As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Should I buy a refurbished HP?

UnknownSaintUnknownSaint KasynRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I recently decided to replace my 6+ year old desktop, and was going to build one myself. My friend then informed me of some great deals he found on refurbished HP computers from the outlet on their official site. I checked things out and was way impressed with the specs for the cost.

My only concern of course is that the computers are refurbished, hence the savings. I'll have a decent warranty on it, and my friend has since reassured me that he's had nothing but good experiences with refurbished computers and equipment, but I'm kind of curious about the general consensus on the matter here.

TLDR - Is the massive savings for a good computer worth buying refurbished instead of buying/building new?

UnknownSaint on

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes, but not HPs. If you're going to buy refurbished, I'd buy a computer with a better history of reliability, like IBM/Lenovo.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also not Dells.

If you want it to last, build it yourself. The components they use on some of those pre-built rigs are just straight D-list. Dell doesn't make the DVD-ROMs that come in their computers most of the time, but the companies that do make them won't even put their name on the damn thing.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have a refurb gateway laptop that I absolutely love. Might be worth checking out Tiger Direct, they usually have pretty good deals.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Also not Dells.

If you want it to last, build it yourself. The components they use on some of those pre-built rigs are just straight D-list. Dell doesn't make the DVD-ROMs that come in their computers most of the time, but the companies that do make them won't even put their name on the damn thing.

as opposed to making their own motherboards and processors?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Also not Dells.

as opposed to making their own motherboards and processors?

Dell laptops are manufactured by a company called Compal, and Compal makes good machines. However, the swappable internal components like memory, battery, hard drive, and optical drives come from different manufacturers - in Dell's case, the internal optical drives usually come from TSSTCorp, a Toshiba subsidiary. I haven't seen anything to suggest that TSSTCorp's optical drives are particularly unreliable.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.