As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Changeling: The Lost- The Scarecrow's Lament

No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To FearBut Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Critical Failures
The Towers falling changed everything. It changed how New Yorkers looked at their city, their world, and themselves. Emotions ran high in the aftermath of that terrible tragedy- fear of further death and destruction, anger at what had transpired, sorrow for so much loss, and a desire to be safe and get away from the pain. The incredible outpouring of emotions on that day, and in the weeks that followed it, left an indelible mark on on the Hedge. All throughout the city and the surrounding areas Hedge-gates opened and trods were stamped down. Central Park sprouted several, and a creeping mass of thorns has entangled itself in the undergrowth, completely baffling the local park service. Since that time, more and more Lost have found their way back from Arcadia to the City That Never Sleeps. What they have found since that sunny day in September is a Big Apple rotted to the core...

From the White Wolf site for uninitiated-

A Game of Beautiful Madness

The protagonists of this modern fairy tale are the changelings, or as they often call themselves, the Lost. Stolen away from their human lives as children or adults, they spent what seemed like years or even centuries in Faerie, chattel to beautiful but inhuman lords and ladies. Fed on faerie food and drink, they gradually became more fae themselves, their bodies shifting slightly to reflect their roles. Some, however, managed to escape. Holding on to their memories of home, they found their way through the winding thorns of the Hedge, the barrier between the mortal world and time-twisted Faerie.

Their return, however, was all too bittersweet. Some came back twenty years after they'd first vanished, even though it had never seemed that long to them in Faerie. Others who had reached adulthood in Arcadia found that they returned only a few hours after their abduction. And almost all found, horribly enough, that they weren't missed. The Fae had been thorough. Left in the stead of each abducted changeling was a replica, a simulacrum, a thing that looked like him or her — but wasn't. Now, with inhuman strangers living their lives and nowhere to go, the Lost must find their own way in the world that was stolen from them.

Changeling deals with the struggles and dreams of people who are no longer what they were, their mortal flesh interwoven with fae magic. An illusion called the Mask obscures their remade physical bodies, allowing them to pass for humans — a word that doesn't apply to them any more. The contrast between the reality of the mortal world and the unreality of Faerie colors their stories, in ways that often express as beauty, madness or both.

The beauty referred to almost goes without saying. Faerie is beautiful. It isn't kindly, or nurturing, or benevolent, but it is wondrously beautiful. The same is true for its children, both those that were born of its unreal matter and those mortals that were abducted and nursed on its magic. Even a hideous Ogre may have some strangely sketched artistry to its asymmetrical features, and even a Darkling of disturbing mien may have an elegantly hypnotic grace or cold, frank sexuality. But as the Lost move among the mortal world, trying to recover their old lives or draw enough Glamour to sustain themselves, they become aware of the beautiful things that mortals often take for granted. To a changeling, there is beauty in the grief hanging over the funeral of a good man, or in the awkward way a young girl twists her hands at a school dance. They see things nobody else does — not simply because they can, but because they try.

The madness inherent to a changeling's existence is also twofold. Part is external. Changelings too often cross paths with things of Faerie and the Hedge — strange, creeping things that should not be, that defy human rationality. The Others themselves can only be described as "mad," for surely they subscribe to no mortal definition of sanity. But an equally great threat comes from within. The threshold between dream and reality, between Faerie and mortality, is easily crossed… and a changeling doesn't always know which side of the threshold she stands on.

None of this has ever happened and hopefully never will.

From Nguyen's Weird Happenings, Mass Hallucinations, and Bumps in the Night of the New Millenium

" ...While the September 11th attack perpetrated on the United States in 2001 certainly had massive repercussions on the world at large, it is also more quietly known as one of the first great bouts of mass hallucination in the new millenium. There are several theories surrounding the bizzare, inexplicable, and even twisted tales that have trickled down through the survivors of that terrible tragedy. They are most commonly put down as hallucinations stemming from extreme stress and the inhalation of poisons and dusts in the air. Others point to some form of potent "nerve gas" weaponry that was exploded at the same time of the attacks to sow confusion. There are even a few fringe elements who point to ghosts, aliens, or extra-demensional visitors. Accounts of strange events come from both civilians and city authorities including police, fire, and EMS departments.

