As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Two Party System

Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'll begin by acknowledging that our Republic has pretty much had a two-party system since her infancy. However, I believe that it's entirely detrimental to Democracy to have only two parties, to whom their respective members profess loyalty, govern our nation. Allow me to explain.

1) As with our corporate controlled media, the dominant factions in each party choose which ideas and positions their respective party presents to the public. This leads to a tyranny of the majority, where both the minority factions of the major parties and the minor political parties find it extremely difficult to have their ideas heard. For example, social conservatives and evangelicals dominate the Republican party. This means the socially liberal, homosexual and state's rights Republicans have no power to shape policy. This tyranny also leads many politicians to vote with their respective parties rather than with their conscience or their constituencies.

2) With only two parties espousing diametric ideologies, our nation is split along a great ideological divide. One must choose a side to remain politically relevant. It doesn't matter if you're an economically conservative Democrat, you're still on the left and you'd better vote as you're told.

3) When one party dominates the presidency and both houses, it enacts policies while facing very little opposition. When one party controls the presidency while another controls one or both houses, then very little might get done. Having more than two parties would drastically reduce the chance of a one-party rule.

4) With only two major candidates in any given election, lobbyists rule while those with neither wealth nor clout are marginalized. Unions, corporations, pro-Israeli groups, Christian groups, etc help shape both a candidate's and a party's policies. Were multiple candidates to be seriously considered in elections, then lobbyists would have to spread their money across multiple fronts, thus reducing their effectiveness.

Personally, I want to see other parties represented in the debates... namely Bob Barr and Cynthia McKinney of the Libertarian and Green parties respectively. Even if they have no chance to actually win the election, they might at least help to shape the national dialogue and thus domestic and foreign policy.

Oh yeah, and my apologies if this has been discussed before. I did a quick search but didn't come up with any threads of this specific nature.

Richard_Dastardly on

• Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    In Canada we have a handful of legitimate political parties, but only 2 have ever held office. So do not distress so much about having only 2 real political parties, more will eventually crop up and gain acceptance and popularity, they just don't manage to actually take office.
    To respond to your post

1. Voting along party lines is an issue in Canada also. It's become popular to state that representatives are encouraged to vote with their conscience and will not suffer any political backlash from voting against party lines on a Bill, but it is hard to say how true to their word they really are.

2. Ideological divides will exist even with a greater number of political parties. If the state your voting in is not contested it hardly matters if your voting for one of two parties or a third party, I agree that perhaps total votes should hold more sway, such that your votes matter regardless of where you cast them.

3. More political parties does shake things up a bit. Us against Them is not a good mentality for political discussion and getting bills passed, either you force it through or nothing happens. With more political parties you will find a middle ground.

4. Lobby and political contributions are already on the table for reform or have been reformed. More political parties doesn't really fix this, you need better regulations, which hopefully you will get.

Dman on
  • Options
    JoschuaESQJoschuaESQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I for one, will vote in favor of bringing back the whig party!

JoschuaESQ on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    both parties have some good ideas mixed with mostly crap.

right now im in favor of making sure than neither party can get anything done.

democratic run government is gonna suck just as much as the republican run one.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    JoschuaESQ wrote: »

We manage that, and the Republicans and Democrats will just join forces once again in some sort of uber-party.
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    both parties have some good ideas mixed with mostly crap.

right now im in favor of making sure than neither party can get anything done.

democratic run government is gonna suck just as much as the republican run one.

Prepare yourself for more feel good legislation then. Hey, at least the Left and Right can agree that we need to attach electronic dog collars to sex offenders or that we believe the children are the future, so we'll just pass laws to treat them well and let them lead the way.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

We manage that, and the Republicans and Democrats will just join forces once again in some sort of uber-party.

It'll be Liebermans all the way down...

I'm more in favor of the Bull-Moose party.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wazilla wrote: »

It'll be Liebermans all the way down...

I'm more in favor of the Bull-Moose party.

I am also in favor of a Bull-Moose party so that the Democrats can win every time.

Couscous on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Personally, I want to see other parties represented in the debates... namely Bob Barr and Cynthia McKinney of the Libertarian and Green parties respectively. Even if they have no chance to actually win the election, they might at least help to shape the national dialogue and thus domestic and foreign policy.

I'm partially playing devil's advocate here, but why should two parties who, according to their showings in pretty much every election, represent the views of a tiny sliver of the American voting public be allowed access to nationally televised debates to "shape the national dialogue"?

