As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hype On] OpFlash 2: Drangon Rising

AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur.Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
Oh snap! Everyone's favorite military sim is getting a sequel. Seems Codemasters is taking a shot at developing the next OpFlash game. Here is what I have gleamed so far.

-Coming out on PC, 360, PS3.
-Release is "First quarter 09".
-Game will deal with mounting Russian / Chinese tensions.
-Game takes place on an island north of Japan.
-Island is 220 square kilometers large. (That's about 136 square miles for us Yanks.)
-The buildings and world are destructible and have "multi-stage / multi-sectioned" approach to demolition.
-Apparently the AI will play a larger role.
-The game takes place in a modern day / near-future setting.
-Expect ass raping realism to weapons.
-Multiplayer can have up to 32 players, but with 100 AI combatants thrown in as well, battles will be huge.
-Online co-op huzzah!

E3 2008 Presentation!
Trailers!

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

Let us discuss OpFlash 2, the glory of OpFlash 1, and the fun that can be had in ArmA!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
Axen on

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I applied for the beta months ago. I don't think I got in. :(

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    -Will suck because 99% of Codemaster's games suck
    -Will not be realistic because Bohemia Interactive is not involved*

* The first game was ALL about realism, not graphics

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love OFP and ArmA but not everything is realistic. I'm looking in your direction vehicle physics.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Because I really liked OpFlash, I was looking forward to ArmA quite a bit.

I waited and waited for it to be patched up to work well with 64-bit Vista. And then I did and was able to get the game for $5.

It's so disappointing. They made OpFlash slightly prettier and made it modern rather than late 80's, but it still feels exceptionally antiquated and like it came out seven or eight years ago. And its story's progression is quite a bit more disjointed and uninvolving than OpFlash's. Where it's not standing still frozen in 2001, the game took steps back.

So now I'm really looking forward to seeing what can be done with OpFlash 2 with Bohemia Interactive uninvolved since apparently they're incapable of making anything but the original OpFlash.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And you think Codemasters has a better chance at making a good sequel for it? They're not exactly known for their outstanding work, are they?
    Looking at the list of games on their site... oh hey, I didn't realize they were the ones that made Dirty Dancing® - The Video Game.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ArmA disappointed me a lot, especially a lot of the mission structures. For supposedly having a lot of freedom, there seemed to be only a few real ways to complete a mission, and some of those missions just came down to luck. That sniper mission where you have to sneak up to a hotel and snipe some general irritated the shit out of me. As soon as you take him out, they know exactly where you are and helicopters and heavy machine guns rain down on you. Likewise, I'm glad to see what someone other than Bohemia can do after that abysmal experience with ArmA.

The E3 demonstration looked promising for Operation Flashpoint 2. I didn't realize it's also going to be on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, too. I'd probably get it for PC, though, considering the community has put out an incredible amount of content for the original game. If the console version comes with a map editor, too, and it's not dumbed down much in terms of graphics and gameplay, that may swing my decision.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    well um ... theres uh Micromachines

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    also I dont want to derail this thread but for those that are disapointed with ArmA. one word: zombies

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And you think Codemasters has a better chance at making a good sequel for it? They're not exactly known for their outstanding work, are they?
    Looking at the list of games on their site... oh hey, I didn't realize they were the ones that made Dirty Dancing® - The Video Game.

They have a better chance because Bohemia already produced theirs and it turned out not so great. Until OpFlash 2 is released, that will be the case.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    :o:o:o

Operation Flashpoint was one of my most favourite games ever!

I didn't know it was getting a sequel <3<3<3<3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    HarakhtiHarakhti Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have serious doubts about Codemasters being able to make a faithful sequel. Ofp is one of my all time favorites and while Armed Assault has some flaws it's still great imo.

Also, it took a long while for Ofp to become great. Between patches, addons and community support. So I imagine ArmA and its successor will take off in a similiar fashion.

... *stares at Zzulu's sig*

Harakhti on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hm, no one seems to have noticed the typo in "Dragon". I am trying to fix it, but I do not see an option to change thread titles.

Bohemia is working on ArmA 2, so it will be interesting to see how the two games compare. I liked ArmA and at the same time disliked it.

OpFlash and its expansions certainly were better at sucking you into the game. I remember the mission in OpFlash where your unit is taken out and you are all alone in the woods trying to evade Soviet soldiers and Hinds while trying to reach the extraction point. That was crazy tense.

ArmA on the other hand had no flow to it. You pretty much played a different guy in each mission. Kinda hard to care about anyone that way.

Besides, everyone knows Soviets make way better enemies than Generic-stan soldiers.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    PolishElvisPolishElvis Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm not sure which magazine it was that had a cover story on OpFlash2, but I saw some scans, and apparently the developers "understand" that they can't turn the game into an arcadey shooter.

2 reservations, however-

1. The game is coming out for consoles (As is ARMA2)
    2. In the scans ,near a paragraph where one of the developers was talking about realism in the design of the vehicles, there was a screen of a Blackhawk with "Marines" written on it. D:

PolishElvis on
  • Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll reserve my excitement until a demo is released.

I wasn't fully wowed by ArmA, but I love the original OFP like a child.

So many hours lost setting up little skirmishes.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.