As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Games Live @ Chicago Theatre

ArminasArminas Student of LifeSF, CARegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
vglhk4.png

What
It's Video Games Live! They play classic and new game music from many of your favorites! The list includes Mario, Zelda, Halo, Medal of Honor, Earthworm Jim, Tron, BioShock and so much more! It's not like I've taken great pain to listen to every piece of music from all of the games I've played in the last few years, but there's definitely a lot of titles up there that I'm interested in hearing performed by a symphony!

Shamelessly stolen from their info page.
Video Games Live™ is an immersive concert event featuring music from the most popular video games of all time. Top orchestras & choirs perform along with exclusive video footage and music arrangements, synchronized lighting, solo performers, electronic percussionists, live action and unique interactive segments to create an explosive entertainment experience!

This is a concert event put on by the video game industry to help encourage and support the culture and art that video games have become. Video Games Live™ bridges a gap for entertainment by exposing new generations of music lovers and fans to the symphonic orchestral experience while also providing a completely new and unique experience for families and/or non-gamers. The show is heralded and enjoyed by the entire family. It's the power & emotion of a symphony orchestra mixed with the excitement and energy of a rock concert and the technology and interactivity of a video game all completely synchronized to amazing cutting edge video screen visuals, state-of-the-art lighting and special on-stage interactive segments with the audience.

If you or someone you know is into video games you won't want to miss this highly acclaimed one-of-a-kind concert experience. Or maybe you are looking for something cultural and exciting that the whole family will enjoy? Video Games Live™ is not just a concert, but a celebration of the entire video game industry that people of all ages will adore.

Oh, and the official (though not complete) list of what games will be performed there:
Mario™
Zelda®
Halo®
Final Fantasy®
Warcraft®
StarCraft® II
Sonic™
Metal Gear Solid®
Kingdom Hearts
Chrono Cross™
Myst®
Tron
Castlevania®
Metroid®
Medal of Honor™
God of War™
BioShock™
Civilization IV
Tomb Raider®
Beyond Good & Evil™
Advent Rising
EverQuest® II
Monkey Island
Earthworm Jim
Pac-Man
Conan
Guitar Hero™
Headhunter
Splinter Cell®
Ghost Recon™
Rainbow Six®
Jade Empire
Contra
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix™

Classic Arcade Medley featuring over 20+ games from Pong® to Donkey Kong® including such classics as Dragon's Lair, Tetris, Frogger, Ghosts 'n Goblins, Gauntlet, Space Invaders, Outrun and MANY MORE!

Honestly, I'm not advertising for VGL. What I'm really looking for is to play organizer of some kind of Penny-Arcade community event in which we just happen to go to VGL later that evening. I'd love to meet up earlier in the day (it's a Saturday) to just chill, maybe play somewhere in the city and grab a bite to eat. More details below!

When
8pm on November 15, 2008
Though they suggest coming early to play with the other attendees and number of interactive demos, costume contest and prize give-a-ways! As well as other fun activites. How early you can come? Well that's to be decided!

Where
Legendary Chicago Theatre
175 N State St, Chicago, IL 60601
(312) 462-6300
Easily accessible from the CTA's State/Lake stop.

Pricing
Anywhere from $34.50 to as much as $72.00 for a seat.
See the ticket pricing for the show on November 15 in Chicago, IL

Why
It's a chance to go to a mini video game themed event, listen to some music, and hang out with people that also love video games. Plus I'll be there and I'm hoping that other near-Chicago Penny-Arcade peopel will show up. Otherwise I might very well go with another friend in the area or BY MYSELF. (You wouldn't make me do that, would yoU? :( )

It could be super awkward or you could come out with your new best friend. (And worst case scenario in which you hate us and tore up your ticket, you can leave to explore the rest of Chicago which is a fairly large city that I've barely scratched the surface of) I'm not limiting it to only people in the Chicago area, but the show is traveling quite a bit and I wouldn't want to make anyone to fly all the way out here for a show that might very well fly to them eventually. I'm also 21 and was thinking of going to a bar or something in the area either before or after the event. But I'd be okay on skipping out on that.

Who
Arminas (has tickets)
Dragkonias (interested)
MichaelLC (interested)
Bedigunz (interested)

PM me or post in the thread whether you'd like to go. Or maybe this thread can be taken over and instead people will meet at another VGL event. Hopefully something comes out of this instead of me killing time until my next meeting at work. This will be my first VGL, so I have high hopes for it. If it sucks, someone should warn me now so I don't have to waste money. I also tried searching for a VGL thread, didn't find one, if there is one, oh god, i'm so sorry D:

Arminas on

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The main menu theme from Civilization IV is glorious. I've seen the youtube of them performing it, I'd love to see it live.

edti: just noticed the bottom of the OP and should add that I don't want to go - or rather, I can't go, since I'm not anywhere near Chicago.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I desperately want to go to this. Desperately desperately. Although I'm in a conundrum.

I don't really have the extra money to spend on this due to paying for and saving money for college, however, I'm taking a Music Appreciation course this semester and one of the things we have to do is go to a concert and report on it...

I'll keep you posted. :rotate:

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I am so pissed I didn't go to see this at Comic-Con.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I am so pissed I didn't go to see this at Comic-Con.

Well this time it's only 12 hours away according to google maps!

Arminas on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I found out late that they swung through Toronto a while back. Work has their page blocked, but does it say anything about a repeat visit in the next year?

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I saw it in Winnipeg earlier in the summer, and it is fucking fantastic. There is nothing better than hearing the Halo themes played live blasting you with awesomeness. Then seeing the crowd erupt when it is over.