Also, I think third parties would have a lot more success if they focused on the local and state levels first, rather than grasping for the brass ring of the Presidency.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Instant-runoff voting is the answer.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Prepare yourself for more feel good legislation then. Hey, at least the Left and Right can agree that we need to attach electronic dog collars to sex offenders or that we believe the children are the future, so we'll just pass laws to treat them well and let them lead the way.

feel good legislation would happen regardless.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »

I'm partially playing devil's advocate here, but why should two parties who, according to their showings in pretty much every election, represent the views of a tiny sliver of the American voting public be allowed access to nationally televised debates to "shape the national dialogue"?

Also, I think third parties would have a lot more success if they focused on the local and state levels first, rather than grasping for the brass ring of the Presidency.
    Because of the voice of the minority should also be heard?

tofu on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    re: OP

1) Ron Paul didn't have much trouble getting his ideas heard. Neither did Al Sharpton or Dennis Kucinich. The primary system might not be the best way to do things, but it does a better job than you're giving it credit for.

2) You have to choose a side anyway. There are socially and economically conservative democrats, and socially liberal republicans. They're in Congress right now. As most legislative decisions are yes/no anyway, two sided coalitions are going to form under any system.

3) Again, true in any governmental system. When one faction gets a broad public mandate, shit starts moving. The american system does a better job of slowing this process than most.

4) I haven't looked into this at all, but I suspect that in a multi-party election, you'd increase the influence of money, not decrease it. If there are five candidates competing for oxygen instead of two, the power of money to buy attention is amplified.

The libertarian and green candidates deserve to be heard from, and they are. I'd even be in favor of including them in the debates (or maybe, just one debate.) But it's pretty silly to put a fringe candidate on equal footing with a candidate with broad public support.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ron Paul garnered an impressive (for him) gathering of followers in spite of the concerted effort by the mainstream media and major candidates to ignore him... except for Rudy, who I will argue is ten times crazier than the craziest Paulite. Kucinich was the same, minus the impressive following. Sharpton, Kucinich, Brownback, etc basically had the Scooby and Shaggy roles in the debates. They were funny in a pathetic kind of way, but at the end of the day it was Velma and the ascot wearin dude really solved the mystery.

As far as number 2 goes, I realize that there are socially conservative Democrats, etc in both houses. However, when pertaining to big issues, how many vote with their party and against their core values?

I also don't think McKinney's ideas are fringe... the Green Party's core beliefs are stuff pretty much anyone can get behind. Of course, the whole notion of non-violence would kill her chances at election anyway.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tofu wrote: »

So then every single person who considers themselves to be a Presidential candidate should be included in nationally televised debates?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd like to point out that the current method of election is actually mathematically destined to collapse into a two party system. There have been shifts in the parties over the years.. but it always collapses into some form of two party system.

Sure it would be nice to have more options and more parties to choose from, but with the current method of voting, its not going to happen

lizard eats flies on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    So then every single person who considers themselves to be a Presidential candidate should be included in nationally televised debates?

Well, no. But that'd be interesting.

You have to get yourself on the ballot first. So, how about this: every candidate who can at least get on the ballot in at least 45 states will have a place in the debates.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd like to point out that the current method of election is actually mathematically destined to collapse into a two party system. There have been shifts in the parties over the years.. but it always collapses into some form of two party system.

Sure it would be nice to have more options and more parties to choose from, but with the current method of voting, its not going to happen

This is interesting. Do you know of any studies on this that would make sense to the layman?

Drake on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A winner take all model always collapses toward two sides, because it's very difficult for the "third" party not to play the spoiler.

The point I was making is that Ron Paul had the same shot any other candidate has, and he built enough of a campaign that he could get his views out there. Honestly if a wacky conservative can do that, anyone can. Dean did it in 2004; until like, summer of 2003 no one knew who the shit he was. American political history is shot through with these sorts of candidates (see: McCarthy, Gene, see: Wallace, George.)

I am in full support of IRV voting, and if I were to design the way run elections in a vaccum it would look almost nothing like the current system. But people who are big into third parties don't give it enough credit. Just because fringe candidates (candidates) are heard from and dismissed, doesn't make the system bad.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    A winner take all model always collapses toward two sides, because it's very difficult for the "third" party not to play the spoiler.

The point I was making is that Ron Paul had the same shot any other candidate has, and he built enough of a campaign that he could get his views out there. Honestly if a wacky conservative can do that, anyone can. Dean did it in 2004; until like, summer of 2003 no one knew who the shit he was. American political history is shot through with these sorts of candidates (see: McCarthy, Gene, see: Wallace, George.)

