As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Reader App for iPhone

TilmanTilman Registered User new member
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm currently working on this little Comic Reader app for the iPhone that I would like to post on the AppStore (for free). I know most web comics don't like these types of apps because they don't show ads and additional text, but on the iPhone I'd like to have something simple to view my favorite web comics.
Could you guys give me an approval (or tell me to f off) so I know what you think about it? Otherwise I'll just publish it :P

Cheers,
Tilman

Tilman on

• YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Can't you just browse to the site and read the comic?

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You'll probably want to email gabe or tycho themselves. They don't tend to read the forums. But Robert Khoo might be able to answer you as well.

SniperGuy on
  • Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited August 2008
    We'd prefer you not include us in your app - advertising is seriously the way we put bread on the table, and at this time there really isn't a way for us to address the issue for something like a free iphone app.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    We'd prefer you not include us in your app - advertising is seriously the way we put bread on the table, and at this time there really isn't a way for us to address the issue for something like a free iphone app.
    Hey Robert,

I notice PA doesn't seem to have a mobile version. I just loaded the page up on my smartphone, and it's pretty tough to read, both for the news post and the strip. On top of that, most of your ads don't load on my phone because they're flash, and I don't have any flash player installed on the phone. For reference, I'm currently using Opera 8.65 for Windows Mobile, running on a smartphone with Windows Mobile 6. Has there been any consideration towards maybe putting together a mobile version of the front page and strip, including static-image ads to ensure you get some revenue on mobile page impressions? It might be a good way to meet the OP's desire for mobile-friendly comic reading while also making sure you guys can pay the bills. I guess the cost-benefit analysis would really depend on what percentage of your traffic comes from mobile devices, but I have to imagine that mobile traffic will only increase down the road. Just a thought.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There used to be a mobile page at penny-arcade.com/mobile but it was removed pretty quietly - I think there's a thread in Tube's Circus about it.

Edit: Haha, for got I actually created it. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=59691

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!