As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gears of War fanart by Gabe!

hawkpreyhawkprey Registered User new member
edited October 2006 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys

My name is James Hawkins. I am the concept guy on Gears of War, and I LOVE the pic of Marcus Fenix Gabe drew up. A bunch of guys here at Epic want to do shirts of that design. Gabe can you email me? Maybe we can work something out!

Regardless, Great to join the Penny Arcade forums.

See you all around the water cooler.

James

link to some of my recent work

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=67477

hawkprey on

• Options
    EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I want to see the pic.

:|

Ehmavisca on
  • Options
    darkdemondarkdemon Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Shall I?

"Gabe hardly visits these forums, I think you're better off emailing the man directly."

How did I do?

darkdemon on
    heyquitit.PNG
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    I want to see the pic.

:|

Check out the current Newspost on the PA main page.

And yes, Gabe and Tycho don't actually hang out on their own forums. E-mail is the best way to reach them.

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Hey Thanks guys

I am a newbie........I found his contact info

hawkprey on
  • Options
    BadAssMonkeeBadAssMonkee Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    probably heard this a thousand times but your artwork is awesome..

BadAssMonkee on
    signature.jpg
  • Options
    M2tMM2tM Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Glad to have you join the forums. I know you were here primarily for Gabe, but just because he doesn't post here doesn't mean you have to go ;)

Drop in sometime and post some art, I know you do some really wicked cool stuff. I've seen some of the Gears of War concept pieces and they are all amazing...

M2tM on
    "We can be richer than industry as long as we know that there are things that we don't really need." -Willy Mason
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yep, some more celebrities to kick our newb butts :P

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Come on guys, Darren has been filling the one and only PAAC commercial artist slot forever now. All the newbies that seem to stroll along get muscled out in no time.

bombardier on
  • Options
    galengalen Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hawk: Just like to say you have some top stuff there. A lot of it looks like you painted details over 3D renders, am I accurate in that assumption?

galen on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Fantastic stuff man.

Godfather on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yes he paints over 3d renders. That doesn't reduce an ounce of his credibility and talent, though.

Rye on
  • Options
    galengalen Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Not saying it does, I was only curious.

galen on
  • Options
    Wilhelm_IIIWilhelm_III Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hawkprey, you are awsome! I was (and still am) in love with the art for Gears of War and UT2007, and it turns out you did them both! You are seriously ten tonnes of amazing, and it would be an honer to no end if you kept posting here, even if each post is not alwas accomponied with art. It would just be great to get a chance to talk to someone with your amazing skill. I can of course understand if you don't, I mean you do concept art for big ass really good looking games.

Wilhelm_III on
  • Options
    grosolangrosolan Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Yeh but too bad yer work is taking all your time I would kill to see some of your freelance art again sincerly a groupy

grosolan on
    Esti ieftin....
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't even want to imagine the amount of time you put in to master your craft. I tried 3D art once and just quit like the quitter I am. All the best, not that you need it.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Man James, I'd sell my left kidney just to have a conversation with you. I'd love to find out what a day in the life of a concept artist is, what are the perks/annoyances of the job, and so forth.

It would be great to get a straight answer from someone who knows the business, rather than the same "if you try hard enough and never give up, you'll make it in this field" cock and bull.

Godfather on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Godfather wrote:
    Man James, I'd sell my left kidney just to have a conversation with you. I'd love to find out what a day in the life of a concept artist is, what are the perks/annoyances of the job, and so forth.

It would be great to get a straight answer from someone who knows the business, rather than the same "if you try hard enough and never give up, you'll make it in this field" cock and bull.

He wakes up, makes some coffee, and then stands on a pedestal while no-talent shitheads like you line up to blow him.

When the coffee maker's done his supermodel girlfriend brings him a mug and he kicks you off his dick to knock the rest of the lineup of groupies over like a bunch of sycophantic dominos and he drives off in his ferrari.

See? You didn't even need to sell a kidney for that.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Godfather wrote:

He wakes up, makes some coffee, and then stands on a pedestal while no-talent shitheads like you line up to blow him.

When the coffee maker's done his supermodel girlfriend brings him a mug and he kicks you off his dick to knock the rest of the lineup of groupies over like a bunch of sycophantic dominos and he drives off in his ferrari.

See? You didn't even need to sell a kidney for that.

You forgot to add the part where he masturbates two handed.

Rye on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    AHAHAH

You guys crack me up. Thanks for the compliments!

I have been doing concept art for about 6 years and still feel like a newbie everyday. Its really neat to hear people are diggin on my stuff.

Ya I do model alot of my stuff in 3d now and then do a paintover. Saves time with the orthos and crap. I hate drawing stuff 4 times over to catch every angle.

Hopefully I will have more stuff to show when the games are released.

Catch you around the net!

hawkprey on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Honesly, Im surprised you came back to check this thread.

I don't mean that in a bad way...

wakkawa on
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    It's so good it hurts me... in the pants.

You are a genuine artist. Keep up the good work. :D

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    JAmp5 on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Godfather on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Your work pretty much blows my mind, and then every cell in my body.

Keep up the Awesome.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Gabe's pic:
    gearspu7.th.jpg

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    And James' pick and u cannot say that one is cooler than the other it's just mouth dripping allover the place.
    The unreal style always kicked ass but now it kicks even teh groin with the gears of war I mean he took coolness and gave it life,backstory,drama,all u could ask...Ice cold my ppl
    GOWposting.jpg

grosolan on
    Esti ieftin....
  • Options
    The CelestialThe Celestial Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    grosolan wrote:
    And James' pick and u cannot say that one is cooler than the other it's just mouth dripping allover the place.
    The unreal style always kicked ass but now it kicks even teh groin with the gears of war I mean he took coolness and gave it life,backstory,drama,all u could ask...Ice cold my ppl
    Was....was that English?

The Celestial on
    celbmb8.png
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Or was it Engrish? Or even worse...?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    It was english with my jaw dropped....it's pretty hard to talk like that...or even type

grosolan on
    Esti ieftin....