As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a good PC game...

Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
Hey guys,

Just got a brand new pc, looking for a good game to test out the graphics card. I'm into any genre, but looking for some GOOD that hopefully isn't too expensive, but that's no big deal if it's a really good game.

Is Hellgate London any good?

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
Godspeed, Ironsides.
Jedi_Boi on

• EladmirEladmir Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    devil may cry 4 looks pretty amazing on a high end computer.. I think the only way to play it is with a pc controller though keyboard was awkward.

Warhammer online looks nice.

Eladmir on
  • ForgottenSpiralForgottenSpiral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    Is Hellgate London any good?

Bwahahahahahahaha *gasp* ahahahahahaha.

Phew *pant* Oh man.

Seriously Hellgate London is fun. So fun I bought a lifetime sub. Too bad the company went bankrupt and the game has since been MURDERED BY RABID FISH.

I may have made up that fish part. Or maybe not...

Anyway I think the typical graphics crusher is Crysis. I don't think anything has topped that as far as graphic power intensity, right?

ForgottenSpiral on
  • Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Does it play well?

Jedi_Boi on
    i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yeah DMC 4 is a good benchmark game if you're into scrappers like that. Just ignore the plot, otherwise it's a pretty awesome game.

I'm going to assume you've got an 8800 or higher, so to really put the stress on that, I'd suggest the following games:

- Crysis: Pretty much the definitive benchmark game right now, and a really good FPS. If you prefer your shooters more linear then you might not like it as much, but here you really get to choose how you approach your objectives.

- Company of Heroes: One of the best RTS games to date. Squad level World War II based strategy game with a tonne of atmosphere.

- Supreme Commander: If you prefer Macro strategy as opposed to close in, micro management of troops, this is the RTS for that. Battles take places pretty much across whole continents and can often involve massive land, sea and air armadas clashing simultaneously.

There's plenty of other games I could mention but I think those are probably the most system intensive ones at the moment.

subedii on
  • ForgottenSpiralForgottenSpiral Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    Does it play well?

By "it" are you referring to Hellgate or Crysis?

I haven't played Crysis because my computer can't run it well enough.

Hellgate on the other hand is a game some people love and most people hate. It's like Diablo if Diablo was a first person shooter. It's riddled with bugs and it is NOT a graphics powerhouse, but it's fun and I like the 'universe'. I've read the comics and the books and find it pretty cool. I even have a Hunter statue that I bought. Unfortunately it tries to do too many things at once and ends up failing at most of them. As much as I love the game, I just can't recommend it.

ForgottenSpiral on
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Stalker: Clear Sky comes out what? Next week?

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If Far Cry 2 is out before the end of the year, I suggest you look into that.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited August 2008

That soon?

*sigh*

I'm sorry to do this to you wallet, but it's that time of year again...

subedii on
  • maybeccamaybecca Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It's older, but how about Oblivion, with some of the graphics mods? The game itself is pretty cheap, and POOP 2 (an impressive-looking collection of mods, tested for compatibility and with comprehensive installation instructions) should be released soon.

Dwarf Fortress won't hassle your graphics card, but it might give your CPU something to do.

maybecca on
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    subedii wrote: »

That soon?

*sigh*

I'm sorry to do this to you wallet, but it's that time of year again...
    It's only $40 and you can probably wait for a review or two based on some early disagreement on how good it is.

POOP v.2 is out but no update on their page yet.

People seem to love GRID, even non-racer fans go gaga over it. I can't seem to give away my copy for $20 though.. grr.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • WeewolfWeewolf Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Orange Box off of steam, or Warlords Battlecry 3 are your best bets currently. Right now is a bad time to pickup a new game, everything is going to be released in the coming 3 months.

Weewolf on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    maybecca wrote: »
    It's older, but how about Oblivion, with some of the graphics mods? The game itself is pretty cheap, and POOP 2 (an impressive-looking collection of mods, tested for compatibility and with comprehensive installation instructions) should be released soon.

Dwarf Fortress won't hassle your graphics card, but it might give your CPU something to do.

This and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC, don't know about Clear Sky, but I assume it will be good.

Xtarath on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Weewolf wrote: »
    The Orange Box off of steam, or Warlords Battlecry 3 are your best bets currently. Right now is a bad time to pickup a new game, everything is going to be released in the coming 3 months.

Yeah, bye bye money!

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • OpiumOpium regular
    edited August 2008
    1701AD is gorgeous
    271078_full.jpg

Opium on
    edited August 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »

Yeah, bye bye money!

The Orange Box is $39.99. If you are expecting to pay less than that for a game that can tax your graphics then I suggest you head on over to www.fileplanet.com and download demos. I know Crysis and Hellgate both have demos...there is also a demo for the latest Unreal Tournament game too.

Weewolf on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Yeah, bye bye money!

The Orange Box is $39.99. If you are expecting to pay less than that for a game that can tax your graphics then I suggest you head on over to www.fileplanet.com and download demos. I know Crysis and Hellgate both have demos...there is also a demo for the latest Unreal Tournament game too.

I was actually talking about the upcoming games, so many i want...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
    edited August 2008
    I was actually talking about the upcoming games, so many i want...

I fully agree with you, bye bye money! :mrgreen:

Weewolf on
  • Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll name a few sitting at my desk I love.

