As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moist and chewy computers - new Microsoft ad campaign, featuring Jerry Seinfeld

BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Here it is: Engadget

My opinion is that this could be a fun start to a long journey between Jerry and Bill. Since this is a $300m deal, I am guessing there'll be at least 5+ more commercials with the two? This one didn`t have anything to do with Microsoft or Windows but the line "moist and chewy computers" got my attention. That would totally kick ass.

What do you think?

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

Basar on

• gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm glad they didn't try to do a blatant retort to the mac/pc ads (at least not yet). I'm not sure where the next parts will go but I think they're off to a good start.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Forgive the stupidity...but what did that have to do with anything at all. Is there something in the works from Microsoft, a new OS or something?

Crayon on
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I assume this campaign is mostly about company image, or that's they way it seems right now. There should be more commercials that will add on each other.

Or maybe it's just about nothing.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Crayon wrote: »
    Forgive the stupidity...but what did that have to do with anything at all. Is there something in the works from Microsoft, a new OS or something?
    As far as I know, they're just sick of Mac making them look uncool, so they want to liven up the company image.

Ghandi 2 on
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So they bring in a comedian who was great and revolutionary during the 90s, but hasn't really done anything new for the last decade...

Just like Windows, really.

theSquid on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I thought this was a really dumb ad.

The whole thing is like this weird non sequiter, and then at the end the windows logo splashes up. It didn't have any focus.

The mac ads work because they reinforce all their branding; yes, they're clever, but they're also clean and sharp, and they portray Macs and PCs the way Apple wants.

This ad was a jumbled mess that was sort of funny, but I didn't take anything from it except that Bill Gates is sort of creepy and seinfeld knows a lot about shoes.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    In some round about way I think this ad describes the windows experience. You keep bending and trying to break the shoe but it never really will ever fit right unless you get a size bigger. In this case pay Microsoft an extra $50 for more than basic windows.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    In some round about way I think this ad describes the windows experience. You keep bending and trying to break the shoe but it never really will ever fit right unless you get a size bigger. In this case pay Microsoft an extra $50 for more than basic windows.
    I think it's moreso that you have to kind of work with it and figure out how to MAKE it fit, which can take work or odd solutions (shoes in the shower), but it's better than being handed a computer and patted on the head.

The Muffin Man on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If that's the point of these ads, they're asking for a lot closer viewing than most people are inclined to give a TV spot.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    While I agree that this ad was a horrible failure to do, well, anything, Is the windows bashing really necessary?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just saw it today to and was expecting a little more when I heard they enlisted Seinfeld for an ad campaign...

Gigaton on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd be happier if this somehow included a new commitment to tidy the fuck up the Vista interface for Windows 7. Or you know, just Vista.

electricitylikesme on
    edited September 2008
    I remember having wireless network issues with Vista. Fixing them was an enormous nuisance as every screen for networking (of which there were like fucking eight of them) each took a couple of seconds to load. It was like some kind of demented slow-loading maze.

theSquid on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Meh, I have nothing but good things to say about 64bit Home Premium. I think it's a fairly solid OS that took a while to get on its feet.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Was that his mugshot on the membership card?

I'm hoping this is going to turn out to be a series of ads (as in, some sort of continuity between them), and this one just "explains" why Seinfield's hanging around with Bill Gates. It seemed a little underwhelming, but hey. It is different, which they seem to be going for.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • MosatiMosati Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Man, whats this Vista thing I keep hearing about? The XP ISO I use is a 150MB and boots in 10 seconds. Shit, I'd still use 98 if I could get away with it.

I liked the commercial. It was a setup for the future ones and helps form a basis for the relationship.

Mosati on
  • DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Heir wrote: »
    Meh, I have nothing but good things to say about 64bit Home Premium. I think it's a fairly solid OS that took a while to get on its feet.

I agree. I have nothing but good things to say about vista. My expectations were that I would have to fight tooth and nail to get anything to work and that the OS would be slow. I have found the opposite. No problems at all and my computer runs fast.

I'll be interested to see where the add campaign goes. Microsoft really does have a reputation worse then they deserve. I was going to be annoyed at them for not allowing/enabling directx 10 on windows xp, but after doing some research I found out it simply isn't possible to run DX 10 on windows xp and Microsoft isn't just being a jerk to make me buy Vista.

Edit: I also have vista 64bit home premium, for the record

Dman on
    edited September 2008
    Dman wrote: »
    Microsoft really does have a reputation worse then they deserve.

Yeah, it's not like they're convicted monopolists or anything.

If it were anyone else, I'd shrug and say its not their best product and move on. But the whole OOXML mess and the consistent smear campaign bullshit they do about their competition (see Linux's "patent infringements") makes them comparable to Republicans in terms of what their reputation ought to be.

theSquid on
  • MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    theSquid wrote: »
    So they bring in a comedian who was great and revolutionary during the 90s, but hasn't really done anything new for the last decade...

Just like Windows, really.

Very true. The commercial was good but has nothing at all to do with changing the company's image. I feel no different about MS than I did before. There better be a very big "ahhh I see what you did there" moment.

Muriden on
    MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited September 2008
    Every new thing Seinfeld appears in makes me lose a little more respect for him.

