As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TF2 Tournament: There Can Be Only One!...AGAIN!

• Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    You hypoglycemic or something flip?
    Not as such, but I get shaky easily. I have the metabolism of a hummingbird.

I have the metabolism of a whale, wanna trade?

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    KhaczorKhaczor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I already approved this and talked about this with DevEric and i'll tell team later but I'm going spy for a round of two for this night's matches.

Khaczor on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    we're going to have a bit of a overhaul for the classes. I'll post an announcement to get in the chat in an hour or so.

iowa on
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey You wrote: »
    Beast are you ready for OKTOBERFESSTTTT? Ill call later to tell you when im heading that way.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    DUCOMDUCOM Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't think we should do granary, or gpit. Should do well and badlands in my opinion.

DUCOM on
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Beast are you ready for OKTOBERFESSTTTT? Ill call later to tell you when im heading that way.

You didnt answer. All the free beers you could ever want, and you didnt answer. Shame shame.

Hey You on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    i'm...
    i'm ready for all the free beer i could ever want
    my liver's not; but fuck that thing
    when you comin' over, You?

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    yes i am totally ready....just give me a call and i'll head that way...

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Stop trying to get my players drunk.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    yea, 1 defense 1 offense is a stupid way to run gravelpit

2 DEFENSE 2 OFFENSE LET'S SEE IT HAPPEN

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    No.

Asiina on
  • Options
    Job_41:25Job_41:25 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Someone explain to me how this is better. Each team attacking and whoever gets the better time wins seems reasonable to me. If you did two of each then you could have a tie with each team winning once and losing once.

If anything I think there should be less rounds in the future. Why is best 4 out of 7 better than best 2 out of 3?

Job_41:25 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Best 2 out of 3 offense/defense is best.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Job_41:25 wrote: »

Someone explain to me how this is better. Each team attacking and whoever gets the better time wins seems reasonable to me. If you did two of each then you could have a tie with each team winning once and losing once.

If anything I think there should be less rounds in the future. Why is best 4 out of 7 better than best 2 out of 3?
    Because we're already playing a max of 3 games, which is very few.

To add to that a match that lasts 8 minutes and is subject to whimsical things happening is just blah. The teams have never played each other before, so going into a situation where it's a one off shot of you doing better than them at capping three points is... meh. There's no adjusting for anything.

edit: And it's no fun.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

this is the way that is universally hailed as the best way to run gpit:

each team attacks twice, defends twice.

for the first set of attacking/defense, time isn't taken into consideration. that means that both teams can score 3 points (1 point for each point), and end up at 3-3 the first set.

the second set is then the stopwatch round. the team that beats the others team time wins the match, if a tie occurs.

the reason why its run this way is because the first attacking/defense round is generally used to get into the swing of things. i've ran a fucking ton of these things, and having a 6 point setup really helps teams be able to get into the right frame of mind.

since we're only doing 1 attack 1 defense, it means that everything happens too fast. there is no chance to review what went wrong the previous round and try to fix it. that's stupid - it means that luck is a bigger factor than skill/coordination/teamwork.

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    RebellionRebellion Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Green Powa' Ranga' - I saw while watching our demo from last night that you had some sort of amazing screen shot of me. Can I has?

Rebellion on
    "Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everybody you meet."
    [IMG]http://www.alabasterslim.com/0/number 9.png[/IMG]
  • Options
    edited October 2008

To add to that a match that lasts 8 minutes and is subject to whimsical things happening is just blah. The teams have never played each other before, so going into a situation where it's a one off shot of you doing better than them at capping three points is... meh. There's no adjusting for anything.

I guess this just doesn't make sense to me. What does adjusting to the other team have to do with anything. If your team is better and can adjust better while playing the round why does it matter?

Its like saying two teams at the Olympics should play each other at least 3 times so they can adjust to each other. That should not be how it works. Team A plays Team B. If Team A is better than they win and move on.

the reason why its run this way is because the first attacking/defense round is generally used to get into the swing of things. i've ran a fucking ton of these things, and having a 6 point setup really helps teams be able to get into the right frame of mind.

since we're only doing 1 attack 1 defense, it means that everything happens too fast. there is no chance to review what went wrong the previous round and try to fix it. that's stupid - it means that luck is a bigger factor than skill/coordination/teamwork.

Isn't this what practice is for?

• Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Let's do this!!!!!!

OH wait, it's not time yet. But I wanted to leave work and I wanted to finish up some work there at the same time. But I said fuckit and left.

Arminas on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I guess this just doesn't make sense to me. What does adjusting to the other team have to do with anything. If your team is better and can adjust better while playing the round why does it matter?

Its like saying two teams at the Olympics should play each other at least 3 times so they can adjust to each other. That should not be how it works. Team A plays Team B. If Team A is better than they win and move on.
    Any team sport in the Olympics does not last 4 minutes.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There'll be other tournaments with other ideas and other ways of running things.

Shit, we could do a whole fucking league if you wanted like was supposed to happen when TF2 first came out.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Relays do. You train the best you can for it and then you go out and you give it your best. Ultimately the team that has more skill and is better prepared should win. You don't see relay teams lining up 3 times in a row to sort out who wins.

I'm not arguing about this tournament BTW. I'm just trying to understand why playing 6 rounds of Gravelpit is any different than playing 2.

• Options
    edited October 2008
    it's just funny because these rules make no sense on gravelpit

we're using standard CEVO rules on granary, but then make completely ridiculous rules on gravelpit.

it's obvious that somebody inexperienced created the ruleset, that's all

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Relays do. You train the best you can for it and then you go out and you give it your best. Ultimately the team that has more skill and is better prepared should win. You don't see relay teams lining up 3 times in a row to sort out who wins.

I'm not arguing about this tournament BTW. I'm just trying to understand why playing 6 rounds of Gravelpit is any different than playing 2.
    You also don't see relay teams doing anything at all to the other people in the race.

That's a none combative competitive sport is not analogous at all.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    rooles iz dum

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You also don't see relay teams doing anything at all to the other people in the race.

agreed...in a relay they're trying to run as fast as possible..that's it...there is no strategy based on what other people are doing....you go out there, you run fast, that's it

in a team sport where you're INTERACTING with the other team you need time to react to them and get used to how they play, one match is not enough for that

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

That's a valid point. If you make the approach of rounds being like quarters or periods in a game I can see some of the validity. It just seems dumb to trend out the outcome so much.

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, one match might be enough.

But those matches usually last a long time, and have breaks in between.

Innings/Half times/Quarters.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If there is a league I vote STAX plays together.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Just to play devil's advocate, does that mean we could just play one round of well instead of 4 out of 7?

The tournament rules are fine, I think 4 out of 7 is too much to me. Once you've lost 3 times in a row, you get a little disheartened and I don't think the 4th is necessary. I think 3 out of 5 would work just fine.

But it would be nice for there to be one more gravelpit match or something. Maybe like the thing Geek suggested.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so is w3 ok with badlands and well as the maps?

iowa on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    We just did those last time. So... maybe.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, one match might be enough.

But those matches usually last a long time, and have breaks in between.

Innings/Half times/Quarters.
    indeed....i just meant that these matches aren't long enough, they don't take enough time for us to figure out the other team...being on each side twice would allow us that time

and yeah, best 3 out of 5 would be better on other maps, by 3 you see the clear winner, and after that loss the other team is completely disheartened.....

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I don't see a 3 out of 5 system ever reaching the 60 minute time limit, so that'd have to be reworked as well.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The problem with doing gravelpit only once is one little mistake at a critical moment can really blow open a whole round. And it seems silly to have that one round weighted as much as best 4 out of 7 on a different map.

Also, I'd love to get a league or something going, that would be awesome.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    We just did those last time. So... maybe.

we just did granary and gravelpit, so... i'm sure we can reach some kind of compromise. :o

Xenocide Geek on
    most of all, most of all
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    How come no one wants cyberpunk? :(

Arminas on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think a PL map would be really fun to do in the next tourney.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Arminas wrote: »
    How come no one wants cyberpunk? :(

How the hell would you score it?

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Freshest beats win.