As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Photoshop Characters

Parris NoirParris Noir Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Artist's Corner
This is a work in progress, it's more or less a character for a project I am working on. Please take a look and tell me what you think.

marious.jpg

the robit spiders are EVERYWEHERE.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Parris Noir on

• Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Looks cool but the head doesn't seem to sit quite right on the shoulders, like the neck is centered just to the left of where it should be... Also the face is looking right at us, but the head appears to be angled slightly to our left.

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Looking good so far. Im interested to see how it turns out.

Oh and i like the bald head. Bald characters look totally badass!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    While I really appreciate subtlety, I think you should bump up the contrast- especially in the face.

Tam on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I like it so far. His features are wonky, so I would get those right before I go any further on his face.

rts on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    Wonky how?

bombardier on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well as I said earlier it is a work in progress. I havnt actually done the head, right arm, legs or lower tunic. As I add more I will post it. In the mean time here is a "completed" character costum. Also thank you for the comments, very useful they are.

[IMG]http://www.noir-studio.com/artwork/revenant-archer 2-female.jpg[/IMG]

Parris Noir on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    misosoupmisosoup Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    her 'mimsy' looks all off centered, the line from her abs to her.... lady parts, dosen't follow correctly

misosoup on
    APTBSsig.jpg
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i really like what you have here so far but one thing that stands out to me is the fact that you have very basic shading. base colour ... black shadow. how about some underlighting? like the environment reflecting back? how about some yellow highlights and a bit of purple in the shadows? you'd be surprised how much depth the right complimentary colours can add.

mully on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is this sketching over a 3D model, and then making shapes with gradients for clothing, then adding color to said gradients? If so, I think it's an interesting idea (at least the redrawing of a 3D model), but the execution isn't really working in that first concept.

As mentioned above, you're missing a lot of things. Contrast is the biggest thing. If the 3D program has some advanced lighting methods, turn it on and examine where the light's falling, and get way darker colors (that aren't just blacker versions of your base color) and hash out some shadows. Right now it's just really boring to look at.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    killbiggleskillbiggles Registered User new member
    edited September 2008
    schweeett

killbiggles on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The first thing I notice is that the first image you posted would be 100x more original and interesting if you kept the same matte white plasticy look throughout the image. He looks like some mad Mac-Tron warrior thing and the rendering on that white surface just looks really cool and well done to me. I'd say go down that route rather than 'Medieval warrior #393'

Ponge on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mully wrote: »
    i really like what you have here so far but one thing that stands out to me is the fact that you have very basic shading. base colour ... black shadow. how about some underlighting? like the environment reflecting back? how about some yellow highlights and a bit of purple in the shadows? you'd be surprised how much depth the right complimentary colours can add.

I was thinking the same thing.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    I've never understood how people can work by finishing one piece at a time like that instead of developing the whole in stages. It seems very counterintuitive.

DMAC on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm also wondering if you're using 3d models, especially on the first one. The shading on the face is like...almost too perfect for being brushstrokes or anything else.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Sadly i must confess I am useing a 3d model to start with. Since I'm a 3D modeler by trade i find this route easier

Parris Noir on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Well i was going for a more Classic Phantasy Star look, but you do raise a good point, so i will consider scetching out some other designs.

Parris Noir on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I take it the female costume was drawn from imagination? If so, I'd really suggest you either stick to doing them all from imagination or all from 3D models for the sake of consistency, since it appears that you're making them as a set.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The female is a test, she will e redone, since my skill is "evolving".

Here is a close up of the face, any suggestion on how to do the eyes would be awsome.

MariousHead.jpg

Parris Noir on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    it looks incredibly flat at the moment

unless the light source is coming from nearly directly in front of her and to the upper left, there should be more shadowing from the brows, under the nose, cast from the bridge of the nose, the upper lip, the underside of the bottom lip and rounding under the chin. The armor itself would cause some reflected light back onto the right (our left) cheek/underside of the chin and cast a shadow downward in on itself and onto the neck. As it stands right now you have a decent framework, but it really needs a lighting study to get it to fully render and read correctly

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sadly i must confess I am useing a 3d model to start with. Since I'm a 3D modeler by trade i find this route easier

A lot of video game artwork are traces of 3d models. Grand Theft Auto 4 is obviously traced from high quality renders. I don't find anything wrong with tracing 3d models, as long as the model people are tracing is their own. May as well take advantages of the skills you have. Hell, i wish i knew maya, that way my concept art for uni would be a lot easier as i wouldn't have to rule up all the lines on paper first.

winter_combat_knight on