As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Re-programming Atari 2600 "Adventure" for current systems. [SCREENSHOT UPDATE]

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ExoVark wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    Just wanted to update, so people know that work is still getting done:

Holy shit, where have you been, Exo? Haven't seen you here in probably 2 years.

Last time I posted was in the DNF thread a few months ago.

Heh. Must've missed that page of the thread. :P
    You should post around these parts more often.
    How is halkun handling animation? He mentioned the torches would need to be animated, and he could do that with only one tile per torch, but for that wharf scene, the whole thing will look pretty goofy if, say, the seagull isn't at least partly animated. Same with the water that's shoring up against the land tiles. That could all be done on a per-tile basis, but it would be a lot easier to just have one giant animation that covers the whole map and includes all the animated tiles, and just lay that over the parts of the map that aren't animated. Not as memory-efficient as the tile approach, but this doesn't look very resource-intensive to begin with.

The way the "world" art is working, right now, is that Halkun has made it so each "room" has 1 single PCX file for the collision map and 1 single PCX file for the art. You place the art PCX image over the collision map.

I would assume that by this method it may be easier to simply animate the entire "room" of the overlaying art image. But I have no idea, seeing as I know nothing about coding these things.

I'm sure Halkun has something up his sleeve for animating tiles. There are some key points that need to be animated. Torches, waves of water, seagulls, etc etc.

Hopefully he'll get to that. Haven't heard from him in a while though.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I would really reconsider putting extra objects in the throne rooms. Columns could have easily been in the original, represented by a square or color. They weren't there though, there was nothing. If anything, this makes me think the rooms were ransacked to a degree and all of the items were destroyed, leaving it empty.

I personally don't really care either way. Staying true to the original game's "collision map" is at odds with decorating and fully fleshing out a room with "stuff" to make it look more interesting.

I guess halkun has the final say on whether to have blocking objects in the room or not, but I'm sure he'll take into account everyone's opinion.

Update from me:

I've been chopping away at the Forest artwork. It's easily the most difficult, and thus most time consuming, aspect of the art for this game. But I'm making significant progress, it's just that it'll take quite a while. Still nothing to show as of yet. But soon.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been chopping away at the Forest artwork.

Har har har.

Great work on the art though.

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    Josh1billionJosh1billion Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    Great thread. As an independent game developer myself, I love to see the game dev process unfold.. it often inspires me to work on my own projects.

Good luck, and I'll be very interested to see the final result.

Josh1billion on
    Josh Forde, independent game developer
  • Options
    ShmittyShmitty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i hope this project makes it to completion. the art is fantastic. any update on the coding?

Shmitty on
  • Options
    ExoVarkExoVark Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    slash000 wrote:
    I would assume that by this method it may be easier to simply animate the entire "room" of the overlaying art image. But I have no idea, seeing as I know nothing about coding these things.

That would probably be better. Allegro probably renders all pixels regardless of transparency anyway, so all my idea would do is create another layer.

Edit: Actually there is the issue of RAM, which might be a concern if he wants to port it to GBA or something like that.

ExoVark on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So, I would like to take some suggestions on how to make a forest more "haunted."

Besides the two obvious features of being dark, and secondly having trees with scary faces, what else makes a forest "haunted?" I guess fog. Anyone have any other ideas? Maybe scary glowing eyes in some of the bushes.

ExoVark wrote: »
    slash000 wrote:

That would probably be better. Allegro probably renders all pixels regardless of transparency anyway, so all my idea would do is create another layer.

Edit: Actually there is the issue of RAM, which might be a concern if he wants to port it to GBA or something like that.

Oh yeah, he did mention possibly bringing to the GBA..

Well, it's up to him since he's coding. But animating the torches, waves, etc. is definitely something that will need to be addressed sooner or later..

slash000 on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    well how about an overlay instead of being dark, like with some light shining in through the tree tops.