I am in full support of IRV voting, and if I were to design the way run elections in a vaccum it would look almost nothing like the current system. But people who are big into third parties don't give it enough credit. Just because fringe candidates (candidates) are heard from and dismissed, doesn't make the system bad.

Candidates like Paul and Kucinich only have an equal chance in some ideal world where at least most of the voting populace is well informed, and where they think critically and truly make their own decisions. That's not the political landscape in the States. Unfortunately, the media play a very large role. When they show Obama 5 times as much in the debates as Kucinich, it makes Obama automatically seem more viable. If McCain gets a question like "What's the best part of being a war hero" and Paul gets a question like "Are you running for the wrong party", that also shapes things in the minds of the voters.
    At least during the primaries, candidates need to be given equal coverage so that the people can decide, and the media needs to stop arbitrarily declaring front runners and longshots, since they aren't even right a lot of the time (Giuliani was supposed to be a front runner, but he was behind supposed longshot Ron Paul in all but one state). They should also hold every primary on a single day so that everyone in every state can choose from the entire pool of candidates. The only reason to do otherwise is TV ratings, and that's a bad reason to fuck up a country.

Here in Canada, though only two parties have formed the government, the others don't just "play spoilers". In the 90s, both the Bloc Quebecois and the Reform Party formed the official opposition, while the Conservatives (one of the two who've formed the government) fell to 5th. That's what happens when you do shit the people don't like, and they have alternatives.
    The NDP have also made some very key additions to the political climate and discussion in this country, in spite of never having formed the federal government (though they have formed several provincial governments).

The majority of Americans want 3rd party candidates in the debates. If it's limited to something reasonable, like having to be on the ballot in enough states (maybe enough to hypothetically form an electoral majority, maybe 45 like someone else said, anything like that), you'd only be adding two, maybe three candidates. Even if they don't get elected, they can move the discourse in the right direction.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tofu wrote: »

Within reason.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Candidates like Paul and Kucinich only have an equal chance in some ideal world where at least most of the voting populace is well informed, and where they think critically and truly make their own decisions. That's not the political landscape in the States. Unfortunately, the media play a very large role. When they show Obama 5 times as much in the debates as Kucinich, it makes Obama automatically seem more viable. If McCain gets a question like "What's the best part of being a war hero" and Paul gets a question like "Are you running for the wrong party", that also shapes things in the minds of the voters.
    At least during the primaries, candidates need to be given equal coverage so that the people can decide, and the media needs to stop arbitrarily declaring front runners and longshots, since they aren't even right a lot of the time (Giuliani was supposed to be a front runner, but he was behind supposed longshot Ron Paul in all but one state). They should also hold every primary on a single day so that everyone in every state can choose from the entire pool of candidates. The only reason to do otherwise is TV ratings, and that's a bad reason to fuck up a country.

Presidential primaries are staggered because it gives smaller-time candidates a chance to compete. A singular, nationwide primary would be decided almost entirely by fundraising prowess, with candidates like Paul relegated to the same status third parties now have in general elections.

There's plenty of reason to criticize the media, but when a candidate, for whatever reason, is far enough outside of what is "electable" (either through mathmatical elimination or a poor campaign), why should anyone be obligated to prop them up and give them a bully pulpit? Also, I don't think the "people are too dumb to pay attention to them" argument really holds any water.

Like I said, the primaries provide underdog candidates with plenty of opportunity to win, and to influence the dialogue. Dean made opposing the Iraq war a viable position; Ron Paul had a lot of ideas that people at least listened to. McCarthy basically dethroned a sitting president as a result of his primary performance. It happens.
    Here in Canada, though only two parties have formed the government, the others don't just "play spoilers". In the 90s, both the Bloc Quebecois and the Reform Party formed the official opposition, while the Conservatives (one of the two who've formed the government) fell to 5th. That's what happens when you do shit the people don't like, and they have alternatives. The NDP have also made some very key additions to the political climate and discussion in this country, in spite of never having formed the federal government (though they have formed several provincial governments).

Yeah, this is because you have a parlimentary system, as opposed to the U.S. presidential system.
    The majority of Americans want 3rd party candidates in the debates. If it's limited to something reasonable, like having to be on the ballot in enough states (maybe enough to hypothetically form an electoral majority, maybe 45 like someone else said, anything like that), you'd only be adding two, maybe three candidates. Even if they don't get elected, they can move the discourse in the right direction.