Not that I had much to begin with, but does he have any other jokes or personas or is he just going to ride that schtick into the ground?

Aroduc on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think this ad campaign would have debuted to a much warmer response if it hadn't been preceded by so much hullabaloo and hype.

Like out of the blue there's a commercial with Jerry and Bill buying shoes, and it's not really advertising anything... and you don't have this pre-existing expectation that this commercial is supposed to make you want to buy Windows, that this commercial is supposed to be a retort to the "I'm a Mac" ads. I think it would have worked a hell of a lot better.

But now the whole damn thing is just going to fall flat.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ghandi 2 wrote: »
    Crayon wrote: »
    As far as I know, they're just sick of Mac making them look uncool, so they want to liven up the company image.

I find this funny because the ad played up Gate's geekyness.

Of course, I guess that was intentional.

Since he was a likable geek in the ad.

Which serves as a nice contrast to the "pretentious hipster dick" that Apple has.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think this ad campaign would have debuted to a much warmer response if it hadn't been preceded by so much hullabaloo and hype.

Like out of the blue there's a commercial with Jerry and Bill buying shoes, and it's not really advertising anything... and you don't have this pre-existing expectation that this commercial is supposed to make you want to buy Windows, that this commercial is supposed to be a retort to the "I'm a Mac" ads. I think it would have worked a hell of a lot better.

But now the whole damn thing is just going to fall flat.

fwiw, I hadn't heard anything about the ads before I first saw it the other day, and I seriously doubt that the vast majority of consumers will have heard of it by the time they first see the shoe commercial on tv.

SaraLuna on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I meh'd to it, because I was sick of Jerry Seinfeld when I was 12.

Satan. on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Pata wrote: »

Which serves as a nice contrast to the "pretentious hipster dick" that Apple has.

seriously though, i hate comercials about nothing. anyone remember the first target comercial? i thought they were selling arrows or trying to make people see everything as a target...

Dunadan019 on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I liked it.

The Future. Delicious.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited September 2008
    Pata wrote: »
    A thousand times this. While in practical terms gaming and familiarity will keep me on Windows for the forseeable future, every time I see an Apple ad I just want to grab Steve Jobs and hit him in the face.

electricitylikesme on
    edited September 2008
    Why, because they have a product they're comfortable telling you is better?

I mean, I've been a pc using since before there were hard drives, but apple's got a pretty awesome product and their ads do a good job of selling it. For all the bloo bloo about hipsterism, the Mac guy is played as a really humble dude.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited September 2008
    It's the hipsterism and Mac pretension and there's pretty much no way around it. Like I said, it's not really a rational response and OS X is the better product if you're just an office applications type user. But the ads, god I find them annoying.

electricitylikesme on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Back in my day, we had to use the command line... up hill... both ways... in the snow.

Now, first off, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm a big Apple user. That being said, there are a lot of Apple users that are pretentious assholes. On the other hand, I really don't think the "I'm a Mac" ads really portray that image at all. The Mac character is more of a comfortable and care-free guy, not a pretentious ass. The PC is loveable, but up tight. I'm not sure how you can get that the Mac is a pretentious douchebag out of those commercials unless you watch them with your preconceived notions of Apple users all being pretentious asshats.

But, back to the MS commercial, I actually like it. It's quirky, non-sensical, throws in a few inside jokes (like Bill Gates' mugshot), and isn't really pushing a product but rather trying to just portray Microsoft in a positive light, which they badly need to do.

Premier kakos on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My problem with the Mac ads is that they lie.

deadonthestreet on
    edited September 2008
    My problem with ads is that they lie.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Funniest thing Seinfeld has done in years, A+ would watch again

matisyahu on
    i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Why, because they have a product they're comfortable telling you is better?

I mean, I've been a pc using since before there were hard drives, but apple's got a pretty awesome product and their ads do a good job of selling it. For all the bloo bloo about hipsterism, the Mac guy is played as a really humble dude.

It's not the product we're really discussing, it's the breadth of the commercial. And their commercials are hipster bullshit.

Crayon on
    edited September 2008
    I don't see it. I mean, cause the dude is wearing dark jeans with a dark shirt?

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    edited September 2008
    I shrugged off the Mac ads. So they were acting like Macs are cool and PCs (read: Windows) are clunky and confusing. I don't recall them lying, just really exaggerating the complaints made about Windows, as made by regular users. I do think that a lot of Mac users have a freakish cult mentality going on though. Should've seen the freakish congregation that came to see the opening of the Mac store in Sydney.

theSquid on
    edited September 2008
    Freakish cult mentality would be that thread we had about running OS X on non-Apple produced systems.

electricitylikesme on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I liked the ad because it was amusing.

But 300 million?

Those must of been some expensive churros...

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's the cost of the entire campaign, not the one commercial.

deadonthestreet on
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The UK Mac vs PC adverts were unintentionally telling. They recast the actors with two comedians who do a lot of work together. In their most popular programme, one plays a sympathetic square whilst the other plays a guy who thinks he's cool, is unemployed, plays in a rubbish band and is generally a bit of a dick.

You can guess who played what.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399