As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Re-programming Atari 2600 "Adventure" for current systems. [SCREENSHOT UPDATE]

halkunhalkun Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
adv_box.jpgAdventure2600O2_d1160.png

The iconic yellow castle, and the carnivorous.... Ducks? When I was a young laddy, I played the holy living hell out of this game. I recently got in contact with Warren Robinet who original made the game, and told me that every few weeks he gets an email from a fan who still plays this timeless classic today.

So anyways I've been on vacation and I'm working on a little project. I've decided to give adventure a facelift of sorts. I found that a pixel-perfect engine had been ported to C, and now I'm in the process of sticking in a sprite engine to handle SNES-type graphics.

I have a desktop screenshot of my development so far. It's not pretty, and has a lot of placeholder graphics, bit it's coming along.

As a little peek, here is my dragon.

grendragov9.png

halkun on

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well, stick with it and you might have something. :3

btw, this was the first game to ever feature an easter egg. By moving an invisible block somewhere, you can get past a barrier and see a little mini credits page.

The game was also remade with the quake engine.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    SOMEBODY GET THIS FREAKIN DUCK AWAY FROM ME.

Sheep on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Adventure is a very important game that blew me away when I played just a few years ago. Only on easy though. Screw the flicker maze.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You will be surprised how complex it is. (I have gotten a source code listing with the blessing of Mr. Robinet.) Did you know that the game actually multitasks all the objects in the game. Each one is a state machine that can be moved under it's own power, or by an external influence. For example. The dragons have a "guard priority" and actively wander the map looking for things to be a nuisance around. The bat actually has a "boredom meter" where it will snatch something away, fly towards something else, get board with what it has, and drop it to look for something else more interesting.

The code is quite an eye opener.

halkun on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    How many people made the initial game? 10? 15? Couldn't have been that many, right? I mean shit, back then they had punch-card MUDs.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Only one person made Adventure. That was Warren himself.

halkun on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What are you using for this? Allegro? How much Windows specific code is there? Could it compile under Linux?

Also, I will be bitterly disappointed if there's no easter egg which makes the dragons turn into ducks.

Edit: Also, are you working off this source code?

Frem on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Not to double-post, but here is a C++ (actually it's C99) version of the original source that I'm working with. (It's GPL) I've stripped out all the windows stuff and left the platform hooks for those who would like to take a stab at porting it to another system. Now this is the pixel-perfect version, my sprite version is derived from this and still under development.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Frem wrote: »
    What are you using for this? Allegro? How much Windows specific code is there? Could it compile under Linux?

Also, I will be bitterly disappointed if there's no easter egg which makes the dragons turn into ducks.

I'm using Allegro. The whole game is skinnable, so you will be able to "theme" the whole game using bitmaps. If you want to use the original dragon sprites, all you have to do is swap files.

You can also change the backgrounds and collision masks, the means you could make a FF6-themed version with the castle in a slightly different shape. For example the castle placeholder in the OP is actually a 640x384 graphic of the castle. (Actually, it's the black and white collision mask, black means you can't move there, white is OK). So themeable backgrounds have already been implemented.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    halkun wrote: »
    Not to double-post, but here is a C++ (actually it's C99) version of the original source that I'm working with. (It's GPL) I've stripped out all the windows stuff and left the platform hooks for those who would like to take a stab at porting it to another system. Now this is the pixel-perfect version, my sprite version is derived from this and still under development.

Umm, diff shows that that's identical to the code available at the link I posted. Did you mean you just removed all the other Windows specific files?

Frem on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yup it's the same file, it the GPL'ed Adventure: revisited, however I'm still working on mine. If you download the source, there are MSVC project files and windows headers. I dumped those and just using those two files that I posted as a base. (Sorry for the confusion)

halkun on
  • Options
    dantreedantree Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    My lord did I love this game, cant wait to see how yours turns out.

dantree on
    psn: dantree
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I never played this but I intend playing it if you ever finish it, good luck young PA'er <3

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yup it's the same file, it the GPL'ed Adventure: revisited, however I'm still working on mine. If you download the source, there are MSVC project files and windows headers. I dumped those and just using those two files that I posted as a base. (Sorry for the confusion)

Doesn't Allegro provide functionality for most of the platform hook stuff?

Frem on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    yes, but the hook is only for plotting pixels, getting joystick/switch input, and playing sound. The code is a pixel-perfect simulator that emulates the graphics system of a 2600. I'm updating that part.

halkun on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Ok, Here's an update on how I have so far, (for those interested)

my2bj3.png
    lab1rh3.png

The state machine is working, and the sprite display system works. I still have to work on the code to move the objects around. The yellow castle in the background is a bitmap and can be any kind of picture, for example sprite art or a painting. I just have the original graphics there as a placeholder. I want to get the engine done before I go full-bore on the graphics.

I wonder how I can solicit help with the artwork?

This is all in portable C code. Maybe I should port this to the GBA when I'm done.

halkun on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I might be... interested in giving you a hand.

What are the limitations for the sprites in term of resolution and animation frames?

As an example, could you list those requirements (If there are any, that is.) in regard to say... the player character sprite, for instance?

aunsoph on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The moveable sprites are 32x32 truecolor pcx files, using bright pink (255,0,255) as the transparent color. I have most of those done. The only real "placeholder" is the sword, which could stand to be a little more attractive. The real graphic problem is the backgrounds.

