Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

So tomorrow I'm going book shopping

1234568

Posts

  • QuadropheniaQuadrophenia Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Lovecraft, dudes. Lovecraft.

    Quadrophenia on
    I'm so tired of partying.
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    redhead wrote:
    I couldn't make it 20 pages through The Grapes of Wrath the first time I picked it up, but when I came back to it a year later I really enjoyed it. But I can see why people would take issue with, say, the chapter devoted to a turtle crossing the road. That leaves itself pretty wide open to ridicule.
    Hey, Dickens essentially devoted a chapter to describing some mud once. Hugo did one better and devoted an entire chapter to describing an oak door.

    naporeon on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lovecraft, dudes. Lovecraft.
    Truth.

    I just read Call of Cthulu today.

    Fucking chilling, it is.

    Sars_Boy on
  • superslothsupersloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I ended up going to Borders and picking up House of Leaves (because most of you speak highly of it and for most things haven't steered me wrong.), A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, and Neuromancer.

    Neat.

    supersloth on
    elsupersloth.jpg
    muh.
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Did somebody nominate Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

    because I will

    QuestionMarkMan on
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Did somebody nominate Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay

    because I will
    This book was fucking outstanding. I could read it every month and never get tired of it.

    naporeon on
  • redheadredhead Registered User
    edited January 2007
    I've never met anyone who didn't at least like The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. It's really great.

    And as for A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, I picked it up for the title and ended up liking it, though it's not perfect. It drags in places and the interest of the author's quirky style wears off rather quickly, but overall I'd say it's worth a look.

    redhead on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    EDIT: Without looking for any more specific quotations, the general idea that the "science" answer to the mysteries of the universe is the obviously correct one despite that we only have circumstantial evidence is absurd; he criticizes creationists for believing things without proof, but his own beliefs cannot be proven.

    From what I've read, it's not that he's saying that it's the "obviously correct one", but that it's much more feasible and likely given what we do know about the universe. If nothing else, that science is a much more rational and reasonable answer than just throwing your hands up in the air and going "god did it!"

    I'm curious that why it is that when Dawkins is solid in his side of the issue, it's means he's a condecending prick, but the other side is allowed to be the same way and it's just excused off to "well, freedom of religion, durr hurr hurr."

    The Geek on
    zappsigsm.jpg
    Amazon wish list | Please check out my wife's blog and jewelry store.
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    durr hurr hurr god of the gaps durr hurr hurr ad ignorantiam

    naporeon on
  • ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    Lovecraft, dudes. Lovecraft.
    Truth.

    I just read Call of Cthulu today.

    Fucking chilling, it is.

    Seriously?

    Does the Carebears scare you too?

    Found Call of Cthulu to be kinda boring.

    Comahawk on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cerpin TaxtCerpin Taxt Registered User
    edited January 2007
    How is it possible that people are still talking about books in this thread?

    Cerpin Taxt on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know. Whatever happened last night may have been a strange lapse in space-time, and things seem to have smoothed over as if it never happened. The universe has a way!

    bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • bentbent Registered User
    edited January 2007
    I bought 'Only Revolutions' by the house of leaves guy. Fuck that guy. If he wants to tell two stories he can do it simultaneously, not put it in the other side of the book upside down with the letter o in orange and a bunch of meaningless shit all over the page. I'm still trying to give it a chance, but chances are I'm going to pawn it off to someone else.

    bent on
    sig1.png
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I just bought Love is a Mix Tap: Life and Loss, One Song at a Time and its pretty good so far. I love those books that have song listings and personal explanations, like Songbook by Nick Hornby. Its a gold mine for my own mix taping needs.

    lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Wins for House of Leaves

    loses so HARD for Atlus Shrugged

    ayn rand is a fucking hack

    Does "hack" mean "a good writer"? If so, you're right.

    You used to be cool, Drez.

    Not anymore.

    DarkPrimus on
    dt3GeqU.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • MarcusMarcus Registered User
    edited January 2007
    Stranger in a Strange Land and Catch 22.
    The only two books I had to put down part way through and think about for a couple hours.
    I read a lot of books.

    Marcus on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Wins for House of Leaves

    loses so HARD for Atlus Shrugged

    ayn rand is a fucking hack

    Does "hack" mean "a good writer"? If so, you're right.

