this game "is crossing boundaries never thought of" and all that crap about how the game is new and different. Yeah, its a nice idea, but not this "new and indie" idea. Since when was the universe "Indie".

I know I will enjoy the game, simply because it looks like it will be the next great thing,and because its the idea of the game i have always wanted to play.

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All hail the Hypno-Spode!
  • Options
    PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    samer791 wrote: »
    I like the schedule. But nobody I go with ever does any of the stuff, they just hang out at console freeplay all day. But this seems like a ditch-worthy lineup.

On the concert lineups, is it chronological order or billing? So is Coulton going first Friday or are the OneUps?

That's what I'm wondering as well...

Psychoish on
  • Options
    Amber FechkoAmber Fechko Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Psychoish wrote: »
    I like the schedule. But nobody I go with ever does any of the stuff, they just hang out at console freeplay all day. But this seems like a ditch-worthy lineup.

On the concert lineups, is it chronological order or billing? So is Coulton going first Friday or are the OneUps?

While there's always a slight chance things will change day-of (technical issues, flights not arriving on time, etc), as it stands they'll go in the order they're listed on the schedule (meaning on Friday night, The OneUps will go first).

Amber Fechko on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The lack of Video Game Jeopardy makes me sniffle.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    blindside044blindside044 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    I'm having trouble finding a map/floorplan of the convention centre itself with all the halls marked, so I can plan out my timings between events. Could anyone point me to one?

seconded

blindside044 on
  • Options
    DJBreslinDJBreslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Of all years, this year's line-up is the most awesome. Used to be I spent a lot of time in BYOC and snuck out for the occasional event... this year might reverse that trend.

Nice job guys!

DJBreslin on
  • Options
    ninjownedninjowned Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now just need an updated pax layout jpeg or something to completely plan everything :D

Or is the June 26th Exhibition Hall layout the best we get until PAX?

ninjowned on
    ninjowned!
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ninjowned wrote: »
    Now just need an updated pax layout jpeg or something to completely plan everything :D

I believe--don't quote me on that--there was one that was a bit more updated than that. Like in Mid-To-Late July, I think?

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    PsychoishPsychoish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Psychoish wrote: »

While there's always a slight chance things will change day-of (technical issues, flights not arriving on time, etc), as it stands they'll go in the order they're listed on the schedule (meaning on Friday night, The OneUps will go first).

Ah, okay. Thanks for clarifying!

Psychoish on
  • Options
    waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is too freakin nuts. I shall plan out my schedule later, but it looks like it's going to be tight. I hope I have time left to wander the exhibition hall =D.

Also, I feel bad for anyone scheduled simultaneously as Wil Wheaton or Ken Levine =(.

waffleboi9 on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ninjowned wrote: »

I believe--don't quote me on that--there was one that was a bit more updated than that. Like in Mid-To-Late July, I think?

There is. I can't find a link to it ATM, but I figure somebody will post it.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    ChiparooChiparoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I approve of the schedule this year! :D

Especially the panels

...especially the panels in Wolfman.

Seriously, they are all relevant to my interests :D

Ryuten.

Chiparoo on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    By the way, if you guys cancel the Spore thing, I will spit death on your houses.

And hey, that death, its gonna burn.

BURN!!!

Not to get off topic, but why are people so religiously motivated by this game and anything Wright makes? I have the creature creator, and it's ok I guess... I realize the full game is deeper, but by all means I see no reason why it haz received the hype and accolades it has. reminds me of a comic...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/02/15/

And the Will Wright's Pee comic (which I can't seem to find).

Seriously... wtf gives?

Why are people religiously motivated by Transformers? See what I did there?

My schedule is going to be busy. I feel I will actually have to squeeze time in for the freeplay areas rather than just hang there waiting for the next big thing. This is cool and sad at the same time.

redhalo on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah originally I was going to attend some of the more "serious" panels but I've come to the conclusion I'm going to enjoy PAX a lot more if I spend the majority of my time hanging out and playing games.

Sunday is the exception. I cant miss Dragon Age, Spore and the Omegathon Final. Or Wil Wheaton. It'll be the only day where i force myself to a strict schedule.

Also, whats with the Will Wright hate? He's a great speaker (saw him at KRAZY! in Vancouver) and is one of the most important people in the industry. Gaming would be a lot less cool if not for people like Will Wright and Sid Meier. Whether or not Spore lives up to the hype (it probably wont, its been hyped so much its impossible to live up to it) doesn't matter, what I and other people like about him is that he makes games that are different and bold, that most other developers wouldn't even try to tackle. Which leads to other developers doing the same and making the industry just a bit more awesome than it already is. I admit I'm not a Sims fan, but I can appreciate the game from a designer point of view.

There, I feel better now.

parabola on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All very interesting stuff. The panels I want to go to appear to be ni the afternoon which is good for me as I need to organise stuff for the mornings. I better start writing a plan in the vain hope that I'll actually follow it.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How does the Family Feud event work? Are participants chosen at random that morning, or do you need a team, or???? More info on this would be great, please!

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    On a scheduling related note...

Has http://sched.org/ been looked into at all? It's a really slick interactive schedule system. I think it'd be great to be able to see who I know is going to what panels, and to coordinate things.

The Deliverator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    By the way, if you guys cancel the Spore thing, I will spit death on your houses.

And hey, that death, its gonna burn.

BURN!!!

Not to get off topic, but why are people so religiously motivated by this game and anything Wright makes? I have the creature creator, and it's ok I guess... I realize the full game is deeper, but by all means I see no reason why it haz received the hype and accolades it has. reminds me of a comic...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/02/15/

And the Will Wright's Pee comic (which I can't seem to find).

Seriously... wtf gives?

Why are people religiously motivated by Transformers? See what I did there?

My schedule is going to be busy. I feel I will actually have to squeeze time in for the freeplay areas rather than just hang there waiting for the next big thing. This is cool and sad at the same time.

I didn't ask why people care about it. I asked why people are militant about it. My love for Transformers is one that I would rebuke given the right circumstances.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    TheRodersAbidesTheRodersAbides Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I know Cheapy D from Cheap Ass Gamer is going to be on a pannel sometime Sunday afternoon. Does anyone know exactly which one it will be??

I'm REALLY hopeing it will not interfear with the Spore presentation. I don't want to have to choose between my love for the CAGcast and my interest in a Will Wright project.

TheRodersAbides on
  • Options
    PetrovPetrov Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Does the lineup really start at 8am on Friday? 6 Hours? I'd really like to see Friday night's concert but I don't want to have to wait 6 hours in line just to make sure I get the wristband to get into the concert.

Are they really going to let people start lining up at 8am on Friday?

Petrov on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Petrov wrote: »
    Does the lineup really start at 8am on Friday? 6 Hours? I'd really like to see Friday night's concert but I don't want to have to wait 6 hours in line just to make sure I get the wristband to get into the concert.

Are they really going to let people start lining up at 8am on Friday?

6 hours should go plenty fast. Especially with Pictochat and other DS goodness. And yes the line really does start at 8am.

parabola on
  • Options
    benjammn311benjammn311 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ArenaNet presents: 3 Years of Guild Wars
    D:
    I wish I was going to PAX.

benjammn311 on
    1211437077610tt8.jpg
    I lol'd. :lol:
  • Options
    CougRonCougRon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I know Cheapy D from Cheap Ass Gamer is going to be on a pannel sometime Sunday afternoon. Does anyone know exactly which one it will be??

I'm REALLY hopeing it will not interfear with the Spore presentation. I don't want to have to choose between my love for the CAGcast and my interest in a Will Wright project.

that would be the gaming community one at 1 on sunday.

Is there going to be anything that will go into the description of these panels? What it's about, who's a panelist, what to expect, etc?

edit: I just realized. The gaming community panel is at the same time as the halo 3 tournament. Darn it! Why oh why can't I be at three or four places at once?

CougRon on
  • Options
    MustinMustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damnit, Khoo, if Felicia Day is at The Guild screening, which is taking place at the same time as our The OneUps concert, I'm skipping out on my own performance so I can go see her!!

