As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Police Presence in Denver: Goddamn Hippies!! Thank god the cops are here!

12346»

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Yeah, teargas is just like a bullet.

You're advocating a violent response to protests that prevent you from traveling a street that you have chosen to travel. So yes, teargas is just like a bullet.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Brian888 wrote: »
    There are harassment laws everywhere in the US.

We are disagreeing with what peaceful means. I do not consider it peaceful if people prevent me from going to work. I do consider it peaceful if the same people wish to stand outside my work to picket and verbally protest. Physically blocking me from going somewhere is not peaceful.

Were they preventing you from getting to work by physically pushing you back from your building's entrance?

Are they re-routing all the bus schedules in the whole fucking city?

The bus that I take to work maybe?

Wasn't this reported in the paper ahead of time, so that you could make other arrangements?

Brian888 on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    I just find it funny that if the police had not been there and if there was a riot everyone would be bitching about the police not being able to handle a situation.
    Heh, that's exactly what happened at the 2000 DNC. Earlier that year there was a riot after the Lakers won the NBA title and the cops just sat around and basically watied for every to riot themselves out. And got crucified for it by the press for being unprepared and not having a riot brigade on-site to nip the riot in the bud.

So when the 2000 DNC and "Shadow Convention" came around the cops took the opposite tact and were all over LA in force, and broke up the Rage Against the Machine/Ozomatli concert. And got crucified for it by the press for being overly jumpy and having too heavy-handed a police presence on-site.
    Yeah, my heart really goes out to the LAPD. They get unfairly villainized.

The LAPD still mostly sucks. But that doesn't mean they didn't face a damned if you do/don't situation in 2000.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008

We are disagreeing with what peaceful means. I do not consider it peaceful if people prevent me from going to work. I do consider it peaceful if the same people wish to stand outside my work to picket and verbally protest. Physically blocking me from going somewhere is not peaceful.

Were they preventing you from getting to work by physically pushing you back from your building's entrance?

Aren't there way more reporters than there are protesters?

Hell, every time there is a baseball or football game downtown they should start shooting off tear gas, because it sure as fuck makes my commute time increase twofold.

Doc on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Doc wrote: »

Aren't there way more reporters than there are protesters?

Hell, every time there is a baseball or football game downtown they should start shooting off tear gas, because it sure as fuck makes my commute time increase twofold.

Yeah, no kidding. Whenever Stampede rolls around in Calgary the entire mass transit system grinds to a halt. Same with Flames' games. Goddamn people should be tazered for making me have to deal with the fact that I am not all by myself in the world.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I do not consider it peaceful if people prevent me from going to work. I do consider it peaceful if the same people wish to stand outside my work to picket and verbally protest. Physically blocking me from going somewhere is not peaceful.

Do you consider sit-ins to be a peaceful means of protest?

Anytime you intentionally block someone from moving freely about you are acting aggressively, but not violently. Which is why it is not considered peaceful, this is backed up by the supreme court. I can't cite cases out of hand but they have upheld laws allowing people to be arrested if they are blocking the path of others.

Look, it's illegal everywhere in the US to intentionally block people from moving about. Those laws are not contrary to the constitution. This isn't really even a debate.

What is a debate is how the police handle these situations. I personally don't care if they gas people laying in the street to get them to leave. I prefer it to having them clog up the justice system, it's already overloaded from wasting our time arresting drug users. However, I'm not going to be upset if police are forced to only arrest these people and make them spend the night in the tank. I just don't care much either way.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I do not consider it peaceful if people prevent me from going to work. I do consider it peaceful if the same people wish to stand outside my work to picket and verbally protest. Physically blocking me from going somewhere is not peaceful.

Anytime you intentionally block someone from moving freely about you are acting aggressively, but not violently. Which is why it is not considered peaceful, this is backed up by the supreme court. I can't cite cases out of hand but they have upheld laws allowing people to be arrested if they are blocking the path of others.

Look, it's illegal everywhere in the US to intentionally block people from moving about. Those laws are not contrary to the constitution. This isn't really even a debate.

What is a debate is how the police handle these situations. I personally don't care if they gas people laying in the street to get them to leave. I prefer it to having them clog up the justice system, it's already overloaded from wasting our time arresting drug users. However, I'm not going to be upset if police are forced to only arrest these people and make them spend the night in the tank. I just don't care much either way.

You don't care what they do as long as you get your street unblocked, gotcha.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

So... you just want the trains to run on time?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I sympathize with the people who want to be left the fuck out of everyone's pet cause.

I also sympathize with the people who are protesting and feel marginalized by people saying they don't care about their pet cause.

At the end of the day, I'm more likely to side with the people who want to be left alone. Unless of course, it's an issue I care about, in which case ra ra ra siss boom bah

GungHo on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Wasn't this reported in the paper ahead of time, so that you could make other arrangements?

Well yeah, but it doesn't make the "protesters are inconveniencing me" argument any less silly.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

yes but as it turns out many more bus routes are being re-routed that were not previously announced.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    Tumbler 360Tumbler 360 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Doesn't having a permit to protest excuse the disruption of traffic and what not? Why aren't you mad at the city for inviting the DNC into town if you are so mad about people getting in the way... The city knows things are going to be insanely inconvienent while the convention is in town so why does it matter if protesters are gathering? the city gave them permission.

If this is a reason for police to step in and get people moving that army of cops should just rough up everyone in the DNC and move them along. those are permitted events too, I'm assuming it's all permitted. Maybe I'm just getting the protester side of the story and the riot police are only around for groups that are not gathering in places that were approved?

the fact that they set up a zone for protesting way outside the main DNC area doesn't appear to be consistent with allowing people to have a peaceful protest if you herb them into one area and surround them with riot police...

Does somebody have an overhead map of how the city is setup right now? Maybe we can see where the groups were when teh riot police were involved? Maybe they are in a part of the city they were supposed to be?

Tumbler 360 on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So... you just want the trains to run on time?

Well played sir.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So... you just want the trains to run on thyme?

This is a thread about police force, not about alternative energy solutions. Stay on topic!

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So... you just want the trains to run over The Time?

Don't wish harm upon others just because you don't like their music!

Locust76 on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    This is eaxctly why I don't want the Olympics in Chicago.

Our roads and public system are already crowded and are breaking with increasing frequency. Add in a bunch of protestors and nutballs, and you've got a big mess on your hands.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Well yeah, but it doesn't make the "protesters are inconveniencing me" argument any less silly.

Inconveniencing abortion clinic workers or patients by blocking the front door and forcing them to use the back door is a federal crime. Not that these folks in Denver were blocking off any kind of health-related service, but the "protestors are inconveniencing me" argument is fairly serious in some situations.
    although those patients wouldn't need abortions if they'd used the back door in the first place :winky:

BubbaT on