The backgrounds are 640x384 pictures. You can draw whatever you want there. To keep the hero from walking on the "walls" a back and white picture is used as a collision mask. (If it is black, the hero can't walk there.)

Here is the collision mask for the castles. The object is to draw another graphic using this as a template. Now you can alter the mask if you want too, drawing black where you don't want the hero to go, but I rather try and keep everything a "pixel perfect" as I can for now, following the original game

The are style for the background I'm thinking of having is 16x16 sprites like below..

lufia2castle.gif

So, graphic wise, the only thing that *really* needs to be done is the backgounds and a 32x32 sword.

Here is a map of the adventure world. There are a few things I'm planning.

1) The gold castle is bright, like the sprite screenshot above.
    2) The back castle is dark and evil
    3) The white castle is an ice castle
    4) The gold castle and black castle have throne rooms. The black castle's throne is destroyed showing a hole to the dungeon catabombs behind it.
    5) The orange maze before the white castle is a dark, haunted forest.
    6) Both the black castle catacombs and the white castle maze (orange mazes) are dark. You can't see anything except what lights up within the immediate area of the hero. (Like zelda:LttP, when all the torches were out). This is taken from the original game.
    7) The "blue" maze is still undecided, but I'm leaning towards walls/hedges.

The game is GPL, and the art will be released under a Create Commons License

That's all I can think of for now.

halkun on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Should keep all the graphics exactly the same but totally pimp it out with pixel shaders out the ass.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    How do you pixel-shade 2d art?

halkun on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dunno but it would be damn impressive.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Throw some bevel and emboss on it :winky:

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Put some HDR all up ins.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Impressive idea.

I love the idea of remaking old games to look more modern but keeping them the same gameplay. Especially when Nintendo gave us All-Stars.

I have an old Atari 2600 game I've wanted to remake for years, and I did in 1998 on QBASIC, but I forgot the floppy at church and never went back. A friend I rarely see said he has it and keeps forgetting to bring it. But it's not a bid deal since it's so simple to recreate. I might redo it some time. Someone else remade it in a way a while ago but added and removed ideas so it's not the same. So I still feel I can do it. I won't mention the name though but it's a classic and my first memory of gaming ever.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The yellow dragon is afraid of the yellow key.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The yellow dragon is afraid of the yellow key.

...on level one. The priority changes on the different levels.

halkun on
  • Options
    aunsophaunsoph Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ok, I made you a [strike]Lizard-Killing[/strike] Dragon-Killing Sword. I doodled a few generic fantasy swords on my tablet, then picked this one to turn into pixel-art:

Sword.gif

If you like it, I'll send you the .PCX with the #FF00FF transparency via PM, since Photobucket doesn't allow me to upload .PCX for some esoteric reason. And furthermore, if you decide to write a help file for the game, I can also touch up the sword sketch, so you can possibly add it to the item description.

aunsoph on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Klyka wrote: »

Then bump map it. Bump map the HELL out of it.

Back on topic: I am very excited to see this progress.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Specular and normal maps!

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Neat project! I'd enjoy seeing this decked out in more modern garb.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wulf wrote: »

Specular and normal maps!

Oh baby, you're getting me so hot... makes me want to bust out the hardware T&L.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was messing around with Photo Shop for the heck of it and came up with this:

edit: updated castles on following page(s)

I dunno. I feel like it needs more stuff going on. Maybe. And possibly more yellow. Also, I dunno if it's "too detailed" in terms of colors and detail in the tiles I used.

slash000 on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, this...this thread is...

You guys, seriously.

Make this work.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't think you get too crazy with it, really. Remember, the game is (was?) a minimalist affair. I think you need not go farther than adding textures to the blocks that make up the original and sprites for the avatars, and you're there.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    :o That's great!

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't think you get too crazy with it, really. Remember, the game is (was?) a minimalist affair. I think you need not go farther than adding textures to the blocks that make up the original and sprites for the avatars, and you're there.

Good point.

I was thinking about adding some little minor touches though. Like maybe a few patches of dirt, a few tufts of grass, maybe the occasional flower. Some pebbles here and there. Something to make the grassy field look less empty.

But maybe it would indeed be more true to the spirit of the original to keep it minimalist.

Anyway, I'm going to take a crack at the "black castle" now I think.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Good point.

I was thinking about adding some little minor touches though. Like maybe a few patches of dirt, a few tufts of grass, maybe the occasional flower. Some pebbles here and there. Something to make the grassy field look less empty.

But maybe it would indeed be more true to the spirit of the original to keep it minimalist.

Nah, do your thing. Add that stuff. Unless you go absolutely nuts, it's going to be minimalist no matter what. I really dig the screenshot above. Keep going!

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Just took a shot at an "evil black castle":

edit: updated castles on following page(s)

slash000 on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I like the above shot, clearly going into the next gen direction.

But give it more gray and brown, and if there's no bloom then just give up right now.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So, I've done these two images, and then I got to wondering...

This map that Halkun linked.

Is that the entire game area?

That's only 30 screens. Many of them that would probably use repeatable art assets.

If that's the case, doing all of the world art for the game really wouldn't take too long. Even for one person.

slash000 on