Many survivors claim to have experienced "nothing out of the ordinary" outside of the context of the catastrophe happening around them. Many initially reported strange occurrences of their own, but have since accounted them to the flights of fantasy of overtaxed minds. There is a hardened core of roughly twenty-percent, however, who stridently claim to have experienced contact with what many of them refer to as "Others." Accounts of these inhuman agents vary, and their behaviors run the gamut of benign, mischievous, and, in the most disturbing accounts, horrifically violent. A Brooklyn man claims to have been trapped in a hallway with, and almost abducted by, a woman in a filthy and tattered Victorian gown who appeared human outside of her dirty red hair, jet black eyes, and a smell of grave earth. A chance look at her in a mirror, however, revealed a visage of horrid decay, filthy yarn for hair, and buttons for eyes. The man detailed his escape as stemming from the entitity's inability to cross a line of broken glass.

A maid looking for a shortcut through an office suite happened upon a meeting between "three little business men." Each of them was two feet tall and wore an Armani suite. One had a head like a polar bear, but with insect mandibles in place of the normal mouth. The second's "head" was a lit candle protruding from an ornate beaten-brass "neck." The third Other had a TV set on its shoulders, with a live news-feed from outside playing on it. They each offered the dumbstruck woman an illegible business card before departing through a side-door, from which the maid claimed she could see green light and thorned briars. Upon opening the door herself, she found only an empty closet.

A traumatized and bloody editorial assistant recounts an incident wherein she stated that her fellow office workers were systematically butchered by several "goblins" wielding rusted scalpels and straight razors. Hysterical and covered in gore, she was rushed down the stairs where EMS could only discern a few deep wounds, which while severe couldn't possibly have accounted for the amount of blood spattered on her. The FDNY was unable to make it up to her company's floor to confirm or deny the massacre. It is strange, however, that she was the only worker on the floor to escape, despite being situated relatively low in Tower 2.

More disturbing is that some of these reports come from bystanders and city authorities after the Towers fell. As a massive cloud of dust gusted its way through the streets and alleys, some state that..."things" rode concealed within the dust, snatching up screaming bystanders. The NYPD has three seperate accounts of policemen reporting such occurences, one in particular involving an officer opening fire on what he called "a living shadow." He has since been comitted to asylum. As we dig deeper into these events we see a startling pattern emerge....."

The Big Apple Freehold:

To an outsider looking in, the Big Apple Freehold's Court structure would resemble that of a highly organized street-gang or mafia. Each Court provides distinct functions to the Freehold in dealing with both humane and fae affairs. Despite the rampant criminality of the Freehold, it's relationship with the city of New York is more symbiotic than parasitic. What each Court takes, it also gives back in it's own way. Well...that's supposed to be the idea anyway...

What follows is a rough write up of each Court. In the coming days I will add onto this with more detail, as well as principal characters such as the Court Kings and Queens. As well, I will also try to give a nWoD history lesson of what's been going on in NYC these last few years. and how this ties into the Freehold's activities. Again this is a ROUGH writeup, just because Summer functions as gangland goons doesn't mean that that's the end all, be all of the Court's activities.

Bear in mind, that despite being an above-average sized Freehold, the Big Apple only holds roughly 90-140 Changelings. In short, while the Courts certainly hold a lot of a power in mortal and fae affairs, their power is not unlimited or unchallenged. So, for example, while the Autumn Court may be in bed with certain members of local law-enforcement this doesn't mean that their ability to get Changelings out of trouble is unimpeachable. It's a rough, tough world out there baby. Take care...

Summer- The muscle. Every gang needs soldiers. Both to collect ah...rent from the local citizenry, or to bash in the skull of the screeching fae abomination that clawed it's way out of some filthy subway-bathroom's mirror.

Winter- The merchants. Every gang has a product to sell. Their's is just...better, you know? Even if it is a tad addictive...and if you don't have money to pay, well, everyone has some secrets for sale, right? Besides, who's ever gonna know?

Spring- The front. Every gang needs a place to hock their wares and unwind. They also need legal representation for when things get a little too hectic, wouldn't you agree?

Autumn- The one's pulling the strings. Every gang needs leadership...even if they rule by manipulation and scaring the shit out of everyone else. Having one's fingers in public administration and local law enforcement helps too.

Courts up soon, talking to people about sheets + job = timeeeee.

Linkies!

