As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

kaboooooooooom

ohdeeohdee Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hi guys, haven't been here in ages, just thought I'd share some stuff for you to like/hate/ignore at will.

Actually wondering if anyone does anything art related here as a job or gets any sort of income from it as I'm kinda interested in poking around the area (that's only dirty in your mind). Sorry if I posted too many, it's so easy to copy and paste from my photobucket.

xudebrick76b.jpg
SkullsuitWoolies.jpg
xudebrick74c.jpg
xudebrick67.jpg
xudebrick68.jpg
xudebrick66.jpg
xudebrick60b.jpg

Let me know if you want more. I have pages and pages of the shit.
Any tips/advice/feedback more than welcome. But please don't try to tear my heart out I'm a delicate creature [/img]

makes music and draws
ohdee on

• Options
    edited September 2006
    oh and um just incase anyone gives a shit all the spraypaint stuff is actually legal. cheers!

ohdee on
    makes music and draws
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    How big are these? Usually when I venture out of 8.5x11 territory I begin to loose my grasp on proportions... not that I ever had it in the first place.

Nice style!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Let's see some Wu-Tang tributes

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    ha. funnily enough the watercolour pencil one at the top was a suggested album cover artwork for some cat who got in touch with me who had something to do with wu tang's label.
    Of course, nothing is gonna come of it, just a funny story

ohdee on
    makes music and draws
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    So, do you work at a Volvo dealership or something? Anyway the art is super fresh. Lets see more. I'd tell you the piece that I enjoyed the most but, It would be damn near impossible to pick just one of these.

Oh, and nobody around here would harp on you for illegal graffiti. Except for Staleghoti. He is the undercover fuzz.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Kuro HouKuro Hou Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hell man, if I had a building I'd let you...

[consults Street->English Translator]

"...tag that mutha up....Yo"

I really like most of these, 1 & 3 not so much, but the others are really something else. Are these done entirely with spraypaint? I'd imagine the fact that these are legal allows you some time to actually lay down some ground work ahead of time. Outlines and whatnot. But I can't imagine getting such even coating and solid lines using just a spraycan.

Look forward to seeing more.

Kuro Hou on
    "For a man who looks like a garden gnome, you sure have a lot of demands."

I dare you to make less sense.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yeah the thing sbaout spraypaint is that it's a really difficult medium to work with until you learn cutbacks, which is like.... for example using the fill colour on either side of a line to thin the line out, or taper it to a point. It's basically an art in itself because you end up having to work out what you want to do in stages. Thanks very much for the comments dudes

Oh and yeah legals are my fave coz I'd rather do something artistic than straight out bombing (though I still do a little of that)

Here are some more

xudebrick80.jpg
    xudebrick79b.jpg
    (that was a one off, not my word but a random word)
    xudebrick70.jpg
    xudebrick85b.jpg
    (another random sketch)
    xudebrick84d.jpg

um yeah any advice/tips/questions/ANYTHING more than welcome
    I'd be nice to see what other actual artists like you guys think.
    The graffito community here has been really cool, but I'm really interested in seeing what other types of artists have to say.

Thanks a lot guys

Oh and Magic Toaster - yeah scale becomes a problem when going big. Requires a lot of stepping back from the wall and looking at the sketch in comparison to the wall to make sure it's translating well. Takes a bit of getting used to :)

ohdee on
    makes music and draws
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I would love to see picture #2 on shirt, that would kick ass. Don't mean to say your shirt is only worth being on a shirt but damn would it make a sweet shirt. Maybe you should talk to tanktheory.com.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    ButchersBlindButchersBlind Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    All of the faces are really good, and i especially love the rabbit.
    way to go man, its actuelly really hard for me to be impressed by graffiti art! :D
    edit: i just noticed the skeleton in #3 of the first bunch, and that my friend, is awesome. I can only appreciate graffiti when it is truly made as a piece of art and your definately up there mate.

ButchersBlind on
    mouse3.jpg
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I really really love your stuff, a lot. You know im into graf, I saw you posted in my thread. I like your letters a lot, got a little european style but still has lots of structure. I love your characters though. How long have you been drawing for/how old are you? Also, where are you from?

