As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e Discussion] ITT: Metaposting is ruining the immersion in the thread

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Critical Failures
Okay, so the old 4e thread was well past 100 and I felt like making my own. With hookers. And blackjack. Know what? Screw the thread.

Scroll Warning:
20080606_rd_0.jpg

Why yes, We do have Dragons.

Dungeons and Dragons: Fourth Edition

This is the thread for the fourth edition of the Dungeons & Dragons game. All discussion herein is to have some shit to do with the Dungeons and Dragons game. We've got the three core books in hand, released June 6th. They are:

products_dndacc_217367200_lgpic.jpg
The Player's Handbook. This is the general guide to the D&D game that a player needs. It's got the combat rules and stuff like that, alon g with the classes:

The Races:
First off, races now provide only benefits and no negatives. Also, sorry if you liked the Gnome or Half-Orc, they'll be in PHB2, though the gnome is playable out of the monster manual. The gnome is also a monster, rarr.
The Dragonborn:
Not those pussies from 3E's draconomicon, these guys are badasses with a racial breath weapon. They make excellent Warlords, Paladins, and Fighters.

The Dwarves:
They're wise and tough as nails, pretty much the best categorization of the tough dwarf I've seen in tabletop roleplaying games. They make great Paladins, Clerics, and Fighters.

The Eladrin:
The "Elves" of last edition were split into two different races this time. The eladrin live in ridiculously magical feywild cities and make good wizards, warlords, and rangers. They can also teleport as a racial ability. Sweet sorcery, bro.

also Elves Elves lol.

The Elves:
The other half of the elves from last time, they're forest living guys who are really accurate. They make good rangers, rogues, and clerics. See what I mean by Elves lol?

The Half-Elves:
Proof that humans will screw anything. They're pretty tough and personable, and make excellent multiclassers. They make good warlords, paladins, and warlocks.

The Halflings:
Short, fat... actually no, these are about as far from tolkien's halflings as a fat american on his couch eating potato chips is from a bush tribesman in africa. Except they both speak english. Halflings continue their tradition of being really lucky and quick, as well as make excellent rogues, rangers, and warlocks.

The Humans:
Look in the Mirror. They're good at everything again and are the most adaptable, again. They make good anythings.

The Tieflings:
Blah blah blah our ancestors made pacts with devils and we're not half-breeds anymore. We get angry really well as a racial ability. We're also merciless, etc. We make good Warlocks, Warlords, or Rogues.

Also they really AREN'T the same tieflings we've had for 20 years.

Introducing the Classes:
Every class now has a "Role" within the party, and a party is recommended to have every role represented to succeed, though it need not have to. It is considered "pro" to have proper party balance.
The Cleric:
Is classified as a Leader.

He's the priest of a god with some pretty wicked spells to heal his allies and disable his enemies. Usually at the same time. Rarely will the cleric spend entire turns casting Cure Light Wounds.
The Fighter:
Is classified as a Defender.

He's a badass with a sword and board or a Two handed weapon, his job on the battlefield is to keep the enemies from stomping his friends, and he can do so with a variety of weapons, which all behave differently depending on how you choose your powers.
The Paladin:
Is classified as a Defender.

This guy is the champion of a deity, who uses some pretty powerful melee spells to lay waste to the enemy. He does alot of glowing holy magical energy damage, too. He also uses either a sword and shield or two handed weapon. His crappy spellcasting from previous editions has been replaced by a whole host of wicked awesome prayers that can heal his allies and smite his enemies.
The Ranger:
Is classified as a Striker.

This guy can use either a bow or two one handed weapons to mercilessly mutilate his enemies. He can also designate specific enemies as his quarry, this includes a giant glowing red arrow above their head.

Because this game is now WoW.
The Rogue:

Is only good for picking locks and disarming traps, not really though. Sneak attack has been toned down a bit, but the rogue's huge damage boost makes up for it, because he really tears shit up with some pretty awesome powers.
The Warlock:

Makes soul selling pacts with either Fey, Demons, or Cthulhu. Fires blasts of eldritch energy and murders people. Also, curses people so that he deals even more damage.

Strikers are nuts.
The Warlord:
Is classified as a Leader.

This is the new class focused on tactics and inspiring your fellows. He's pretty cool and can actually replace a cleric in your party very effectively, and he brings a different playstyle to the table too. Cleric Inc. hates him for breaking its monopoly on this role.
The Wizard:
Is the only Controller.

