As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Recommend me city building games

YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm looking for a good city building style game to get into. I used to be a fan of the old Caesar and SImcity games. is there anything newer that's similar? I'm not really into the combat aspect like Total War...

Any ideas?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
YourFatAuntSusan on

• RichInmanRichInman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Have you tried Sim City Societies? If you liked the old school Sim City games, this is their newest one, and it's not too bad.

RichInman on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I greatly enjoyed Pharaoh, and its expansion, Cleopatra.

zhen_rogue on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tropico or its sequel?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    zhen_rogue wrote: »

You mother fucker I was going to come in here and pull that one out and act all awesome with my incredible niche game knowledge.

shot3.jpg

What a great game.

The_Scarab on
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

You mother fucker I was going to come in here and pull that one out and act all awesome with my incredible niche game knowledge.

awesome

What a great game.

You are still all awesome because you like Pharaoh and went to the trouble in providing an awesome Pharaoh screenshot.
    Awesome job.

We can be awesome together.

zhen_rogue on
    edited September 2008
    The game was just so relaxing though. Which is rare in a city building game. The visuals were sweet too and while warfare was really non existant the economics were great.

Ordering in 200 bricks from my previous mission played city is super sweet.

The_Scarab on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Emperor was also quite nice, as well as zeus/poseidon. Probably not as good overall as pharoah, but they're probably better introductory games.

I liked children of the nile, though I know some didn't. Although it's more of a small town/villiage than city simulator. Never tried caeser IV, though.

Jealous Deva on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

shot3.jpg

What a great game.

My God, Pharoah... I freaking loved that game. So very relaxing... I remember building massive, massive temples and placing statues and monuments all around it... having the festivals in the centre of town, oh God yes, what a game.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Tropico or its sequel?

You rule.

Really, it's not as robust as many of the mentioned city builders, but there's something about being the dictator of a Caribbean island.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Why settle for a city when Spore is just around the corner? BUILD A UNIVERSAL SOCIETY.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tropico is fun. Lots of character.

captaink on
  • EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I preferred Caesar 3(i think it was the third one) over Pharaoh.

Same company, and almost identical games, I just preferred Caesar.

EskimoDave on
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I really enjoyed building cities in Black and White 2, but pesky wars and stuff get in the way sometimes.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I recall playing a Caesar III demo and really liking it. Not having to worry about fighting improved the game a great deal, I thought.

Both Caesar III and Pharoah are on Gametap, by the way.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hamju wrote: »
    I really enjoyed building cities in Black and White 2, but pesky wars and stuff get in the way sometimes.

Black and White 1. Plenty of just dicking around, building cities, and having your creature step on cows.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

awesome

What a great game.

You are still all awesome because you like Pharaoh and went to the trouble in providing an awesome Pharaoh screenshot.
    Awesome job.

We can be awesome together.

I would be awesome as well if a "friend" of mine didn't "borrow" my copy before suddenly leaving town without a word...

I miss that game. How does Children of the Nile stack up to it? Considering it's from the same people that made Pharaoh.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited September 2008
    It's not bad. I'd still say the 2d iso original is better but it is certainly not a let down. Their next game looks shit hot though.

The_Scarab on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Awesome.

This week is going to be expensive: WipEout HD + Children of the Nile = $40 = No Sleep.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I know this isn't exactly what you meant per se, but the Blockland retail game is great if you love just building and playing around. It's a "game" for the same type of player that might be into traditional city builders.

If you've never seen it, it's basically just building things with legos. For only $20 you definitely get way more than what you pay for. The community has a lot of cool additional mods in the forums.

zanetheinsane on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The original warcraft. I cared infinitely more about lining my roads up than I did about killing my opponent. Actually, if I recal correct, the 10 year old me would slaughter my opponenent, and leave them with like one farm or something left, and then I would spend the rest of the time working on my cities.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ceaser 3

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Tropico, Tropico 2, and Sim City 4 are all games I have played and enjoyed greatly. Be sure to get SC4's expansion if you go with it.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    Awesome.

This week is going to be expensive: WipEout HD + Children of the Nile = $40 = No Sleep.

I was in the beta of Children of the Nile and I loathed it.

They put 3D in it for the sake of 3D, removing many gameplay elements from Pharaoh in the process!

I mean, insanely brilliant thing about Pharaoh (and Stronghold + Settlers 2) was that you could get a complete overview of the gameworld at a glance: Just by glancing at your storage yards, you could see exactly how large stacks of goods you had of all the different types. And glancing in your fields, you could predict how large the harvest was going to be. The best thing was that if you looked back at your storage yard for a few more moments, you could actually judge how long a resource was going to last, by the amount of goods stacking up or getting removed, right before your eyes!

With 3D, they completely murdered those wonderful details, which made the world seem really alive. Instead, you were forced to click and read text menus instead to get the same information. The game was reduced to looking at numbers and spreadsheets, and the graphics, instead of being a part of the gameplay itself, became completely superficial and unnecessary.

There was a lot of other things I loathed about CotN as well, but I've managed to supress those horrible memories.

PS. In Sweden, Pharaoh was extra cool because the narrator for every mission, and every in-game help text, was Hans Villius, a very famous and prolific historian with a really, really characteristic voice. He was sort of the Donald LaFontaine of documentaries in Sweden and hearing him in Pharaoh brought an incredible authority to the game.

EDIT: Ok... somewhat of a hypocritical recommendation: Anno 1701. The graphics are absolutely drop dead bloody gorgeous, like Crysis good! I bet these guys could easily recreate the detail of Sim City 4 in 3D if they wanted to. Sadly, the gameplay is rather dumbed down, so it lacks replay value. But the first play through is great fun. (Very annoying AI diplomacy, though, which is extremely basic.)

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Please no Sim City 4. That game was gaarrrrbbbaageee. Sim City 3000 is still the best in the series, if you want a Sim City game.

Also from Sierra, Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom is a great game. Very similar to Pharaoh, except it's in Asia. They released it three years later too.

Edit: Oh by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Building_Series

Those are all the city building games Sierra released. Apparently Caesar IV was the last title released (I don't count the Sid Meier game).

I think I have Caesar II somewhere. I remember playing it as a kid and just not getting it. My city would always scream at me "PLEBS ARE NEEDED!" and I had no idea what that meant so my cities would fall apart.

SECOND EDIT:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City-building_game

Check out this. This is a list of City Building Games from various companies, not just Sierra.

JustinSane07 on
    edited September 2008
    eobet wrote: »
    Awesome.

They put 3D in it for the sake of 3D, removing many gameplay elements from Pharaoh in the process!

I mean, insanely brilliant thing about Pharaoh (and Stronghold + Settlers 2) was that you could get a complete overview of the gameworld at a glance: Just by glancing at your storage yards, you could see exactly how large stacks of goods you had of all the different types. And glancing in your fields, you could predict how large the harvest was going to be. The best thing was that if you looked back at your storage yard for a few more moments, you could actually judge how long a resource was going to last, by the amount of goods stacking up or getting removed, right before your eyes!

With 3D, they completely murdered those wonderful details, which made the world seem really alive. Instead, you were forced to click and read text menus instead to get the same information. The game was reduced to looking at numbers and spreadsheets, and the graphics, instead of being a part of the gameplay itself, became completely superficial and unnecessary.

There was a lot of other things I loathed about CotN as well, but I've managed to supress those horrible memories.

PS. In Sweden, Pharaoh was extra cool because the narrator for every mission, and every in-game help text, was Hans Villius, a very famous and prolific historian with a really, really characteristic voice. He was sort of the Donald LaFontaine of documentaries in Sweden and hearing him in Pharaoh brought an incredible authority to the game.

EDIT: Ok... somewhat of a hypocritical recommendation: Anno 1701. The graphics are absolutely drop dead bloody gorgeous, like Crysis good! I bet these guys could easily recreate the detail of Sim City 4 in 3D if they wanted to. Sadly, the gameplay is rather dumbed down, so it lacks replay value. But the first play through is great fun. (Very annoying AI diplomacy, though, which is extremely basic.)

CotN was a completely, entirely, absulutely different game from Pharoah. They literally have virtually nothing in common aside from that you place buildings down and build things. I don't think that makes CotN a bad game, though. It's a really amazing simulation of a barter economy, and it's one of the few city building games where every individual person is modelled. My only real problem with it is once you've built a big pyramid, amassed an army, etc, there's not much else to do. Scenarios past the first few in the campaign don't really add a whole lot.

But complaining that it's not the same as pharaoh is like compaining that Everquest wasn't like Ultima online, or that Neverwinter Nights wasn't like BG2. Different games, different systems, different goals, different implementations.

Jealous Deva on
    edited September 2008
    Awesome.

CotN was a completely, entirely, absulutely different game from Pharoah. They literally have virtually nothing in common aside from that you place buildings down and build things. I don't think that makes CotN a bad game, though. It's a really amazing simulation of a barter economy, and it's one of the few city building games where every individual person is modelled. My only real problem with it is once you've built a big pyramid, amassed an army, etc, there's not much else to do. Scenarios past the first few in the campaign don't really add a whole lot.

But complaining that it's not the same as pharaoh is like compaining that Everquest wasn't like Ultima online, or that Neverwinter Nights wasn't like BG2. Different games, different systems, different goals, different implementations.

If you read carefully, I do nothing of the sort.

My complaint is that the 3D game world they added eliminated the need for a 3D game world. You could no longer use the game world to read the game. You had to look away from the 3D game world in order to understand what was going on, hence turning it into a game of reading numbers in menus.

In Pharaoh and Stronghold (and Settlers 2 mostly), the game world itself contains all the information you need.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's a bit of a city builder mixed with some smaller block by block managing - but Monopoly Tycoon is insanely good. You can easily find it for around $10 and it's well worth it. It's basically building up areas of a city competitively with CPU or Human players with streets and themes from Monopoly.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited September 2008
    Awesome.

My complaint is that the 3D game world they added eliminated the need for a 3D game world. You could no longer use the game world to read the game. You had to look away from the 3D game world in order to understand what was going on, hence turning it into a game of reading numbers in menus.

In Pharaoh and Stronghold (and Settlers 2 mostly), the game world itself contains all the information you need.

To really do anything beyond a superficial level in pharaoh(IE import and export goods, make sure you have a good enough harvest, stockpile goods for projects/gifts/etc) you have to read numbers in menus. This is an odd compaint, especially as you can get pretty far in CoTN just by clicking on houses and looking at the demand indicators or clicking on individual people and watching them for a while.

I honestly don't know what you'd need to even look at numbers in a menu that much for, unless again you were intentionally stockpiling goods to send to other settlements or that kind of thing.

Your complaint just honestly really doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of both games.

Jealous Deva on
    edited September 2008
    Awesome.

To really do anything beyond a superficial level in pharaoh(IE import and export goods, make sure you have a good enough harvest, stockpile goods for projects/gifts/etc) you have to read numbers in menus. This is an odd compaint, especially as you can get pretty far in CoTN just by clicking on houses and looking at the demand indicators or clicking on individual people and watching them for a while.

I honestly don't know what you'd need to even look at numbers in a menu that much for, unless again you were intentionally stockpiling goods to send to other settlements or that kind of thing.

Your complaint just honestly really doesn't make a lot of sense in the context of both games.

What is the number one things you do in Pharaoh to manage your city? Making sure the level of food & resources is balanced.

By being able to see the contents of your storage yards directly in the game, you can not only see the current stock, but also see the rate by which it disappears or stacks up. You don't have to click, you don't have to search, you don't have to read anything. Because it's actively in your field of view at all times, your awareness of it becomes almost subliminal, and much more tangible than a boring, lifeless number in a menu. Also, to see the rate of consumtion in a menu, you'd need a graph.

But perhaps you think looking at a graph is more fun than looking at actual goods being moved around the game world?

eobet on
    edited September 2008
    Awesome.

What is the number one things you do in Pharaoh to manage your city? Making sure the level of food & resources is balanced.

By being able to see the contents of your storage yards directly in the game, you can not only see the current stock, but also see the rate by which it disappears or stacks up. You don't have to click, you don't have to search, you don't have to read anything. Because it's actively in your field of view at all times, your awareness of it becomes almost subliminal, and much more tangible than a boring, lifeless number in a menu. Also, to see the rate of consumtion in a menu, you'd need a graph.

But perhaps you think looking at a graph is more fun than looking at actual goods being moved around the game world?

So what you're saying is that you completely lack any understanding of how Children of the Nile works on even the most basic levels and/or have it confused with some other game. Ok I can accept that.

Jealous Deva on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, scores for Sim City Societies doesn't seem all that hot. I'm downloading the demo though, may as well give it a go.

There anything remotely recent that is sim city, settlers etc like?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sim City Societies got a giant patch after release that changed everything for the better. Sim City 4 is remotely recent.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If castles can count as cities (and they had their own economies, so I'd say yes for the sake of argument), then I'd recommend Stronghold, which has been mentioned in passing in this thread. There is a heck of a lot of building you can do, and the cottage industries feel a lot more interesting than big business. Plus, when you get bored of building, you can besiege the Tower of London as it was in the eleventh century.

Also, if you can get past the graphics, Dwarf Fortress.

These games are more for the small-scale civil engineer, though.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you are tired of having to replay old games to get your fix I will recommend The Settlers to you.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/21384.html

A nice video showing the city building aspect, though there is fighting involved to some degree.

X3x3non on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    StartopiaScreen.jpg
    Startopia

It was made by ex-Bullfrog employees, they did Populous and Dungeon Keeper, which means I shouldn't have to say too much more. It's old 3D but it holds up pretty well. I remember it being quite addictive.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Syd LexiaSyd Lexia Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ActRaiser.

Syd Lexia on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pharaoh is pretty much the best game in the genre. I love it so much. Setting up massive industrial areas with loads of tiny guys carting stuff about and producing things and then having a quarter of my city made up of storage yards due to massive overproduction and oh god where did all this flax come from, where am I going to put it all...

So good.

-SPI- on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    StartopiaScreen.jpg
    Startopia

It was made by ex-Bullfrog employees, they did Populous and Dungeon Keeper, which means I shouldn't have to say too much more. It's old 3D but it holds up pretty well. I remember it being quite addictive.

Also worth noting that the voice over guy did the voice for the Hitchhikers Guide in the radio series.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    meatflower wrote: »
    [IMG]http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e1/meatflower/StartopiaScreen.jpg[/IMG Startopia It was made by ex-Bullfrog employees, they did Populous and Dungeon Keeper, which means I shouldn't have to say too much more. It's old 3D but it holds up pretty well. I remember it being quite addictive.[/img]

Also worth noting that the voice over guy did the voice for the Hitchhikers Guide in the radio series.

I just reinstalled mine and it's not only Vista 64 compatible, it also has native widescreen support. Pretty good for a Direct X 8 game from 2001. Looks pretty damn good at 1920x1200 with all the settings cranked.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's not city building, but if you ever like to you know, create a safari.

Sim Safari is where it's at. I had so much fun with it.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png