Options

When you're thinking about moving house

osietraosietra __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
And you really do need the list of wants checked:
In some mountains.
Lots of sun.
Fitted solar panels on all roofs.
Fresh source of water, waterfall or spring would be acceptable.
Big caves, with a few underground lakes.
Impregnable, only accessed by helicopter.

I'm currently looking at the Las Alpujarra region of Spain. It'll be my dream home. No pics yet.

Pics of yours?

osietra on

• Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    AgiaTriadaMonastery.jpg

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    AgiaTriadaMonastery.jpg

"Honey, I'm late for work! Have you seen my rappelling gear?"

EDIT: And, this:
    2_white_house_lg.jpg

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    RecklessReckless Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DCP_0024.JPG

Garage is a hangar with access to a private strip? yes please.

Reckless on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    450px-Eureka_Sunset_from_Southbank.jpg

Eureka Tower, Melbourne: tallest residential building in the world. Floors 82-89, aka "Summit Level," have one 600 square-meter apartment per floor. Original asking price in 2007? $7 million per apartment.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't have a specific structure in mind, but it would be in Scotland. Ideally, it would be some large estate formerly owned by nobility/royalty.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've always loved the idea of living in a sick apartment.

I figure one sick apartment in a city (melbourne works), one house away from it all, and one rocking main-house that's around more people. not quite the city, not quite all by myself.

yes I think I'll have it.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I want to live in a small apartment that is part of an airship.

Couscous on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Marina City
    511643284_ffe86dd3cf.jpg
    Bertrand Goldberg's master work. Right across the river, so getting a south facing apartment would guarantee an unobstructed view while still being in the thick of things. Plus the fact that they're mid-century modern (i.e. old) makes it pretty damn affordable when you consider it's Marina City. The corncobs are an icon, and I've always wanted to live in a building that had some significance to it.

Only one negative:
    Getting a parking space is murder.

*edit*
    And Feral, move in quick, because the Chicago Spire is going to be nearly twice your tower's height when it gets completed.

moniker on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't have a specific structure in mind, but it would be in Scotland. Ideally, it would be some large estate formerly owned by nobility/royalty.

Andrew Carnegie's castle?
    070801_castle_vmed_3p.widec.jpg

Picardathon on
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Marina City
    511643284_ffe86dd3cf.jpg
    Bertrand Goldberg's master work. Right across the river, so getting a south facing apartment would guarantee an unobstructed view while still being in the thick of things. Plus the fact that they're mid-century modern (i.e. old) makes it pretty damn affordable when you consider it's Marina City. The corncobs are an icon, and I've always wanted to live in a building that had some significance to it.

Only one negative:
    Getting a parking space is murder.

*edit*
    And Feral, move in quick, because the Chicago Spire is going to be nearly twice your tower's height when it gets completed.

Aren't all of these buildings going to get owned by the Burj Dubai? To the point where the record might actually stick for a decade or more?

Picardathon on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My criteria:

*City. I'm a city boy.
    *As much assorted shrubbery as the city can cram into every nook and cranny as possible.
    *Temperate climate, but if I have to pick between hot and cold, I'll take hot.
    *Green up the house as much as possible. Solar panels, rainwater storage, I've read about strategically placing plants around the house to minimize the reliance on outside energy, go nuts.
    *If it's an apartment, just barely high enough to clearly see past the row of buildings across the street. Fairly low to the ground, but not exactly street-level.
    *I'd like it at least a LITTLE hilly. You don't need to stick Denali in my backyard, but flat horizons drive even a local nuts after a while. (Technically, Watertown has these things called 'drumlins', but that's code for 'dinky hills that create the false impression that you don't live on an organic pancake'.)
    *There's some social life that doesn't revolve around dive bars and church.
    *Locals that aren't every joke Jeff Foxworthy ever made.
    *One of the longest-selling books in town should not be Kevin Trudeau's Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About.

Got anything for me?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Come live in Portland.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    After living in London for six years, I am moving to New Zealand. Quality of life for the motherfucking win. I consider myself a 'City' person as I love all the stuff that comes with it - but fuck apartment living, screw terraced housing - I want a back and front yard, I want a beach nearby AND I want to be able to rock into the city at the drop of a hat.

I am SO longing for this and just treading water for the next few months.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Hava look at Slater Hogg and Howison's website, that's the kind of thing they deal in. For Example:

ayr08071101fb3.th.jpg

"Slater Hogg & Howison are favoured with the sale of "Edendarroch", a most impressive B- listed Victorian villa designed by the renowned architect Hippolyte Blanc in 1882 for Mr Cowan, a well known banker in Ayr whose family owned the property until circa 1949."

A snip at offers over $1.2M US.

japan on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    japan wrote: »

Hava look at Slater Hogg and Howison's website, that's the kind of thing they deal in. For Example:

ayr08071101fb3.th.jpg

"Slater Hogg & Howison are favoured with the sale of "Edendarroch", a most impressive B- listed Victorian villa designed by the renowned architect Hippolyte Blanc in 1882 for Mr Cowan, a well known banker in Ayr whose family owned the property until circa 1949."

That's pretty cheap for a nine bedroom in Scotland. If it was actually somewhere people would want to live (ie, not Ayr, oh God no not Ayr) then it'd probably be two or three times that price.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

ayr08071101fb3.th.jpg

That's pretty cheap for a nine bedroom in Scotland. If it was actually somewhere people would want to live (ie, not Ayr, oh God no not Ayr) then it'd probably be two or three times that price.

