As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Teaching English without a BA?

Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I am interested in teaching english in a spanish speaking country, and I dont have a BA. I have about 2 years of college credits. I keep hearing that in countries like mexico, the demand is so high that a BA is not nessisary; although not having one will prevent me from getting the highest pay, which isn't a problem. I know that some places require a teofl thing, I don't really know what that is, but I can find out easily enough, my real question is how I get in contact with the people/schools who are offering these jobs.

Thanks in advance.

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
Indica1 on

• Options
    SideshowxelaSideshowxela Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My friend's recently been talking a lot about doing a similar thing but in Japan through Central Washington University. I haven't heard of it anywhere except through him, so I don't know quite how accurate that is, but maybe that'll be a start for you.

Sideshowxela on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Most places do require a bachelor's degree of some kind. Almost all places require the exam, and it's not cheap. Some will help pay for it though. I was really interested in going to South Korea to teach and I used to have a lot of links but it looks like I've cleared them out. I'd suggest visiting TEFL and seeing what you can find there.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The poorer the country the fewer the restrictions on English teachers, very simply.

You often need a BA in richer countries for the visa - someone might want to give you a job, but some governments have special 'English Teacher' visas and require the teacher to have a degree.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Shark_MegaByteShark_MegaByte Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The requirements for teaching English in other countries may be lower than what you need to teach a language here. I don't think that means it's a good idea to go do it without any specialized training in language or education. English is one of the quirkiest languages on Earth to learn non-natively. How well do you think you're able to teach those students right now? Keep in mind they may be depending on you to prepare them to live and work in an English-speaking country.

Shark_MegaByte on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I know plenty of weeaboo who seem to be successful in perpetuating terrible English speech in Japanese businessmen and school children without any of the proper credentials, though I think most of them have some sort of BA.

I imagine if they can get away with it in another first world, doing it in a borderline 2nd or 3rd world country wouldn't be a problem.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    When you teach English abroad with TEFL and not as a fluent speaker of both English and the other country's language you're teaching people who already speak English at several levels. Many times you're helping with pronunciation, slang, and culture. Also, you'll typically find yourself at a school that has worked with TEFL before and often will have other teachers there like yourself. That's up side of going to China or Korea where this is fairly common.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    MisterAlexMisterAlex Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've been in South Korea for a month now, and although this isn't where the OP wants to be, here's a link from my recruitor's website that people might find useful: http://www.thinkoutsiderecruiting.com/teaching/gepik_teaching_internship_program.php

You don't need a BA, just two years at an accredited post-secondary institution. As to be expected, the pay is a bit less, but still enough to live a very good lifestyle.

MisterAlex on