As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Very limited dim sum expedition on Sunday 8/31

ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle SeeressWARegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in PAX Archive
Alright n00bz, I've made some mention of this a few times and with the schedule out I've decided on a time.

Transparent, atiari, redhalo, and CaptainTapole have all expressed an interest in sampling the local dim sum with me and my wife. I think 10 is good round number for a group, so the first additional four people to want to go will get it.

We will be going to either China Gate, Honey Court, or House of Hong (decided at random day of by a process I will contrive) at 10 am on 8/31/08. Everything should wrap up about 11:30 in time for the Wil Wheaton panel.

Conditions:

a) You must be willing to split the bill evenly regardless of what or how much you eat.
b) You must be there and on time. Seriously. I hate no-shows, and with a group this small any such behavior will land you on my permanent shit list. At the very least I will be expecting somebody who can't make it to have the decency to call with an explanation.
c) You must not make an ass of yourself and embarrass me by association. I go to these places with a fair amount of frequency and I don't want to be remembered negatively by the staff.

I will PM those who get on board with my phone number. If there is more than a small amount of interest I may think about asking my wife to run a seperate group of 10.

yfrxgugaj8wu.png
ElectricTurtle on

• Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Then I would request to add non forum regulars Tweeker and Qapf. :-)

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Then I would request to add non forum regulars Tweeker and Qapf. :-)

Acknowledged, which puts open slots down to two, but a two group option may yet materialize.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm interested in this trip (with my husband of course), but how much is dim sum usually? I've never had any, so I have no clue.

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    chibidani wrote: »
    I'm interested in this trip (with my husband of course), but how much is dim sum usually? I've never had any, so I have no clue.

10 to 13 bucks depending on how much people eat. The place we usually go to is around 12 bucks per person with groups of 10 or less.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    chibidanichibidani Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks Train. If that's the case, I think we'll pass, we're running a limited budget this year. Have fun everyone!

chibidani on
    We are now gluten, dairy and corn free gamers!
    glutenfreegamer.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I don't like averages anyway. It could very well be more, I make no guarantees.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ElectricTurtle, I appreciate you extending an invitation to myself. Cost and behaviour will not be an issue for me. I defiantly look forward to hanging with you cats over some yummy dim sum.

redhalo on
  • Options
    waffleboi9waffleboi9 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, this sounds so elite and exclusive...and delicious!

I'd love to be part of this, but I will defer to others since I regularly eat good Dim Sum in San Francisco and LA, and I believe that others should be educated! =D

waffleboi9 on
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Win for me!

...Unfortunately, The Boyfriend has more sensitive stomach than anyone else in the Worlds. So, just me!

...Plus, he'll be sleeping until Wil comes around anywho.

By the by, I will have NO CLUE where any of the places are, so I am totally gonna be a follower.

EDIT--to add on more shtuff for Redy is a genius of thinking it.

Ditto with the bum-riding or the walking distance thing. Will be at the Sheraton--with nearly everyone else.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The good Captain brings up an interesting point. I too am not a local, are these places close to walk to or would I be able to bum a ride? I wouldn't even mind a cab if a few of us were going together.

And yes, this does have an exclusive feel to it. I feel so warm inside.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I consider them close enough to walk, but it seemed like everybody I went with to the ID last year complained.

I myself will probably walk.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Eh. Not that bad of a walk. I can trek it.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I consider them close enough to walk, but it seemed like everybody I went with to the ID last year complained.

Hmm, 30 minute walk seems long. especially if we want to get back for Wil. I'll probably just cab it.

redhalo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    redhalo wrote: »

Hmm, 30 minute walk seems long. especially if we want to get back for Wil. I'll probably just cab it.

...Also true. I will contemplate on this.

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is it too late to join on this? =) I'm game if there's room for one more. ;)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You're always welcome VT. That means only one space left (maybe two because I haven't heard anything from atiari in a long time).

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cool! I haven't had dim sum in a LONG time. My wife's Celiac pretty much nipped it in the bud. =( But since she's staying home and hanging out with her friends over here, I'm in the clear. ;) I don't even remember what anything on the usual Dim Sum menu tastes like it's been so long... though I do remember it being delicious. =)

(does a happy dance)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    wtnukewtnuke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What exactly is a dim sum restaurant?

wtnuke on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I did provide an explanatory link in the OP.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    wtnukewtnuke Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh, sorry, I missed the link there, heh.

wtnuke on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you have space (and you might not at this point) my bf and I would like to come. He's never had dim sum before and we were planning on going while in a city that actually serves it.

Hypatia on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think we can squeeze you in Hypatia + 1.

If anybody else is interested, say so, and we might go for another ten, but I'll leave that up to my wife.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think we can squeeze you in Hypatia + 1.

If anybody else is interested, say so, and we might go for another ten, but I'll leave that up to my wife.

Meh. This is more of your thing than mine, so I'm good with the group we have now. Besides, I don't want to plan yet another event. So, I think we're done here. Yup.

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Very well then! PMs getting sent. See you all at 10. Moe: thread can be locked if you care to.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
This discussion has been closed.