White Wolf's Changeling Page
http://www.white-wolf.com/changeling/index.php

The nWorld of Darkness Changeling Wiki- This has a LOT of specific information about the game, veyr useful for those who're interested bu hesistant-

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Changeling:_The_Lost

Greetings and salutations! This is a sign-up for White Wolf's nWoD game: Changeling: The Lost

I'm looking for 5 players total. Right now I have Rainfall, Variable, Araski If Nexus Crawler wants in, he is. Other than that Cj-Iwakura is working on a character, and Romantic Undead is on standby. I can't blame him for being hesitant.

Books necessary: nWoD core rules, Changeling: The Lost

Books optional yet VERY useful: Rites of Spring, Winter Masques, less so- Lords of Summer

Story spoilers DON'T TOUCH: Autumn Nightmares and especially - The Equinox Road and GRIM FEARS

This will be set in a post 9/11 NYC, and deal heavily with a lot of the themes and issues that have arisen since that time. This won't be 'Bush is an asshole!"; so much as thematic issues such as the corrupting effect that fear can have on our values and traditions. If you don't feel comfortable with this, please don't sign up. Also this game will also be fairly NSFW, this is a horror game after all.

This will be an Autumn story, focusing heavily on fear, paranoia, isolation, with a general mood of corruption.

To address any concerns about how Changeling games on this board always seem cursed- Everything is done; I just have to write the specifics down. Once we get our players we can all work more in depth about how we're going to run this. The plan is Play by Post. This is a largely political/ social/ investigative game unlike Werewolf, so it'll help everyone to have enough time to think-out their posts. I might be tempted to do IRC chat for single-player-action if they want to develop their own character's plot threads.

UPDATE 9/26

We have our 5: Rainfall, Araski, Variable, Mundane Soul, Slime Node

Character instructions: After a talk with Rain I've decided on no EXP bonus. I may grant boons in the way of Court favor though. So for now make you're characters as to the point as possible. Once we have all of our players we can go into this in more depth. For every erg of effort we put into planning this; the smoother and more enjoyable it'll be when we start.

This is also with regards to people having too similar concepts. I'd like to stretch out the archetypes so we have a better overall party. So think in general terms, fighter, thief, muse, builder/smith/tech person. I'd like for everyone to put at least a little thought into how their character would work combat, again this isn't a combat game, but you will get into a few scraps and fights. This doesn't mean make a scientist character good at brawl, but, hey that's what guns and contracts are for ;)

Also, once I get the better Court and City backgrounds up don't worry if you want to change your character around. I'm very flexible like that. For now just make a sheet and a background. If it need to be adapted we can do that. No worries.

No-Quarter on

• Options
    ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I may be interested in this. I've been getting more and more into the nWoD although I haven't played it as yet.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    as stated in OP I'm in on this. wooooo.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arasaki, if you like ANY nWoD, you'll love Changeling. It's bloody fuckin' genius in a box. Amazing chargen, brilliant fluffery, awesome setting... It's just brill.

And yes, I'm so in this.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hmmm.

HMMMM.

I'm in town on Tuesday for work stuff so I'll swing by the bookstore and pick up a copy then. It's likely I will play though, as I wish to get back into RPing and the nearest club is about 50 miles away. :|

Arasaki on
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arasaki wrote: »
    Hmmm.

HMMMM.

I'm in town on Tuesday for work stuff so I'll swing by the bookstore and pick up a copy then. It's likely I will play though, as I wish to get back into RPing and the nearest club is about 50 miles away. :|

It's really the best game WW has done is quite some time. Even if you don't play, the book si well worth the read. I mean COME ON, Changelings are PTSD-prone supernatural abuse survivors that have hallucinogenic magical trips whenever they remember their repressed memories of their imprisonment! ojsiovjoviho[fib -~!

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That's possibly more frightening than encouraging, though.

Changelings can be anything. Really. You can have a Changeling who feeds on the blood of his victims and doesn't go out during the day, or one who spends his time researching the occult to gain a handle on their Wyrd power.

You can have Changelings who are literally walking, talking dolls, or Changelings who are exceptionally good at making beer.

