As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overlord 2: The Seal Cub Clubbing Club (trailer in op, Demo on XBL, PSN and PC)

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    Ganluan wrote: »
    I usually just stuck with a mix of browns and greens. Send in the browns to distract, then send in greens to annihilate.

Browns all the way. I dealt with those water snake/dragon things by throwing waves of bodies at them... I had spares...
    I tend to deal with them by sending in one Brown, wait for the thing to snap, withdrawing the Brown in time and then step in myself to beat it in the head. The snake can't hurt you, so why waste your minions on it?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ...so why waste your minions on it?

Why not? o_O:twisted:

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Because then you won't have quite such a ludicrously large horde to casually throw into the burning fires of the smelting ovens to increase your own power. Obviously.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    how do you make just one brown move without moving all of them?

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    mxmarks wrote: »
    how do you make just one brown move without moving all of them?
    I use that... what's it called... waypoint banner thing... assign one Brown to it, then move it.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I just grabbed the first Overlord for PC. I feel silly about having missed it back when it came out. It looks like great fun.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Because then you won't have quite such a ludicrously large horde to casually throw into the burning fires of the smelting ovens to increase your own power. Obviously.

My armory never suffered, despite my blunt methods. I may have had a large and monsterous hammer, but I still felt like I was doing something wrong if I actualy had to use it.

Strikerkc on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ganluan wrote: »
    I usually just stuck with a mix of browns and greens. Send in the browns to distract, then send in greens to annihilate.

Browns all the way. I dealt with those water snake/dragon things by throwing waves of bodies at them... I had spares...
    I tend to deal with them by sending in one Brown, wait for the thing to snap, withdrawing the Brown in time and then step in myself to beat it in the head. The snake can't hurt you, so why waste your minions on it?
    I did a variation of this...only I fight dirtier.

Step 1: 1 brown to control

Step 2: Everything else Green. Marshalled at a waypoint (and therefore invisible) riiiiiiiiight by where the snake will strike.

Step 3: Sweep single brown right in front of pile o' greens. Snake devours him.

Step 4: Your whole army swarms his ugly head and stabs him to death in the face. Very, very quickly.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I sent an e-mail to Codemasters concerning the fact that you can't get Raising Hell on Steam, and I got this as a reply:
    I'm afraid there are no plans to release Raising Hell on steam at the current moment in time, however this does not rule out the option in the future.

Our most recent games have been released on steam, so it is likely for Overlord 2, we can't however guarantee this.

Definitely going to get this in retail.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The demo for the original game was OK, but didn't impress me enough to put money down on the game. I eventually rented it after hearing so much about it from other people, and didn't regret it. I think I stopped playing somewhere in the dwarven castle, satisfied that I had wrung all the fun I could out of the game.

Anyway, cut to now, I download the demo for Overlord 2 just for shits and giggles, and hot damn was it fun. So much destruction! And wolves! And seal clubbing! This already feels like a much more indulgent and entertaining game than the first.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you haven't played Raising Hell for the first Overlord, you're missing out. Raising Hell is overall much more inventive than the majority of the main game, with your minion useage being a little less straight forward. Overall a lot of fun.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    If you haven't played Raising Hell for the first Overlord, you're missing out. Raising Hell is overall much more inventive than the majority of the main game, with your minion useage being a little less straight forward. Overall a lot of fun.

To be fair, I bought my copy of Overlord on Steam. But that will soon be rectified as I'm getting a retail copy from Goozex.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The problem with blues is that most of the game was never set up for them...

For them to be effective, it had to be a long, sustained battle where you can set them up somewhere they won't be massacred at. However, with the possible exception of your Dungeon, 99% of you battles were either done quickly (which required only 2-5 blues for cleanup) or were boss battles, and there was no safe area for them to sit back and play medic.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Well, it does also look like the enemy may start employing tactics within these battles, and they look to be on a much larger scale than the simple brawls of the last game, so they might see some use in this game. Especially considering how many minion you seem to lose if you just charge head on into a phanalax of roman infantry.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The biggest problem with the blues was that they were designed entirely around the idea that you'd find it useful to resurrect your minions. You know, the cannon fodder the game provides you in multitudes so that you can gleefully boil them alive by the hundreds just for shits and grins.

The serve an entirely useless purpose, because no one gives a shit that they lost a minion - you've got hundreds more anyway, and the game knows that and revels in it. The blues just needed something else on top of that to make themselves useful; support magic like buffs or status effects on enemies would have made them at least have a purpose. Instead the devs just decide to force you to use them by making all of your other mans drown instantaneously in 3 inches of water.

