As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video editting software that doesn't require SSE2

Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys.

So I do some real light film making once in awhile, mostly just to put together stuff for remembering things, like the VanPAX video I made and stuff like that. However, I was going to make one the other day and my old copy of Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 tells me that it has expired. So I got myself a copy of Premiere CS3, only to find out that my processor doesn't support the SSE2 instructions set, so I can't install it. So, without looking up any information (because that's how I roll) I assume that the new Premiere Elements will be a dumbed-down version of CS3 and thus will work on my system. Wrong again! Though dumbed-down it is, it still requires a processor that supports the SSE2 instructions set. So now, although I love premiere's editing interface to death, I need to find something else until I can upgrade my processor.

td;dr: Does anyone know of any video editing software with functionality on the level of Adobe Premiere but that doesn't require a processor that supports the SSE2 instructions set?

Edit: For PC, I don't currently have or have access to a Mac.

Captain Cthulhu on

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you've got access to a Mac, either iMovie or Final Cut Pro ought to work.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't have access to a Mac.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    my old copy of Adobe Premiere Pro 7.0 tells me that it has expired.

Expired? Wait, was this a demo or the full version? That sounds pretty fishy.

Anyway, I'd just track down an old version of premiere on ebay. I still do all my editing in premiere 6 and I'm happy as a clam.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    yea, either get an older version of the same software, or get a new computer.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Whats with the no love for virtualdubmod? I dunno if it requires SSE2 or whatever, but its free to find out.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • Options
    emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you're a student you can get Avid Media Composer Academic for $295. It's hands down the best editor out there, and that's an insanely good deal.

[/filmmakernerd]

emericana on