It's really a game where you can be anything you want, as long as you're not human. It's quite neat.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The book is still all kinds of daunting, but I'll do my best to come up with something.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Eh, I was just going to sleep, play WAR and work on my characters for the VII thing today so I guess I'll go to town in a couple of hours and pick up the books.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    Slime NodeSlime Node Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Mememememe! Changeling is my favorite RPG by far, and games of it are rarer than golden spaceships that dispense candy (which are really rare, if you didn't know). I need to head to work in about two minutes, but I'll try to get some vague idea of what I'd like to play by the end of the day.

Slime Node on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Arasaki wrote: »
    Eh, I was just going to sleep, play WAR and work on my characters for the VII thing today so I guess I'll go to town in a couple of hours and pick up the books.

Its a good book, very haunting.

The game sounds very interesting, but I think I'm a bit busy at the moment. So I won't sign up atm. Should no one else come along for whatever reason (too many books required?themes?), I'll be glad to come up with something.

Egos on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Wow, this looks fantastic. If only I had the money to drop on the books right now.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Forgot to ask before--by "this will be an Autumn story" do you mean that you want all of the characters to belong to the Autumn court, or just that it'll be themed in that direction?

Slime Node on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh yes, I am up for this.

Now I just need to decide exactly what I want to make.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay, I've got a general idea of what I'd like to play. Darkling Palewraith, probably heavily favoring social skills and stealth, with a little melee combat thrown in. If you'll allow Flaws, I'll probably go for the Fixation derangement too, as outlined under Mental Flaws. I'll wait until you answer my question about courts before I flesh out much more... the concept's going to differ a bit based on which court I go for.

Slime Node on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    No-Quarter... are you SURE you want to do this?

I mean REALLY SURE?

How many failed games has it been now, 3, 4?

Rainfall, Variable, if you guys want me in this, then I'm in, but I need to know this thing is actually gonna take off.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Hm, torn between a Telluric/Draconic Fairest or an Airtouched/Metalskin Elemental.

Time to RNG.

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    No-Quarter... are you SURE you want to do this?

I mean REALLY SURE?

How many failed games has it been now, 3, 4?

Rainfall, Variable, if you guys want me in this, then I'm in, but I need to know this thing is actually gonna take off.

I think we all know how long this is going to last.

But you should join in! At the very least, you have the enjoyment of making a character!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Slime Node wrote: »
    Forgot to ask before--by "this will be an Autumn story" do you mean that you want all of the characters to belong to the Autumn court, or just that it'll be themed in that direction?

Okay, I've got a general idea of what I'd like to play. Darkling Palewraith, probably heavily favoring social skills and stealth, with a little melee combat thrown in. If you'll allow Flaws, I'll probably go for the Fixation derangement too, as outlined under Mental Flaws. I'll wait until you answer my question about courts before I flesh out much more... the concept's going to differ a bit based on which court I go for.

Themed in that direction.

Yes Flaws will be allowed, and likely with an exp bonus for good roleplaying.

I will likely also start you guys off with about 15-20 exp. Just enough to define your characters a little better. Try and gear your characters practically. If you want to be a Wizened artist fine, but I'll have to think extra hard about what to do with you.

I'll post more about the Freehold situation more later tonight hopefully.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd like to have a character who maintains a Freehold, if that's possible. Just one idea I had floating around.

I think one of the problems I have with getting an idea for Changeling is that it's almost too open-ended.

It seems like a character's main goal is just to survive.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay, so I may cave and go buy the corebook for this just because it looks so cool. If so I'm in, but it may take me a bit to get acclimated as I've never played Changeling before.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Just remember this IS a space limited game.

So far I've got Variable, Rainfall, probably Nexus Crawler, Araski is stitching up a sheet, Cj_Iwakura working on a char (he owns the books), possibly Romantic Undead (who owns the books and has played before so it will take him no time if he's actually interested).

Mundane SOul I'd say hold off on buying unless you really just want to buy it for yourself. I'll ask around the group above about who's really definitive wants to be in.

For right now the FOR SURE List is - Rainfall, Variable, Araski

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Although I'll say right now that Changeling(and the WoD core, required for play!) are both superb books that everyone should own if they like RPGs at ALL.