I know you're not doing sound but random growls would work too.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well I plan on doing an overlay of some light shining through tree tops too. But there also has to be a huge overlay over the entire thing except around the hero, which has to be added by Halkun later, because that's how the game functions.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well I decided to post my current work-in-progress for the Forest:

forest1rx1.jpg

Still have a few things to do.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Looks a lot better than before.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i quite like how the forest is looking there, good job man

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Huh.

I just found a pretty significant inconsistency with the map screens that Halkun has used for the Forest, and how the actual maze is laid out in the original game..

The file named "MazeSide".. it has a couple of gaps in the maze that shouldn't be there. Should be blocked off.

I think I'm going to go with the original game's maze layout and Halkun will probably agree that we should fix this error in the current map images we're using in the game..

slash000 on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The forest is starting to look awesome. Nice work, man.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hahah, oh man.

The Forest is only 3 screens. But the way those three screens fit together is awesome, since it's physically impossible for you to go out one side of the maze and end up in another area. But it all works in the game. Kind of like the lost woods in some of the Zelda games.

The nice thing though is that 3 screens won't take me long to finish.

As a side note, I tried putting a treetop shade thing over the forest and it just looks funny so I'm going to have to do without it. Also I think it should work better this way since the only visible area in the Forest is going to be a small portion surrounding the hero, the rest of each screen will be black anyway.

*although I think it'd be cool that instead of being pitch black all around, it would be cool to have the evil red eyes peeking at the hero from the darkness.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hahahah!

I'm done with the Forest!

Now there's nothing left to do but the simplistic connecting empty rooms between areas! Haha this game's art is so close to being finished..

slash000 on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hahahah!

Now there's nothing left to do but the simplistic connecting empty rooms between areas! Haha this game's art is so close to being finished..

Are you putting music in the game?

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hahahah!

Are you putting music in the game?

Dunno. That's up to Halkun, since he'd be the one potentially coding music support into the game....

Personally I think it ought to have music and sound effects. The reason I say this is because.. well, with the original game, it was very basic and minimalistic. The lack of music and inclusion of only simplistic sound effects is kind of expected and not out of place under those circumstances..

But, having a higher resolution, having full-on "16 bit" graphics and detail, it seems to me that it would feel odd if there weren't music and normal sound effects (rather than beeps/boops).

Of course if music is put into the game, we run into another problem - we need someone to make the music :P Or, alternatively, find music that is public domain / creative commons or whatever.... The former solution has the problem of lacking someone to make the music, the latter solution has the problem of finding free music that is actually fitting of the various areas of the game.

Anyway... I hope we put music and proper sound effects in. But we'd need to find a music guy and/or music somewhere.

also Halkun needs to figure out a way to animate certain areas of the world, like torches and waves and such..

slash000 on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thnk you should compromise: put in some music (thinking very 8-bit, NES style Zelda) but KEEP the original sound effects.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Quick, someone show some of alex mauer's tunes to Halkun!

Impersonator on
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    how about no music, but extensive use of atmospheric background noises for the mood.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    OK... I have a question (for anyone who would like to answer, including Halkun if he decides to show up):

There are a few connecting rooms that I know what to do with, artistically, because they are simply 1 room transitions between 2 areas.

But there are a couple of rooms that I'm not sure what to do with.

Here is a map, I have labeled the ones that we know what they are, but I have indicated in red and circled the rooms that I do not know what to do with and what to make out of them:

questionmapey7.jpg

Any suggestions as to what to make these rooms and what to do with them / make them look like?

All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

carmofin wrote: »
    how about no music, but extensive use of atmospheric background noises for the mood.

That would certainly be easier.. might be a good idea.. but I guess we'll worry about sound once the main game's features are coded.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The easter egg room should either be:

A giant wang, or
    A picture of the heavy eating a sandvich

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Lol. The easter egg room is kind of low on the priority list right now at least.

The big question is what those three big empty rooms on the southeast are.

Are these rooms accessible at different times/ways depending on the level/difficulty that you're playing the game? Because that could affect what the art for them should be....

for example, I think on the easiest/first level, if you go South from the yellow room, I think you go right into the southeast pink room to get a Black Key and fight a dragon... Whereas on other settings you go through the forest. I think.. I'm not sure though becuase I'm only partially familair with the game...

slash000 on
  • Options
    ExoVarkExoVark Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You should probably wait and see what halkun's plans are, since he's presumably totally familiar with the game and also because he's the one who will be gluing everything together.

ExoVark on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm essentially done with all of the rooms except the Easter Egg room.

Don't know what to make that room or put into it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You're the artist -- make it an easter egg of a game/book/movie/TV show that you enjoy.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    A statue of a giant thumb?

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Options
    firekiunfirekiun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm essentially done with all of the rooms except the Easter Egg room.

Don't know what to make that room or put into it.

Make it the same as the castle map with original graphic, so people that never played the original will know how much improvement there are between the remake and the original one.

firekiun on
    PSN ID : Kiunch

I play Blazblue, Soul Calibur 4, Street Fighter 4 and soon Tekken 6... yeah... so add me if you want to play any of those.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Update:

Halkun has officially retired from this project for personal reasons.

So ideally if someone likes this idea, and wants to code their own version of this game, or pick up where Halkun left off, i'd be more than willing to continue making artwork. Most of the game art is done at this point, anyway.

If no takers, plan B is for me to start making this game myself from scratch.

slash000 on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The code has always been available. and It's written in C... VERY easy to read.

I just saw that forest... I feel like kind of an asshole now :(

halkun on
  • Options
    TheGreat2ndTheGreat2nd Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've never played Adventure...
    But it seems like it'd be interesting to program for the DS :O
    Is there a copy I could play somewhere? Or some recreation somewhere?

EDIT: And I feel as if I had time to do it, I'd probably go with OpenGL and C++.
    I need some practice in it, and it'd be kinda interesting to reprogram Adventure, which couldn't be super difficult.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just to let you know... The purple room to the right of the orange maze is the number select room...

halkun on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GUH!

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    http://www.simmphonic.com/programming/flash.htm#

What's the number select room?
    The way I see it, I think I might be able to do it in OpenGL.
    Draw a sprite. Throw on the background. Add in the map to make sure the main character doesn't collide into anything. Add the items. Then add the enemies.
    It might be a fun project...

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
    I'm Jacob Wilson. | facebook | thegreat2nd | [url="aim:goim?screenname=TheGreatSecond&message=Hello+from+the+Penny+Arcade+Forums!"]aim[/url]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    If you want to take it up, TheGreat2nd, I'll be happy to continue making art.

The only "tricky" aspects of the game are:

1. The "dark" areas
    2. The multiple difficulties, which change the map layout a tiny bit (i THINK but am not sure on this)

The dark areas you can only see a certain area around you. But that's kind of a simple issue to address the way ExoVark described it a page or two back.

Most of the game is picking up / putting down items, although there are only a couple of enemies with very basic "AI." The duckdragons which simply follow you, and the bat which flies around grabbing/dropping shit.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    halkun wrote: »
    Just to let you know... The purple room to the right of the orange maze is the number select room...

Is that room normally accessible within the game? As in, can you walk to it and enter it?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The darkness should be simple.
    Large black image with a hole in it. You can then adjust the alpha settings to blend in OpenGL.
    Move the black image with a hole, and bam, you have a spotlight.

The multiple difficulties I think I'll tackle last.
    That'll probably require reworking of the map layout, but nothing else.

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The multiple difficulties, if I recall correctly, are simply a matter of having some room exits lead to empty rooms rather than the next maze. The other difference, iirc, are that the items (like keys) are changed to another llocation. And finally I think that there becomes a Bat starting in the second difficulty, and also the duckDragons are in different places.

I'm not sure how the game tells if you are eaten by a duckDragon. Is it after "colliding" with a duckdragon for too long and then you go inside its belly? Or does it have to be open-mouth when you collide, and then you're "eaten?"

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I believe it's if you are colliding with a dragon for too long. And if you're colliding with it, it'll have it's mouth open.
    So, open mouth dragon + 3 second collision = death

TheGreat2nd on
    BinghamtonUniversity.png