As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Its always sunny: the new seinfeld

MuragoMurago Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
if this is old...please go ahead and lock this down. didn't find anything in seach though

Check it!

l_5c8f1dc408ee56a857709787005578e0.jpg

I remember a few years back seeing the commercials for this show, and thinking "that looks funny". Then i remember they let everyone know that Danny Devito had joined! I thought "fuck that shit looks hilarious". And then last year, during their 3rd season, one commercial that was played on heavy rotation in Orlando featured a brief scene where a white man is looking straight in the camera, mouth filled with popcorn, and laughing his ass off. I remember thinking "I need to watch this fucking show...find out whats going on."

So very recently (two weeks), my friend lent me the 3rd season, and now I am hooked. I don't really watch TV, I have a couple seasons of family guy and reno 911, but thats it. I'm a huge seinfeld fan, and I can parallel a LOT of similarities between the two. I'd like to share my thoughts for discussion!

First, the cast. 3 guys and 1 girl. The characters from seinfeld are basically low lifes who enjoy observing others (often the characters themselves) in distress or do questionable things. Think about George Costanza making up a fake charity called "the human fund", and giving out cards saying he donated money in your name to this fund. Its politically incorrect situation humor.

Now take that, and kick it up a couple notches. Intensify each characters disdain for each other, disdain for ordinary people, and overall uncouth life as a human being. Take these people and put them in a bar (the shows main setting)...and you get Seinfeld meets Cheers (two massive successful shows) meets a modern sense of comedy.

THEN ADD FUCKING DANNY DEVITO.

This show is not clean, its not for kids, its not politically correct and it not trying to be. I also think its following the trend of seinfeld...it wasn't really big at first, but its catching on. It really feels like a show about nothing, and its not bogged down by any drama type fluff. Each character has his staple, but they all share a hatred for each other which seems to keep them together. And any question of morality is tossed aside.

Thursdays at 10pm on FX. Check it tonite, and give me your thoughts!

Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
Murago on

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I think there was a thread floating around a while ago.

I just thought I'd pop in and point out that the first three seasons are available in their entirety on hulu.com. In case anybody's like me and always feels the need to catch up.

I watched the first season, and it wasn't really my thing.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I think there was a thread floating around a while ago.

I just thought I'd pop in and point out that the first three seasons are available in their entirety on hulu.com. In case anybody's like me and always feels the need to catch up.

I watched the first season, and it wasn't really my thing.

I've actually been watching Season 1 on Hulu on the recommendation of a friend. It's surprisingly awesome, and I'm not sure how I missed it for this long.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    The abortion episode had me in hysterics. I actually dribbled a little bit of pee into my underwear.

Organichu on
  • Options
    emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Hey that's my avatar.

Best comedy on TV right now.

emericana on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd say your comparisons are completely wrong. Cheers and Seinfeld are nothing like Sunny.

Seinfeld had one amoral character: George. Jerry was a egotist, Elaine was insecure and bossy, and Kramer was the group's moral center who often lacked one himself . None of the characters outright hated each other and none of them were as bad as Charlie, Mac, Dee, or Dennis .

Cheers was Friends but with alcohol. The bar is a setting. Had Devito though. At least once.

Sunny is a group of sociopaths who simply do awful things to anyone for personal gain. The enjoyment of this series is derived from watching these guys and saying" My god these people are monsters but, they're to stupid to actually be a threat so it's hilarious."

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    You are the man emericana.

And your sig...i rmember that episode. its from the new season! They are asking the bank lady who she wants to take in the back and have bang her.

Also, I think Charlie is actually the strongest actor next to danny devito. His intensity as a character and actor are very visible...and a favorite episode of mine is when the two of them (devito and charlie) become trash loving bums.

Murago on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    snapshot20080825111532yv9.jpg

This is my favorite moment in the series. Recognize it?

emericana on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The gang forms a band, and Charlie claims to fling toothpaste onto his chair.

And at the least, Jerry, George, Elaine, and Newman were all assholes. Undeniable assholes, but not genuinely bad people.

