Options

And I'm a Mac

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oh it's definitely a step backwards. I never did find a way to get my vista laptop to share files with my XP desktop. I just gave up and use a USB hard drive.

Of course that was before SP1 but fuck it.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Callius wrote: »
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Oh god Vista is so horrible on our domain. We only have one (because we wanted to see how bad it would be), the other five from that batch we blew away and installed XP from our Action Packs.
    I love that there are like fuckin' four god damned different screens you can use to change folder permissions... and they aren't fully linked!

There are quite a few things I hate.

I especially hate that they completely reorganized the control panel applets. I just want my old "Add/Remove Programs" and "Network Connections" back.

Also you can't seem to Net Send to a Vista machine.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    I share files all the time with other formats, it's no problem

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Butters wrote: »
    Oh it's definitely a step backwards. I never did find a way to get my vista laptop to share files with my XP desktop. I just gave up and use a USB hard drive.

What? That's one of the easiest things.

Just join them to the same workgroup. Right click on the folder you want to share and go to properties, then the sharing tab, and enable sharing.

Go to your windows machine, open explorer and type \\<computer name>\<share name>

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008

What? That's one of the easiest things.

Just join them to the same workgroup. Right click on the folder you want to share and go to properties, then the sharing tab, and enable sharing.

Go to your windows machine, open explorer and type \\<computer name>\<share name>

Oh I did all that. But when I actually went to transfer files Vista was all "FUCK YOU!"

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Oh I did all that. But when I actually went to transfer files Vista was all "FUCK YOU!"
    That's weird....

Are you sure you weren't trying to transfer files off of a piece of cheese? I've made that mistake before.

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    That's weird....

Are you sure you weren't trying to transfer files off of a piece of cheese? I've made that mistake before.

Some cheeses only work on Token Ring networks.

Depends how old they are.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    QuadropheniaQuadrophenia Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So I posted in some other thread about how my Macbook Pro's battery just died and didn't keep a charge. Apparently it's all better and thinks that keeping a charge is cool now.

Quadrophenia on
    I'm so tired of partying.
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I miss mac OS9

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    OS9 was fucking horrible.

Butters on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Got a macbook pro for studying abroad over here, works well enough. Once I get back home I'll be using it primarily for Final Draft and Final Cut probably

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    OS9 was fucking horrible.

OS9 was fuckin' fantastic back in the day

Why would you say this

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My computer is pretty neat.

I'm thinking about buying a new soundcard though, rather than this built into the motherboard bollocks.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »
    -verbose

edit: oh console

just connect using a terminal if you've got some funky setup that you need feedback on

helped me troubleshoot some issues with PEAP/MSCHAPv2 (it turned out to be the router's fault)
    How do I connect to a wireless network using the terminal? I've never done that, but sounds fun.

http://osxdaily.com/2007/01/18/airport-the-little-known-command-line-wireless-utility/

I think they've moved it under your $PATH now because I don't remember needing to create a symlink to use it, but maybe I did and forgot about it

it isn't very powerful on it's own, but what I used it for was to display detailed connection information (airport -I) while trying to connect to the network, which kept failing. We were able to figure out that I was connecting to the network, but it was timing out during authentication and causing the connection to drop.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    guys should I get an eee

I'm getting a really fancy desktop at the end of the year, but I want a laptop for class and stuff

my only real issue with the eee is that it has no dvd player or a cd-rom drive

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    http://osxdaily.com/2007/01/18/airport-the-little-known-command-line-wireless-utility/

I think they've moved it under your $PATH now because I don't remember needing to create a symlink to use it, but maybe I did and forgot about it

it isn't very powerful on it's own, but what I used it for was to display detailed connection information (airport -I) while trying to connect to the network, which kept failing. We were able to figure out that I was connecting to the network, but it was timing out during authentication and causing the connection to drop.
    raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    i built my computer - it was cheap as and it runs awesome

then i got one of these because when you save money, there's more to spend

hp.jpg

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I got myself a macbook a few weeks ago and I'm lovin it too man. No hate for PC's though because I still use my Dell desktop. Best of both worlds baby. OH and I just got the new iTouch 2nd like an hour ago. I <3 ugrades.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    vsove wrote: »
    Also, another downside to "macs as work computers."

Lock a linux box = Command + L
    Lock a windows box = Windows Key + L
    Lock a mac box = click on the apple button then click sleep (make sure you have lock on sleep selected); or I guess you could rely upon a screen saver (again, make sure that lock on screen saver is selected).

I never knew I could lock my workstation with Windows Key + L.

That's handy. I always did CTRL-ALT-DEL and just hit spacebar, since Lock Computer is always highlighted.

Learn something new every day.

That works fine on XP, but Vista tends to take a little longer to pull up the Ctrl-Alt-Del menu, so if you hit CAD and then Enter right away, it won't register. Drove me nuts until I found out about Win+L.
    Vista can be gay as fuck with simple WEP wireless too.
    Why the fuck are you using WEP?

No excuse for it not to work, but... do you want them to crack your wifi?

Most people don't need uncrackable wifi. Thye just need wifi that's harder to crack than the next guy.

It's like if you're camping and a bear shows up. You don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the slowest guy you're camping with.

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    is there a similar hotkey to bring up the task manager without having to go to the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen?

Javen on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Framling wrote: »
    Most people don't need uncrackable wifi. Thye just need wifi that's harder to crack than the next guy.

It's like if you're camping and a bear shows up. You don't have to outrun the bear. You just have to outrun the slowest guy you're camping with.

Yeah, but if you're a guy with no limbs that bear's still going to eat you even if the other guy has no limbs and no ears.

What I mean is that WEP is so weak it's effectively the same as no encryption whatsoever.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Javen wrote: »
    is there a similar hotkey to bring up the task manager without having to go to the CTRL-ALT-DEL screen?

Ctrl-shift-escape

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Janin wrote: »

Yeah, but if you're a guy with no limbs that bear's still going to eat you even if the other guy has no limbs and no ears.

What I mean is that WEP is so weak it's effectively the same as no encryption whatsoever.

you're kidding, right? it's the difference between "any idiot can access your internet connection by clicking on it" and "super nerds who want to hack your network specifically can access it"

hey if someone wants to put the time and effort into breaking in to my network then good on them, they aren't going be able to shoot lasers at me from the router or something

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »

you're kidding, right? it's the difference between "any idiot can access your internet connection by clicking on it" and "super nerds who want to hack your network specifically can access it"

hey if someone wants to put the time and effort into breaking in to my network then good on them, they aren't going be able to shoot lasers at me from the router or something

Yeah, if you're interested in secure bandwidth, then WEP sucks.

If you're just interested in stopping your neighbor from stealing your wireless, WEP rocks.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

well, the thing is, WEP is crackable by downloading a tool and clicking a button

they aren't exactly putting time and effort into it

WPA is crackable but does require time and effort, but once you change the setting on your router from WEP to WPA, is no different for you to connect to. you can even set it to the same key if you really wanted to.

so there's really no good reason to use WEP, unless you connect your DS to your wifi (because it's the only modern device that doesn't support WPA), or your router is ancient and doesn't have the option

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

well, the thing is, WEP is crackable by downloading a tool and clicking a button

they aren't exactly putting time and effort into it

WPA is crackable but does require time and effort, but once you change the setting on your router from WEP to WPA, is no different for you to connect to. you can even set it to the same key if you really wanted to.

so there's really no good reason to use WEP, unless you connect your DS to your wifi (because it's the only modern device that doesn't support WPA), or your router is ancient and doesn't have the option

I would be very surprised if the normal "I'll just leech my neighbor's wifi" person knows even about the WEP cracking tool.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm almost certain the people who live within reach of my router's signal aren't determined enough to hack my WEP key.

And if they do... they'll get a really slow connection with poor signal.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm somebodys neighbor and I know about it

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I suppose the chinese kid next door could be a super haxxor with a really cool online screen-name

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Are you an average leecher?

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    Are you an average leecher?

no, I can't stand to use my neighbors wifi

they let me while mine was down and their network is completely clogged with unthrottled bittorrent clients

it's actually faster to tether my phone and use EDGE than their network

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    And you're not exactly an average internet user to begin with, was more my point.

Khavall on
  • Options
    DasHanselHMDasHanselHM Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Powerbooks running Linux can't do WPA with an airport card. Apple added it into OSX using some kind of software voodoo, but at the driver level it is a hardware limitation. Go 16 bit interfaces!

DasHanselHM on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    And you're not exactly an average internet user to begin with, was more my point.

right, but my point is that it's not like there's a sign over someone that says "BEWARE: ADVANCED INTERNET USER", so unless you have a reason to stick with WEP, you should just take the two seconds it takes to switch to WPA. not because something bad is definitely going to happen, but because there's no good reason not to protect yourself.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

right, but my point is that it's not like there's a sign over someone that says "BEWARE: ADVANCED INTERNET USER"

You mean aside from the cheeto stains and crusty "han shot first" t-shirt?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    nothing involving networks takes two seconds, especially not in my house

my network is like a house of cards, only every third card is a sheet of bible paper with a marble balancing in the middle of it. also it's windy

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have a mac book

it does what I need it to

i'm sure i'd be happy with a windows laptop too, but I like this

also i've had zero problem connecting to wireless networks

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    my macbook pro makes me happy

Vladimer on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    the imac has never done me wrong

except i can't play most games but wow and flash games

but i love those and it rules regardless

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png