The wizard is good at killing lots of enemies, very fast. He's not as amazingly and unstoppably powerful as he used to be, but still is pretty cool.

PHB II is slated for release this coming March, and will contain Barbarians, Bards, Druids, and Sorcerers as well as Gnomes. Psionics are high on the list for PHB II but the fear is there's not enough room for them, and thus they will be left for PHB III along with Psions themselves.

products_dndacc_217207200_lgpic.jpg
The Monster Manual is full of Monsters. Only the DM really needs this. The highest level monster in here is Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead (He's one of those guys who you pronounce the whole name on, in my opinion) at level 33.

MM II is slated for this coming May.

products_dndacc_217507200_lgpic.jpg
The Dungeon Master's Guide

The DM needs this, it provides all kinds of good stuff for him to learn to run the game. Having read through it, it actually provides good information on how to run a game.

DM/Player Tools and Helpful Links

The Current Release Schedule, Courtesy of the Wizards forums:
Core Supplements:
Adventurer's Vault: A Guide to Weapons, Equipment, and Treasure for Your Character (September 16, 2008)
Dungeon Master's Guide: Deluxe Edition, 4e (October 21, 2008)
Martial Power: 4e Supplement (October 21, 2008)
Monster Manual: Deluxe Edition, 4e (October 21, 2008)
Player's Handbook: Deluxe Edition, 4e (October 21, 2008)
Draconomicon I: Chromatic Dragons (November 18, 2008)
Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set (November 18, 2008)
Manual of the Planes (December 16, 2008)
Open Grave: Secrets of the Undead (January 20, 2009)
Dungeon Delve: 4e Supplement (February 17, 2009)
Player's Handbook II (March 17, 2009)
Arcane Power: 4E Supplement (April, 2009)
Monster Manual II (May, 2009)
Divine Power: 4E Supplement (July, 2009)
Adventurer's Vault II (August, 2009)

Core Modules:
Thunderspire Labyrinth; H2 Adventure (July 15, 2008)
Pyramid of Shadows; H3 Adventure (August 19, 2008)
King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; P1 Adventure (October 21, 2008)
Demon Queen's Enclave; P2 Adventure (December 16, 2008)
Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress; P3 Adventure (March 17, 2009)
Death's Reach; E1 Adventure (April 2009)
Kingdom of the Ghouls; E2 Adventure (June, 2009)
Revenge of the Giants; "Super" Adventure (August, 2009)

Forgotten Realms:
Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide (August 19, 2008)
Forgotten Realms Players Guide (September 16, 2008)
Scepter Tower of Spellguard; FR1 Adventure (September 16, 2008)

Eberron:
Eberron Campaign Guide (June, 2009)
Eberron Player's Guide (July, 2009)
Secrets of the Ashen Crown; EB1 Adventure? (July, 2009)

Misc.:
Dungeons & Dragons Character Record Sheets (July 15, 2008)
Dungeons & Dragons 4e for Dummies (July 15, 2008)
Dungeons & Dragons Premium Dice (July 15, 2008)
Halls of the Giant Kings; DU1 Dungeon Tiles (July 15, 2008)
Dungeon Master's Screen (August 19, 2008)
Streets of Shadows; DU2 Dungeon Tiles (October 21, 2008)
Dungeon Master 4e for Dummies (November 17, 2008)
Caves of Carnage; (DU3 ?) Dungeon Tiles (February 17, 2009)
Player's Handbook Power Cards (March, 2009)
Martial Power Cards (March, 2009)
Player's Handbook II Power Cards (May,2009) Arcane Towers; DU4 Dungeon Tiles (June, 2009)
Arcane Power Cards (August, 2009)

And now for the rumor mill:

Half-Orcs rumored to be included in D&D Insider
Artificer class will be introduced in the Eberron guide
Swordmage class will be introduced in the Forgotten Realms guide, as will the Drow and Genasi races

More can be found here

Thanks to Maticore for the OP. OP updated August 18th, overhauled slightly.

Since I know you guys love creating, I just wanted to point out that the mags are taking submissions for 4e stuff and the payment is .06 cents per word. So write a 10,000 word adventure or something for a quick 600 bucks if they accept. :DMore info here!

Goose! on

• Options
    KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I want my XP now.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does anyone know which book the Drow get racial feats in?
    I'm assuming the FR player's guide, but not sure....

