As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Forum Function Question

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
edited September 2006 in Critical Failures
Not sure where to put this so I'll make a thread. I think this question might come up and I didn't see it address in the Rules.

Can games be played here on the forum?

I've seen other forums entire games played via a thread. While this may not be very optimal for playing experience, some people do enjoy it. Plus, it's kinda neat to browse through several games right here to see what's being played. Usually, I've seen them make an [IC] thread and an [OOC] thread for each game. While I don't really give a shit either way, the Mods might want to address this issue. Is this place just for discussion, advertising, etc or will it include actually playing?

This is, of course, applying to the pen & paper RPs.

sig4.jpg
Talonrazor on

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Might want to re-read the rules thread.

But yes.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Scooter wrote:

But yes.

I read that each game gets a thread but it wasn't a 100% clear if that was correlating to an actual gaming thread or merely discussion about the campaign.

But that's cool then.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Talonrazor wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

But yes.
    I read that each game gets a thread but it wasn't a 100% clear if that was correlating to an actual gaming thread or merely discussion about the campaign.

But that's cool then.
    Yeah, for sure. If you can do it in one thread, have at. However, if it's going to take more than one thread at a time, get in touch with one of us.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Thanatos wrote:
    Talonrazor wrote:
    Scooter wrote:

But yes.

But that's cool then.
    Yeah, for sure. If you can do it in one thread, have at. However, if it's going to take more than one thread at a time, get in touch with one of us.

Awesome. So, ask for permission before doing an [IC] and [OOC].

Just as a note, it's almost impossible to do a full game with a single thread. The OOC chatter really loses both the feel and the flow of a game. I haven't seen it ever work very well. Simple opinion.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Games played out through forum posts are a disaster anyway. Every time I've tried it it's fallen apart heinously.

You're on the internet--there are much better ways to run a game than through forum posts.

Captain K on
  • Options
    prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Will the 40k/WHFB thread be moved here from G&T?

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Will the 40k/WHFB thread be moved here from G&T?
    I'll do that right now, in fact.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Actually, no I won't. Now that this forum is running, we can separate that thread into multiple threads: a WH40K thread and a WHFB thread. Plus, people can make additional threads on individual discussion topics related to either game.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Captain K wrote:
    Games played out through forum posts are a disaster anyway. Every time I've tried it it's fallen apart heinously.

You're on the internet--there are much better ways to run a game than through forum posts.

I've seen it work very well, but I agree there are better ways.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    prawnstar69prawnstar69 Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Awesome.

Maybe I can get some people back into FUMBBL.com's Blood Bowl.

I'm guessing this is an appropriate place.

prawnstar69 on
    Bana84.png
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Okay, question RE threads this place should have:

Can we do a few polls? Like preferred online company for selling, preferred dice company, and favorite snacks? =)

2) The rules say no personal projects. I know it's a fun hobby of kids with too much time on their hands to make their own games, however.. Is that okay, as long as it doesn't infringe copyright on the rules system or use copyrighted material as its base?

Edit: Oh, and there are a LOT of lesser games out there. Like my personal favorite, Fading Suns.. but mind jumps to Traveller, Hackmaster, Babylon 5 (roleplaying, cardgame, and both war games), and so on. Will each of these be getting their own threads, or are we going to consolidate?

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Athenor wrote:
    Okay, question RE threads this place should have:

Can we do a few polls? Like preferred online company for selling, preferred dice company, and favorite snacks? =)

2) The rules say no personal projects. I know it's a fun hobby of kids with too much time on their hands to make their own games, however.. Is that okay, as long as it doesn't infringe copyright on the rules system or use copyrighted material as its base?

Edit: Oh, and there are a LOT of lesser games out there. Like my personal favorite, Fading Suns.. but mind jumps to Traveller, Hackmaster, Babylon 5 (roleplaying, cardgame, and both war games), and so on. Will each of these be getting their own threads, or are we going to consolidate?
    While I haven't talked to the other mods about this, the general trend of the forums is to deconstruct megathreads. So, for now, if you want to talk about a game, make a thread about it.

Given its popularity, the multiple threads for Magic: The Gathering is fine, IMO.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Captain K wrote:

Apparently, Traditional Games on SomethingAwful has been wrong for two and a half years then.

And I'm not just poking at you without reason, I want to run a play by post.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Edit: Moved to the Monkey's Den.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch