As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NHL] Something about the playoff should probably be in the thread title.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Those final seconds were intense...

oldmanken on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    WOOOOOOOOOO

GO GO BLACK AND GOLD

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    IronSunriseIronSunrise Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »
    Those final seconds were intense...

Love it... although I would, from my armchair at home, consider pulling the goalie during the 5 on 4, at about 1:20 to go (as 6 on 5 goals are inherently tough simply due to the number of skaters in the zone.) Great fight from the Caps, hope it doesn't take too much out of them for the next game.

IronSunrise on
    Georg Dreyman, I have no sympathy for you.
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    WOOOOOOOOOO

GO GO BLACK AND GOLD

Congrats on the win, you were by far the better team and deserved it.

Let's see how you do against a team that actually belongs in the NHL playoffs now.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Where the fuck was the karmic justice at the end there? Avery's team deserved to lose that lead.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I didn't realize I was playing in the NHL.

Wooo!

Best day ever!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Come us, it must be be the first time you hear someone saying ''us'' when speaking of his favourite sport team ;)

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Way to go Versus on the 5 minutes of unfinished goal cam footage... from the wrong game... in the middle of hawks flames coverage

IronSunrise on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Way to go Versus on the 5 minutes of unfinished goal cam footage... from the wrong game... in the middle of hawks flames coverage

Truly, they are the worst.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bah, two bullshit goals. Let's go calgary, get it together.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    And the Hawks tie it! :D

tofu on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    sigh >.<

I miss Regher
    tofu wrote: »
    I don't like you

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hand pass? Think that was a hand pass.

But woo Nystrom!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    9 goals in less than two games. C'mon Boolin Wall... help me out!

IronSunrise on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    the officiating in the third period of this Calgary/Chicago game has not been very good.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I want to know why the refs let Bulin back in net...

edit:
    WOO!!! Tied series bitches!

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hawks won the draw so it didn't matter. Had they tied it, how much bitching about that trip on Iginla would there have been?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm not sure, as a Vancouver fan, who I want to play in the 2nd round more, Chicago or Calgary.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "7:21 left to go in the first hundred years."

Damn that's cold.

Wow.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Rikushix wrote: »
    I'm not sure, as a Vancouver fan, who I want to play in the 2nd round more, Chicago or Calgary.

Calgary, because they are unclassy douchebags who I want to wipe the floor with. And then I can gloat in the faces of my Albertan friends.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    saggio wrote: »

Calgary, because they are unclassy douchebags who I want to wipe the floor with. And then I can gloat in the faces of my Albertan friends.

Pretty confident the Sharks don't roar back, aren't you guys?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Damn that's cold.

Wow.
    I know, right? Could not believe he said that.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Trus wrote: »
    sigh >.<

I miss Regher
    I don't like you

Coming from a Flames fan that's a complement.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Damn that's cold.

Wow.
    I know, right? Could not believe he said that.

But you didn't not like it.

I thought it was hysterical.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Trus wrote: »
    sigh >.<

I miss Regher
    I don't like you

Coming from a Flames fan that's a complement.

Truth.

And yeah, Enlightened I realized we'll be playing Detroit in the second round if the sharks win. Which is the only team that seriously worries me in the Western Conference. Chicago and San Jose could be quite the challenge.

Calgary doesn't worry me :P

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well, that was just about as satisfying a sweep as could happen. It's obvious that the Habs need an organizational enema from the top down. Even with all the injuries, they should've at least played with some desperation, grit, and heart. Instead, after each bad bounce or call they deflated just a bit more.

I'm hoping the Caps make a series out of it with NY. I'm not looking forward to the B's facing off against Lundqvist.

Any Bruins fans hear anything about Ference? I keep hearing he's day-to-day, but AFAIK, he's still not practicing. Is it realistic that he'll be available at all during the playoffs?

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh god. I was reading the Box Score from last night on ESPN and I accidently clicked the Conversation button.

IT BURNS FROM THE INSIDE!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Apparently the habs "fans" booed and jeered Price after I turned the TV off last night.

I fucking hate the Montreal crowd sometimes. I don't understand how you could watch any of those goals and think that Price could have stopped them.

What a nice classy finish to the season.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Proto wrote: »
    Apparently the habs "fans" booed and jeered Price after I turned the TV off last night.

I fucking hate the Montreal crowd sometimes. I don't understand how you could watch any of those goals and think that Price could have stopped them.

He made a stop on like...a long pass, pretty much, and got a sarcastic cheer that turned into boos.

I'm one of those people that have no problem with booing your own team if they're playing poorly. We, as fans, pay good money to see players perform and we hate feeling like it's wasted. I mean, quite honestly, if I was a Habs fan I'd boo too at that point. Over the 4 games, they showed a pathetic amount of effort with Kovalev single handedly keeping them in Game 1 and 3. I"d be pissed too that I wasted my money to come see these guys play like that in the post season.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

He made a stop on like...a long pass, pretty much, and got a sarcastic cheer that turned into boos.

I'm one of those people that have no problem with booing your own team if they're playing poorly. We, as fans, pay good money to see players perform and we hate feeling like it's wasted. I mean, quite honestly, if I was a Habs fan I'd boo too at that point. Over the 4 games, they showed a pathetic amount of effort with Kovalev single handedly keeping them in Game 1 and 3. I"d be pissed too that I wasted my money to come see these guys play like that in the post season.