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Does anyone know which book the Drow get racial feats in?
    I'm assuming the FR player's guide, but not sure....

Yep, the Forgotten Realms players guide will have racial feats for both Drow and Genasi.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Can you please change the link in the OP for H1 for maptools to the updated version here.

And add a link to the Rescue at Rivenroar campaign.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I am going to make a 2nd "Making moar monsters" thread. This time with general improvements to the layout and without the damn link muppetry. I'll automatically convert peoples monsters into correct format and make stat blocks (in jPEG or PNG form, I dunno, one of those) that I will stick online for each monster. This is to reduce the huge link spam and such, plus hopefully make it so I don't get endlessly confused all the time updating the original post.

This will take me a bit of time. I'll add 20-30 monsters of my own that I've used and playtested (and that I'm certain won't end up in TPKs) as well.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Woah, Aegeri, that is bad ass. I can't wait to see it!

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm waiting for the Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide with baited breath so I can FINALLY make a proper race / class combination for my character Arlen. Sword Mage is looking to fit what I've always wanted him to be in a big way and the Flamesoul Genasi race is looking solid.

Also, as a DM, I'm not sure I'm cool with action points right now. It seems to basically give the character the ability to completely destroy every other encounter unless I buff it up. But if I buff it up, then I've wasted the entire point of action points, by changing the encounter to one that REQUIRES action points to win. Argh.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    LeemoLeemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm waiting for the Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide with baited breath so I can FINALLY make a proper race / class combination for my character Arlen. Sword Mage is looking to fit what I've always wanted him to be in a big way and the Flamesoul Genasi race is looking solid.

Also, as a DM, I'm not sure I'm cool with action points right now. It seems to basically give the character the ability to completely destroy every other encounter unless I buff it up. But if I buff it up, then I've wasted the entire point of action points, by changing the encounter to one that REQUIRES action points to win. Argh.

Action points aren't something I've ever seen cause any imbalance. Particularly in the heroic tier, they're just giving a player two standard actions for one round, possibly with a small buff if there's a Warlord in the party or if it's a human using one.

One extra attack shouldn't really unbalance anything, with the typical heroic tier encounter going for 5-15 rounds of combat, and with monsters generally front loading (i.e. using their recharge and encounter abilities as quickly as possible).

In paragon it gets a bit trickier, especially with a Warlord around, because the attacks using action points are substantially nastier than those without, but that's balanced against in the monster difficulty at those levels, too.

Could you elaborate on why they're causing you such grief, with maybe examples?

Leemo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I know why it's causing grief. We play with high ability characters, so when they use their action points, they're far more likely to be successful. It's just a matter of adjusting encounters to match. The group has 5 members and to adjust, I usually make them face what 6 characters would and it seems to even things out a bit. If I use standard encounter balance, they breeze through it. Basically, it feels like using an action point should be a daily ability with how we're playing.

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    They should breeze through an encounter of their own level. The game is actually designed this way. A hard fight in DnD is EL + 2. A really pressing fight is EL + 3. A potentially lethal fight is EL + 4. Similarly, monsters of more than around seven levels are generally on the high end of what a party can hit. It's worth noting that some creatures, like Ghouls, are just astoundingly powerful if they can pull off their attacks. Try an encounter with 2 ghouls. To make things more funthrow in a couple of deathlock wights to the party and a specter. Should work out to be EL 6 or something like this (can't recall off the top of my head). They should hate you for it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I know why it's causing grief. We play with high ability characters, so when they use their action points, they're far more likely to be successful. It's just a matter of adjusting encounters to match. The group has 5 members and to adjust, I usually make them face what 6 characters would and it seems to even things out a bit. If I use standard encounter balance, they breeze through it. Basically, it feels like using an action point should be a daily ability with how we're playing.

If by high-ability, you mean that you've opted for a point-buy of greater than 22, or a standard array that's similar, your characters are probably all effectively 1-2 levels above their actual level.

If, for instance, you are using a 30 point buy, you should really be considering your party to be level+2 above what they are, albeit on the lower end of that.

This isn't really an action point thing, although that is probably the most obvious time. Without the action point expenditure, all that would be happening is that they'd be taking an extra round to do what they're already doing.

And, as Aegeri said, they should more or less breeze through at least half their encounters -- they're really just there to suck away some healing surges, and provide for a more epic feeling to the whole thing.

Leemo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This week, I'm just gonna let it ride and not adjust anything (excepting the big fights) and see how it goes.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    For example, in my campaign in the Dragons Arena my players will be level 4, the encounter order goes (for all 10 encounters at the moment)

1) EL1 (The Dragons do have a sense of humour)
    2) EL3
    3) EL4
    4) EL4
    5) EL5
    6) EL5
    7) EL7
    8) EL8
    9) EL9 (Two level five solos)
    10) EL9 (they will have leveled up either before or after encounter 8, I can't remember the maths off the top of my head, so this is EL +4 and is the final encounter).

I expect my players to not really be very pressed up until the really difficult fights in encounter seven to ten, which are well above their party level.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm running Keep on the Shadowfell for now while we learn the new system, then I'll be doing my own homebrew campaign. Wizards actually puts a good deal of thought into their adventures and every encounter has a little twist to it, which makes me want to extend the encounters a bit (not end them in 5 or 6 rounds); it seems a waste not to use them to their full potential.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Reading the awesome characters thread makes me a bit sad. I've never had a character get beyond level 5(ish) without dying. I've always wanted to see the epic potential of my characters, but I've never gotten there. At least in 4E I can use some actual powers right off the bat so that I at least feel like a real hero.

Denada on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, I know what you mean, Ive had one character that did anything worth mentioning, and Ive already told that story in the thread. Actually its in the bad moves thread, cause man, causing the apocalypse is a pretty not ok thing.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I've just got my PHB in the mail in preparation for my very first D&D game on Friday (with the Euro group here on PA). I've made my character sheet here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=76344

Would somebody mind giving it a once-over to see if I've made any glaring errors?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    So I've just got my PHB in the mail in preparation for my very first D&D game on Friday (with the Euro group here on PA). I've made my character sheet here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=76344

Would somebody mind giving it a once-over to see if I've made any glaring errors?

You have sleep and not flaming sphere

Your Constitution is 8, and you're using staff of defense(your con is 8 as a wizard period is a big no no)

You have 5 attribute points unspent.

Try

[Decent wisdom for thunderwave/epic wisdom feats)

Or

[Screw thunderwave for more con!]

Or

[Screw Thunderwave for Paragon tier Arcane Reach]

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, you have 5 more stat points to spend. I would bump INT to an 18 and spend the other three points as desired (maybe WIS to 16, DEX to 12).

Add one more class skill.

If you are a Wisdom wizard, you should take orb mastery. The thunderwave and/or ray of frost powers are good choices for that mastery, though cloud of daggers is decent.

The human bonus to defenses does not apply to Armor Class.

You have 30g left and should note that somewhere on your character sheet. I also suggest you collapse all the items from the standard adventurer's kit to one line labeled "SAK". It will make your equipment list look less cluttered. You also do not need to list cloth armor, as all characters start with cloth armor for free.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    He has the 30 gp listed.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    cytorakcytorak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The FR book will have more classes and races? Sweet.

cytorak on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Okay, changed the stats to Goumindong's second suggestion, added another skill, swapped out Sleep for Flaming Sphere. I'm going for an Intelligence based character (he's not especially wise, lacks some common sense and so on). I actually had my character concept in my head for a while, and I'm only now trying to fit it to a character sheet.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    cytorak wrote: »
    The FR book will have more classes and races? Sweet.

It has one new class, the Swordmage and the Drow and Genasi as playable races. I'm not sure if it has anything else.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    It has one new class, the Swordmage and the Drow and Genasi as playable races. I'm not sure if it has anything else.
    Do we know that there will be a multiclass feat for Swordmage multi?
    Again, I assume so, since it would be kind of stupid not to, but has there been confirmation?

Alternatively: linkpls?

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've had a rather interesting experience with a character.

I have an inspiring warlord, with suitably inspiring powers.

He was just put into a situation where his spirit was pretty thoroughly broken.

I know a He's back moment is coming pretty soon, but hell if I know how to actually have him in character during combat aside from just using basic attack all the time.

Edit: Also, are the Swordmage and races in the Campaign Guide or the Player's Handbook?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide

The Campaign Guide is a boring as sin history of the realms written in some lame calligraphy font and has a number of regional paragon paths.

>.>

<.<

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It also has a number of regional paragon paths

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It has an adventure too.

The "Player's Guide" will have the rules for drow, genasi, and swordmages, as well as (supposedly) new feats and powers.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Okay, changed the stats to Goumindong's second suggestion, added another skill, swapped out Sleep for Flaming Sphere. I'm going for an Intelligence based character (he's not especially wise, lacks some common sense and so on). I actually had my character concept in my head for a while, and I'm only now trying to fit it to a character sheet.

Ditch cloud of daggers now that your WIS is a 10. Since thunderwave will be equally gimped, I suggest you take ray of frost, or illusory ambush from Dragon 364.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    delroland wrote: »

Ditch cloud of daggers now that your WIS is a 10. Since thunderwave will be equally gimped, I suggest you take ray of frost, or illusory ambush from Dragon 364.

A lot of DMs outright ban anything that appears only in Dragon, so Ray of Frost is probably a safer option. Also, it's fairly pimp regardless.

Leemo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Erm, maybe in 3E, but so far all the Dragon 4E content has been pretty balanced.

Edit: the only difference here being that one does cold damage vs. Fort and slows the target, whereas the other does psychic damage vs. Will and inflicts a -2 attack penalty.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I cant seem to find that Illusory Ambush, maybe you could point me in its direction? I did a search on the wizards site and it didnt come up with anything.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm counting 3 differences there, Del.

Armored Gorilla on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm counting 3 differences there, Del.

Everyone likes a tight ass, no one likes a smart ass. :P

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lardalish wrote: »
    I cant seem to find that Illusory Ambush, maybe you could point me in its direction? I did a search on the wizards site and it didnt come up with anything.

Here's the link to the article.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Erm, maybe in 3E, but so far all the Dragon 4E content has been pretty balanced.

Edit: the only difference here being that one does cold damage vs. Fort and slows the target, whereas the other does psychic damage vs. Will and inflicts a -2 attack penalty.

Also synergizes with a paragon tier ability to give you an At-Will against the weakest defense in the MM that imposes a -4 attack penalty, for the cost of 1 feat that has additional uses, besides.

Leemo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Well thats why the search turned nothing up, its in a pdf. But yeah thats a pretty great spell, maybe Ill make a gnome "illusionist" when eberron comes out.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Leemo wrote: »

Also synergizes with a paragon tier ability to give you an At-Will against the weakest defense in the MM that imposes a -4 attack penalty, for the cost of 1 feat that has additional uses, besides.

Whoop-de-do? There are significantly more broken combos out there.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Changed. I didn't notice that my newfound lack of Wisdom modifier would effect that spell. Again, I just got the book today. What figures do I put into the attack and damage workspaces?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Leemo wrote: »

Whoop-de-do? There are significantly more broken combos out there.

I'm aware of that, but my metric isn't generally "Is this as broken as the most broken parts of the core ruleset?"

Dragon magazine is virtually never errata'd except in the case of egregious decimal errors, and by its nature does not do an appropriate amount of playtesting. This has been its modus operandi since, approximately, issue #1.

The fact the the dragon content 4E has been "pretty balanced", if by "pretty balanced" you mean "not as powerful as a relentless assault/divine oracle critical chain reaction" isn't really a selling point.

None of the 4E at-wills for wizard targetted Will, and psychic abilities are relatively rare.

Dragon adds a will-targetting psychic ability as an alternative at-will for wizards. This seems at least somewhat at odds with the system design intent. A single at-will ability that imposes a -4 to hit, obtained at level 11, targetting the weakest defense in the game, is actually pretty exceptionally powerful as a pocket spell.

Dragon can be fine and good for its own sake. It does not commit any crimes against humanity. The fact is that additional supplemental material is not playtested against Dragon content, meaning that something that is perky and delicious in Dragon ends up becoming broken by virtue of a synergizing ability in the PHB VII: Spinach, Tomato and Feta characters.

A lot of DMs straight up do not allow Dragon to be used at their table. To summarize, this is due to:

1) Dragon is not a component in the playtesting regimes for new source material.
    2) Keeping up with Dragon can be a pain in the ass.
    3) Dragon has a long and storied reputation for introducing absolutely ridiculous shit.

You told someone to look at Psychic Ambush or Ray of Frost. I pointed out that a lot of DMs don't allow Dragon material in their game. What I said is not untrue. It is not bad advice. I was trying to point out to the guy that he shouldn't expect to be allowed to use Dragon material, which is perfectly legitimate .

I didn't say "Dragon is teh suxx0r", so I'm not really sure why you posted your initial reply, or subsequent one.

Leemo on
This discussion has been closed.