And some people may not end up writing a sheet. That's a common plague across CF.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah, I'm nerded out enough to buy the corebook just to dive into the system and ogle the gameworld. :D The backdrop for Changeling looks interesting enough that I'd at least like to get familiar with it so that if I can't play in this game, I'll have it for future reference. I bought most of the oWoD books (despite the fact that most of my friends refused to PnP RPG) just because I loved the setting and the mythos of each game. At some point I'd love to run a WoD game of my own in this forum, as I've spent a lot of time cooking up ideas and whatnot...but now I'm ranting, sorry. :lol:

Thanks for the fair warning, though, No_Quarter! I'll join if you've got a spot, but if space is limited I certainly don't want to push anyone out who's considering playing. Just consider me a reserve and let me know if you need me!

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh yeah, I'm nerded out enough to buy the corebook just to dive into the system and ogle the gameworld. :D The backdrop for Changeling looks interesting enough that I'd at least like to get familiar with it so that if I can't play in this game, I'll have it for future reference. I bought most of the oWoD books (despite the fact that most of my friends refused to PnP RPG) just because I loved the setting and the mythos of each game. At some point I'd love to run a WoD game of my own in this forum, as I've spent a lot of time cooking up ideas and whatnot...but now I'm ranting, sorry. :lol:

Thanks for the fair warning, though, No_Quarter! I'll join if you've got a spot, but if space is limited I certainly don't want to push anyone out who's considering playing. Just consider me a reserve and let me know if you need me!

Got it. You're def on the reserves.

And for what it's worth I picked up the Core Book never intending to play. For 35 bucks (less on Amazon) it's well worth it for the read alone. + you could follow along, and if someone decides to stop playing/ is abducted by the Fae you can jump in.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Although I'll say right now that Changeling(and the WoD core, required for play!) are both superb books that everyone should own if they like RPGs at ALL.

And some people may not end up writing a sheet. That's a common plague across CF.

I've got all the stats done, it's just finalising the backstory that's holding me up. I would have been able to get it finished this morning if I didn't have to go into work. :(

Arasaki on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If you're taking other reserves, I have the book as well.. So in line after MS. :)

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I've got everything for a character mostly done, just waiting for some word on exactly how much extra xp to take and the details on the freehold to put on the finishing touches.

Slime Node on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would so have wanted to try this out, but I don't trust myself with play by post. I can't even keep focus for an entire phalla game.

:(

Vic on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I grabbed this on the way to work this morning and I'm already completely in love with it. The opening story, as someone who's never played Changeling and doesn't really understand it just yet, was bizarre and mystifying and beautiful. I'm probably going to devour this book over the next couple of nights.

I still need to grab the nWoD corebook too.

edit: Spent my lunch break with my nose in this book. SO GOOD

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    So I'm in the midst of the character creation chapter and playing around with some ideas. This game is so very awesome. The first few characters I make are definitely going to be Winter Court.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Main post updated. Take a gander. Unless the other person in particular doesn't want in (which I doubt) we will have all 5 players. Thank you everyone who showed interest, and I hope we can give you quite the show!

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    For those of you curious, although I haven't quiiite finished my sheet yet, my character is looking like a Courtless thief/tinkerer type.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Are you still waiting to hear from me, Quarter, or are you all set? I'm gonna go ahead and stand aside for someone new, but I'll definately be reading.

Silent Bill says hi :P

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    If you need a fifth, and cj isn't up for it. I'd gladly create a character to help complement the party/.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't think I'm familiar enough with the material to pull off a complete concept yet, so someone's welcome to the space if they get to a full fledged idea before I do(highly likely).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    OK 5 Players locked. tomorrow is wonderful Friday. I'll be conferring with you lads and lady throughout the weekend and I can hopefully give you more in depth Court info.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Who needs court info? Courtless for life!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Sorry I've been MIA gang I've been getting over strep throat. I did a lot of reading and research during while I was out of commission though, so I think I'll have a goodly amount of text for you coming in the near future.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Sorry I've been MIA gang I've been getting over strep throat. I did a lot of reading and research during while I was out of commission though, so I think I'll have a goodly amount of text for you coming in the near future.

See? SEEEEE? It's THE CURSE!!

SAVE YOURSELF, QUARTER!

Romantic Undead on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No-Quarter wrote: »

See? SEEEEE? It's THE CURSE!!

SAVE YOURSELF, QUARTER!

*Backhands* SHHHHHHH! :lol:

OK Everyone I've been doing a lot of typing and backtracking to make sure everything is synching up. To tide you over before the BIG POST here is the example of how I would like your character sheets to look in terms of wealth of background.

This is Mundane Soul's character Bullet Bill a Winter Wizened Smith, enjoy:
    On February 24, 1974, Emil and Dana Luca welcomed their first and only child into the world. They named him Benedikte, praying that God would favor him in life. Somehow it seems that name had the exact opposite effect.
    Benedikte’s parents moved from Romania to New York City shortly after his fifth birthday, scrounging together every spare penny they could come up with to try to offer their son a better life in America. Unfortunately, what they found there was far from it.
    Benedikte had a terrible time in school. His English was poor and slow to develop, leaving him far behind most of the other children in academic affairs. It didn’t help that he was always the smallest kid in class, and he seemed to always attract the attention of the most sadistic bullies the school had to offer. Unable to carry on much of a conversation with most of the other children, he had a hard time making and friends and spent most of his time alone, laughed at or ignored by his classmates. Benedikte came to despise school, and it seemed the feeling was almost entirely mutual.
    Benedikte’s father shuffled from job to job, never finding a place that he truly felt comfortable or even a place that would pay him a decent wage. His mood most evenings was dark, and Benedikte spent many a night locked in his room while his parents screamed at each other in the living area of their tiny, rundown apartment. As the years dragged on, the Luca family’s hope was snuffed. They were a soulless trio, going about their everyday actions with no real care or concern for what would come next. Benedikte remained friendless. His father remained miserable. And his mother’s mental state slowly began to decay, leaving her increasingly depressed, paranoid, and manic.

Shortly after Benedikte’s fifteenth birthday, his father fell ill. The doctors informed Emil that he had terminal pancreatic cancer, and that he had, at best, another six months to live. Emil died eight days later, and Dana lost her mind.
    Unable to deal with the loss of her husband, Benedikte’s mother was barely able to function any longer as a human being. She mostly refused to eat and spent every day sitting in the kitchen, staring out the window or with her face buried in the same book – it was always The Grapes of Wrath, for reasons Dana cared little to explain. Over the course of the next few years, she would speak rarely, and then usually only a single word or two.
    Benedikte was forced to drop out of school to support his mother. The machine factory where Emil had worked allowed him to step into his father’s position full time, and soon work consumed Benedikte’s life. Overtime was required, not optional, and there was plenty of it. His job, a simple assembly that required little effort on his part, was repetitive and mind-numbing. At his job, as at school, he was treated as a pariah, picked on for his size and quiet demeanor. Soon he understood his father’s dark moods, coming home just long enough to care for his mother and then shuffling into the bar down the block to smooth his worries away in a tide of liquor.
    Benedikte floated through the next few years, barely noticing anything that went on around him. At nineteen, he found his mother slumped over in the kitchen, where she’d slipped a steak knife between her ribs and into her cold, empty heart. He could hardly blame her. He’d considered the same on a few occasions, and caring for her was the only thing that had kept him from doing it.

There was no funeral. Benedikte couldn’t really afford it on his wage. He spread his mother’s ashes into the East River with a sigh one night, leaning over the guardrail and considering following her in. But then Sheila came.
    Wonderful Sheila. Amazing Sheila. Just as Benedikte shifted his weight to throw himself over the railing, Sheila leaned in beside him and whispered, “Whatcha doin?”
    He barely knew how to respond. It’d been years since he’d had any meaningful conversation with anyone who wasn’t serving him alcohol. He glanced over at her, suddenly stunned by her simple beauty, and much to his surprise, he smiled.
    “I’m saying goodbye to my mother,” Benedikte said.
    “Sorry to hear that. What was she like?”
    “Well, she was pretty miserable, really.”
    “That’s too bad. You shouldn’t be, though.”
    “Shouldn’t be what?”
    “Miserable. I mean, you seem like a good person.” Sheila always knew just what to say.
    “How do you know? You only just met me. I’m Benedikte, by the way.”
    “I’m a fantastic judge of character.” She grinned. “Cheers then, Ben. Shall we?” And with that, Sheila offered Benedikte her arm, and everything changed.