I should probably have mentioned that it's listed as "In need of some restoration".

japan on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

ayr08071101fb3.th.jpg

I should probably have mentioned that it's listed as "In need of some relocation".

moer like

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I want something like the Neuschwanstein Castle except I wouldn't want it to be in Germany. Cause Germany sucks you know. Spain or Portugal would be better.
    germany--neuschwanstein.jpg
    LiveImages%5CFoto%20Haber%5CBulutlar%FDn%20%FCzerindeki%20g%F6kdelenler%5Cneuschwanstein.jpg

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd want a big marble and stone manor high in the Himalayas, with an underground lab.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    What's wrong with Germany? Seems nice enough. Clean, efficient, close to Holland.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What's wrong with Germany? Seems nice enough. Clean, efficient, close to Holland.

Naaah, Germany isn't particularly efficient.

Trains are usually very late, no co-ordination between city ordinances (eg. one week a section of road will be dug up for resurfacing, then 2 weeks after they finished the road is dug up again to lay new cabling/pipes etc etc). The previous generations are a bunch of curtain twitchers who love nothing so much as catching someone breaking some incredibly minor and esoteric rule so they can report you to the police.

Having said that, it is clean, the beer is cheap, the younger generation actually seem to have developed a sense of humour, and the general transport infrastructure is pretty good.

Plus, you know, FKK

:winky:

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So basically it's like England but cleaner and with more filth.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So basically it's like England but cleaner and with more filth.

That would be about the size of it, yes.

:P

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I was quite taken with parts of Germany - beautiful country.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Actually it's not so much that I love that particular building. It's that my "dream home" would be a skyrise apartment in the center of a big city.

Fuck this semi-rural mansion bullshit. Put me right in the center of the action.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    *edit*

Aren't all of these buildings going to get owned by the Burj Dubai? To the point where the record might actually stick for a decade or more?

The Burj is not strictly residential like Feral's tower and the Spire. Plus there's a new proposal somewhere in the pipe that will theoretically reach the mile marker. The Burj is going to hold the record for a good while though, if only because of how long it takes to build shit that fucking tall.

Plus the record lasted a good 3 decades between Sears and Taipei 101.

moniker on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My fantasy is something like the following: find a rock cliff by a nice beach. A house sits near the edge, one story high. Carved beneath into the rock is a second story, with one wall opening out the side of the cliff. A spiral staircase inside the rock cuts downward to the beach. The property is bordered on one side by a forest; the rest of the land is a field with a dirt path.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Then in 20 years your foundation erodes out from under you.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Then in 20 years your foundation erodes out from under you.
    What is this, England?

stilist on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Since titmouse took my airship, I'm going to go straight for the nuclear-powered Mars colony. Probably something near a pole, with some nice automated factories, well-managed hydroponic setup, maybe a few kilometers-deep holes in the ground.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hmmmm...I'm surprised no-one has gone for the lair in the extinct volcano on a remote island yet.

So I'll take that.

:D

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    See, I don't want more than I could plausibly live in. If I can't find a use for the room, and actually get around to using it every so often, no sense having it.

I COULD pick a castle or something, but really, if I'm only going to use half the rooms because the others don't serve any useful purpose, fuck the castle. Just give me the half of the rooms I WILL be using and use the leftover space for backyard or other buildings or something.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    <snip>

Eureka Tower, Melbourne: tallest residential building in the world. Floors 82-89, aka "Summit Level," have one 600 square-meter apartment per floor. Original asking price in 2007? $7 million per apartment.

So, uh... Who wants to spot me ~10mill?

noobert on
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    *edit*

The Burj is not strictly residential like Feral's tower and the Spire. Plus there's a new proposal somewhere in the pipe that will theoretically reach the mile marker. The Burj is going to hold the record for a good while though, if only because of how long it takes to build shit that fucking tall.

Plus the record lasted a good 3 decades between Sears and Taipei 101.

Burj Dubai is insane.
    burj_dubai_1009.jpg

Basar on
    i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I think if you lay that flat, it'd reach from one side of Edinburgh to the other. How long would it take to get to the top by elevator? No one knows, the last person to try never returned. Once completed, they plan on building another one on the moon and connecting them together, thus leaping ahead in the space race.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I don't really understand the Dubai super buildings. When the oil money dries up - and it must even if we continued being idiots about it in the next few (five max) decades - why would anyone go to Dubai? The region is unstable, there are no natural resources, the population doesn't have a strong educational or even linguistically valuable base (like India for instance), and the climate is unpleasantly hot.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Have to have places for all your construction magnates to live and continue constructing.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    I don't really understand the Dubai super buildings. When the oil money dries up - and it must even if we continued being idiots about it in the next few (five max) decades - why would anyone go to Dubai? The region is unstable, there are no natural resources, the population doesn't have a strong educational or even linguistically valuable base (like India for instance), and the climate is unpleasantly hot.
    Because they’re incredibly rich and want to show off.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Have to have places for all your construction magnates to live and continue constructing.

Yeah, some friends of ours are surveyors and they've just landed jobs in Dubai. Basically they're going to work there for two or three years and then will have enough money to pretty much buy a house outright when they return to Scotland. I think essentially, Westerners are milking Dubai for all it's worth while the worth is still there. I'm not sure anybody but the locals have any intention of staying there for the long term, but while they are there they intend to live in excruciating luxury.

Excruciating for those of us not taking advantage of it, that is.

Maybe Dubai will have sufficient infrastructure by the time the oil runs out that they can convert into a hi-tech industry hub or something. Silicon Valley 2: Silicon Boogaloo.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I kind of hope their economy does grind to a halt before I die, so that the last, tallest building can be 100 stories marked "I AM OZYMANDIAS, KING OF KINGS" and, below that, 100 stories of erect penis graffiti. Then we can look and despair.

ProPatriaMori on