As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jogging/Swimming for Cardio/General Fitness

SeguerSeguer of the VoidSydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys,

So after working a desk job for the past six months (and not being able to play badminton each week, etc) I noticed my fitness level drop dramatically. To remedy this I've started jogging each morning, but am wary of jogging on hard concrete every day. I've heard that this can damage your knees/ankles/whatever, and the only other exercise I know that is good for cardio is swimming. There's a local swimming pool nearby (jogging distance!) which I can access quite easily. Should I continue jogging or switch to swimming, or mix it up?

tl;dr: Currently jogging, should I start swimming instead?

Seguer on

• Options
    OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you get proper shoes and pay attention to any developing pain or discomfort I can't see jogging being too bad. Obviously if your knees and/or ankles start to have problems you want to stop but unless that is happening I don't see why you should stop if you enjoy it more than swimming.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd say mix it up. The idea that running on concrete will hurt your knees has been made a myth by modern shoe design.

If you can, go to a specialty running store and they can examine your stride and match you with a shoe that is right for you.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jogging on concrete is fine; i would worry more about the impact from going down steep inclines.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As long as you don't overdo it, ramp up very gradually and have well-fitting shoes, running should pose no serious risk and if anything should make your joints and bones stronger in old age than someone who doesn't run.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Do both, as they'll compliment each other.

Rook on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably end up jogging and swimming a bit in the summer. I'll have to think about the running shoes (just using sneakers/"joggers" atm).

Seguer on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I blew my knees out running track in college. Keep the mileage low (or do what I do and split it up into two different running sessions during the day). Wintertime I go to the gym and use the elliptical machine.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    itylusitylus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cycling?

itylus on
  • Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You might also want to consider lifting weights. Weightlifting can really help your aerobic fitness by increasing your max strength level, and pretty much everybody would like bigger and stronger muscles. If you have access, give it a try. If you don't have access to weights, you should probably try to get access. Check out the fitness thread for some suggestions.

big l on