The Sunny gang are all huge assholes, but also cesspools of immorality.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    whoa now, are you read to challenge me at seinfeld? lets do scene it: seinfeld sometime. both larry david and jerry seinfeld talk about (in the extras on the 9th season dvd) how they loved the idea of them ending up in jail for being generally bad people.

The last episode is full of people retelling the terrible things the 4 have done...maybe not kramer so much, so i will revert my theory on him...and restate that his kooky ideas and circumstances would carry over to this show. I can rattle a few examples of these people being terrible if you want, but only if you think its necessary to back myself up.

Also, I mainly used the bar setting from cheers. I don't think idea spilled over into "its always sunny", except the setting. Which, if you think about it, is more than enough. It really sets the stage for both crazy shit to happen, and the level of seriousness it conveys. I mean c'mon, its a fucking bar!

Murago on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Personal favorites:

When someone has an idea...another person STEALS it on the spot and then gets all the credit.

Litt catchphrases in the show like "boom" and "don't want to JAM you up here" which they used a lot in the police car show.

Charlie in general. have you noticed he is always either drunk, high or BOTH. He's illiterate and ADHD...

Murago on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Septus wrote: »
    The gang forms a band, and Charlie claims to fling toothpaste onto his chair.

bing bing bing

"That's CLEARLY bird shit."

emericana on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    The people in Seinfeld were bad people. They were still however just average New Yorkers.

The gang if slightly more intelligent would be a group of serial killers.

Edit- I won't derail the topic with why the last episode of Seinfeld is awful. Rest assured though it involved the sumary you provided.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I saw the episode last week where Frank pretended to give Dee and that other guy human meat and they started to go crazy and become cannbials. Fucking hilarious. How did I not know of this show before?

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I just watched the first episode. Halfway through it, I was hooked.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I saw the episode last week where Frank pretended to give Dee and that other guy human meat and they started to go crazy and become cannbials. Fucking hilarious. How did I not know of this show before?

YES!

They start really freaking out! They go to a morgue to get meat...wow. And also from the new season was the blackman/gayman episode.

Murago on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My favourite episode has got to be the one where Dennis is going to sleep with Charlie's ex unless Charlie stops making him do all the grunt work. From there it spirals into a web of sleeping with parents, elaborate lies, and phases.

Anyone remember Starved? It premiered the same time as Sunny but didn't make it to a second season.

Neaden on
  • Options
    EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The best episode.

If you hadn't figured it out yet, hulu has all 3 seasons and are adding s4 eps a week after they air.

Such an awesome show, though. Gas Crisis was fucking genius.

EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I wonder why so many people hate Seinfeld around here.

I mean, it's a show about nothing. Nothing. The characters have no redeemable traits whatsoever, right down to the end the show never took itself seriously, and there were never any preachy bullshit morals like 99% of the shows out on tv. Judging by how so many people revere characters like Eric Cartman and this show, you might as well consider this show a predecessor to those elements.

I'm not a huge fan of the show, but i'm getting really annoyed at all of these forum members taking a cheap shot at a show just because it was massively popular.
    This isn't this topic specifically, just throughout the overall forum.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    1. Starved super-sucked.

2. The basketball coach episode is my favorite I think.

emericana on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I was thinking of creating this very thread.

One of my favorites is still the third episode of the first season: "Underage Drinking: A National Concern."

"Oh, this is classic Tammy."

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm not reading the thread until I do so, but I'm gonna rewatch the first two seasons. I watched them once before and did not like the show. I can see why someone would enjoy it but honestly I was not impressed and found a lot of the humor to be really weak and the characters overly annoying. As in, I understand when something like that is the point but I need something about these characters to latch onto and not despise.

I remember feeling like the show got a lot better when Danny Devito joined, and then a few months after I watched it and decided I didn't like it, I got nostalgic for the very characters I despised. So the show does have some kind of charm... hence, the second chance. thanks for mentioning it's on Hulu, I don't even have to go out of my way to see it, that's a good thing.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

I mean, it's a show about nothing. Nothing. The characters have no redeemable traits whatsoever, right down to the end the show never took itself seriously, and there were never any preachy bullshit morals like 99% of the shows out on tv. Judging by how so many people revere characters like Eric Cartman and this show, you might as well consider this show a predecessor to those elements.