So in conclusion, fuck Blues.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I should be able to use the corpses of my browns as bridges.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    The biggest problem with the blues was that they were designed entirely around the idea that you'd find it useful to resurrect your minions. You know, the cannon fodder the game provides you in multitudes so that you can gleefully boil them alive by the hundreds just for shits and grins.

The serve an entirely useless purpose, because no one gives a shit that they lost a minion - you've got hundreds more anyway, and the game knows that and revels in it. The blues just needed something else on top of that to make themselves useful; support magic like buffs or status effects on enemies would have made them at least have a purpose. Instead the devs just decide to force you to use them by making all of your other mans drown instantaneously in 3 inches of water.

So in conclusion, fuck Blues.

Except that you're not always convienantly located right next to a minion node, so having the ability to keep your minion numbers from atrophying while being denied access to mounds is handy.

Not terribly handy, but they have a use.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    PowerslavePowerslave Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

Now I'm going to be disappointed if there is no ability to make minion chain-bridges.

Powerslave on
    "Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Couscous wrote: »

There definitely needs to be more perverse and morbid uses for minions. Have hundreds of them jump off into a crevasse to fill it up so you may safely walk over it. Make them throw themselves face-first onto hot coals so you don't have to burn your feet. Make them bash their brains out against locked doors until you get through. Get them to leap into piranha infested lakes until all the carnivorous fish are too fat and lazy to go after you. Use them as ammunition in crossbows and siege weaponry.

Etc.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Only one brown survived my fight against the halfling boss, so he was decked out with the poker and hat of that lardy dude, he looked really cool. I wish I had a blue with me all the time so I could have kept him alive.

t Lalabox: <3 Spirou & Fantasio!

Aldo on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Blues would have been so much more useful if they had been able to ressurect from a distance, instead of having to run straight into whatever meatgrinder I've sent my greens and browns into.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Aldo wrote: »
    t Lalabox: <3 Spirou & Fantasio!

I'm so glad that someone got it. It is a terrifically brilliant and terribly unknown BD.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just realised that I own the first one for PC and never installed it.
    Seems like something I would have done by now.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Game comes out/ships tomorrow, are you ready to be evil?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pre-ordered mine on Amazon, should come Thursday.

I will enslave everyone.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »

I will enslave everyone.

Even Santa Claus?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I will enslave everyone.

Even Santa Claus?

Especially Santa Claus.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I will enslave everyone.

Even Santa Claus?

Especially Santa Claus.

Of course, there isn't much that could be more evil...

Anyway, the Wii and DS games (which are different games, not ports of Overlord 2) come out this week as well, on the fence as to when I'm getting them, anyone else planning on picking those up?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does this game has better pathfinding?
    I kept getting LOST running like a wild goose on Overlord 1.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dis wrote: »

I think it has a little Fable-style mini map in the HUD, something that I was wishing was in the first.

Pooch on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pooch wrote: »
    Dis wrote: »

I think it has a little Fable-style mini map in the HUD, something that I was wishing was in the first.

The PS3 was the first to get the mini map in it's Overlord: Raising Hell edition of the game, in addition to the expansion material.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ZombieSheepZombieSheep Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Took a quick look at the preview materials, seems fun, but I wish you can lord over creatures of bigger size, what's a evil army without the rare doom beasts among it's ranks.

by the way, does anybody know the reason for the price difference between the PC and the console versions?

ZombieSheep on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's never really an evil army anyway, more of an evil platoon.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Eurogamer has a review up.
    Good score, and I'm looking forward to getting this on Friday. (Are any of the UK stores doing special editions/pre-order offers? I'd like a minion figurine)

Hey, that first screenshot has a familiar caption though...

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alright, it got a good score. Now get out there and buy this game, NOW. Laws of time and space should not concern you.

Also, they stole the thread title. bikkibikkibo, you should be proud to have thought up of it.

Greater musings will follow after I've finished cooking dinner.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Still dont feel comfortable fighting romans. Not at all. I hope it isnt mandetory.

Oh and you should always have three to five blues with you to ensure the rest of your minions had optimal gear.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Still dont feel comfortable fighting romans. Not at all. I hope it isnt mandetory.

How are they going to make fighting the main enemy optional?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    How can you pass up a chance to fight the Romans?
    Have you never read Asterix?

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Just played the demo and found it enjoyable. I played OL1 but stopped midway through for whatever reason. This game may be a good LP.

Lux782 on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Oh and you should always have three to five blues with you to ensure the rest of your minions had optimal gear.
    Man, I'm going to fuck up their day so badly that they'll wish that they had been manhandled by Asterix and Obelix instead.

Silpheed on