As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tesco Value Title: The Suffering for free!

darleysamdarleysam On my way toUKRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
The_Suffering_Coverart.png

As seen on 1UP here http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3170109

and downloadable here http://files.filefront.com/The+Suffering+Client/;11846564;/fileinfo.html

The Suffering is now available for free from Filefront. Mm, alliterative.
I'm currently downloading it, although Avast did flash up some virus error at the start, but I suspect this was just a wrong call, rather than someone distributing something malicious. I suppose we'll see, though. Still though, assuming everything is above board, free game!

So what is it anyway? Well apparently (according to the review I'm reading) you play as a convicted prisoner called Torque, awaiting execution. You know what, screw it, I'll copy a bit from Wikipedia (but stop before spoiler country)
The player controls Torque, a man who has been sent to the fictional Abbott State Penitentiary on Carnate Island, Maryland. Torque has been convicted and sentenced to death for murdering his wife and two children, although he claims to have blacked out at the time this happened and cannot remember anything. The night Torque arrives, there is a powerful earthquake, which releases an army of monsters upon the facility. Torque's cell door breaks and he is freed from his captivity. Starting with little more than a shiv, Torque traverses the prison in an attempt to escape Carnate Island alive.

During his journey, Torque finds that the monsters set loose personify the many forms of execution the island has played host to.

Sounds delightful!

forumsig.png
darleysam on

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Let it be known that the monsters/creatures were done by Stan Winston. That is reason enough to play it. Story was pretty good too if you like those old "Haunted Prison" movies.

There are certain moral choices that determine what kind of ending you get as well.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I enjoyed it though I never beat it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've heard very good things about this game. Downloading to give it a shot now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just bought the suffering recently. :(

For $9 mind you.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Since that's about the price of a movie ticket, it's well worth it.

I haven't played the sequel though.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A friend of mine loaned me this for the PS2 a long time ago and I must say it was pretty damn good. Parts of it were a bit hard but overall it was really worth playing through, if for nothing else do it for the atmosphere.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm in the mood fer something like this right now (too much TF2?), going to give it a try. Thanks!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So here's my list of games acquired for the month:

Heretic/HeXen 1 & 2 + expansions

Mount & Blade (didn't pay for this, had a key from long ago)

The Witcher: EE (payed for it way back when it came out)

The Suffering

X-COM

And this is a pretty dry month. I still need to get Dead Space, Pure and a dozen other titles.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is this for the US only?

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Played this for a smidge.

Got to the room viewing the electric chair.
    OH MY GOD DON'T LOOK AT THE SECURITY CAMERAS

That's enough for me, going to bed now! Here's to hoping my wife doesn't turn into a zombie demon with spike feet! Makes for an unpleasant morning.

I'm such a wuss.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Before I download, is this thing ok? I mean Ive played the suffering before, but I mean is it safe? Cause the comments I see below are that virus alerts go crazy with this so can anyone comment on if its alright? Cause I know some of you mustve downloaded it.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Inzigna wrote: »
    Is this for the US only?

D:

The last 'oh hey this game is free' I downloaded was Psy-Ops, only to be informed that it was only for the US region after installing it.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is this for the US only?

D:

The last 'oh hey this game is free' I downloaded was Psy-Ops, only to be informed that it was only for the US region after installing it.

Less concerned here as most places are starting to treat America Jr. the same as America, but would still like to know.

Will probably DL this anyways, it's only ~1.25GB right?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So any update on wether this US region limited?

Also, does it come with Starforce as the retail version did?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ad-supported. Och.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Advert supported =/= free. That's extra time I could be slaying things... and time is more valuable than money! Of course... I have lots of time and not enough money...
    I'm a sucker, I admit it... go ahead, raz me if you want, I don't even feel it!
    stop it! stop it!!

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I've played this before on the PS2 and loved it but I'm not sure if the game is meant to be played with kbam, let's wait and see

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The ads are pretty annoying. I'm running along killing monsters, the it pauses and I have to stare at some rocket taking off, which takes about 15-20 seconds... It happens ever 10-20 minutes I think.

e: But I'm really liking the game regardless.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What?! The game pauses because of the ads?

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    What?! The game pauses because of the ads?

I think the ad only shows up on movies in the game. So if you open a door and there's a movie of some guy talking, right before that you have to watch the ad.

Still beats paying money for the game though.

urahonky on
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So, game interrupting ads AND starforce? Can it get any better?

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    eobet wrote: »
    So, game interrupting ads AND starforce? Can it get any better?

It's FREE.

You pay nothing for it. What are you expecting? Starforce is silly but can easily be removed, but an ad-supported free game having ads? OH HOLY CHRISTMAS WHAT IS THIS?

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    First of all, you can skip the ads by just clicking on them. As for the little ads in the menu, you'll just have to deal with them.

Anyway, has anyone actually played this game yet? I'm about an hour or two hours into it and it's pretty good. It's not fantastic, but it's free.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah is Starforce on there? Because that pretty much kills this for me. I can't really see a reason to include DRM on a free game, but hey, publishers are weird like that.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Yeah is Starforce on there? Because that pretty much kills this for me. I can't really see a reason to include DRM on a free game, but hey, publishers are weird like that.

Chances are Starforce was on there when it wasn't free, and they didn't bother to remove it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Chances are Starforce was on there when it wasn't free, and they didn't bother to remove it.

That's my thinking as well.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I installed it, and I haven't run into any issues. So I don't know why everyone thinks SF will destroy their machine.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I installed it, and I haven't run into any issues. So I don't know why everyone thinks SF will destroy their machine.

Because it pretty much destroyed my last one.

Yes I know, it's easy to believe that everyone who comments on Starforce has no experience with it and is operating off of pure hyperbole and hearsay. What I will say is that when I installed Starforce on my last PC it caused constant hard crashing, blue screens and rebooting which was unsolvable by any method (yes, even their own uninstaller) short of a complete format.

Before Starforce was 'tweaked' so that Vista would accept it as a regular program, I tried to install a game that had Starforce on it (didn't know at the time), and Vista pegged the software as a rootkit and refused to run it. Not a vague description, not a UAC error, it literally told me that some application called "Starforce" was trying to run and mess with my drivers on a level that could be nothing short of malware. I got no cancel button or any option to waive this, Vista simply refused to let it run.

No, I am not keen on installing Starforce on my PC.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I heard that once upon a time as well. But until I run into a problem I'll not be scared of it. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yeah I heard that once upon a time as well. But until I run into a problem I'll not be scared of it. :)

I'm not trying to convince you. But you did ask.

subedii on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Blat. Why is it that these days, every time you go "actually, I -do- have EAX" it just means that the sound will be completely broken? I can't even hear my own gunshots because I hear sounds relative to where the camera is, rather than the character, and apparently gunshots don't carry more than a few meters.
    And the configuration only popped up the first time I ran the game. Even uninstall and reinstall can't get it back. Nuuuuuuuuu.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I'm not trying to convince you. But you did ask.

Yes I did. Thank you for answering it too. :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bumping this thread for awesome... Area 51, Full Spectrum Warrior, and Rise and Fall: Civilizations at War, are all up for free today.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No way! :D

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Wait, Area51 the shooter game? Sign me the hell up!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So, about that region thing...

Oh fuck it, I'll just download the damn thing already.

:rotate:

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Can this trend please continue?

Xagarath on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Area 51, Full Spectrum Warrior, and Rise and Fall Free on FileFront
    Who says you can't afford to game during a devastating economic crisis?

:lol:

So is there a central page anywhere that collects all of these free games? I recall Ubisoft put some out as well.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm really liking Full Spectrum Warrior and Area 51 (David Duchovny! :shock:), the only downside for me is that the videos between levels in Area 51 stutter a lot but oh well, I can't really complain as it's free :P

Impersonator on