As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dual screening

HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
Having had my current 19" Iiyama Prolite E430 for quite some years now I am thinking of upgrading my screen. I was planning on getting dual screens since I have no reason to throw away the current one but would probably get something a different size.

I was thinking something along the lines of this: http://www.dabs.com/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4QWT&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=iiyama&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0#imagegallery

Does anyone know if the screen itself is any good or whether it will seriously slow my computer down running dual screens.

Secondarily I was thinking of plugging the 22" widescreen into my Xbox 360 and PS2. IS this possible with that Iiyama, similarly how much would it cos to get some kind of tv input for it?

Any other advice would be good, I saw a samsung screen for a bit more and it looked nice but I have always been happy with the IIyama before.

Edit: Something that syncs perfectly in height with the old E430 would be cool, but I am thinking it likely that Id' just be better off going as large as possible on the new one.

Hedwirez on

• Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's not got HCDP, so I'm not sure if it'd cope with an HDMI input, but VGA should work fine with the Xbox.

I've always heard dual screens is rather a boost to productivity. Most computers should be fine with it, at least just doing normal work stuff.

You can get 22" for far less than that, and 20" would have the same resolution, so you might want to consider a cheaper one or a 20" one. But whatever, I'm no expert.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In windows, you generally won't get a slow-down with multiple displays unless the RAMDACs on your card can't handle whatever resolutions you're using. I assume you're using a single video card to drive your display, so essentially, if the card can drive the single display at speed, it'll have no issue driving two displays also at speed.

You'll take a bit of a hit in 3d gaming when you have two displays run off one card (15-20% in Quake 3 I think... though not an ideal benchmark these days... just the one I used to test multi-display induced performance changes). If the hit is noticeable to you, you can always disable the second display for the duration of your gaming session. If you're driving two displays off two separate cards, the hit is very minimal. One display off a discrete card and one display off an integrated GPU seems to be less of a hit than two displays off a 4850, but I still get a performance penalty, which I'm assuming is from the GPU stealing some system memory / bandwidth. Not all integrated video will let itself run at the same time as a discrete card, but it's a more and more common feature these days.

As mentioned, VGA works great for the X-Box, official vga cables abound and I'm sure there are cheaper knock-offs, too. If your display supports it, this'll also give you high def support, which is nice. No idea on vga cables for the ps2 as I've never owned one, but at worst you could pick up a cheap USB tv tuner for it if you can't get VGA cables.

Best luck. I love multi-monitor setups.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anybody know how to get different wallpapers on dual screen monitors in Vista?

Also anyone notice that XP is a lot more easy going about some things about dual screening that Vista seems to be?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BigDes wrote: »

Also anyone notice that XP is a lot more easy going about some things about dual screening that Vista seems to be?

Anyone who has 2 or more monitors and doesnt have Ultramon is doing it wrong (whether its XP or Vista).

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ultramon? Intriguing.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LoafgoatLoafgoat Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    bigwah wrote: »

Anyone who has 2 or more monitors and doesnt have Ultramon is doing it wrong (whether its XP or Vista).

This. A thousand times this.

Loafgoat on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Loafgoat wrote: »
    bigwah wrote: »

This. A thousand times this.

Or probably not, as spending $35 for a monitor toy might be a bit expensive. Increased functionality vs cost of product does not equate in my situation.

halkun on
  • Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/6193662/Samsung-SyncMaster-2253BW-22-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/Product.html

I found this which seems pretty cheap. However it doesnt seem to have VGA connectors. Will that mean I can't run my xbox 360 through it?

Hedwirez on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/6193662/Samsung-SyncMaster-2253BW-22-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/Product.html

I found this which seems pretty cheap. However it doesnt seem to have VGA connectors. Will that mean I can't run my xbox 360 through it?
    15-pin D-sub is VGA.

corky842 on