As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cryostasis

UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
http://wrapper.ign.com/s?from=http%3A%2F%2Fve3d.ign.com%2Fvideos%2F34580%2FPC%2FCryostasis-Sleep-of-Reason&siteId=62&size=entryinterstitial&cKey=1797061403-11910198051219266900231&docTitle=VE3D%20Video%20for%20Cryostasis%3A%20Sleep%20of%20Reason%20(PC)%20-%20Voodoo%20Extreme

Holy god this game looks awesome. A mix of Bioshock, Condemned, and the same creepy feel as SS2 if this footage is any indication. Comes out in December for PC.

This and Dead Space look to be some great horror games, both coming out pretty damn soon. Discuss what you think of the video here.

Urian on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I've been interested in this since I read about it over at RPS. They've got a short preview outlining the basics of the game here.

I really like the concept of the cold being your main enemy. That and the whole Mental Echo thing.

I'm not sure I'd necessarily compare it to System Shock, although it may come close to it in some of its style. Quick warning though, saying this game is "the Real System Shock 3 might get a load of disappointed people in here looking for a cyberpunk RPG fix.

subedii on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A little off topic but EA's threat to make a System Shock 3 never came to anything, did it?

Then again that threat was made before the company became less evil.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Changed the title, cause yeah you're right the setting is completely different.

Here's a gameplay video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWQnuHPQt8k

And yeah the cold being your main enemy is so awesome. Makes me think about a first person game based on The Thing and how great that would be (yeah I played the third person action game, and it was good but left MUCH to be desired.).

Urian on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, I've been interested in this game for a while. It looks awesome, and the whole clairvoyancy aspect is very cool.

Though it seems like one of those games that'll be in development hell for the next 2 years.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oh gawd,

Cow Vision D:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been interested in this game for a while. It looks awesome, and the whole clairvoyancy aspect is very cool.

Though it seems like one of those games that'll be in development hell for the next 2 years.

It's due for release this October.

subedii on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well add another game I need to buy. This and Clear Sky will sate my Eastern European gaming.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Well add another game I need to buy. This and Clear Sky will sate my Eastern European gaming.

Seriously, Eastern Europe and Russia seem to be coming out with a lot of really cool stuff these days.

subedii on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hopefully it'll be more survival horror and less action than Bioshock or SS2.

Why can't games make cooler looking punching animations?

tofu on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Wow that sounds pretty damn cool. First I've heard of it.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    Oh gawd,

Cow Vision D:
    :D

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked S.T.A.L.K.E.R., and I'm getting a similar vibe; an fps about atmosphere, tension, and setting. Not all about "shoot absolutely everything, all the time". I'll keep an eye peeled.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This game looked awesome until the combat happened. I got very excited thinking this was going to be a survival/horrish game where the only enemy in the whole game was the cold.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cryoshockdemned

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cryoshockdemned

Shut up Ryan.
    Don't drug me please

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Cryoshockdemned

Shut up Ryan.
    Don't drug me please

Its ok I won't drug you

[tiny]I'll blind you though[/tiny]

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The combat does look a bit dodgy. Melee in first-person games always looks that way to me, though. It always looks like they're not really hitting each other. He also moves like a Big Daddy, which almost makes sense given the suit he must be wearing and the cold but... might not make for exciting gameplay. I'm not sure. It certainly has some very cool aspects.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ooh mysteries to be solved by the dead

secretssss

Nuzak on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Got a Penumbra vibe from the vid, with nextgen graphics, but I can never bear myself to look at horror games for more than 5 secs before I play them.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The atmosphere and the enemies are looking ace.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think the enemies look really retarded and not scary and lack some great sound effects.

They also use guns. GUNS. Enemies with guns are NEVER frightening. (and no big daddies were also not frightening stop posting a picture :P )

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Why is he punching a dude holding a machine gun.

And winning.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Looks like a great idea, but from the videos the execution seems to need plenty of work. But it's still in production so I'm holding out hope that they can iron out the gameplay.

P.S. somebody really looking forward to this game should say, "All of my dicks.. are frozen..." :lol:

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How come I haven't heard of this?

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Looks neat but the combat looks shoddy

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    john fechonjohn fechon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    * The game develops with the unique "Mental Echo" ability - penetrate another character's memory and change the actions taken by the character in the past to affect the present
    * Highly detailed levels based on a real Russian ice-breaker
    * More than 15 powerful enemies with unique capabilities
    * 7 NPC's which will help to reveal the true story
    * 8 historically-authentic types of weapons
    * A physics and weather system with realistic ice, frost and snow

The mental echo ability, while cool, raises a bunch of questions. Story-wise, what the hell is a meteorologist doing with that ability? Television has taught me you must become a detective and solve crimes.
    If you can change the character's past actions, couldn't you choose not to die? They might fix it by not letting you come back to the present until you die.

Could you use it on enemies, and 'before' you killed them in the present, run around killing their allies in the past?

But this stuff would always bring up a paradox, if you mind echo them in the front lobby, but you lead them to die in the past in the furnace, then how did the body get to the lobby?

Might be coming out this year (winter perhaps?) so we'll see.

john fechon on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    just played Penumbra for the fist time

Demo ending is lame also it'd be perfect on the Wii

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    * The game develops with the unique "Mental Echo" ability - penetrate another character's memory and change the actions taken by the character in the past to affect the present

The mental echo ability, while cool, raises a bunch of questions. Story-wise, what the hell is a meteorologist doing with that ability? Television has taught me you must become a detective and solve crimes.
    If you can change the character's past actions, couldn't you choose not to die? They might fix it by not letting you come back to the present until you die.

Actually, part of the gameplay is saving these crew members by altering their past (or the past of those around them, as is the case with the err, cow).

I can't remember for certain but I think the ending may be different depending on how many people you manage to save.

subedii on
  • Options
    john fechonjohn fechon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »

Actually, part of the gameplay is saving these crew members by altering their past (or the past of those around them, as is the case with the err, cow).

I can't remember for certain but I think the ending may be different depending on how many people you manage to save.

Ok, that's good way to handle that. Still doesn't answer the meteorologist question.

john fechon on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    I seriously had a dream about this game.
    I have to ask: does this game have a gun that shoots giant rocks?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38874.html

Alright, not exactly shooting giant rocks, but the closest I can think of.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    haha the cow thing reminded me of geist

in that you could possess basically everything

Nuzak on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    First thing I thought was
    Wow, is Cryotek really making another game called *Cry*?

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »

It would be extraordinarily cool if you actually ended up making the ship never get into the mess it was in in the first place (ie stuck in the cold etc) as a game ending. I would just find that totally awesome in every way possible.

Daxon on
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Why is he punching a dude holding a machine gun.

And winning.

That machine gone is quite literally a pea shooter.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So, this game has been released in NA yesterday, I think. Anyone have it, and mind giving some first impressions?

Zandracon on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Woah wait. Seriously? Why haven't I heard of this game??

urahonky on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Woah wait. Seriously? Why haven't I heard of this game??
    Yeah, it was released yesterday in North America, according to wiki.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought I read a review of this that said it sucked pretty hard

But I could be thinking of another game

It had a similarly nonsensical title, though

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Whhaaaa

This game looks freaking amazing.
    I want to read reviews / hear impressions.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Reviews please.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/