    You used to be cool, Drez.

    Not anymore.

    I don't know how good a writer she is

    But she's a stupid, selfish bitch

    And every single individual person I've ever known who has spoken well of her has been a total self-centered cockbag in basically every facet of life

    Defender on
    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I vote Libertarian and still think she's a terrible writer and a shitty person.

    PiptheFair on
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Wins for House of Leaves

    loses so HARD for Atlus Shrugged

    ayn rand is a fucking hack

    Does "hack" mean "a good writer"? If so, you're right.

    You used to be cool, Drez.

    Not anymore.

    I don't know how good a writer she is

    But she's a stupid, selfish bitch

    And every single individual person I've ever known who has spoken well of her has been a total self-centered cockbag in basically every facet of life
    Rare is the day when I agree with 100% of a Defender post longer than, say, four words.

    This is one of those days.

    naporeon on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I heard a great joke the other day.

    What does reading Ayn Rand and shooting up heroin have in common?

    They both make you an asshole for at least two years.

    Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Callius wrote:
    I heard a great joke the other day.

    What does reading Ayn Rand and shooting up heroin have in common?

    They both make you an asshole for at least two years.
    not bad

    PiptheFair on
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Callius wrote:
    I heard a great joke the other day.

    What does reading Ayn Rand and shooting up heroin have in common?

    They both make you an asshole for at least two years.

    I wouldn't cross the street to piss on Ayn Rand if she was on fire.

    Hunter on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hunter wrote:
    Callius wrote:
    I heard a great joke the other day.

    What does reading Ayn Rand and shooting up heroin have in common?

    They both make you an asshole for at least two years.

    I wouldn't cross the street to piss on Ayn Rand if she was on fire.
    i doubt she'd care now

    PiptheFair on
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PiptheFair wrote:
    Callius wrote:
    I heard a great joke the other day.

    What does reading Ayn Rand and shooting up heroin have in common?

    They both make you an asshole for at least two years.
    not bad

    I was just sort of expecting disagreement with my perspective since the post was clearly marked "Callius" but I guess there was a mistake at the factory.

    Man, it's like everyone can actually agree on something.

    Defender on
    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote:
    Callius wrote:
    I heard a great joke the other day.

    What does reading Ayn Rand and shooting up heroin have in common?

    They both make you an asshole for at least two years.
    not bad

    I was just sort of expecting disagreement with my perspective since the post was clearly marked "Callius" but I guess there was a mistake at the factory.

    Man, it's like everyone can actually agree on something.
    "Ayn Rand: The selfish bitch everyone at work can agree on."

    naporeon on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    Defender wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote:
    Callius wrote:
    I heard a great joke the other day.

    What does reading Ayn Rand and shooting up heroin have in common?

    They both make you an asshole for at least two years.
    not bad

    I was just sort of expecting disagreement with my perspective since the post was clearly marked "Callius" but I guess there was a mistake at the factory.

    Man, it's like everyone can actually agree on something.
    "Ayn Rand: The selfish bitch everyone at work can agree on."

    I want to disagree out of principle, but I can't lie about something like this: Ayn Rand sucks ass and turns friends into assholes.

    Darth Waiter on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote:
    Callius wrote:
    I heard a great joke the other day.

    What does reading Ayn Rand and shooting up heroin have in common?

    They both make you an asshole for at least two years.
    not bad

    I was just sort of expecting disagreement with my perspective since the post was clearly marked "Callius" but I guess there was a mistake at the factory.

    Man, it's like everyone can actually agree on something.

    You know I hate Ayn Rand.

    Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This has to be the first time that I've agreed with BOTH Cal and Defender on anything.

    Now all we need is for Butters to chime in to agree, and the Square of Mystery will be complete, and the Dark One will be released from his eternal prison.

    naporeon on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Defender wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Wins for House of Leaves

    loses so HARD for Atlus Shrugged

    ayn rand is a fucking hack

    Does "hack" mean "a good writer"? If so, you're right.

    You used to be cool, Drez.

    Not anymore.

    I don't know how good a writer she is

    But she's a stupid, selfish bitch

    And every single individual person I've ever known who has spoken well of her has been a total self-centered cockbag in basically every facet of life

    So, how is it that you don't like her, Defender?

    Drez on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm pretty sure that being a smug self-centered cunt whose entire advice is "only look out for number 1 and fuck the rest... oh yeah, cigarettes rock" is pretty much a surefire way to be branded as a smug self-centered cunt.

    Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm not saying I like Ayn Rand or her egotistical philosophies. However, I can put that aside, and enjoy a novel for what it is. I don't have to agree with the philosophies presented to enjoy The Fountainhead. I found it to be a compelling, page-turning novel, with some interesting characters.

    I haven't really seen anything here that expresses a valid opinion of her writing. All I see is "I hate her" and "her philosophies are retarded." Yeah, okay, but that has very little to do with the book itself, as you read it. Sure, her personality went into it, but you can sever that and take the book at face value.

    I mean, people hate Orson Scott Card for being a fag-hating Mormon. I think Mormons are pretty god-damn stupid, personally, and I hate predjudiced mor(m)ons, but I'm not going to sit here and say that Ender's Game is a bad book because of it.

    Anyway, I've never read Atlus Shrugged, so maybe that book sucks. I really enjoyed The Fountainhead as a novel.

    Drez on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Callius wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that being a smug self-centered cunt whose entire advice is "only look out for number 1 and fuck the rest... oh yeah, cigarettes rock" is pretty much a surefire way to be branded as a smug self-centered cunt.

    Again, this has nothing to do with her abilities as a writer. "Poisoning the well" is a very popular logical fallacy. If you don't like her as a writer or her writings, that's fine, different tastes and all that, but you can't say "she's a bad writer because she's a pretentious douchebag," because it doesn't necessarily follow.

    Hell, George Bernard Shaw, I believe, is the one that coined "those who can...do, those who can't...teach" or at least he said something similar. English teachers hate that, but they still teach Pygmalion and some of his other works. He may have been a pretentious asshole, but his works are good for what they are. Hell, Pygmalion is another great play that I entirely disagree with philosophically, but still enjoyed.

    Drez on
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Callius wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that being a smug self-centered cunt whose entire advice is "only look out for number 1 and fuck the rest... oh yeah, cigarettes rock" is pretty much a surefire way to be branded as a smug self-centered cunt.

    Again, this has nothing to do with her abilities as a writer. "Poisoning the well" is a very popular logical fallacy. If you don't like her as a writer or her writings, that's fine, different tastes and all that, but you can't say "she's a bad writer because she's a pretentious douchebag," because it doesn't necessarily follow.

    I didn't say she was a bad writer.

    I just said that she's a retard who attempts to rationalize being an asshole.

    Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PS: I've not met a teacher that dislikes that saying. They usually take it in stride and laugh at it.

    Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    no, her writing is pretty terrible too

    PiptheFair on
  • naporeonnaporeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Callius wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that being a smug self-centered cunt whose entire advice is "only look out for number 1 and fuck the rest... oh yeah, cigarettes rock" is pretty much a surefire way to be branded as a smug self-centered cunt.

    Again, this has nothing to do with her abilities as a writer. "Poisoning the well" is a very popular logical fallacy. If you don't like her as a writer or her writings, that's fine, different tastes and all that, but you can't say "she's a bad writer because she's a pretentious douchebag," because it doesn't necessarily follow.
    Incorrect.

    Rand, as both a novelist and self-styled "philosopher," couched her personal code of "rational egoism" in most of her works, essentially turning them into Objectivist parables at best, and manifestos at worst. Her bankrupt philosophy forms the bedrock upon which all of her writing--even her fiction--lies. Therefore it is perfectly rational to dislike her writing because one disagrees with her philosophy, as the two are inseparable.

    naporeon on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Callius wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Callius wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that being a smug self-centered cunt whose entire advice is "only look out for number 1 and fuck the rest... oh yeah, cigarettes rock" is pretty much a surefire way to be branded as a smug self-centered cunt.

    Again, this has nothing to do with her abilities as a writer. "Poisoning the well" is a very popular logical fallacy. If you don't like her as a writer or her writings, that's fine, different tastes and all that, but you can't say "she's a bad writer because she's a pretentious douchebag," because it doesn't necessarily follow.

    I didn't say she was a bad writer.

    I just said that she's a retard who attempts to rationalize being an asshole.