The problem is that Price was playing quite well. He stopped two breakaways in a row! He's played just fine this whole series. Yet he constantly gets blamed by idiot fans. I understand booing the team, but to single out the one player who is actually playing a decent game and boo them? That's not cool.

Plus the whole Komisarek thing was retarded. Hope he gets a couple games for that idiocy.

Proto on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

The crowd also sarcastically chanted "Caaarrreeeyyy! Caaarrreeeyyy!" during the waning moments of the 3rd period.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The problem is that Price was playing quite well. He stopped two breakaways in a row! He's played just fine this whole series. Yet he constantly gets blamed by idiot fans. I understand booing the team, but to single out the one player who is actually playing a decent game and boo them? That's not cool.

Plus the whole Komisarek thing was retarded. Hope he gets a couple games for that idiocy.

Price didn't play well. I know the team didn't show much effort on defense, but Price's stat line is horrible anyways.

4.11 GAA - worst
    15 TGA - worst
    .878 SV% - worst

What makes it worse is that he's smack dab in the middle for shots saved, so it's not like the Bruins put a ton of pressure on him.

Price didn't get a lot of help from his defense, but he didn't play just fine.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Price didn't play well. I know the team didn't show much effort on defense, but Price's stat line is horrible anyways.

4.11 GAA - worst
    15 TGA - worst
    .878 SV% - worst

What makes it worse is that he's smack dab in the middle for shots saved, so it's not like the Bruins put a ton of pressure on him.

:|

Those stats are meaningless in determining whether or not a goalie is playing well.

Proto on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    That's what you get for booing America. Swept in the playoffs.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

This is important, or at least the first part. The defense and goaltender are a unit, if one isn't working it reflects poorly on he other. It's just easier to pick on the goalie.

Price wasn't fantastic, but the Habs were absolute shit. They hardly looked like they gave a shit, and spent most of the games just going through the motions.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yea, price let in a few soft goals, but he also did keep a couple of the games close. Not many goalies are going to do well when the effort of the 18 guys in front of him is so poor. You simply can't give away the puck like the habs did.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited April 2009

This is important, or at least the first part. The defense and goaltender are a unit, if one isn't working it reflects poorly on he other. It's just easier to pick on the goalie.

Price wasn't fantastic, but the Habs were absolute shit. They hardly looked like they gave a shit, and spent most of the games just going through the motions.

It's not entirely. Look at Lundgqvist, Fleury and Luongo right now.

Lundgvist has faced 149 shots and let in 8 goals. That's roughly 20 more shots than Price and half the amount of goals. You can't tell me the Rangers defense is playing well when they give up that many shots. It's that Lundgvist is a better goalie.

Fleury has faced 141 shots, stopped 133 and let in 9. That's roughly 15 more shots than Price and about half the amount of goals.

Luongo is the scary one. 131 shots, only 5 goals. That's rougly 10 more shots than Price and well, a third of the amount of goals.

Those three guys defenses are not playing well, they're give up a lot of shots, especially the Rangers, but their goalies are all superior and they're making the stops they need to make. Price didn't make those stops.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Lundgvist has faced 149 shots and let in 8 goals. That's roughly 20 more shots than Price and half the amount of goals. You can't tell me the Rangers defense is playing well when they give up that many shots. It's that Lundgvist is a better goalie.

Fleury has faced 141 shots, stopped 133 and let in 9. That's roughly 15 more shots than Price and about half the amount of goals.

Luongo is the scary one. 131 shots, only 5 goals. That's rougly 10 more shots than Price and well, a third of the amount of goals.

Those three guys defenses are not playing well, they're give up a lot of shots, especially the Rangers, but their goalies are all superior and they're making the stops they need to make. Price didn't make those stops.

All 3 of those goaltenders are getting much better defence than Price did, espically Lundqvist and Luongo who both play in defence first systems. Shots on goal is a horrible way to determine how the defence is playing.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

there is a problem with stat evaluations of player performance, the stats say nothing of the quality of the shots faced. I could stop a million shots and have the greatest stats ever, but if they were all bad angle and fluff shots it doesn't necessarily mean I am a good goalie.

I have seen nothing of the Bruins / Habs games as they only televised 1 in my area. So my question is was Price letting in fluff or were these "unstoppable" goals. By unstoppable I mean like a one timer to a guy in front of the net who slams it in with ease, a high quality shot.

For Fleury, he is making some lifetime highlight reel type saves lately. I hate the Pens, but gotta applaud his efforts. It is scary that he could mature into an even better goaltender.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You know, I don't think the series is entirely Price's fault, but I'm going to have to side with Justin on this one. The stats do speak for themselves.

edit: but to an extent though, obviously all the numbers regarding shots and the like can be represented across a wide range of "difficulties" in saving those shots, like truck-a-saurus said. The same goes for any collection of statistics when you compare situations that don't share exactly similar conditions. Like, a five game win streak is a five game win streak, but there's a big difference between a team getting that streak by playing five teams from the bottom half of the conference and five teams from the top half.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
This discussion has been closed.