As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Baldur's Gate

El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
I just recently dusted off my copy of Baldur's Gate, and decided I would give it another shot (I have never actually played the game past Friendly Arm's Inn). Anyway, I rolled up a mage and just wondering if anyone had any tips for someone who is completely unfamiliar with AD & D.

Also how come some of the classes are unplayable when I am making a character? I initially wanted to play as a druid but it was unavailable. Are certain classes only availabe to certain races?

Anyways thanks for any information.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
Origin: theRealElMucho
El Mucho on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Get yourself a missile weapon and kill that mage dude in the Inn in Candlekeep - his name's Something Firesomething. It's easy - hit him with a magic missile or something to kick off, then run up the stairs when he starts a spell animation. Go back down and plink him with your sling (running upstairs if he starts casting again) until he runs out of spells. Then he'll try to knife you - just kite him around and around his coffee table until he goes down. Might take you a little while, but IIRC you only lose one reputation point, no one in the keep gets mad, and you gain a whole level. Makes not getting raped for the first couple of missions a bit easier, especially for a mage w/ 4 hp at level 1.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I initially wanted to play as a druid but it was unavailable. Are certain classes only availabe to certain races?
    Correct.

Also, if you have not played BG2 at this point, I implore you my good sir, pick up a copy at once.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Also how come some of the classes are unplayable when I am making a character? I initially wanted to play as a druid but it was unavailable. Are certain classes only availabe to certain races?

Some classes are restricted by race and alignment. To be a druid (i think; it's been a long time) you have to be of neutral alignment and be either human, elf or half-elf.

Also, if you have BG2 do yourself a favor and download this. It's BG in the BG2 engine, so you can do stuff like change resolution and press a key to highlight items on the ground, and in general not go blind.

Typhoid Manny on
    from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok so the character that I made was a neutral evil elf but druid was unavailable. Havent played BG 2 but I am definatley on the look out for it. For that BG 2 mod, are saved games transferable from BG?

When do mages start getting good? Because as of right now my battles consist of running my character to safety while the fighter, thief and ranger deal with the enemies.

Also will it be a while before I am able to cast more than a single spell?

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    2nd Edition D&D epitomizes the "Wizards suck at low levels" philosophy of older RPGS. You won't be carrying your own weight until well into the game. Give him some darts or a sling and just plink away from the back lines. Ranged weapons are godly in BG1.

Keep an eye out for scrolls, especially the almighty Fireball. Once you can cast that, which is level 6 or so, you will be living it up.

captaink on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BG2 is the best game ever made.

This is a fact.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    BG2 is the best game ever made.

This is a fact.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Here is the key fact you should remember. Low level wizards are not damage dealers. Stock up on stuff like hold person. Use your ranged slings or darts to attack and save your spells for instant KO stuff like Hold.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If I've played both versions of the PS2 Baldur's Gate games, have I pretty much experienced what the PC versions are like?

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Explore everywhere once you get all your party members, there's random magical items everywhere. They're usually attached to people who will instantly kill you the moment they see you, but that's all part of the fun.

Zell on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    If I've played both versions of the PS2 Baldur's Gate games, have I pretty much experienced what the PC versions are like?

No, no, no, no, no.

No.

They're completely different games

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

No, you've played a shittier version of Gauntlet.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

No.

What is wrong with you.

Get the real Baldur's Gate games.

Right now.

Now play them.

Khavall on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    :(

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Joke?
    JOKE!? :x

Couscous on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

D:D:D:

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    At any rate, I loved BG, but after playing so much BG2 I just can't finish it again. I think I've gotten like halfway through a few times then quit.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    At any rate, I loved BG, but after playing so much BG2 I just can't finish it again. I think I've gotten like halfway through a few times then quit.

EasyTutu is your friend. It converts BG into BG2's improved engine. Having played BG2 before I played the first, this is the only way I could stand to finish the first game.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    El Mucho wrote: »
    When do mages start getting good? Because as of right now my battles consist of running my character to safety while the fighter, thief and ranger deal with the enemies.

Also will it be a while before I am able to cast more than a single spell?

The thing about BG is that by the end of the game you aren't even really that high of a level.

Baldurs gate 2 mages become powerhouses by the end of the game, what with the time stop and death spells.

Burgu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Malkor wrote: »

EasyTutu is your friend. It converts BG into BG2's improved engine. Having played BG2 before I played the first, this is the only way I could stand to finish the first game.

If you do that, be sure to run the best BG 2 mod ever.

link

Converts the hideous BG 2 paper dolls into BG 1 paper dolls.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

No, you've played a shittier version of Gauntlet.

