As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vista and Warcraft 3

TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
So, my mate calls me the other day about a problem he's having with Warcraft 3 on his Vista machine. He lives in Sydney and I'm in Melbourne, so I haven't taken a look at the machine myself, but he is having a very strange issue...

He installs the game, plays it for a while, exits it, goes to start it up again and... "You don't have the required disk in the drive or some such crap"... he checks... yes he does... tries again, same message. After a while of retrying this, he finally gets a message complaining that he doesn't have directx installed... but he does... No biggie, I'll just try a reinstall he says... reinstalls it, gets the same messages. He tries running it in compatibility mode... no dice. He's also tried a NoCD crack but was unable to find one that worked for him.

So, I got him to do a system restore to before he installed the game the first time. He does so, installs the game, and hey presto! It works! He goes off and plays it for a little while, exits it, has dinner or something, comes back to play it and... the issue surfaces again.

So, I'm pretty much stumped... tempted to get him to run it in WINE... has anyone else had the same issue (and most importantly know of a remedy?).

tl;dr Vista, install Warcraft 3, play, exit, try to play again, "No CD in drive!" or "You don't have directX", System restore, repeat process, same outcome, anyone with the same issue and a fix?

Trentus on

• Options
    Desert_Eagle25Desert_Eagle25 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Trentus wrote: »
    So, my mate calls me the other day about a problem he's having with Warcraft 3 on his Vista machine. He lives in Sydney and I'm in Melbourne, so I haven't taken a look at the machine myself, but he is having a very strange issue...

He installs the game, plays it for a while, exits it, goes to start it up again and... "You don't have the required disk in the drive or some such crap"... he checks... yes he does... tries again, same message. After a while of retrying this, he finally gets a message complaining that he doesn't have directx installed... but he does... No biggie, I'll just try a reinstall he says... reinstalls it, gets the same messages. He tries running it in compatibility mode... no dice. He's also tried a NoCD crack but was unable to find one that worked for him.

So, I got him to do a system restore to before he installed the game the first time. He does so, installs the game, and hey presto! It works! He goes off and plays it for a little while, exits it, has dinner or something, comes back to play it and... the issue surfaces again.

So, I'm pretty much stumped... tempted to get him to run it in WINE... has anyone else had the same issue (and most importantly know of a remedy?).

tl;dr Vista, install Warcraft 3, play, exit, try to play again, "No CD in drive!" or "You don't have directX", System restore, repeat process, same outcome, anyone with the same issue and a fix?

He doesn't need a NoCD crack, the latest Wc3 patch removed the need for a CD. He should reinstall the game and effing PATCH it.

Desert_Eagle25 on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Agreed. Tell him to connect to Battle.net in-game and it should download the latest patch for him.

If that isn't an option, he can get the latest patch for The Frozen Throne here: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=21224 (I assume he has frozen throne and not Reign of Chaos only)

Here is page for basic Vista-Warcraft troubleshooting: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?articleId=22661&categoryId=3204&parentCategoryId=&pageNumber=1

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    TrentusTrentus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks guys. He's gonna grab the patches once his download meter resets. I can't believe I didn't think of patching it on my own...

I'll write back if there are still issues. Thanks again!

Trentus on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    Unless there's some weird foreign region shit, the patch should fix this, Trent. I had the same issue with War3 for a while, and then the 1.21 patch came and voila, no more disk needed so no more problem.

JustinSane07 on