I question whether the majority of americans actually want this or not. If they liked third parties all that much, more people would vote for them, or would vote for equivalent candidates in primaries.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    There's plenty of reason to criticize the media, but when a candidate, for whatever reason, is far enough outside of what is "electable" (either through mathmatical elimination or a poor campaign), why should anyone be obligated to prop them up and give them a bully pulpit? Also, I don't think the "people are too dumb to pay attention to them" argument really holds any water
    Again, let me use Giuliani and Paul as the example. Giuliani was supposed to come in and win everything according to the media, and Paul was supposed to drop out after the first week. Instead, Paul beat Giuliani in all but one state. That's why the media is full of shit when they declare front runners, and should stick to just reporting what happens.
    As for people being stupid, do you really think any sane person would've voted for Romney if the media hadn't been so biased in his favor? He basically supported sidestepping the constitution to nuke everything in the middle east that wasn't Israel.
    Like I said, the primaries provide underdog candidates with plenty of opportunity to win, and to influence the dialogue. Dean made opposing the Iraq war a viable position; Ron Paul had a lot of ideas that people at least listened to. McCarthy basically dethroned a sitting president as a result of his primary performance. It happens.
    The problem is that the only people who actually listen to them are the people who are already thinking critically. The media spends a lot of energy making them look non-viable, and trying to make them look crazy even if they're making good points. A lot of people blindly listen to the media. If they're told a candidate is crazy, they'll buy it. I also don't think Dean is in that tier. He was the frontrunner until the whole 'Dean Scream' thing.
    Here in Canada, though only two parties have formed the government, the others don't just "play spoilers". In the 90s, both the Bloc Quebecois and the Reform Party formed the official opposition, while the Conservatives (one of the two who've formed the government) fell to 5th. That's what happens when you do shit the people don't like, and they have alternatives. The NDP have also made some very key additions to the political climate and discussion in this country, in spite of never having formed the federal government (though they have formed several provincial governments).

Yeah, this is because you have a parlimentary system, as opposed to the U.S. presidential system.[/quote]
    I think the Liberals could easily accuse the NDP of being spoilers, since a lot of NDP seats would probably go Liberal if the NDP weren't around. You still need a plurality or majority of the seats to form the government.
    I don't see how allowing people alternatives in an election has anything to do with whether you have a Parliamentary or Republic system.
    I question whether the majority of americans actually want this or not. If they liked third parties all that much, more people would vote for them, or would vote for equivalent candidates in primaries.
    I think there are a lot of people who support the Democrat or Republican who'd like another voice or two in there to keep them on the important topics and away from mudslinging. There're also probably a lot of voters who'd consider a 3rd party candidate, but would want to first see how they handle themselves in a presidential debate, or maybe they're undecided and want more options to choose from.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think we are now having the same argument in two threads.

I'm reading between the lines a little bit, but it seems like your basic issue is that the american voter is uninformed and intellectually lazy, and that the media do a poor job of fixing this.

I believe this is a fair assessment of the problem, but it's not a problem you can fix by changing the electoral system. If voters are disinclined to pay attention to candidates that will require them to think critically, it will be just as much of an issue under any system you want to devise. The frontrunner argument gets back to the media sucking, but your argument is sort of self-defeating. Despite his media annointing, Guiliani crashed and burned, and Ron Paul had a relatively successful campaign (such as it was) in the primaries.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I think we are now having the same argument in two threads.

I'm reading between the lines a little bit, but it seems like your basic issue is that the american voter is uninformed and intellectually lazy, and that the media do a poor job of fixing this.

I believe this is a fair assessment of the problem, but it's not a problem you can fix by changing the electoral system. If voters are disinclined to pay attention to candidates that will require them to think critically, it will be just as much of an issue under any system you want to devise. The frontrunner argument gets back to the media sucking, but your argument is sort of self-defeating. Despite his media annointing, Guiliani crashed and burned, and Ron Paul had a relatively successful campaign (such as it was) in the primaries.

What I'm saying with Giuliani is that sometimes the media can't push a candidate on the people no matter how hard they try. They succeeded with candidates like Romney and McCain though.
    The problem is that most voters aren't lazy so much as they've been brought up to believe;
    1) The media isn't going to be biased.
    2) There are only two legitimate parties.

If the media simply reported on any party and their candidate who were on the ballot in enough states to hypothetically form an electoral majority, and did an unbiased job, the candidates themselves would be forced to stick more to the issues. Instead, they know the people are easily led, and they play to that.

