As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want another keyboard. Like, two.

SonarSonar Registered User regular
So I've been thinking that it would be nice to have a second keyboard set above my first. I use a triple screen set up and it forces a lot of desk real estate. So I figured, hey. What if I had a second keyboard that was set to hot keys. Like say, set so if I hit "I" on the second it would trigger "CTRL-I". More useful for larger macros but you get the idea. Is this possible? Are there keyboards that would be really well suited for this? (I know about the keyboard wit the pictures in keys, that would be the most useful, but I'm not sure I want to spend that $$$, particularly if I can't keep my origional keyboard set to normal at all times.

What do you think?

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
steam_sig.png
caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
Sonar on

• Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The Razer keyboards let you remap the entire keyboard, but I don't know that they have *macros* for each individual key.

I was about to suggest the G-15, but again, don't know that you can macro *every* key.

There are some programs out there like Keyboard Remapper that can do it in software. That may be your best bet for a cheap solution.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are there any "two keyboard solutions" though? It would have to be some kind of software, because every time I've ever had two keyboards set up it treats either one as the primary keyboard. There isn't a default way for Windows to tell the two inputs apart. Pressing "A" on the first will give the same results as pressing "A" on the second.

I was checking out some things such as the Multi-Point X-server for Ubuntu but that's pretty far off base from what you were probably going for.

zanetheinsane on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are you using Windows, OSX, or UNIX?

If you are using some variant of UNIX (Linux/FreeBSD/OpenBSD/Solaris) you can quite easily edit your xorg.conf file to allow the use of multiple keyboards.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That is freaking cool

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    SonarSonar Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah this is Vista here. Hrm.

Sonar on
    I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
    steam_sig.png
    caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
  • Options
    IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kind of de-values the mouse really.
    Poor mouse, why do they hate you...

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs