As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Purchasing cat6 ethernet cable and USB cables

CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Following the hijinks of getting a Walmart-purchased cat6 cable stuck into the ethernet port of my laptop, I went to Best Buy looking to purchase a 15' length of decent branded cable. I also need a 3'-6' length of USB cable, since the HP printer I just ordered online came today without one (what the hell? Is that normal?), and is sitting as an expensive paperweight on my dorm room floor while I figure out what to do.

Best Buy only had absurdly overpriced Geek Squad cables (29.99 for a 15'), and less-expensive yet still ridiculous cables from Dynamax (or something)...in either 3', or 25' lengths. USB cables were only Dynamax branded....$30-something for a 6'.

Any suggestons for a retailer that dosen't ridiculously fucking gouge college kids? Are Cat6 cables and USB cables really that expensive? I'm guessing in my case, here, the fact that the happened to be "24kt gold-plated" might be indicative of why they were so much. I've discovered the fucking Monster cables of the computer world, ironically, in an application with even LESS of a need. I'm even cool with buying online and having them shipped, if they do that. I just don't see how they're so expensive....$40 for an optical mouse, slightly less for some fucking wire?

CheBourgeoisNoir on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah, Monoprice is the way to go. Incidentally, if you happen to be in/near Madison, WI, I can get you one of each for free :) (Legal and everything!)

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    TrippyDKTrippyDK Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    And to answer your secondary question, it is very normal to not have a cable come with your printer.

TrippyDK on
  • Options
    CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks guys, ordered and sent Priority Shipping :) And Embrik, I'd love to take you up on that, but I'm over in East Lansing at MSU.

Mods: Lock and change title? Solved!

CheBourgeoisNoir on