The faces of the people playing the music were priceless as well. I don't think they are use to that kind of reaction from a crowd.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    I found out late that they swung through Toronto a while back. Work has their page blocked, but does it say anything about a repeat visit in the next year?

There's no mention of another Toronto show this year. I'm sure they'll go back soon though.

Arminas on
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I went and saw this at the Kennedy Center in DC a while back and it was a fantastic experience. Anyone who can get there I strongly urge you to make the trip, well worth it.

Plus they often have awesome guests, at the one I went to I got to meet Sid Meier and CliffyB, as well as a bunch of other people (including Christopher Tin, who is the composer of the menu music for Civ4 which was incredibly awesome to hear performed live).

Find out who's gonna be there and bring games along to get signed, and also I recommend picking up a program and having everyone sign that as well. Makes for a great souvenir.

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dear Sir or Madam,

I am interested in your
    [ ] Ideas
    [X] Plan

and wish to subscribe to your
    [ ] Newsletter
    [ ] Podcast
    [ ] Book club
    [X] Forum

That's the week after my birthday. Sounds like something I could do.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I went to the one in Orlando and had a fantastic time. If you're in the area, definitely try to make it out to see the show.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well...I live in Chicago so I may just have to check this out. Probably start inquiring about tickets in October.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I went and saw this at the Kennedy Center in DC a while back and it was a fantastic experience. Anyone who can get there I strongly urge you to make the trip, well worth it.

Plus they often have awesome guests, at the one I went to I got to meet Sid Meier and CliffyB, as well as a bunch of other people (including Christopher Tin, who is the composer of the menu music for Civ4 which was incredibly awesome to hear performed live).

Find out who's gonna be there and bring games along to get signed, and also I recommend picking up a program and having everyone sign that as well. Makes for a great souvenir.

I wish I had bought more boxed games. :( Curse you Steam!

And how do I go about finding out specific persons of interest who might be attending?

Arminas on
  • Options
    PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arminas wrote: »

And how do I go about finding out specific persons of interest who might be attending?

Closer to when the show will happen they will usually post a list on their site, once they have it all finalized.

PuddingSenator on
  • Options
    ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arminas wrote: »

Closer to when the show will happen they will usually post a list on their site, once they have it all finalized.

I think Yuzo Koshiro was at one of them in America before. If I ever meet him I have to give him a great big hug for the Streets of Rage 2 and Actraiser soundtracks. How do the japanese react to hugging?

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    ChrisDude wrote: »
    I think Yuzo Koshiro was at one of them in America before. If I ever meet him I have to give him a great big hug for the Streets of Rage 2 and Actraiser soundtracks. How do the japanese react to hugging?

I don't believe it's a social norm and is typically reserved for those you are intimate with. I'm all for free hugs, but I usually like to know someone pretty well before it. But uh, you know, if you're an admirer, you could always take it a step further. :winky: I'm not going to stop you.

Arminas on
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm definitely interested but I take my CPA 5 days later. I guess as it gets closer, I'll see how far along I am with my studying.

But yes, put me down for interested

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, I'm going to be in Chicago that weekend, but am already busy with other plans. :(

mrflippy on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I can't make it to this one, but they're coming to a somewhat-big city near me called Kalamazoo, MI on March 20th, 2009. You can jump on I-94 and be there from Chicago in about two hours, I've heard. Might be a good solution if you can't make this one.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My wife and I already have tickets for the show in Burlington, Vermont in January. I know there are a few other Vermonters on the forum, so send me a PM if you're going as well. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Not sure if anyone is still interested in this, but a couple of coworkers/friends have picked up tickets and well, we're going. I'd planned on doing something prior to the show like grabbing dinner and then seeing the pre-show events. So if anyone is still interested, I'd be happy to meet up! Just PM me.

Arminas on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You're in for a good time. I went last year and it was awesome.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I went to the New York show, and had a blast. A random guy was picked to play Space Invaders, and afterwards we found out that he was with the president of Capcom. He was pretty much two rows away from me. That was awesome. And although some people don't have a high opinion of him, I thought Tommy Tallarico was a good host. He played along with the rock version of Halo, and was a overall a pretty funny guy. For one song, he told people to pull out their handhelds to wave like lighters. He then goes,

"Hold on a second. The people with PSPs are still warming up."

He was really into it, and got the crowd pumped.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    These guys played the Jubilee Auditorium here in Edmonton, and I'm sure it's the most raucous cheering the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra has ever received. My friends and I went all out. Dressed up in some decent clothes (suits, dresses, some combination there of) and had a wonderful time.

Recommended.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh god, I don't even know what the dress code was. I was thinking of going in my TF2 shirt, with a PA TF2 button and bring my DS. But now, maybe I should, I don't know, wear a collared shirt, a sports coat and nice slacks and shoes. Or I guess I could pull out my suit?

Arminas on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know if a suit is necessary, but I went in a nice collared shirt and slacks. For me, I figured if I was going to see a show in New York City, I might as well look decent.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I am so there. I am so fucking there.

I'm in living at UIC right now so I have absolutely no excuse not to go. I'm going to call all of my friends, they are all going to freaking flip out. Sign me up.

What is the likliness that big name developers will be at the concert? Their videos show people like Hideo Kojima signing autographs, is it likely that he'd be at this Chicago show?

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm still weirded out that their tour schedule doesn't say who's playing for the Chicago show. :(

There's supposed to be a pre-event stuff going on, but again, I don't know where official information on this can be located.

Arminas on