What brand of paint is that in the 3rd pic, second post? looks like fun. heh.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Chop Logic - :) I wouldn't consider my stuff to have much of a euro influence, but it's a dope compliment, those european cats are completely nuts when it comes to graffiti.

I'm 23 and have been drawing since I was two, but have only really recently moved over from biting akira. Grew up with anime, then kinda realised that this style gels with me a lot more. So I made the switch.
    Have been painting (aerosols) for about 6 months or so, not really that long. I'm from Perth in Western Australia. I think the post you were talking about.... was mostly beltons. Pretty much the best paint, but it's expensive. I try to only use it on stuff where I'm really taking my time and getting it right.

ButchersBlind - Thanks a lot mate, really appreciate it

Gafoto - thanks a lot for the link, man. I'll definitely check it out :)

Think I might try and paint Gabe and Tycho when I get back from my trip :) Should be fun

ohdee on
    makes music and draws
  • Options
    Sam :)Sam :) Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I would be interested in knowing how you come up with the designs. What I mean is - drawing humans usually involves first sketching/blocking out the general form and volume and then inking/painting/whatever. So I would like to know if grafiti has it's own construktion techniques, cause I sure as hell can't do such advanced lettering as you do!

Also, can you as a grafitti-artist read other peoples grafitti? Or is it as hard for you as it is for me? (I can't make out much at all)

Anyways, looks really nice.

Sam :) on
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Unbelieveably kickass art, have always, and will always envy the ones who can draw/paint.

How do you control the spray paint flow anyway, everytime I give a shot at doing something with spray paint, it turns out to be nothing more than droplets and... sprays of paint.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Sam:) - I can read the vast majority of it, but yeah some of the more complicated pieces can take a few mins of staring at. Usually, with local graffiti (where you tend to know or know of many of the artists involved), everyone has their own style so if you're in the scene you read the style as well as the letters.

As far as adopting characters from a human form. Well I dunno, I don't really have a set plan. I've been drawing since I was two so a lot of it's more nature worked out from fucking things up over and over rather than a system of any sort of intelligence ;-)
    But the process is usually pencil, pen, erase the pencil, fatten up some of the pen lines for emphasis where I want to and then either colour it in, or scan and colour on the computer or take it to a wall and try to paint it.

For letters..... well they tend to take a while to learn, you really gotta be in it for the long run. What I did was, when I saw a piece I liked, I'd get right into it, analyzing all the little techniques. Every letter is made up of a series of 'brush strokes' rather than one blob. Look at some good pieces and look at how the brush strokes meet each other, link up, twist, bend etc. It'll take ages though, so have patience :)

Inzigna - Controlling spray paint is really fucking hard until you work out a few things.

* if you want to fill with a colour, hold the can about oooh 20 cms away from the wall. It won't drip and will apply nicely. For a thin line, make sure you have a thin nib (what kind of thin nibs you have vary depending on where you are in the world. Over here we have mainly grey and gold dot nibs.... and I use blue dots to fill) and spray while holding the can REAL close to the wall and move quickly or else it'll drip.

If you don't like a line you did? Fuck it, paint over it. That's the beauty of the medium.

The best way to learn that I've come across so far is to get as large a surface as you can in your back yard and paint it over and over. I nicked a door and painted that over and over while I was learning.

Sorry I'm so fucking verbose, hope you cats don't mind

ohdee on
    makes music and draws
  • Options
    scottmhallettscottmhallett Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I really dig this. I think alot of these design would translate well into a comic or tattoo design.

scottmhallett on
    smhTtlSM.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yeah I'd like to do comics and I've tried but I'm shit at writing stories and doing one panel alone would take me like... about a day. Might be doing some work for a mate of mine who is starting a clothing label.... hmm

Managed to do this today (pen on paper and then scanned and coloured using paint shop 4 demo technology)

xudebrick86sml.jpg

and it took like all bloody day.
    Kenny Muhammad, incidcentally is a beatboxer. A very, very fucking good one. If you get bored I recommend doing a search for him on youtube. pce

ohdee on
    makes music and draws
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I just love it how grafitti can be some of the best art out there, but in the end it's all still treated by the majority as hoodlum tomfoolery.

There's a book at my local Borders with nothing but top-quality grafitti art, and when a little more money rolls in, i'll be sure to pick it up.

On a side note, i'm having major problem reading the words that are tagged on the walls in the first, second, and well, final batch of pictures posted here. Hell, if you didn't tell me in that last picture that his name was Kenny Muhammad, i'd of never figured it out.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Just wanted to ask about comics, too ^^' and then saw that it was already mentioned. I think that Mr.Skeleton from pic2 would be a good comic character.

Keep on doing awesome stuff because it appears to me that it's extra hard to get a good job in that medium. The styles always look too familar for me so I think that's a main problem :?

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    DuckM4nDuckM4n Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Very, very cool!

DuckM4n on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Awesome man, I've always been really interested in graffiti. And I'm totally diggin your stuff. Btw Kenny Muhammad = badass i love hip hop

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Man, I've said it before, but I'll say it again, your art is awesome.

I'd give you the internet if I could, but as a consolation, you could have every ounce of my respect.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Godfather - Graffiti is becoming more and more accepted by the day. I think a lot of us are thankful for the fact that a lot of people still view what we do on the whole as rubbish, because we all know that when the entire population likes something, it becomes very watered down and controlled.

The words are as follows

(no words in the first lot of pics)

second lot
    *pic two is a piece that says *phew*
    * pic three just has my signoff and a shout to my crew inside the circle created by his arm
    *pic three says afekt in fairly illegible evil wildstyle. I honestly don'tr blame you for not making heads of tails of that,I think most people would have to stare at it a bit. Hint: the first letter is a lowercase a
    * pic four... the blue piece says flops. he's a mate of mine

Ape2001 - the styles in what medium do you mean look familiar? Comics or graff?
    I'll probably agree either way actually ahah

Prospicience - Yeah dude it's killer, the sheer amount of people who know who this cat is - I wish one of you bastards told me about him earlier! I only found out because of that battle mp3 of him and rahzel taking on the twi scratch DJs.
    "We'll crush you like some ricecakes!"

Inzigna - fuckin champ mate :)

I got a deviantart site set up if you guys ever feel like killing some time. Add me if you're on deviantart and we can have a chat n shit. You guys all seem like real decent people. Have a good day the lotta ya :)

http://orangedust.deviantart.com

ohdee on
    makes music and draws
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Feeeed meeee.

Cool shit so far, looking forward to new stuff, any possibility of making a kickass wallpaper?

:^:

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    cool graffitti stuff...
    I remember one episode in The Apprentice, where Donald Trump assigned
    the contestant task about grafitti.
    The game company want to use it as the advertising. I don't remember
    what is the company and the game...
    somebody can refresh me up?
    :)

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    vrempire wrote:
    cool graffitti stuff...
    I remember one episode in The Apprentice, where Donald Trump assigned
    the contestant task about grafitti.
    The game company want to use it as the advertising. I don't remember
    what is the company and the game...
    somebody can refresh me up?
    :)

Ah, Sony, Gran Turismo 4 I think.

Honestly? They fucked it up.

To quote a member of one of the team: "I love the game, I play it everyday, and like how we represented, game's all about bling."

LOL.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    hoooly shit, ohdee, those are fucking nice. we need people like you around my area, not these shitty one-color throwups I see everywhere...

you've inspired me!

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Options
    BongoBongo Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    These are fucking ace. I really really dig the color range, pretty underused IMO. They really fit with your style.

Bongo on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Honestly, this stuff is amazing. Would you mind if I use
    xudebrick68.jpg as a concept for a tattoo piece? I've been looking for a few graffiti pieces to get put on me, and this one is just about perfect for the intent I'm going for.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    ^ Yeah mate all good, no problem at all, post it here when it's done I'd love to see it :)

HQ_Rubik_and_Troll__by_CharacterAss.jpg
    Funny wall my mate and I painted when I had the flu recently
    I did the guy on the left in purple and the blue 3la piece (we're in the same crew) at the top

xudebrick89.jpg
    weird watercolour pencil and ink shit

xudebrick025sml.jpg
    canvas from a while back

xudebrick024sml.jpg
    another canvas from a while back

xudebrick021sml.jpg
    don't know if I've posted this yet

Thanks for all the encouragement, guys. That bling quote was fucking classic by the way :)

