As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSN content on different consoles?

kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Games and Technology
Quick question:

Is it possible to buy a game through PSN on a PS3 and then move that game to a different PS3 later?

Long story short: my roommate bought a PS3 on Monday and then announced that he was moving out (the two events are unrelated). He'll be in the house for another month or two and I'm really interested in Everyday Shooter and that Siren game - but I probably won't buy my own PS3 till later in the year. If I buy those games on MY account on HIS PS3 will I be able to migrate them later? Is this a pain in the ass?

kingmetal on

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The content is locked to the account names (PSN name) so if you setup a new account, download the content to it and then just log on using that account name on the new PS3 and you should be able to download again.

Otherwise you should just wait until you get a PS3.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    You can actually share titles on the PS3, I don't think this is against forum rules as (I can dig up the reference), Sony are aware and encourage it to an extent. It's only on the smaller downloadable titles (i.e not Warhawk, GT5:P etc) but if you share your account details with someone they can download any games you've paid for (Up to a maximum of 5 downloads).

So yes, you can access content on a different PS3.

(And game sharing should be discouraged over the internet unless you actually know someone because you're essentially sharing credit card info!!)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Playstation Network purchases are tied to the account only, not the hardware used todownload them.

This is unlike the Microsoft system, which links both.

Both systems have advantages. You can buy a game for one account on a 360 and play it on any account on that console.

Conversely on PS3 you can buy a game with one account and play it on any console using that account.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Cool! And this policy applies to big games such as GT5P and Siren?

kingmetal on
  • Options
    PeekingDuckPeekingDuck __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll tell you what game it is awesome on, Rock Band. Because everyone has access to their songs from any system. Rock Band Party Perfection (with liberal amounts of whiskey)!

PeekingDuck on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    There is actually a thread over on the SA forums about this. What people use it to do is split the cost of a game 5 ways. The best way to do it is Person 1 will pay for and download the game on an account created solely for that purpose. Then, Persons 2, 3, 4, and 5 will pay Person 1 and Person 1 will distribute account info for downloading the games. Before this happens, Person 1 removes his card from the account so people can't go crazy with downloads. Also, only one person can be on an account at a time, so once the game is done downloading the downloader will then log into another account and play normally because once the game is on the system you don't have to be on your account to play.

Awesome.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    kingmetal wrote: »
    Cool! And this policy applies to big games such as GT5P and Siren?

Yes, but some games (GT5P, Warhawk) you can only have one unique PS3 per 24-hour-period.

But going by the "several months" gap you're talking about, you'll be fine. Create a new user on his PS3, don't save the password, and enjoy.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll tell you what game it is awesome on, Rock Band. Because everyone has access to their songs from any system. Rock Band Party Perfection (with liberal amounts of whiskey)!

This.

My friend has a huge obsession with Rock Band and buys the songs as soon as their released. So I don't even really bother, when he comes over, he just logs onto his account and hooks it up. He has to download through his PSN account and had to create his own PS3 account on my PS3 (User accounts on the PS3). Then once installed, can be played by any accounts on that PS3.

Edit:
    Also, the 5 PS3 d/l thing goes like this. 5 Different PS3's it can be downloaded to. (Intended for replacements incase yours breaks) Once downloaded to that PS3, it can be downloaded unlimited amount of times. (Incase you want to clear space/format, etc)

plz correct if wrong

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Playstation Network purchases are tied to the account only, not the hardware used todownload them.

Conversely on PS3 you can buy a game with one account and play it on any console using that account.

Pretty sure this is incorrect for the most part. PSN purchases can be attached to up to 5 PS3s. If you try to download a game to a 6th PS3 even with the original account it won't work. However once the game is downloaded to the ps3 any account can use it.

There are a couple of exceptions to this rule and they are usually the big budget psn games like Warhawk and GT5 Prologue. These can be downloaded on up to 5 machines same as before but you can only use the original account AND you have to wait 24hrs between switching machines. (Basically stops account sharing)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I dunno about GT5 but with Warhawk you can use a different account, as long as the owner account's password is saved on the machine.

Mattitude on
    I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.