I actually liked both of the PS2 Baldur's Gate games. They're just not anything at all similar to the PC versions whatsoever.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AggrilAggril Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd say the non-computer Baldur's Gate games weren't bad. They were pretty decent hack and slash titles. But yeah, they're not in the same league as the computer Baldur's Gate series. I'd recommend the computer titles over the PS2 versions any time. There's just so much more THERE (and even if you do somehow manage to play it all, there's even more fan-made stuff to tack on as well).

Aggril on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The ps2 Baldur's Gate games are extremely weak even compared to the other hack and slash offerings on the ps2. Dynasty Warriors makes Dark Alliance its bitch. And it has the distinction of not being a cash in on a better game.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »

No, no, no, no, no.

No.

They're completely different games

It also drives me bonkers when I tell friends about Baldur's Gate and they think they've already played it because of the console versions... My blood pressure is spiking, I better calm down now.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    DozingDragonDozingDragon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Guys, guys, how come no one asked if he has Tales of the Sword Coast? That expansion pack is worth it, it has one of the greatest dungeons of all time.

Oh, and for actually playing the game, be sure to not be too stingy with wands and scrolls, as you pretty much need them to get through a lot of areas (including the final battle).

DozingDragon on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did they ever release any of the Baldur games for Mac? I don't have a PC.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did they ever release any of the Baldur games for Mac? I don't have a PC.

Yeah.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    :(

I liked the Dark Alliance games, and they played nothing like Dynasty Warriors thank you very much. They didn't have much substance though. Suppose I should go look up the original Baldur's Gate games, even though I'm sure my comp can't handle anything more intensive than Starcraft.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ugh. I just bought Baldur's Gate II without knowing that it continues the story of the first one. I'm boned. All these RPGs and their sequels are so goddamn confusing.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ugh. I just bought Baldur's Gate II without knowing that it continues the story of the first one. I'm boned. All these RPGs and their sequels are so goddamn confusing.

You don't really need to play BG1 to follow the story. The intro to BG2 will fill you in on pretty much everything you need to know.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Zell wrote: »
    Explore everywhere once you get all your party members, there's random magical items everywhere. They're usually attached to people who will instantly kill you the moment they see you, but that's all part of the fun.

Relating to this, the Twisted Rune...

Less related, I have a BGII CD stuck in a CD drive I cannot supply power to. It makes reading these threads very frustrating.

Linden on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Linden wrote: »
    Zell wrote: »

Relating to this, the Twisted Rune...

Less related, I have a BGII CD stuck in a CD drive I cannot supply power to. It makes reading these threads very frustrating.

You know, most CD drives have a little hole that you can shove a paper clip into that forces the drive open.

Shorty on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I liked Dark Alliance 1 and 2 for the Xbox, great little Diablo clones

but the PC versions are immense RPG's the likes of which have not really been seen since imho

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    I liked Dark Alliance 1 and 2 for the Xbox, great little Diablo clones

but the PC versions are immense RPG's the likes of which have not really been seen since imho

And which we might not get to see again with the way gaming is going these days.
    Please let Dragon Age: Origins be good

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ok so the character that I made was a neutral evil elf but druid was unavailable.

You have to be "true neutral" to play a Druid. So just Neutral. Not Neutral Good, Neutral Evil, Lawful Neutral or Chaotic Neutral.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Legba wrote: »
    Ok so the character that I made was a neutral evil elf but druid was unavailable.

You have to be "true neutral" to play a Druid. So just Neutral. Not Neutral Good, Neutral Evil, Lawful Neutral or Chaotic Neutral.

I think your problem is instead that elves can't be druids, actually.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I need to find BG 2

Also shorty that is what that hole is for?

magical

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Legba wrote: »

I think your problem is instead that elves can't be druids, actually.

Really? 2E has some weird rules.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The only thing I hated about BG2 was that
    you couldn't have both Viccy and Keldorn in your party. She's an awesome cleric, and Keldorn makes caster fights laughable.

I need to finish my playthrough with my Half-orc Kensai. Foebane +5 and Axe of Unyielding +5 will be good times.

Edited for spoilers in case people wanted to find that out themselves.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    Darius BlackDarius Black Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Oooh, yes yes yes! Go here: www.pocketplane.net

I would also suggest - nay, demand - you use EasyTutu. And feel free to mod the hell out of the game for extra quests and such. What a great series, I tell ya.

Darius Black on
    Quick, quiet, confident
    Comfortable, permanent
    Undisputed, every tense
    Not a trace of what went left
    More equal than the best
    Unparalleled success
    Everybody, V-impressed