Bioshock
    Mass Effect
    Assassin's Creed
    Dungeon Siege 2
    Orange Box
    Farcry
    Company Of Heroes
    Oblivion
    Crysis
    Battle For Middle Earth 2
    WAR: (Well, on my desktop, waiting for open beta.)

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sins Of A Solar Empire, GalCiv2, Civ4

any one of those will keep you busy for a long long time.

Ah_Pook on
  • LoM2LoM2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I can agree with toxin on:

Bioshock
    Mass Effect(played on 360)
    Assassin's Creed(played on ps3)
    Orange Box
    Oblivion
    and Crysis
    but I haven't played the others.

I'd put Call of Duty 4 and one of the battlefield's (2 or 2142 both pretty good)

As for the one's i played on ps3 and 360, they're both great games and super fun. Don't know how they play on PC but fundamentally they both have good concepts and are just darn fun to play.

-Benhamine

LoM2 on
    sigfinalfinalcopy.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I wonder how many threads I'll be able to mention X3 in this week.

Sir Carcass on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    If you like strategy games, check out Medieval 2: Total War.

Seeing thousands of soldiers with maximum settings fighting each other at 60 frames per second is sure to impress your friends.

Though, my PC starts shitting itself at 7,000 men on at once, I should probably eventually replace my 8800 GT with something newer.

Oh, its also the best turn based/real time hybrid strategy game in existence.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I just started playing Call of Duty 4. It's an extremely impressive game in terms of gameplay, presentation, and graphics & audio. The game is also extremely well optimized for PC gaming, unlike say Assassin's Creed, so with a high end machine, you can not only max out the graphical quality settings, but also jack up the resolution and anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering and it'll still run well.

Assassin's Creed is an oooookay game. It's not super great but it's not terrible. It has a fantastic engine and is quite impressive graphically in terms of scope and detail. The production values are through the roof. But the game itself is .. it's okay. Kinda mediocre. The game itself is also not optimized all too well for PCs. A brand new gaming rig will run it just fine, of course, but it almost certainly won't run as well as something like COD4.

Crysis is a great game you can use to push your new system to the maximum in terms of tech though. It's a fun game as well.

I still say COD4 though. Truly an awesome game. And intense.

slash000 on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    World in Conflict.

It's an awesome game as well as being spectacular looking. The multiplayer is brilliant as well as innovative, and the singleplayer is extremely engaging and well done (if a little short). My favourite RTS game since DoW. The expansion is coming soon-ish as well.

-SPI- on
    edited August 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    World in Conflict.

It's an awesome game as well as being spectacular looking. The multiplayer is brilliant as well as innovative, and the singleplayer is extremely engaging and well done (if a little short). My favourite RTS game since DoW. The expansion is coming soon-ish as well.

That really was one of the most awesome trailers, although all the trailers for that game were cool. I liked the Magnum PI one.

Word of warning on the game though. It's very good, but really I feel it's more of a multiplayer game. Honestly, I got a bit bored with the singleplayer.

subedii on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Multiplayer World in Conflict is spectacular, and it's one of the very few RTS games I will play online. Because if you crash and burn horribly, you don't feel like a total retard most of the time. Which I tend to do.

Zxerol on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    ORANGE BOX

It's all I play on this pc. And for good reason.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    i-dub-thee-surreal-20080526003222512.jpg

THE ORANGE BOX

artoo on
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Toxin01 wrote: »
    I'll name a few sitting at my desk I love.

Bioshock
    Mass Effect
    Assassin's Creed
    Dungeon Siege 2
    Orange Box
    Farcry
    Company Of Heroes
    Oblivion
    Crysis
    Battle For Middle Earth 2
    WAR: (Well, on my desktop, waiting for open beta.)

Winnar.

COD4, Titan Quest, Civ IV and Medieval Total War 2.

MindLib on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I didn't care for TQ as much as I had hoped. It's fun, but not amazing. I suppose that for $20 or possibly even less it's worth it, though.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Mount & Blade
    16.jpg
    Yeah it isn't a looker but it is an amazingly deep, cheap game still in beta. Drop 35 bucks on it now and get it free with the full retail release. The combat mechanics are great, and the scale is pretty impressive. You can, should you acquire the gold or support of a lord, command armies of over 30 d00ds, become a vassal under a lord, etc. Also you can get castles and all that. And it has face creation sliders like Oblivion.

Also, even though the world is fictional, the game is made to be historical in a sense that there is no magic or any of that, and there is a fully working feudal system in place.

Moar hawt pix:
    41.jpg
    23.jpg
    28.jpg

Sorry to be on this games dick and all but I just started playing and it's pretty great.

Site

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    World in Conflict is also good if you want to completely devestate highly detailed cities and suburbs with scorched earth bombing/artillery runs. Then you can use the massive craters as cover for your infantry. I must have played the single player 3 or 4 times over already. +

spoilers on most of the cutscenes.
    The assault on Ellis island movie. Holy shit. It almost brought a tear to my eye. Also the cutscene where the soldiers and humvees are charging over the hill under fire, one with the american flag, and then the camera pans up over the berm and you can see that they are charging at a Burger joint with soviets firing from the windows and roof. God its so intense.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • artooartoo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    UT3 is 20 bucks and would be a good test for your video card too... But still, Orange Box if you got the cash.

artoo on