As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Religion ruins the study of history

QinguQingu Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I just watched The Ten Commandments for the first time in a long-ass time.

The very last line of the movie is spoken by Charlton Heston as Moses, standing majestically astride the boundary to the holy land (which he would not enter). He hands off the Torah to Joshua and then declares,

Go, proclaim liberty through all the lands! To all the inhabitants thereof!

(SO IT IS WRITTEN. SO LET IT BE DONE.)

I was struck by two things.

1. How much this movie warps the original story's moral message into its own. In the Bible, Joshua and the Israelites do not spread freedom through the holy land. They literally go on a genocide. They are commanded to kill all of the inhabitants thereof—every man, woman, and child—and then occupy the remains of their destroyed cities. The movie also imposes an incredibly overt abolitionist/antislavery moral message that is simply not there in the original story (the Israelites could own slaves and were legally obligated to enslave non-holy land cities they conquered.)

2. How much the Bible's stories, themselves, pervert the stories of what actually happened in history. It's interesting to think about how The Ten Commandments movie would have been made if its producers took the approach that the makers of Troy took—remove all the supernatural elements from the story, and try to establish a reasonably approximate tale of what could have really happened at that point in history.

Obviously, I am an atheist, so I'm a bit biased in my outlook on Biblical history. But I think most people on D&D, even the Christians, do not interpret the story of Exodus literally. I think most thinking people would doubt that Yahweh actually turned the Nile river to blood, that he made fire and brimstone rain down and Egypt, and sent a destroyer angel to kill all the firstborns, or sent pillars of fire to hold off the Egyptians.

It is fascinating to consider the kernel of truth in Moses' story. Moses is an Egyptian name, and I don't think it's a coincidence that we see the first records of a monotheistic religion arise in Mesopotamia shortly after the demise of the monotheistic Amarna cult in Egypt. It's an entirely possible that Moses, or his followers, were adherents of the Amarna cult. The Hebrew religion is really an amalgam of a number of religious beliefs floating around in ancient Mesopotamia around 1400-800 B.C.: the Babylonian cult of Sin (the moon god) believed in Sabbath days—called shabatu days, they were considered astrologically unlucky and nobody was allowed to work. Mt. Sinai is probably derivative of Sin. The Babylonian creation myth, the Enuma Elish, has many similarities to Yahweh's creation story in Genesis, and there are two Babylonian flood stories (Atrahasis and a flashback story in the Epic of Gilgamesh) that predate the Genesis flood story and share many of its details. A monotheistic cult leader from Egypt, or his later followers, could well have used syncretism to unify all these Mesopotamian tribal and cultish beliefs into a single, guiding ideology.

It's a fascinating historical story. But it pisses me off because we can't really tell this story in our culture, because people take the Bible so seriously. And the same applies to history in other areas: many Hindus believe that epic myths like the Ramayana and the Mahabharata are accurate tellings of history, so it's difficult to explore what could have really happened in ancient India. Chinese and Japanese history are likewise obscured by their psuedo-religious histories, describing magical emperors and moral prophets. Imagine if we could study these areas of ancient history with the same skeptical clarity that we study ancient Greece and Rome with—how much more would we know, and how many more lessons could we learn?

Qingu on

• Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Are enough sources even there for the periods you're talking of? The reason we don't know what happened around the time of Moses isn't for want of research.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Æthelred wrote: »
    Are enough sources even there for the periods you're talking of? The reason we don't know what happened around the time of Moses isn't for want of research.

I'm not even sure if Moses actually existed.

EDIT: I could be wrong of course, but to come up with that story during that time period and to have nobody call you out on it is more than a little suspicious.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Qingu wrote: »
    It's a fascinating historical story. But it pisses me off because we can't really tell this story in our culture, because people take the Bible so seriously. And the same applies to history in other areas: many Hindus believe that epic myths like the Ramayana and the Mahabharata are accurate tellings of history, so it's difficult to explore what could have really happened in ancient India. Chinese and Japanese history are likewise obscured by their psuedo-religious histories, describing magical emperors and moral prophets. Imagine if we could study these areas of ancient history with the same skeptical clarity that we study ancient Greece and Rome with—how much more would we know, and how many more lessons could we learn?