How about something as simple as candidates getting equal time in primary debates? That doesn't seem unreasonable. Some may say "But I don't want to hear from such-and-such guy, he's crazy". I thought Romney was a walking pile of crazy, but he still got plenty of coverage.
    When Obama and Clinton are getting about 25 minutes each in a debate while someone like Kucinich is getting about 5 minutes, is it really surprising that some people marginalize his importance after that, regardless of what he's saying?

QUICK POINT
    The electoral system doesn't need to be changed in any major way so much as they just need to be less exclusionary. Hell, they're not even subtle about their motives. When a 3rd candidate came in and actually had a shot at various points back in 1992, they added more obstacles for 3rd parties right afterwards.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Drake wrote: »

This is interesting. Do you know of any studies on this that would make sense to the layman?

This is a reference to what is known as Duverger's law, although it has a key limitation in that regional politics may limit this tendency (Riker). The basic principles of this are easy to understand:
    The brutal finality of a majority vote on a single ballot forces parties with similar tendencies to regroup their forces at the risk of being overwhelmingly defeated. Let us assume an election district in which 100,000 voters with moderate views are opposed by 80,000 communist voters. If the moderates are divided into two parties, the communist candidate may well win the election; should one of his opponents receive more than 20,000 votes, the other will be left with less than 80,000, thereby insuring the election of the communist. In the following election, the two parties with moderate views will naturally tend to unite. Should they fail to do so, the weaker party would gradually be eliminated as a dual consequence of "under-representation" and "polarization." Under representation is a mechanical phenomenon. Elections determined by a majority vote on one ballot literally pulverize third parties (and would do worse to fourth or fifth parties, if there were any; but none exist for this very reason). Even when a single ballot system operates with only two parties, the one that wins is favored, and the other suffers. The first one is over-represented--its proportion of seats is greater than its percentage of the votes-while the party that finishes second is usually under-represented--its proportion of seats is smaller than its percentage of the votes.

In essence, it is tactically inadvisable to vote for a third party - I direct you to Nader as an example, and to the accusation that voting for a third-party is equivalent to voting for the opposition of that party's views. The trend operating here stems simply from denying all representation to those who do not win the election.

In terms of local support, were a third party to be voted for by, say, ten percent of the population evenly across the country, it would have no immediate influence. In contrast, if this support was concentrated in a single area, it has the potential to have rather impressive influence, due to winning actual seats.

This can potentially be resolved by some form of proportional representation, although if constituencies were to be retained then instant-runoff would eliminate the issue Duverger mentions above - I could list my first choice, for instance, as the Green party, without jeopardising my second.

The Wikipedia article outlines it reasonably well, and links to this page, from which I have quoted above.

Linden on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    Two parties are dangerous because they can only steal voters from each other, meaning they spin very similar politics.

You think your Democrats are leftists? Try looking at it from an international perspective. Sweden has seven parties in the parliament, and the US Democrats are probably just a bit to the left of our Moderates, which is the rightmost party.

edit: though I should mention that our seven parties are split into two blocks.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Two parties are dangerous because they can only steal voters from each other, meaning they spin very similar politics.

You think your Democrats are leftists? Try looking at it from an international perspective. Sweden has seven parties in the parliament, and the US Democrats are probably just a bit to the left of our Moderates, which is the rightmost party.

the problem is that the system is set up for 2 parties and always has been.

in order to change it you would need to amend the constitution which would mean that both parties would need to agree to basically add more competition.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Instant-runoff voting is the answer.

IRV can cause some very, VERY odd outcomes. I prefer any voting method which completes the Condorcet criterion, when electing a single individual.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Violent revolution is starting to look pretty swank right now. . . Just sayin'. . .

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Gerbil2309Gerbil2309 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    New Zealand's electoral system is an interesting operation in diluting two party control. Since it was introduced in the early 90s (i know, not a tonne of water under the bridge) there hasn't been a single party able to rule in its own right. This has meant that smaller parties have had to shape up a bit - the NZ Greens have played a role in government, as have other smaller parties. At least theoretically this means that they can't just talk shit knowing they will never have to implement their promises in government, which is a good thing.

It will be interesting to see how the Australian Greens are affected by the recent change in the balance of power in the Senate. Will they seek to become more of an active party in government (not necessarily a coalition partner, but at least taking a stronger role in shaping government outcomes) or retreat towards their base as a protest party?

Gerbil2309 on
  • Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    As far as number 2 goes, I realize that there are socially conservative Democrats, etc in both houses. However, when pertaining to big issues, how many vote with their party and against their core values?

