As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paintings that I would like critiqued, Meh

LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Artist's Corner
Woahhh I changed the title, wooooooo heres a painting

IMG_0016.jpg

wooooo critque me please

IMG_0018.jpg

Might as well post some stuff since I got myself in this situation anyways, <insert hateful word> you tycho and your Strange Attractor game that you had to post about and make me go to these forums

splat
Loomdun on

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Do you want critiques on these?

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Loomdun wrote: »
    DOES ANYONE LIKE BANANAS AND PUMPKINS?!

You're from 4chan, aren't you.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Do you want critiques on these?

I wouldn't mind but I made these a year ago, although I can see most of the mistakes in them myself already, it was just some stuff I did real fast with the Pen tool in photoshop, like the banana has a stiff back near the mouth, the pumpkins mouth is strangely bent, ect ect

Edit: Which was like... my first year of doing serious art /wrist, I would show my crap, but its crap, although I suppose I can show some of my recent works I just NEED to get mah camera set up I'M NOT READY YET NOOOOOOO

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well, the more "crap" you put up, the better critique you can get from us.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Well, the more "crap" you put up, the better critique you can get from us.

Wellll if I wanted critique I would probably ask for it,I'll probably make a new topic in a few minutes and post actual stuff and ask about it I've always been curious as to what the vicious world of the interwebz has to say about it, just gotta figure out how to rotate :<

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Word to the wise: keep all your stuff you think is thread worthy in this thread- Doodles should go in the doodle thread. No need creating another thread for your stuff, this one will do just fine.

You can change the topic to let us know when you update by editing it in your first post.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Use this thread. No need to make a new one.

Also, you should expect every piece you post here to be critiqued. That's why people post here, not for asspats or anything else.

Mangoes on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well then i'm a moron, alright let me figure out how to open up these pictures them from my camera and i'll give 2 paintings that you may viciously rip me apart for creating real fast then

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I actually like the first one quite a lot. The shapeless shapes that appear in the sky and the water are really interesting to look at. The use of color is pretty well done and balanced as well. However, the mountains (hills?) bug me quite a bit... the white on the middle doesn't seem to belong to a mountain/hill. The white itself works well with the rest of the picture, but it doesn't quite work in relation to what it's painted on (imo)

The second one is... well... blurry and a little dull. There isn't that contrast of color that lets it pop like your first one.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    oh thank you, Personally I love the color blue, I basically used Blue white and Black to make the entire thing, then I added some brown to the stones, I was going for a glistening look on the mountain with small packs of visible snow, but personally its just cause I like white on black

And meh do you mean blurry as in I failed to take a proper picture of it?

Edit: I suppose I could take the Moonlight in the forest and add it a slight ray going diagonally throughout it in order to get cut off view, The contrast from the moonlight and the night time shades should allow it to pop up enough if I plan it, not sure if I WANT to do it though I would show more stuff but I dont think nude drawings are allowed in these forums

I do have another painting but its incomplete. These are all my first ever paintings, (I learn REALLY fast) but I cant paint much right now because I have 3 college art classes which don't involve painting, Human anatomy, Freehanding and 2-d design (the 2 basics and 1 recommended for majoring class due to pre-requisite) I cant take a painting class until I get those 2 done meh.

BUT ONCE I DO which will be 16 weeks i'll probably come here and be like "hay can you look at my stuffz" and hopefully i'll get better at using my camera then

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    oh thank you, Personally I love the color blue, I basically used Blue white and Black to make the entire thing, then I added some brown to the stones, I was going for a glistening look on the mountain with small packs of visible snow, but personally its just cause I like white on black

And I'd certainly agree- 1/2 my clothes have blue on them somewhere lol. I think that, because the mountains are so rounded they don't quite look like mountians.

And meh do you mean blurry as in I failed to take a proper picture of it?

I'm not sure, but I'm leaning towards the photo itself is blurry with a slight dash of a painting with little contrast.

Edit: I suppose I could take the Moonlight in the forest and add it a slight ray going diagonally throughout it in order to get cut off view, The contrast from the moonlight and the night time shades should allow it to pop up enough if I plan it, not sure if I WANT to do it though I would show more stuff but I dont think nude drawings are allowed in these forums

I think that moonlight could add a lot to it, but you should probably get a second opinion before you take mine. I do my best, but i'm proven wrong often enough.

Also, nude drawings are allowed, just make sure the thread title includes NSFW (not suitible for work) if you decide to post them.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    IMG_0019.jpg

Here is a sneakpeek of what will be done though, like I said I probably wont work on it until a few weeks though

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    Maybe you could try tipping the flames with a light, reddish purple.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Woahhh I changed the title, wooooooo heres a painting

IMG_0016.jpg

Am I the only one that sees a dolphin in the top left?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    MKR wrote: »

Oh good someone finally caught on, Hint hint those 2 paintings also contain a dog, and a lizard

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Actually, that was the first thing that I saw when I looked at the picture- it took me a second to realize that it wasn't underwater.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Nappuccino wrote: »

Actually, that was the first thing that I saw when I looked at the picture- it took me a second to realize that it wasn't underwater.

Yep I saw that straight away and then realised it wasn't a dolphin at all.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh wait, it isn't a double post, eh I stand with the rest of what I said, But when I first reposted it with my art, I was curious as to the opinions of those who I would show my artwork to, I know this may sound strange but I wasn't hoping to receive positive comments, I dont know where I'm going with what I can do and I wish to continue exceeding even though I dont know where i'm going with it, I feel as to what I can do right now is very small and insignificant there are still lots of people who excel far more then me. So really perhaps was hoping if people would look more and be more harsh with me please. To anyone who i've shown let it be teacher professor or family, they have only been positive. which isn't what was what should be right?

People should be trying to help with less compliments and more judgement. To say whether something is nice is fine, and to throw in a compliment is fine as well. But theres to much of that IRL and I dont want to think that I am capable because I know I am not, so if night dragon could kindly come back and tell me that its crap I would very much appreciate it

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Okay, you suck! Feel better?

I have a hard time critiquing traditional art because I'm a total lost cause when using it myself.
    However, I think you could stand to work on your values, especially with your landscapes. Everything has the same contrast/colours from foreground to back ground. Your contrast needs to die off as the painting aproaches the horizon (depending on the amount of particles in the air/time of day), and eventually dissapearing into the sky.

It's actually a common thing I see with traditional artists, so I'm assuming that it's a prick of a thing to try and portray with paint.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I have never thought of that and I will experiment with it next time I do a painting thanks

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Maybe bring out the colours a little more with some higher contrasts to draw the viewer in. At the moment, (could be the photo doing this) the colours look a little dull and washed out.

IMG_0019.jpg

In this one, high contrasts in the flames would work well with the dark background.

I could be wrong as i dont really understand how colour works, but yeah, thats about all i find wrong with your work.
    BTW did i mention these are freakin awesome?

*BTW i suck at painting*

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I did work on the painting more, I'll bring a less blurry image of it in a few minutes along to update what it looks like

IMG_0028.jpg

I have never taken photos before so its new to me I've found that all my pictures looked like this because I took them while standing, which makes everything blurry because the pressure on hitting the button causes the camera to slightly move.

anywho i'll re-take my other two sooner or later. this is what that painting looks like unblurred and updated

Loomdun on
    splat