Dude, they have documentaries on what really happened during Biblical times on all the time. I distinctly remember one where they were trying to track down the original Garden of Eden. Most people aren't particularly interested, but the number of people actively hostile towards such investigation is - in the US, anyway - minute.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Unexciting idea the first: Movies are terrible portrayals of history.
    Unexciting idea the second: History is written by the victor.
    Unexciting idea the third: People are sometimes resistant to hearing their heroes criticized, whether those heroes are religious or not.
    Unexciting idea the fourth: When religious people pull the same shit as non-religious people (like portraying a murderer as a hero), anti-religious people trot out the "lolfundies" banners.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited September 2008
    Imagine if we could study these areas of ancient history with the same skeptical clarity that we study ancient Greece and Rome with—how much more would we know, and how many more lessons could we learn?

And then we could make movies, like we do now, where we portray Spartans as the slavers they were and not some freedom loving heroes. But about Christian history.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    What exactly is it that you want to discuss? As for the "supernatural" occurences that took place in egypt, i just attended a 2 hour forum by Dr. Bart. J. Kowallis where he gave proof the major enviormental occurence that it talked about, could easily have been caused by Volcanoes.

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    captainzmancaptainzman Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Dude, they have documentaries on what really happened during Biblical times on all the time. I distinctly remember one where they were trying to track down the original Garden of Eden. Most people aren't particularly interested, but the number of people actively hostile towards such investigation is - in the US, anyway - minute.

It's not just television- check out the academic journals and books on this subject, too.

captainzman on
  • Options
    nescientistnescientist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Religion has nothing on politics in the arena of history distortion. Of course, the idea that those two things are separate is relatively recent, but I cling to it with desperation.

nescientist on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    I'd say it's about as likely that Moses existed as Sargon of Akkad. Sargon of Akkad was also floated down a river in a reed basket and had magical powers.

On a scale of "how likely did someone sort of like them actually exist," here's my spectrum:

• Alexander the Great
    • Jesus
    • Sargon of Akkad
    • Moses
    • Gilgamesh
    • King Rama
    • Adam
    EDIT: I could be wrong of course, but to come up with that story during that time period and to have nobody call you out on it is more than a little suspicious.
    I think you are vastly underestimating the integrity of "historical texts" during that period. Babylonian kings lists are ridiculous, claiming that some kings lived thousands of years and were descended from gods. Gilgamesh was considered to be a real, historical king, who traveled to the edge of the world and threw a bull's thigh in the face of a goddess. Even Greek and Roman histories were frought with miracle stories (try reading Josephus, for example, who says an army appeared in the clouds with chariots and armor before the destruction of the Judean temple). So, it's not like there were many skeptical historical critics following around the authors of Exodus going "that didn't happen!"

Secondly, the Bible was not written down during the time of Moses. Most scholars believe it was written from around 900 to 400 B.C., with earlier oral versions of the stories getting passed down and modified into written form (which was also modified). Exodus is not an "eyewitness perspective" anymore than the Ramayana is (neither are the gospels, for that matter, though they were written closer to the events they described.)

So yes, a cult around a real Egyptian exile figure named Moses could have easily arose in ancient Egypt, and its story would have mutated through 5-10 centuries before getting written down in Exodus.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

It's not just television- check out the academic journals and books on this subject, too.
    I'm aware (I was a religious studies major and one of my favorite museums is the Oriental Institute).

I guess I should have been clearer: I realize there's research on this stuff, but it's not communicated to the public in the same way that, say, ancient Greek or Roman or Egyptian research is. For example, you don't learn about "ancient Mesopotamian and Israelite history" in middle school. Nobody makes historical epics based on actual, historical research on what ancient Israel would have been like—they make movies like The Ten Commandments (which themselves freely twist the story as much as the story probably twists the real history—a twist of a twist).

Qingu on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I agree with everything about that list except for Jesus, because the man did exist.

Maybe not as the superpowered, lame-healing and water-walking guru he's known as today, but he was around.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Religion has nothing on politics in the arena of history distortion. Of course, the idea that those two things are separate is relatively recent, but I cling to it with desperation.
    I disagree. The cloud of distortion from politics tends to clear pretty rapidly.

For example, we have a relatively accurate picture of what happened during Alexander the Great's reign and conquest—he was politically deified. We know a lot about ancient Roman emperors, and medieval kings, despite the political machinations of these places' rulers. The distortion around these figures and their stories was potent, but whatever religious cults they formed didn't last, and so we can look at them somewhat objectively today.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I agree with everything about that list except for Jesus, because the man did exist.

Maybe not as the superpowered, lame-healing and water-walking guru he's known as today, but he was around.
    Jesus was pretty high up on the list, dude. I think he almost certainly existed (where else would the pre-Paul messianic cult based around a figure named "Yeshua" have come from? Paul and Peter couldn't have made it up—it was there when Paul started writing his letters.)

Qingu on
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Religious texts are often the only sources we even have from that period in time.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't care The Ten Commandments is a good movie.

I'd still do Ramses' wife even today all withered and old.

Not dead though, that's icky.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Imagine if we could study these areas of ancient history with the same skeptical clarity that we study ancient Greece and Rome with—how much more would we know, and how many more lessons could we learn?

And then we could make movies, like we do now, where we portray Spartans as the slavers they were and not some freedom loving heroes. But about Christian history.
    Okay, touche, that movie was such bullshit.

But I give it leeway because it was based on a comic book.

I mean, shit, I wish someone made a comic book where Jesus is this badass demonhunter wizard who goes Super Sayan and fights Satan with magical Avatar-style martial arts in a supernatural plane while he's getting his ass crucified, and I'd watch a movie based on that comic book 20 times a day.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Religious texts are often the only sources we even have from that period in time.
    But many other historical sources are highly religious, and we can still derive a secular idea of what happened by studying them (and teach it to our children).

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Man some of the best movies have been literal rapes of historical facts.

e.g. Braveheart.

Kagera on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm aware (I was a religious studies major and one of my favorite museums is the Oriental Institute).

I guess I should have been clearer: I realize there's research on this stuff, but it's not communicated to the public in the same way that, say, ancient Greek or Roman or Egyptian research is. For example, you don't learn about "ancient Mesopotamian and Israelite history" in middle school. Nobody makes historical epics based on actual, historical research on what ancient Israel would have been like—they make movies like The Ten Commandments (which themselves freely twist the story as much as the story probably twists the real history—a twist of a twist).
    I agree with Qingu, we need more thoroughly-researched, historically-accurate movies like 300, Gladiator, Troy, U-571, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, A Knight's Tale.... damn religion for creating the one and only stronghold of historical inaccuracies in what would otherwise be a set of perfectly scientifically accurate documentaries!

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    I don't care The Ten Commandments is a good movie.

I'd still do Ramses' wife even today all withered and old.

Not dead though, that's icky.
    It was an awesome movie. I didn't realize how awesome it was.

It reminded me of Lord of the Rings more than anything. I guess that says something about my view of its portrayal of actual history.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

I think we just need to give it time.
    A lot of this is taking place already, by reasonable people on both sides of the fence.

captainzman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    I agree with Qingu, we need more thoroughly-researched, historically-accurate movies like 300, Gladiator, Troy, U-571, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, A Knight's Tale.... damn religion for creating the one and only stronghold of historical inaccuracies in what would otherwise be a set of perfectly scientifically accurate documentaries!
    Okay—these movies were historically inaccurate, but not to the same extent that Ten Commandments was.

Troy, for example, did not feature gods going into the battlefield and pulling Achilles away from combat by his hair. A Knight's Tale did not portray knights or saints as having magical powers derived from their faith in Christianity and use of ancient relics. Gladiator did not show Roman emperors healing cripples and blind men with godlike powers (as historical texts from the period show them capable of).

In other words: these movies play fast and loose with historical facts, but they don't play fast and loose with the physics of the time period.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    But it's a RELIGIOUS movie, of course it's going to have mystical shit like burning bushes and snake staves and even green God cloud that kills kids.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Plutonium wrote: »
    But many other historical sources are highly religious, and we can still derive a secular idea of what happened by studying them (and teach it to our children).