Life was amazing. Benedikte discovered a whole range of emotions he never knew existed. Sheila was incredible, a fireplug, full of life and love and passion. She’d moved in a month later, and they were married on Ben’s twentieth birthday. His job stayed every bit as monotonous and dreary, but it didn’t really matter anymore. When he had Sheila to come home to, everything was perfect. And they talked. Oh, how they talked. Late into the night, barely sleeping before Ben had to get up and get ready for work the next morning. Sheila’s paintings were fantastic, and sold well enough that the two of them were able to get a decent little apartment in a better part of town. Everything was so good. Too good. Ben should’ve known.

He was twenty-three when it happened, and it was 1997 when he left.

Ben was walking home from work one night when he heard sounds of a scuffle in a nearby alleyway. Hoping to aid a victim of a mugging or break up a fight, Ben quickly dashed over the entrance of the alley, just in time to see a well-dressed man grab his would be mugger and leech the life from him before Ben’s eyes. The well-dressed man turned and smiled at Ben. “Well now,” he said, “This simply won’t do, will it?”
    Much of it is a blur after that. Ben knows he was taken to a place that resembled the factory he worked in during his normal life, but everything in this place was somehow wrong. Twisted, organic and yet metallic, the place was full of horrors that never ceased to surprise him. He was ordered to create things for his Keeper, he remembers that much. Weapons, all kinds of them, most of them of shapes and sizes and dimensions that made no sense to his human mind, all of them terrible and unreal. He began with simple things, blades and bludgeoning instruments. When he failed, he would be beaten or stabbed repeatedly with his ill-functioning creation. He stopped expecting to die after the first few times, even when the wounds looked horrific. Somehow the next morning he would always awake again with a new and more complex task.
    At some point he began making the guns. He got the impression that his Keeper was a duelist of some sort, one who favored increasingly bizarre implements of violence with which to entertain himself. When Ben failed to properly construct a gun, he would be tortured for days. Often even when he succeeded, his Keeper would test out his new weapon on Ben to assure himself it would accomplish its intended use. Ben learned to throw himself into his work, concentrating on nothing else. He became increasingly skilled at his craft, soon delivering fantastical firearms that were flawless works of art. His Keeper was never happy, though.
    But Ben learned. Even as he suffered, he learned. When the gun was satisfactory, his captor would always test fire it at least once before leaving Ben with his next project. So Ben did something devious and sadistic. He built a firearm that would explode in his Keeper’s face, just to see what would happen. He’d learned to deal with the torture that would almost certainly come as a consequence. At this point, he just needed to do something to prove he still had some control.

Sure enough, his new creation did as he intended it to. Much to Ben’s surprise, it exceeded even his expectations and left his Keeper with little but a bloody mist where his head and neck had been. Ben spent a moment in shock before dashing out the door.

Ben ran for his life then. He ran through an insane place that was part forest and part machine, a place so unnatural that he felt as if he’d lose his mind at any moment. Still he ran. Soon he was in a strange place full of thorns and brambles. Ben bled and screamed and ran and ran and soon found himself on the streets of the city, his home, the Apple. Somehow, by some insane bit of fortune, he’d escaped.

So here we are. I’ve learned a lot since I got back. Turns out I’d been gone nine years, though I’d swear it was more like twelve or thirteen to me. Apparently the well-dressed man decided to leave a thing that looked like me in my place, but it “died” years ago when something blew up in that old machine factory. Sheila’s moved on. She’s got a new husband and kids now, and I can’t really blame her for that. I miss her, though, God do I ever miss her terribly. I like to keep on eye on her, just make sure she’s doing okay every now and then. Maybe someday that husband of hers will screw up, and I’ll see if I can’t tell her about all this madness that I’ve lived without her. If anyone would believe, it’s her.
    I try to fit in with these other freaks that’ve been to that terrible place, but I’m not so good at it. They call me Bullet, and yeah, they come to me when they want a piece, but you won’t ever see one of ‘em walking through my door just for some casual conversation. I guess I’m okay with that.
    I got a little place of my own downtown now. Making guns, cleaning them, fixing them up, it’s the only thing that keeps me going any more. If I don’t focus, I’ll go down that same road ma did back in the day, and I can’t have that. Somebody’s gotta look out for Sheila and the kids, after all.
    Okay, so I lied…I got two things that keep me going.

Concept: Expert Gunsmith
    Virtue: Fortitude
    Vice: Envy
    Seeming: Wizened
    Kith: Smith
    Court: Winter

Attributes
    Intelligence: 2
    Wits: 2
    Resolve: 3

Strength: 2
    Dexterity: 3
    Stamina: 3

Presence: 1
    Manipulation: 2
    Composure: 3

Skills
    Crafts: 5 (Specs: Firearms, Weapons)
    Occult: 1

Brawl: 1
    Firearms: 5 (Spec: Handguns)
    Larceny: 1
    Stealth: 1 (Spec: Blending Into Crowds)
    Weaponry: 2

Empathy: 1
    Intimidation: 1
    Streetwise: 1
    Subterfuge: 1

Merits

Resources: 3
    Iron Stamina: 2
    Contacts (Arms Dealers): 1
    Mantle (Winter): 1

Contracts
    Artifice: 3
    Forge: 2

Health: 8
    Willpower: 6
    Glamour: 5 of 10
    Wyrd: 1
    Clarity: 7

Seeming/Kith Blessing: Nimble, Steel Mastery
    Seeming Curse: Spite

Size: 5
    Defense: 2
    Initiative Mod: 6
    Speed: 10

NOTES:
    Bullet's high Resolve, Stamina, Composure, and his Iron Stamina merit all stem from his time in Arcadia. The constant torture he endured there has taught him to handle all but the most grievous wounds with little more than a grimace. Had to sacrifice in a couple of areas I would've liked to raise his other attributes/merits to get these where I wanted them, but I feel like this does the best job of representing my concept.

Bullet's virtue is fortitude because he has learned that he can sustain the most terrible physical and emotional damage and still come out alive - and usually even stronger for it. His vice is envy, though more in a general sense than aimed at any particular person or group. It's hard to watch every one else get to lead a halfway decent life while you're constantly getting walked on and ignored. Bullet is usually able to keep his envy of others' good fortune under wraps, but it does occasionally surface when he's especially frustrated with a given situation.

Bullet was discovered after his escape from Arcadia by a Hunterheart Beast named Tasha who quickly brought him up to speed on life as one of the Lost. Soon after she introduced him to her friends at the Winter Court and he was accepted in to their ranks. Over the next few months his skills would prove invaluable to them and soon, through a broken pledge that left its owner at his mercy, Bullet found himself in possession of a rundown pawn shop in the downtown area. He fixed up the shop as best he could and then reopened it as "Bullet's Fine Firearms." He does a fair amount of business these days between sales and repair/refitting, and Bullet also helps supply the Freehold with whatever firearm and weapon related services they require. It's enough to keep him busy and well paid, both of which he considers definite positives.

Unfortunately, Bullet has found that he's almost as ignored in changeling society as he was before he was Taken. Despite the fact that he's provided the Freehold with consistently solid service he's found it difficult to achieve any sort of gratitude or recognition from those in charge. Even Tasha barely seems to notice him anymore, other than giving him a polite nod whenever their paths cross. Insignificance apparently knows not the boundaries of supernatural being, as it is clear that Bullet will be just as overlooked here as was before. Usually this is not a problem, but when he finds that he needs something from his fellow changelings, he often finds himself frustrated and unfulfilled.

Height: 5'3" (Fae mien: 5'1")
    Weight: 130 lbs
    Eye color: Brown (seeming), Silver (mien)
    Hair color: Black

Bullet has always been shorter than most people. His time in Arcadia certainly didn't help, as it seems to have in some way left him even smaller than he was previously. Though he's short, Bullet is built wide and thick-boned. In his seeming, he's a stout little man with gnarled features and a nondescript face, and far from attractive. His mien is a bit more drastic, with his elbows rock solid where large lead deposits have broken through the skin, and a complexion that's less caucasian than it is a pale shade of gray. His hands are abnormally large and in places the skin is worn away to reveal a dull metal sheen beneath. When he coughs, and he does so often, plumes of black dust issue forth from his mouth. His eyes have faded to a shade of dull silver. His hair usually remains short and unkempt, and he's often seen in a rough khaki vest thrown over a worn and battered T-shirt and ratty cargo pants pulled down over steel-toed boots.

By giving ME a lot to work with, he's making it easier to tell his story. He gives me reasons for why he picked the skills, Vice/Virtue, and Court that he did showing that he both understands and knows which themes he wants me to focus on. Notice you don't have to TYPE that much as long as I get what you are saying. Talk to you soon.

No-Quarter on