[shakes fist]

Really, though, I appreciate all The OneUps love in the thread here. Regarding someone's comment about sheet music, that was for a separate album. But if all goes well, we'll have sheet music for something off of Disc I of Volume 2 for ya. Oh and check our MySpace for updates on the Track List and two new demos from the album posted today! (Monday)

srlsy? Move The Guild so Felicia can come dance with me at our concert :P

Mustin on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Mustin wrote: »
    Damnit, Khoo, if Felicia Day is at The Guild screening, which is taking place at the same time as our The OneUps concert, I'm skipping out on my own performance so I can go see her!!

[shakes fist]

Really, though, I appreciate all The OneUps love in the thread here. Regarding someone's comment about sheet music, that was for a separate album. But if all goes well, we'll have sheet music for something off of Disc I of Volume 2 for ya. Oh and check our MySpace for updates on the Track List and two new demos from the album posted today! (Monday)

/agreed. Mustin makes truth about something that would be epic.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh and check our MySpace for updates on the Track List and two new demos from the album posted today! (Monday)

Terra is so relaxing.

parabola on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

[shakes fist]

Mustin makes a good point!

Why put something as awesome as the Guild screening during something just as awesome as the concerts? Something that will be less attended and less popular should swap places with The Guild thing. Thats my two cents anyways :P

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I admit I don't know much about this The Guild, but why would anyone here want to see that over awesome concert night?

parabola on
  • Options
    OfficerOfficer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    parabola wrote: »
    I admit I don't know much about this The Guild, but why would anyone here want to see that over awesome concert night?

Mostly because Felicia Day is going to be there. She starred in Doctor Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog and is the main character in "The Guild", an episodic short produced about how an MMORPG guild interacts and eventually meets in real life.

It's actually quite accurate and funny.

The Guild youtube webisodes.

Officer on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Officer wrote: »
    parabola wrote: »

Mostly because Felicia Day is going to be there. She starred in Doctor Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog and is the main character in "The Guild", an episodic short produced about how an MMORPG guild interacts and eventually meets in real life.

It's actually quite accurate and funny.

The Guild youtube webisodes.

Felicia Day = internet fap material of the month.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    CarbonFalconCarbonFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There are only two things left that I want to know now.

1. Who all exactly is going to be on all the panels?

2. What about a CCG schedule? Is there a schedule for CCG tournaments like Magic or are those just spontaneous and fire off whenever?

CarbonFalcon on
  • Options
    Grooveman23Grooveman23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I find that its better to not have a rigid plan, but to decide a few things you want to go to, and make it to those, and a few other things you don't.

Like, I personally do not want to go to the Omegathon stuff, because there is a lot of other events I would like to go to. Doesn't mean I will go to those events, it just means I have the option.

Grooveman23 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    All hail the Hypno-Spode!
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There are only two things left that I want to know now.

1. Who all exactly is going to be on all the panels?

2. What about a CCG schedule? Is there a schedule for CCG tournaments like Magic or are those just spontaneous and fire off whenever?

Neither of these will likely be announced before PAX. I hope I'm wrong, but this is what I've seen in the past:

1. I would guess this is more likely to change than any other thing at the show, because people get busy/change plans etc. I don't ever remember hearing who will be at ALL of the panels until I get my program the first day of PAX. However, certain panelists will post on their blogs, websites, etc. and state that they are coming and are going to be in certain panels.

2. CCG tournaments aren't being run by PAX this year. Magic is actually being run by Wizards of the Coast. While there may be information that comes out and gets posted on the forums, it likely won't make it out as "official" information until Aug 29th.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone know if there will be event descriptions posted at any point in the near future?

Kyouteki on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Kyouteki wrote: »
    Anyone know if there will be event descriptions posted at any point in the near future?

Nope. But having those would be super.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The only one I really want to know the description of is the NCSoft one. I need to know the details of the ass kicking.

parabola on
  • Options
    ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

[shakes fist]

Agreed. The Guild/OneUps is the biggest scheduling conflict I see.
    It's like a battle. A battle between cool 8-) and hawt :winky: ....

ACC3SS on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Felicia Day. Tell your friends.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I mean, not that I don't think she is somewhat attractive but... really? I love Dr. Horrible, and I think the Guild is funny, but it's not like Summer Glau or something...

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I mean, not that I don't think she is somewhat attractive but... really? I love Dr. Horrible, and I think the Guild is funny, but it's not like Jewel Staite or something...

LewieP on
This discussion has been closed.