Now I think this will be a problem, if I'm interpreting you correctly. If it's something like divorcing history completely from religion, where we're saying that religious people think God did it, but we don 't believe in that stuff, so here's what really happened, then I don't this what you're hoping for will ever happen unless people in general stop being religious.

captainzman on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Okay—these movies were historically inaccurate, but not to the same extent that Ten Commandments was.

Troy, for example, did not feature gods going into the battlefield and pulling Achilles away from combat by his hair. A Knight's Tale did not portray knights or saints as having magical powers derived from their faith in Christianity and use of ancient relics. Gladiator did not show Roman emperors healing cripples and blind men with godlike powers (as historical texts from the period show them capable of).

In other words: these movies play fast and loose with historical facts, but they don't play fast and loose with the physics of the time period.
    My point was, your world where all movies save for those darn judeo-christian ones hold historical accuracy as sacrosanct exists only inside your head. Historical accuracy has never been a primary concern when writing the script for a "historical" blockbuster. Hell, it has never been a secondary concern. Hell, most movie-makers seem to be working on the assumption that getting the name of the civilization right and a time-frame rounded to the nearest century or two is historical enough.

Also, a movie about Troy without gods involved? And you were complaining about Ten Commandments twisting the original material?

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2008
    Elki wrote: »

Okay, touche, that movie was such bullshit.

I mean, shit, I wish someone made a comic book where Jesus is this badass demonhunter wizard who goes Super Sayan and fights Satan with magical Avatar-style martial arts in a supernatural plane while he's getting his ass crucified, and I'd watch a movie based on that comic book 20 times a day.

Somebody option this; now.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My former roommate's mom supposedly writes angry letters to the History Channel whenever they air a documentary about what really happened.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    But it's a RELIGIOUS movie, of course it's going to have mystical shit like burning bushes and snake staves and even green God cloud that kills kids.
    Those other movies could have been religious! They could have had Athena and Zeus and shit in Troy.

Also, for a religious movie, Ten Commandments sure did violence to the "original book." I mean, the last line of the movie is literally the exact opposite of what Moses actually said to Joshua...

"Go free those people!"
    "Go kill every man, woman, and child of those people!"

Hm. I think I just figured out why so many religious people support the Iraq War.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    syndalis wrote: »

Somebody option this; now.
    The Gospel of Mark is actually sort of like that. It's mostly demonfighting.

Qingu on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    This seems strangely relevant to recent conversation in other threads. However, I have to recuse myself from this line of conversation due to exhaustion.

Until later review, I'll tentatively agree with the thread title on the grounds that it is "Religion ruins _____" and that is statistically accurate.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Those other movies could have been religious! They could have had Athena and Zeus and shit in Troy.

Also, for a religious movie, Ten Commandments sure did violence to the "original book." I mean, the last line of the movie is literally the exact opposite of what Moses actually said to Joshua...

"Go free those people!"
    "Go kill every man, woman, and child of those people!"

Hm. I think I just figured out why so many religious people support the Iraq War.

It's no different than a movie about the Founding Fathers which omits the whole slavery issue.

Also Troy itself is the exception to the rule, look at movies like Jason and the Argonauts or Clash of the Titans.

My guess as to why they left Greek Gods out of Troy is because they wanted more of an action film instead.

Kagera on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

Not like Pirates of the Caribbean's grim and totally accurate portrayal of 18th century piracy, right?

LadyM on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2008
    I'd say it's about as likely that Moses existed as Sargon of Akkad. Sargon of Akkad was also floated down a river in a reed basket and had magical powers.

On a scale of "how likely did someone sort of like them actually exist," here's my spectrum:

• Alexander the Great
    • Jesus
    • Sargon of Akkad
    • Moses
    • Gilgamesh
    • King Rama
    • Adam
    I think you are vastly underestimating the integrity of "historical texts" during that period. Babylonian kings lists are ridiculous, claiming that some kings lived thousands of years and were descended from gods. Gilgamesh was considered to be a real, historical king, who traveled to the edge of the world and threw a bull's thigh in the face of a goddess. Even Greek and Roman histories were frought with miracle stories (try reading Josephus, for example, who says an army appeared in the clouds with chariots and armor before the destruction of the Judean temple). So, it's not like there were many skeptical historical critics following around the authors of Exodus going "that didn't happen!"

Secondly, the Bible was not written down during the time of Moses. Most scholars believe it was written from around 900 to 400 B.C., with earlier oral versions of the stories getting passed down and modified into written form (which was also modified). Exodus is not an "eyewitness perspective" anymore than the Ramayana is (neither are the gospels, for that matter, though they were written closer to the events they described.)

So yes, a cult around a real Egyptian exile figure named Moses could have easily arose in ancient Egypt, and its story would have mutated through 5-10 centuries before getting written down in Exodus.

Jewish scholars can't really agree whether the Torah says it was itself given to Moses or just the commandments. Similarly, the movie you're sighting seems to have deviated from what's actually said in the Torah, so it's clearly their conception from popular culture that shaped the movie. At the same time, you seem to be conflating traditional slavery, which was probably a mix of POW, chain gang, and indentured servant, with American slavery.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    LadyM wrote: »

Not like Pirates of the Caribbean's grim and totally accurate portrayal of 18th century piracy, right?

Pirates are like the GOOD GUYS and the East India Company are the Bad Guys because the EIC wants to stop piracy.....

WHAT????

Kagera on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2008
    Alternately:

PBF209-Now_Showing.jpg

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Also, a movie about Troy without gods involved? And you were complaining about Ten Commandments twisting the original material?
    I was more interested in how Ten Commandments so radically altered the moral message of the original story.

I actually thought Troy was an interesting interpretation of the Iliad because it managed to communicate many of the same moral positions of the ancient Greeks and Trojans. In the Iliad, neither side was "good," and the war was both glorious and tragic. Achilles' major flaw was his hubris in both movie and book, and the filmmakers didn't add any sweeping, unrelated, transparent moral pronouncements like "ABORTION IS OKAY!" to the story.

The Ten Commandments, on the other hand, added "SLAVERY IS BAD" and "SPREAD FREEDOM!" to a story about a group of people who went on to enslave and commit genocide based on the commandments of their god. That bothered me. It "sanitized" the Biblical story, making it morally palatable in a way that Troy didn't do with the Iliad.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It "sanitized" the Biblical story, making it morally palatable in a way that Troy didn't do with the Iliad.

Four words.

Gone with the Wind.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Jewish scholars can't really agree whether the Torah says it was itself given to Moses or just the commandments.
    But Jewish scholars are full of shit—the Torah as written was "given" to exactly nobody.

No offense to any Jewish scholars.
    Similarly, the movie you're sighting seems to have deviated from what's actually said in the Torah, so it's clearly their conception from popular culture that shaped the movie.
    Is true—that's really a separate point I was making in the OP.
    At the same time, you seem to be conflating traditional slavery, which was probably a mix of POW, chain gang, and indentured servant, with American slavery.
    I hear this a lot from Christians attempting to defend Biblical slavery.

Apart from the racial element, I fail to see what meaningfully distinguishes American slavery from ancient Hebrew slavery. While Hebrew slaves were set free after a period of 7 years, foreign slaves were not. Hebrews were legally allowed to beat their slaves as much as the Romans beat Jesus before they crucified him. Killing one's slave was wrong, but was not considered "murder" (murder is a capital punishment, killing a slave is not). Also, there was a racial element to some extent, or at least a tribal element, since most slaves were probably acquired in war or bought from foreigners.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    It "sanitized" the Biblical story, making it morally palatable in a way that Troy didn't do with the Iliad.

Four words.

Gone with the Wind.
    I admit: I have never seen this movie.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I was more interested in how Ten Commandments so radically altered the moral message of the original story.
    Okay—these movies were historically inaccurate, but not to the same extent that Ten Commandments was. Troy, for example, did not feature gods going into the battlefield and pulling Achilles away from combat by his hair.
    they make movies like The Ten Commandments (which themselves freely twist the story as much as the story probably twists the real history—a twist of a twist).

Richy on
    sig.gif