Options

Frank Miller's "300" - This is Sparta!!!!!

• Options
    OtistheGuardOtistheGuard Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Holy Crap. I have the hugest hard-on for everything Spartan.

YES

OtistheGuard on
    SC2: Cleomenes.943
    XBL: Aspis 9
    Lotro (Landroval): Cleomenes [Champion], Ilithano [Captain]
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

YES

What about John Spartan ?
    demol.jpg

or maybe Val kilmer *IN* Spartan?
    01.jpg

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    urbman wrote:
    I remember being told by a teacher that the reasons the spartans fought so well at that battle was because the night before they stripped down and rubbed oil all over each other so when the battle started it, when a persian swong at a spartan the other spartans responded like their lover was being attacked.

Thats just what my high school teacher said.

I am not sure thats the case. Spartans were all about teh butt secks, but I am not sure that it influenced heavily into their battle tactics, as dying in battle was one of the highest achievements of a warrior. Also, getting overprotective of someone in battle can make a mess of things, especially when using such rigid formations as used in ancient Greece.
    Your teacher might have been thinking of that company of soldiers made completely of lovers, that was pretty notorious for their battle prowress whose name I forget, but I think they were Greek, not Spartan.

muninn on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    muninn wrote:
    urbman wrote:
    I remember being told by a teacher that the reasons the spartans fought so well at that battle was because the night before they stripped down and rubbed oil all over each other so when the battle started it, when a persian swong at a spartan the other spartans responded like their lover was being attacked.

I am not sure thats the case. Spartans were all about teh butt secks, but I am not sure that it influenced heavily into their battle tactics, as dying in battle was one of the highest achievements of a warrior. Also, getting overprotective of someone in battle can make a mess of things, especially when using such rigid formations as used in ancient Greece.
    Your teacher might have been thinking of that company of soldiers made completely of lovers, that was pretty notorious for their battle prowress whose name I forget, but I think they were Greek, not Spartan.
    I want to say the Sacred Band of Thebes, but I'm not really sure.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    muninn wrote:
    urbman wrote:

The Sacred band of Thebes, probably: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_Band_of_Thebes

Edit: Too slow

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Were Spartans really homosexual or are you guys wandering away from SE++?

Because that would have no difference on the battle. Spartans were trained from birth to fight and fight well. There is no modern day equivalent, these guys ate, slept and drank warfare. Plus their spears were longer than the greek spears.

That's why they won, not teh butt secks.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Spartan women were said to wear fake beards on their wedding nights to make the men more comfortable.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

Because that would have no difference on the battle. Spartans were trained from birth to fight and fight well. There is no modern day equivalent, these guys ate, slept and drank warfare. Plus their spears were longer than the greek spears.

but they did love the buttsex as did the ancient Greeks

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    OtistheGuardOtistheGuard Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    RoundBoy wrote:

YES

What about John Spartan ?
    demol.jpg

or maybe Val kilmer *IN* Spartan?
    01.jpg

Yes on John Spartan.

Never saw Val Kilmer in Spartan, but probably hard-on worthy.

OtistheGuard on
    SC2: Cleomenes.943
    XBL: Aspis 9
    Lotro (Landroval): Cleomenes [Champion], Ilithano [Captain]
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    val kilmer achieves ascendancy to the pantheon of the penultimate badasses in that movie.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    val kilmer achieves ascendancy to the pantheon of the penultimate badasses in that movie.
    That movie was complete shit.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    That movie was complete shit.
    that's a terrible lie.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It has Kristen Bell, which pretty much makes it a lie.

For fun; count how many times he says "where is the girl" in that movie.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Cherrn wrote:
    It has Kristen Bell, which pretty much makes it a lie.

For fun; count how many times he says "where is the girl" in that movie.

that's my favorite bit of the movie.

"where's the girl?"

"where's the girl?"

"where's the girl?"

*punches a guy out of a chair*

"where's the girl?"

"where's the girl?"

*breaks a guy's arm*

"where's the girl?"

"get out your knife, cut out his eye."

"where's the girl?"

"where's the girl?"

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Sounds like I may have to swing by Roger's Video on the way home from work.

Edit; and yes, 300 is looking pretty badass. Currently at work, so I probably shouldn't grab the trailer, but what I've seen here and there has me hopeful.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Val Kilmer was better in The Saint.

Also, don't watch The Karate Kid right before you watch that movie. It's weird.

Doc on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Val Kilmer was aweseomest in Tombstone.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Val Kilmer was aweseomest in Tombstone.

So was Sam Elliot.
    *swoon*

Doc on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Doc wrote:
    Val Kilmer was better in The Saint.

Also, don't watch The Karate Kid right before you watch that movie. It's weird.

I like several of Kilmer's films, but strangely, hated The Saint.

I don't recall what exactly what it was, but I just couldn't get into it.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    'Spartan' was a kick ass movie...

Val Kilmer was kick ass IN the movie ...

I am willing to say that it was on par with his role in "Real Genius"

In fact.. i just bought Spartan on DVD .. for 7 dollars ... THERE IS NO DEBATE

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    New theatrical trailer...

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/300.html

xraydog on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wow.

I'm going to enjoy this movie for all the wrong reasons.

Kind of like Troy. :winky: z

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY NOT WEARING ARMOUR.

That was one of the main advantages the Spartans had, they were well trained and well equiped. Equiped with breastplates. Why the fuck would you fight bear chested!? Arg.

BUT: The Persian Immortals look badass, and I've always had a thing for those guys anyway.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    [quote=[Tycho?]]WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY NOT WEARING ARMOUR.

That was one of the main advantages the Spartans had, they were well trained and well equiped. Equiped with breastplates. Why the fuck would you fight bear chested!? Arg.
    [/quote]Because it is cool. I'm trying to figure out why they have to shoe horn some stuff about freedom in.

Couscous on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm totally stoked for this movie.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    JinniganJinnigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

BUT: The Persian Immortals look badass, and I've always had a thing for those guys anyway.[/quote]
    Because that's how it is in the comic book?

I mean, if you're going to complain about that, you might as well complain about how a bunch of spartans are seen doing some solo kung-foolery, or complain about how their spears are only about 6 feet long when they should be, like, 12.

Or complain about Xerxes's terribly inaccurate character design, or how that is completely not at all similar to what Persian Immortals look like.

Or, you could enjoy a movie that is based off a comic book.

Jinnigan on
    whatifihadnofriendsshortenedsiggy2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The comic also mentions how the Persian's flee before the Greek's final charge. Somehow I doubt that's what happened.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You know guys. I don't really like SE++. I find the whole place more than a little unsettling.

But I am with them on this one.
    If one person comes in here and ruins this thread with their "historical inaccuracies" or whatever, I'm going to kick them down a well after screaming a powerful one-liner.

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Olivaw wrote:
    You know guys. I don't really like SE++. I find the whole place more than a little unsettling.

But I am with them on this one.
    If one person comes in here and ruins this thread with their "historical inaccuracies" or whatever, I'm going to kick them down a well after screaming a powerful one-liner.

Too bad that isn't in reference to anything that actually happened.

Zing!

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    titmouse wrote:

Because it is cool. I'm trying to figure out why they have to shoe horn some stuff about freedom in.[/quote]

They had breastplates? I always thought they fought nearly-naked. Even before I read the comic book.

Can we get a confirmation on this?

At any rate a 10-year-old Spartan from the time of Leonidas could probably kill your average grown man in hand-to-hand combat so the point is really moot. No matter what historical account you go by the Spartans were undeniably a force of pure hell in a melee situation and the Battle of Thermopile was as hard-core as it got.
    It had more to do with tactics and using your environment and resources wisely than being 300 one-man-armies but that wouldn't have made for as good a movie.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    titmouse wrote:

Because it is cool. I'm trying to figure out why they have to shoe horn some stuff about freedom in.

They had breastplates? I always thought they fought nearly-naked. Even before I read the comic book.

Can we get a confirmation on this?[/quote]

Hoplites were heavily armed, in every sense of the word. That was the whole fucking point of the Phalanx.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    titmouse wrote:

Because it is cool. I'm trying to figure out why they have to shoe horn some stuff about freedom in.

Hoplites were heavily armed, in every sense of the word. That was the whole fucking point of the Phalanx.[/quote]

They were heavily armed and could move fast and long in hoplite armor.
    At the time, it was an olympic event. Supposedly while the battle of Marathon was going on the Spartans ran 220k in three days to give the Atheanians assistance.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fellhand wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    titmouse wrote:

Hoplites were heavily armed, in every sense of the word. That was the whole fucking point of the Phalanx.

At the time, it was an olympic event. Supposedly while the battle of Marathon was going on the Spartans ran 220k in three days to give the Atheanians assistance.[/quote]

Which is funny, because the battle was over when they got there.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Fellhand wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    titmouse wrote:

At the time, it was an olympic event. Supposedly while the battle of Marathon was going on the Spartans ran 220k in three days to give the Atheanians assistance.

Which is funny, because the battle was over when they got there.[/quote]
    Battle would have ended about 15 minutes after they arrived otherwise.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So the various monster-like things (huge ogre thing with blades for arms, and I'm sure there were zombies at some point) in the comic as wierd things in the Persian army, or is it just really overemphasising all the slightly fantastic elements from dreams and prophecies in the trailer?

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tastyfish wrote:
    So the various monster-like things (huge ogre thing with blades for arms, and I'm sure there were zombies at some point) in the comic as wierd things in the Persian army, or is it just really overemphasising all the slightly fantastic elements from dreams and prophecies in the trailer?
    The only real monster in the comic that I remember was the knotty, deformed guy who wanted to be a Spartan. Everything else is just an exaggeration of the Persian empire. I'm sure the movie will have trumped-up enemies for them to fight in ever-increasingly-cool ways.

Anyone who hasn't read '300' should look into it, then you'll have an idea as to what this flick is going for. I personally don't think the constant screaming represents it well, as most of those lines are spoken in what looks to be a low, harsh tone rather than "ARRGGGGG!"

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

BUT: The Persian Immortals look badass, and I've always had a thing for those guys anyway.[/quote]

Well sir, if they were wearing armor, we couldn't possibly see their abdominals. Your logic is clearly eating itself.

[spoiler:eec54a8103]ABDOMINALS![/spoiler:eec54a8103]

Ant000 on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

I think the closest modern-day equivalent would be the French Foreign Legion. That whole outfit is just insane.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Rohan wrote:

I think the closest modern-day equivalent would be the French Foreign Legion. That whole outfit is just insane.
    Spartan society worked like prison. You aren't gay unless you're on the bottom. From what I hear they took slaves of less-masculine societies (males) and would sodomize them for fun, as they considered women to be somewhat inferior to men.
    This is probably just some bullshit my Spartan Boss is spouting though. I think he's flirting with me.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Rohan wrote:

*surrender joke*

VishNub on