As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me some books that will put me to sleep

MeisterMeister Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm suffering from some delayed sleep phase syndrome, so I need something to help put me to sleep at night. I figure, hey, I fall asleep all the time reading books assigned for class, so I might as well use this for my own good. Problem is I hate rereading books, so I have to find new ones. I know many of the people on the PA forums are very well read (it's well known), so I come to you for help. I'd prefer reading some good literature, rather than trying to just read a biology textbook or something.

So I'm looking for books that are considered really high class must-reads by academic society, but not a page turner that has a very enthralling plot. I want that Nobel Prize stuff (well it doesn't actually need to have won a Nobel prize), the books you'd discuss while sipping tea with your pinky lifted. Most of that stuff I can't bring myself to read for leisure, so I figure I might as well enlighten myself while getting some sleep help out of it too.

I don't really like books dealing with spirituality, though, like Steppenwolf, for example. Does Steppenwolf have lots of spirituality? I don't remember. All I remember is I didn't like it.

edit: I've heard Ayn Rand is good, but also very long and boring, so her books are already on the list.

3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
Meister on

• Options
    AlexanderAlexander Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hmm, well if you read a book that you enjoy its hard to put down so you keep yourself awake, I would say reading something you dislike will make you go to sleep.

Alexander on
  • Options
    SlainbylichSlainbylich Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Gentleman's Daughter: the lives of women in victorian England
    by Amanda Vickery

Slainbylich on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've never heard "long and boring" used to describe "good." Maybe some Stephen Jay Gould? Oh, I've got it...basically anything by Edward O. Wilson will fit the bill. Everything he writes is fascinating but hardcore science. You might enjoy it and be put to sleep by it. Try The Ants.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Alexander wrote: »
    Hmm, well if you read a book that you enjoy its hard to put down so you keep yourself awake, I would say reading something you dislike will make you go to sleep.

I'm looking for that sweet spot between so good that I want to keep reading and so bad that I don't want to read it at all. Mainly I'm looking for books that are good literature, but not very exciting.

For example, The Time Machine is a good book, but it's pretty exciting.

100 Years of Solitude, on the other hand, is also a good book, but it's not very exciting and put me to sleep a lot. I'm looking for books like that.
    edit: War and Peace too. I've heard that one is not very exciting, but it's "one of the world's greatest novels". I should put that on the list.

Meister on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Audiobooks are really good for this, as you can let them play and just nod off whilst listening to them.

As for books themselves, Classic stuff like Divine Comedy - Dante, Paradise Lost - Milton, Illiad/Odyseey - Homer, Aeniad - Virgil, The Histories - Horodotus. Otherwise a lot of russian literature - Anna Karenina - Tolstoy, Crime and Punishment - Doskoyevsky, Dead Souls - Gogol, The Dual - Chekov.

Rook on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Portrait of the artist was like chloroform in high school.

Dickens can somehow make the French fucking revolution slow

Grapes is pretty much a classic in this genre as well.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Anna Karenina, by Tolstoy.

Oh man, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man made me want to bored-ily cry bored tears of boredom.

In fact, James Joyce might be a good way to go in general here. Everyone tells me how wonderful his books are, but hell if I can get through them.

Bleak House, by Dickens.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Recommending boring books to make your eyes glaze over? Well, the most eye-glazing stuff I've read is university textbooks but they are kinda pricey. Just watch boring TV on a laptop or actual TV or find some poorly done books on tape(now available as books on CD) or something.

Reading engages your brain much more then watching TV in general so I'm going to suggest you read good books when you want to stay awake and watch bad TV (99% of the stuff) when you want to sleep.

Dman on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jane Eyre, if King of Queens is to believed, should turn the trick.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Jane Eyre is really good though.

Rook on
  • Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's not victorian literature, but I read James Herriot's animal stories to put myself to sleep. Nothing like an exciting breech calving to put you under.

Aurora Borealis on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    anything by Kafka.

only person that could make a 6 ft. cockroach/human a huge snooze fest.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't have any particular book recommendations, but I will mention one thing: feel free to read before bed, but don't read in bed. Read in a comfy chair for a while, then head to bed when you feel drowsy. Reading in bad can habituate you to doing things in bed that don't involve falling asleep, which would run counter to your goals.

Sexy fun time (:winky:) is the exception to this rule, but most people don't have any trouble falling asleep after that.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    cogellcogell Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nice Bob Dylan reference. h5.

Dickens will usually put me to sleep. I actually thoroughly enjoyed all of Rand's work, but your experience may vary.

Ethan Frome. Pick that sucker up, and read it, if you can.

cogell on
  • Options
    mad4drpeppermad4drpepper Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The book of Numbers.... I don't care who you are, that always works.

mad4drpepper on
    Making the world taste better one can at a time. :winky:
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The book of Numbers.... I don't care who you are, that always works.

Those few books after Genesis are just dull as fuck.

cogell on
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Regarding War and Peace and Anna Karenina.

Any Russian lit book will put you to sleep. Add any Nobokov book to the list and you have a guaranteed snoozefest.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ETHAN FROME.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    matisyahumatisyahu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston is an essential piece of African-American literature and it is also boring as hell. Something like House of Mirth by Edith Wharton might do the trick, too.

And don't listen to bobmyknob re: Nabokov. If you fall asleep during Lolita you probably shouldn't be allowed to read books. The mere suggestion that he is boring is so outrageous, my beret fell off my head and into my tea.

matisyahu on
    i dont even like matisyahu and i dont know why i picked this username
  • Options
    Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    ^I agree strongly. Seriously, Lolita was one of the best books I've ever read.

Chop Logic on
  • Options
    bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    matisyahu wrote: »
    And don't listen to bobmyknob re: Nabokov. If you fall asleep during Lolita you probably shouldn't be allowed to read books. The mere suggestion that he is boring is so outrageous, my beret fell off my head and into my tea.

OK, I misremembered my Russian authors. My bad, I meant Gogol - don't ask how I got those two confused.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ulysses by James Joyce.

It makes my brain melt.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    SliverSliver Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anything by James Michener.

Sliver on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Portrait of the artist was like chloroform in high school.

I think he's just looking for a good nights sleep, not a 6 month coma.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not a book but knock yourself out! Really, you're a god among men if you can stay awake after reading 3 of those straight.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My literary-minded girlfriend recommended Kurt Vonnegut, so I thought I'd throw that in here. Although, she also claims to have had some pretty fucked-up dreams after reading some of his stuff, so reader beware.
    matisyahu wrote: »
    The mere suggestion that he is boring is so outrageous, my beret fell off my head and into my tea.
    Well played, sir, well played. :lol:

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Excellent suggestions! I have Anna Karenina at home, so I think I'll start with that. I've read Kurt Vonnegut before, but his stories were actually pretty funny to me, so I think they'd keep me up. Also read Kafka already, and yah Metamorphosis put me to sleep at least once I'm pretty sure.

Other than that, I'm gonna go to the library tomorrow and pick up a shitload of these suggestions. Thanks for reminding me about Ulysses; I had originally planned to go get that one, but I'd forgotten.

Meister on
  • Options
    Aurora BorealisAurora Borealis runs and runs and runs away BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh, Gogol. Here's a tip- Don't read The Overcoat if you're at all depressed. That damn story made me want to jump off a freaking bridge.
    Russians, russians-
    Fathers and Sons by Turgenev- that's put me to sleep a few times. Anything by Dostoyevesky's good. The Brothers Karamozov in particular, has some nice looooonnnngggg super dense chapters.

Aurora Borealis on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh, Gogol. Here's a tip- Don't read The Overcoat if you're at all depressed. That damn story made me want to jump off a freaking bridge.
    Russians, russians-
    Fathers and Sons by Turgenev- that's put me to sleep a few times. Anything by Dostoyevesky's good. The Brothers Karamozov in particular, has some nice looooonnnngggg super dense chapters.

Nah, go ahead and read it if you're depressed. Just follow it up with Ethan Frome. It'll make you rethink any thoughts on suicide you'll ever have, while putting you to sleep.

cogell on
  • Options
    MandaManda Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one with James Joyce frustration.

Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier. I've made it through once. The last time I tried reading it I couldn't get past page 20. Soooooo sloooooow ...

Manda on
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Paradise Lost by John Milton.

I put myself to sleep reading it so many times. The language is so thick and requires so much concentration that you read a page, lose focus, and then read the words of the next page and a half while not taking in any of the meaning, or alternatively, fall asleep.

And honestly, its amazingly well written.

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If my experiences from high school are accurate, "Great Expectations" should do the trick. Literary Nyquil.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    read a book of sting's lyrics

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm surprised I haven't seen Moby Dick mentioned yet. That's my suggestion.

It's every bit as amazing as its reputation suggests, but it's easy to fall asleep to.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    coldbird.coldbird. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    phenomenology of spirit

coldbird. on
  • Options
    AnansiAnansi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Atlas shrugged

Anansi on
  • Options
    LoafgoatLoafgoat Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Anansi wrote: »
    Atlas shrugged

I am actueally useing this to fall asleep right now. Works pretty well.

Loafgoat on
  • Options
    NickMNickM Registered User new member
    If you still have this problem, I recommend Shakespeare quotes -- especially from a Midsummer Night's Dream. That always puts me to sleep!

This discussion has been closed.