I think you're confusing what comes to a vote as what the decision actually was. Each party is going to predict the likely outcome, quite accurately, before every calling a vote. When something comes to a vote its likely that over 90% of the voters have already decided. Do you really think a senator who's been in office for over 20 years is going to have to ponder their stance on an issue up until the last minute? And since they're obviously not going to very often, don't you think everyone else can predict their vote relatively accurately?

Things only come to a vote for 2 reasons, I would think. 1) to make a political point (campaign using the vote as evidence of support or opposition to a specific issue). 2) to actually pass laws. Very rarely is the outcome of the vote unknown before it starts.

Cauld on
  • Options
    MendrianMendrian Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, you don't need more than two candidates in the general election.

What if we eliminated primaries and replaced them with run-off or multiple-round voting? Say, start with a huge pool of nominees, then reduce it to a handful and eventually to two for the general election? I don't know how many rounds of voting the American public has the attention span for, but I would guess at least three.

Then you can have politically relevant candidates from all walks of life, whose only qualification is getting people to care about their message.

Mendrian on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A radical idea I've been toying around with:

Extend Antitrust laws to political parties, making them essentially an illegal cartel. As in, move from a two-party system to a no-party system, but keep the rest of our electoral process intact.

We don't allow cartels, because they lead to a group amassing market power, in order to enrich themselves at the expense of society. Arguably, political parties are similar. They are associations to amass power to the insiders at the expense of outsiders, and politically enrich participants at the expense of society.

enc0re on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

in order to change it you would need to amend the constitution which would mean that both parties would need to agree to basically add more competition.

I was under the impression that everything was originally set up to be non-partisan in your system.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Cauld wrote: »
    I think you're confusing what comes to a vote as what the decision actually was. Each party is going to predict the likely outcome, quite accurately, before every calling a vote. When something comes to a vote its likely that over 90% of the voters have already decided. Do you really think a senator who's been in office for over 20 years is going to have to ponder their stance on an issue up until the last minute? And since they're obviously not going to very often, don't you think everyone else can predict their vote relatively accurately?

Things only come to a vote for 2 reasons, I would think. 1) to make a political point (campaign using the vote as evidence of support or opposition to a specific issue). 2) to actually pass laws. Very rarely is the outcome of the vote unknown before it starts.

I'm referring to members of Congress who might face political retribution if they don't vote alone party-lines.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    saggio wrote: »

I was under the impression that everything was originally set up to be non-partisan in your system.

That's true. George Washington himself was actually against having formal political parties, because he felt it would eventually lead to a 2 party system and divide the nation.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

That's true. George Washington himself was actually against having formal political parties, because he felt it would eventually lead to a 2 party system and divide the nation.

There's nothing about political parties in the Constitution of the United States.

[edit] and here's some more things that are not in the Constitution-

http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html#pparty

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Derrick wrote: »

There's nothing about political parties in the Constitution of the United States.

When did I say there was? I didn't mention the constitution. It was a personal opinion Washington had.
    Edit: I just realized that that probably wasn't directed at me. Sorry.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

When did I say there was? I didn't mention the constitution. It was a personal opinion Washington had.

Read the whole quote tree. Hint- Dunadan019

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Read the whole quote tree. Hint- Dunadan019

Yeah, I caught that when I re-read.
    Sorry about the misunderstanding man.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

just becuase the document did not state political parties does not mean that it didnt determine the number of political parties we have.

12th amendment
    The person having the greatest Number of votes for President, shall be the President, if such number be a majority of the whole number of Electors appointed; and if no person have such majority, then from the persons having the highest numbers not exceeding three on the list of those voted for as President, the House of Representatives shall choose immediately, by ballot, the President. But in choosing the President, the votes shall be taken by states, the representation from each state having one vote; a quorum for this purpose shall consist of a member or members from two-thirds of the states, and a majority of all the states shall be necessary to a choice. And if the House of Representatives shall not choose a President whenever the right of choice shall devolve upon them, before the fourth day of March next following, then the Vice-President shall act as President, as in the case of the death or other constitutional disability of the President.

so if we had 3 parties, you can either have 2 that are tied and one that is far below (which is the same as the parties are today). one that is far ahead and above 50 percent (a one party system). or they are all tied and the senate votes for one regardless of what the people actually want.

2 parties is the sensible option under the current constitution and it would need to be amended to make a 3 or more party system viable.

Dunadan019 on