    Okay, then my points aren't for you, but Defender is saying that anyone that "speaks well of" Ayn Rand is a self-centered individual, and I assume he's including someone like me, that says she's a good writer, because that's technically "speaking well of" her. Just because I think she can throw words together on a page well doesn't mean I appreciate her Objectivism or that I subscribe to it, or that I'm a self-centered individual in every facet of my life. It just means I like her writing ability, and enjoyed The Fountainhead.

    I'm only a self-centered douche in half the facets of my life.

    Drez on
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Hell, George Bernard Shaw, I believe, is the one that coined "those who can...do, those who can't...teach" or at least he said something similar.

    When I was first out of the military, I met a real pretentious ass of a literature professor while I was out drinking with some friends who were welcoming me home. Conversation with this individual was not pleasant. He actually sneered at me when he said, "Those who can't think, fight."

    To which I responded, "Those who can't do, teach. And apparently, they can only afford shitty well-level vodka for their martinis." And then I gulped down my 25-year-old scotch and ordered another.

    Darth Waiter on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    naporeon wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Callius wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that being a smug self-centered cunt whose entire advice is "only look out for number 1 and fuck the rest... oh yeah, cigarettes rock" is pretty much a surefire way to be branded as a smug self-centered cunt.

    Again, this has nothing to do with her abilities as a writer. "Poisoning the well" is a very popular logical fallacy. If you don't like her as a writer or her writings, that's fine, different tastes and all that, but you can't say "she's a bad writer because she's a pretentious douchebag," because it doesn't necessarily follow.
    Incorrect.

    Rand, as both a novelist and self-styled "philosopher," couched her personal code of "rational egoism" in most of her works, essentially turning them into Objectivist parables at best, and manifestos at worst. Her bankrupt philosophy forms the bedrock upon which all of her writing--even her fiction--lies. Therefore it is perfectly rational to dislike her writing because one disagrees with her philosophy, as the two are inseparable.

    No, no, it's entirely correct, sorry. Saying "incorrect" doesn't make your claim any more logical or less of a fallacy, which is precisely what "poisoning the well" is, regardless of how you may rationalize it. Yes, one's philosophies certainly can and usually do factor into a work. But your talk of manifestos, parables, etc. just proves that you are doing nothing more than coloring your opinion of her writing based on her principles (or lack of principles, depending on your perspective).

    You can say you don't like Ayn Rand as a person. You can say you don't like The Fountainhead or what have you because it has content you don't enjoy reading about. But you cannot say someone is a bad writer solely because of her philosophies and that they spill into her books as content. Being a "good writer" or "bad writer" really has very little to do with the content they choose to use.

    That is my only point. You can dislike Ayn Rand, her books, and her writing in general if you like, but do so for the right reasons. I don't really have any personal opinion of her. I think she touches on some interesting points, but I disagree with Objectivism in it's entirety. And yet, I don't think she is a bad writer. I think The Fountainhead is a well-constructed novel regardless of the philosophical content presented. When I say "good writer" I speak of building tension, fleshing out characters, and so forth. I think she did a good job of writing an interesting book, even if Howard Roark and the lot of them could die in a fire and I wouldn't give two shits.

    edit: I understand your point, naporean, and I forgive it because I do it too in many circumstances. If you and I got into a fist fight, I most likely will not enjoy your taunting haiku as you chant it at me because, at the time, I hate your guts and want to pound your face in. People do that all the time. But it's still logically false to do so.

    Drez on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drez wrote:
    Hell, George Bernard Shaw, I believe, is the one that coined "those who can...do, those who can't...teach" or at least he said something similar.

    When I was first out of the military, I met a real pretentious ass of a literature professor while I was out drinking with some friends who were welcoming me home. Conversation with this individual was not pleasant. He actually sneered at me when he said, "Those who can't think, fight."

    To which I responded, "Those who can't do, teach. And apparently, they can only afford shitty well-level vodka for their martinis." And then I gulped down my 25-year-old scotch and ordered another.

    Ahhhahahahhaha. Good show. Fucking pretentious fucks.

    t Callius - my junior year (High School) English teacher claimed to hate him for it, but I think the anger was for show. She was awesome, though. My favorite teacher ever.

    Drez on
Sign In or Register to comment.