I'm not a huge fan of the show, but i'm getting really annoyed at all of these forum members taking a cheap shot at a show just because it was massively popular.

Seinfeld gets some flack but it was the highest rated comedy on TV for a reason. It fell apart in the last season though.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    MalaysianShrewMalaysianShrew Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

Seinfeld gets some flack but it was the highest rated comedy on TV for a reason. It fell apart in the last season though.

That's what makes me worry about every new season of this show. What if it starts to suck? For the same reason, I am glad Arrested Development ended when it did. They wrapped up all the storylines very nicely.

MalaysianShrew on
    Never trust a big butt and a smile.
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Here's the thing. Seinfeld isn't funny.

(edit: i didn't know therre was Seinfeld hate but why on earth would you compare these two shows? I mean there isn't a god damn similarity other than the two of them being shows about stuff.)

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The first two seasons are pretty great, the third season wasn't as good.

tofu on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    NIGHT MAN

FIGHTER OF THE DAY MAN

I'd say that absolutely the best episode is the one where Dee and Dennis? go on welfare. But they realize they're too well put together to be on welfare, despite trying to pretend Dee is retarded, and stat buying crack for like $200 a hit. Then they become crack addicts...I love it.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    WILD CARD BITCHES!

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I have Charlie's America Song as my ringtone.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Amazing show. I've been watching since the first season. A friend was channel surfing and we all happened to stumble onto this show, I'm so glad we did. Best show...ever!

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I'm going onto hulu (awesome site, thanks for showing it to me) - and i'm watching the 1st season. Great fucking stuff! I'm surprised to learn that the very first episode melded both racism and homosexuality in a very uncomfortable and innapropriate way.

I'm starting to REALLY see though, that Charlie is a very good actor. In the beginning he's not as wild as he is in the more recent season...which means he's developing his character. Almost like Kramer...

Murago on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Charlie Day is very talented. So isn't Glen Howerton.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm going to teabag you guys with ink on my testicles. Then give you a gorilla face. Just for kicks.

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    I have Charlie's America Song as my ringtone.

oh my god

where can i get this ringtone

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah, I don't see the Seinfeld comparisons. Seinfeld is getting a bit dated, but was great during its day.

I dunno, I took my brother's recommendation and watch some of Season 1 on Hulu. After the first couple of episodes, I stopped watching. I don't relate to any of the characters - it's three guys who act like total jackasses (and not even three different flavors of jackass, I have a hard time telling them apart), plus a hot girl who stands around while they do stupid shit saying "Stop doing stupid shit, you guys!" I dunno, from the gay episode and the abortion one, it looks like they're going for the "shocking take on a hot topic" brand of humor, but there wasn't enough to keep me interested.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I don't really see why people always have to relate to characters to find the show funny. These people are horrible and it is wonderful to see them be horrible.

They're not going for a "shocking take on a hot topic," they're going for "idiots who rehearse the same tired old arguments, hilarious in their ignorance, or who just don't care because they're apathetic and immoral"

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2008
    The three guys are completely different, IMO.

And Dee is a dirty, drunken whore. :lol:

Organichu on
  • Options
    alivatnaalivatna Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    They actually went over each others roles in last weeks episode

Mac is the Brains
    Dennis is the Looks
    Dee is the Useless One
    Frank is the Muscle
    Charlie is the Wildcard

alivatna on
  • Options
    EliteBattlemanEliteBattleman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    GREENMAN!!

ballkick.gif

EliteBattleman on
    This is my sig.
    There are many others like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Thread title doesn't make sense, but I do love the show.

Last night's episodes were funny. The whole theory behind popular youtube videos was spot on.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    alivatna wrote: »
    They actually went over each others roles in last weeks episode

Mac is the Brains (Donatello)
    Dennis is the Looks (Raphael)
    Dee is the Useless One (April)
    Frank is the Muscle (Leonardo)
    Charlie is the Wildcard (Michelangelo)

Evil Multifarious on