Unfortunately I don't tend to save my images much larger than say 800 pixels in height and whatever correspending width. Hmmm I'll think about it though. Next time I do anything wider than it is high I'll try and make it wallpaper size. What is the typical resolution these days?
    1024x768 or should I go higher?

ohdee on
    makes music and draws
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Those first 2 canvas paintings win so fucking hard.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    BelieveBelieve Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    This thread wins so fucking hard.
    Fixed for more appropriateness.

Maybe just me since I know so little about graffiti art, but those are really damn sexy. MAN I wish I could graffiti. :x

Believe on
  • Options
    freekfreek Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I'd love to see your process. And that first canvas from that last post rocks ass. I know it's huge, but is there anyway to get a better picture of it?

freek on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Spray paint on canvas is sexier than I ever could have imagined.. I might actually have to try it sometime. I assume it took an assload of masking

Rye on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yeah dude all you need is a few tins, some newspaper for stencilling and an artline100 (those bigass markers work really well over paint because they have a heavy ink flow. A lot of markers will dry up when you use em over paint)

The ninja canvas was pretty easy, i painited the background, cut the general shape of the ninja out from newspaper, carefully blu-tacked it onto the canvas, painted the white highlights around the outside and then coloured the black in with marker. )edit: Oh yeah and I used the white painted marker i mentiojed below for the ribbons coming off the mask that extend off to the left as well as some black marker.... and artline 70.... hehe which i killed by using over paint ahah)

Similar for the green faced mafia dude except I did two layers for stencilling the face so I could do a bit of dark and light, coz I happened to have two greens at the time.

Stencils can be used to isolate an area you want to paint (like normal stencils... a big shield with little bits cut out for the paint to go through) OR you can use them in reverse, which I like doing... where you cut out a shape and stick it on and paint around it, leaving the area under ste stencil bare.

..... which is how I kept the white for the character bare on this one
    rudebeak60b.jpg
    (it's a bit old, some of the paint work is sloppy)

um here's some more shit
    rudebeak65.jpg

ah here's the other canvas
    xudebrick007.jpg
    basically.... sp[ray on the general shape of the character.... is actually looks better is you mess it up a bit and don't get it very clean because it contraqsts with the sharp angular outlines you can put on later on. Just make sure it's an artline 100, most other pens die like I mentioned above

Oh and I got this thuing called a painter pen (a white one obviously) for the highlights. It works a fucking treat.

That's how I do canvases. The markers and the cans I think compliment each other pretty well and you can churn out one of these in an afternoon if you have it planned out in your mind.

Pce guys!

And um unfortunately no I don't have a bigger pic of that ninja canvas. The funny thing is the camera turned it blue, it's actually flat black and white. Looks better blue though ;-) Tempted to lightly spray some electric blue over the whole thing but scared of fucking it up

ohdee on
    makes music and draws
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    watercolour markers are dope
    xudebrick90b.jpg
    xudebrick91.jpg
    xudebrick92b.jpg

ohdee on
    makes music and draws
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Damn, I kive your shit so much. You've inspired me to try watercolors and markers together in my art class.

How old are you?

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    God damn.

Everything from the Ninja canvas down gave me chills. It's just so beautiful; highly stylized and seeping with cool.

Seriously, your grafitti is starting to make many other forms of art seem boring to me. I love the other mediums to death, but no other medium would capture the same energy as it does with grafitti. The characters and colors just explode in your face.

It's truly a pleasure to view.

Godfather on
  • Options
    TheKozTheKoz Registered User new member
    edited September 2006
    Cool art, and nice control on the graffti.

TheKoz on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Smooth awesomeness continues ^^ Really nice to watch how you play with the colours and shapes. xudebrick021sml.jpg is my fav.
    Do you have something with structures, too?

Ment the graffity section (on page 1 of the thread).

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    There ought to be a graffiti museum other than the city of Chicago.

Tam on