As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help opening a .tif doc file

WerdnaWerdna Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've wracked the internet downloading software to finally open a .tif document sent to me as an email attachement. It's important for me to open and print ASAP.

I have an older Mac OSX program. Anyone know have any sure-fire software or any comp saavy tips?

At work I've used brand new desktop Macs in addition to some Dell at the public library. All with no success. Help please.

Werdna on

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Werdna wrote: »
    So I've wracked the internet downloading software to finally open a .tif document sent to me as an email attachement. It's important for me to open and print ASAP.

I have an older Mac OSX program. Anyone know have any sure-fire software or any comp saavy tips?

At work I've used brand new desktop Macs in addition to some Dell at the public library. All with no success. Help please.

A .tif is just an image... shouldn't any image viewing program be able to do it?

LaOs on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's an image. Preview can open it if the file is in good health.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    At my work, where I can't download software onto our newer Macs, Preview says it is corrupt or the program isn't updated to read it.

Preview at home just doesn't do anything.

Werdna on
  • Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Can't QuickTime player open TIFFs? Otherwise, Photoshop would be ideal...

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    Can't QuickTime player open TIFFs? Otherwise, Photoshop would be ideal...

gives me a broken quicktime sign.

Werdna on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You may have a broken tiff file in that case. Any chance you can get in touch with the sender and have them resend or send in a different format?

Daenris on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Daenris wrote: »
    You may have a broken tiff file in that case. Any chance you can get in touch with the sender and have them resend or send in a different format?

Waiting and waiting for that to happen. thanks for you input.

Werdna on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Either it's broken or it's not really a tif.

While you wait, try systematically changing the file extension, starting with obvious image formats (.jpg, .gif, .pdf, .eps, .psd, .doc etc.). Some people seem to think 'change file extension to .tif' is the same as 'save as tiff'.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    RhavenRhaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you can, you might want to suggest that the sender zip (or stuff, or whatever) the file before sending it to you. I've had problems with .tifs becoming corrupted in transit (e-mail or ftp), and zipping them seems to prevent this.

And, assuming it is really a .tif, you're probably screwed (with that particular file, anyway) if you can't open it in preview. I find that preview tends to do better than photoshop at opening files with slight problems. Several times I've had trouble opening files in photoshop but managed to open them in preview, resave them and then was able to work with them in photoshop.

Rhaven on
  • Options
    skress1skress1 Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    I'd suggest trying to open it with Image J (http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/download.html).
    It's a free software package that was developed by NIH for data analysis.
    It can open virtually any type of tif file (there are various types used in the science community).

skress1 on