Options

Does Match.com "censor" messages?

TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been using the usual free dating sites to try to find interesting dates, but it seems the well has run dry and there really aren't many people left on them who I either haven't tried contacting or find interesting. So I've made a free account at Match.com and I've come across a few girls I find interesting. I know I have to pay to message people, but what I want to know is if they "censor" messages in the same way that they "censor" profiles.

What I mean is, if I include my e-mail address in a message, will they remove it or just outright not let me send the message? The reason I'm asking is because I'm fairly certain you can't reply to messages without paying, and it seems like I'd be more likely to get a response if I don't expect someone else to pay money just to say they're interested.

TwistedJester on

• Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, they do censor. They replace your email address (or variants of it, so you couldn't type "twistedjester at pa dot com") with your username @ talkmatch.com. And you can't reply without paying either, except in those canned "wink" message.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    If you're creative you could probably get around it, but the other person might think you're speaking in tongues or something.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Fuck. Well, thanks for saving me $35+, duders.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Trying to get around having a paid account on dating sites is not especially conducive to dating. It’s sort of like sending women an email that says I’m a bum and you’re paying for dinner.

supabeast on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Note, many people purposefully use pay sites so they don't get hit on by people who aren't members. They're using it as a filter -- fewer "i can has sex?" and more "I think you're cool enough that I'm paying money to send you a message."

People who use these sites don't expect you to pay for everything, regardless of gender, but yes, the filtering aspect is a major draw to the pay sites.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    supabeast wrote: »
    Trying to get around having a paid account on dating sites is not especially conducive to dating. It’s sort of like sending women an email that says I’m a bum and you’re paying for dinner.

He's wanting to pay to message these people. The only issue is they would have to pay to reply so he's wanting to leave his email address so they could reply to that instead.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »

He's wanting to pay to message these people. The only issue is they would have to pay to reply so he's wanting to leave his email address so they could reply to that instead.

I'm glad this came up, since I had the same thought before too. I considered signing up for a month, just to try things out, but the fact that other people also have to be members to respond to anything I send them kept me from doing it. Them censoring emails kills it for me.

Now that I think about it, during one of those free eharmony weekends, I actually got to the whole message exchanging part (pain in the ass too) with some girl. I sent her a note telling her my email address since the weekend was ending..and never heard from her. I can guess why now.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What you do is get to instant messengers as fast as possible.
    Hopefully you have a yahoo and aol account that has the same name, better if it's the same as your match name.

Then you say... "hey do you chat? my chat name is the same as my name here" and they get it 9 out of 10 times.

November 1st I am marrying a girl I met on Match.com Feb 8, 2006...

useless4 on
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

OH, my bad. I misunderstood how the system works.

supabeast on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »

I'm glad this came up, since I had the same thought before too. I considered signing up for a month, just to try things out, but the fact that other people also have to be members to respond to anything I send them kept me from doing it. Them censoring emails kills it for me.

Now that I think about it, during one of those free eharmony weekends, I actually got to the whole message exchanging part (pain in the ass too) with some girl. I sent her a note telling her my email address since the weekend was ending..and never heard from her. I can guess why now.

eharmony does not do this censoring. At least, not for the Canadian site, but I don't think it would be different.

I met three different girls over the last free communication weekend. Nothing ended up panning out, but I was able to exchange MSN handles with each and we were able to hook up outside of eharmony.

[Edit]
    Sorry to have rained on your parade though... didn't mean to be a downer and ruin your reason for never hearing from her.

LaOs on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2008
    I've seen "email (swirly thingie) emailservice (round thingie) com" to avoid spam bots. Might be worth a shot.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn