As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Ouija: Halley's Comet

babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Social Entropy++
I'm here today to campaign for an old favorite of mine that recently shot to the front of my memory.
Ladies and gentlemen, I bring you:
Halley's Comet
1181242121335.jpg
as you can see, it was released by Taito in 1985. A top-down shooter with an Ikaruga-style vertical screen, the premise is that you are in charge of saving Earth from a rainstorm of enemy fire and kamikaze ships.
Also it is to you to
1181242121336.jpg
RESCUE THE EARTH FROM COMETS !
Now, like any shooter you basically are looking to not die and to gain power-ups in the form of bigger guns and smaller pod ships that flank you and fire with you, but the difference is, with every ship you fail to shoot down or bullet you allow to pass you by, the Earth behind you takes a tiny bit of damage, and if you allow Earth to be destroyed, well you can imagine the consequence of that (you lose)
1053348943.jpg
The side bar you see in the above picture on the right shows your progress from earth, the health of the planet, and the titular heavenly body rushing towards it.a You take out everything you can, make it to the comet, and blow it to pieces to save Earth.
There are 9 levels, one for each planet of our solar system, and that damn Halley is trying to take out them all.
This classic just jumped into my head the other day and I had to share it with you in the hopes that some group of people out there remember it well enough to keep it from fading away in the arcade graveyard. There was a tablescreen version of it at Sally's Arcade and Ice Cream Parlour a few clicks from my cabin, and Halley's Comet took so many of my allowances over so many summers and I'd pay them all again to see this game come back in the form of an xbox live arcade remake or a port.
I can almost see "Insert Coin" burned into the screen in those images posted above.
Hear me Taito!!

hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
babyeatingjesus on

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Peas wrote: »
    Taito! I love bubble bobble

BubbleBobbleLoveAni.gif

My girlfriend just saw Bubble Bobble for the first time the other day.

She described it as "Adorable"

I believe that is correct.

Etch on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wait what forums am I in again

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think I remember playing this game ages and ages ago in an actual, physical, video arcade.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ZeroFill wrote: »

Games & Technology Jr

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    but i approve of anything BLOODLUST does, so

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fallout wrote: »
    ZeroFill wrote: »

Games & Technology Jr

Man, you can't expect people to go to G&T every time they want to talk about videogames. There are too many dicks posting over there, and not enough posting about dicks.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Etch I love your sig

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |