As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Toothpaste?

KyleWPetersonKyleWPeterson Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Toothpaste is one of those products where I see a million different things being advertised for it and don't know which ones, if any, are actually important. What toothpaste is the best for oral hygiene?

Kyle

KyleWPeterson on

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The one that makes you want to brush twice a day for two minutes and floss regularly. Other than that, it's all marketing.

Rook on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I worked for a dentist that told me toothpaste isn't really needed for cleaning your teeth. It's useful for whitening and freshening your breath, but the action of the bristles alone is good enough to keep your teeth clean and healthy.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    reminderGTOreminderGTO Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah just buy whatever you like/what is cheap.
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    I worked for a dentist that told me toothpaste isn't really needed for cleaning your teeth. It's useful for whitening and freshening your breath, but the action of the bristles alone is good enough to keep your teeth clean and healthy.

I work for a dentist too and I heard this as well. Could we be brothers?

reminderGTO on
    28qsde.gifZOGBY projects McCain win with 400+ EVs28qsde.gif
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My dentist told me to avoid toothpastes with sodium bicarbonate. They may help with removing stains on your teeth but they also damage them over time.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I use Aquafresh because it doesn't taste terrible. Your mileage may vary.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Just to hijack this thread ever so slightly, how often is TOO often for flossing? I was flossing after meals, but then I read elsewhere that once a day was sufficient, and I don't want to hurt my gums.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i've heard multiple times that you should floss at least twice daily, and that flossing is more important than brushing in the scheme of things.

the wook on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    All toothpaste really does is act as an abrasive, as far as I know, so it's not a big deal. I prefer ones that freshen your breath because I like the nice, clean feeling.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fluoride is important too, but as far as I know there's no such thing anymore as a toothpaste without fluoride. Maybe there's some weird 100% natural stuff out there that doesn't.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »

Perhaps not, but if you have soft, cavity-prone teeth (like me) then the fluoride is helpful.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you can afford it, get a good electric toothbrush and skip the toothpaste. With floss, those things are crazy effective. My dentist loves me for using it.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    My dentist told me to avoid toothpastes with sodium bicarbonate. They may help with removing stains on your teeth but they also damage them over time.

Baking soda? Really? It used to be recommended to brush your teeth with baking soda. Then again, doctors used to recommend smoking after meals to help digestion, too. I've been using Arm & Hammer toothpaste for years, using the peroxicare version to keep stains off my teeth. And I thought the baking soda was good for neutralizing acid that bacteria produce, which is what weakens enamel.

But still, the others are right. I've heard time and again that it's not what you brush with that counts, but rather how long and thoroughly you brush.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I used Tom's all natural toothpaste as there is chemical in regular toothpaste that caused these weird blisters inside my mouth. NO, NOT FUCKING COLD SORE HERPES!!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I used Tom's all natural toothpaste as there is chemical in regular toothpaste that caused these weird blisters inside my mouth. NO, NOT FUCKING COLD SORE HERPES!!

My friend has the same allergy, and Tom's is the only toothpaste he can use. I can't remember which specific chemical it is that he's allergic to.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »

My friend has the same allergy, and Tom's is the only toothpaste he can use. I can't remember which specific chemical it is that he's allergic to.

I recently switched to Tom's and I am pleased with the fresh sensation left in my mouth afterward.

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Yeah, there's a chemical in most toothpaste that's sole purpose is to make toothpaste foam up. Seriously. Because apparently people need foamy toothpaste. Anyway, that chemical also causes mouth sores, and some people are more sensitive than others.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    my dentist said anything with the ADA symbol on it is fine and also recommended a fluoride mouthwash as a little added protection against cavities.

tom's has both, each with an ADA approved version, so while they don't have unnecessary colors, chemicals, or junk in them, at least it's not like brushing your teeth with berries and herbs.

Kriz on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I like the total select or complete or whatever it is. You know, the fancy total toothpaste. It makes my teeth and gums feel good.

edit: wait, the one I like isnt total its the crest pro health one that ceres said.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2008
    I need to use a toothpaste with a sensitivity ingredient, because I have that thing where the grooves in my teeth are very deep, and otherwise I end up with every-fucking-thing I put in my mouth hurting my teeth. I end up using the Crest Pro-Health for nighttime.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    trantramptrantramp Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just get the colgate whitening one because well... it makes my teeth white as fuck and i've never had any problems.

trantramp on
  • Options
    TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Those are called canker sores. I get them if I bite the inside of my cheek or my tongue and then brush too soon after. Horrible, horrible things.

Trowizilla on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Trowizilla wrote: »

Those are called canker sores. I get them if I bite the inside of my cheek or my tongue and then brush too soon after. Horrible, horrible things.

No, its not canker sores. I've had canker sores when I was a kid due to poor nutrition, didn't eat my greens like my Mom warned me. It's like big tight water blisters till I went with Tom's.

I also use Listerine but only a few times a week as they can fuck up your gums I hear.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »

Yeah, there's a chemical in most toothpaste that's sole purpose is to make toothpaste foam up. Seriously. Because apparently people need foamy toothpaste. Anyway, that chemical also causes mouth sores, and some people are more sensitive than others.

Sodium lauryl sulfate, or something. I starting using toothpastes without it to cut down on canker sores and I guess it sort of worked. Still get them, just slightly less often.

I've heard that some people are super allergic to the stuff and that brushing just once with it fills their mouth with canker sores, but I'm not sure that's what was doing it for me. Non-foamy toothpaste is really weird though.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I got recommended Sensodyne by my dentist for having sensitive teeth, but after looking at the boxes in the store, the Arm and Hammer Sensitive toothpaste had the exact same amount of the desensitizing chemical as sensodyne, and is usually cheaper.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I use Sensodyne Total Care by GlaxoSmithKline. I like it. It's yummy.

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language