As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Overlord 2: The Seal Cub Clubbing Club (trailer in op, Demo on XBL, PSN and PC)

• StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That's basically how I did it, keep enough of the reds, greens, and blues to act as a utility tool for clearing the way or flipping a special switch, then bludgeon my way through combat with mass browns.

Strikerkc on
  • weeskweeweeskwee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hmm, maybe i missed it being mentioned...

is the wii version different than the 360/ps3 version?

if they are totally different, i'll get it. if it's basically the same game but with wii controls i'll stick with my 360 version.

weeskwee on
    Nintendo Network ID: weeskwee
    XBL Gamertag: weeskwee
    PSN: weeskwee
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    weeskwee wrote: »

if they are totally different, i'll get it. if it's basically the same game but with wii controls i'll stick with my 360 version.

Entirely different game.

Xagarath on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks guys. It took me forever to figure out the puzzle-ish thing in Heaven's whatever...
    The brown spawn point right in the middle of water. After looking everywhere by MYSELF and clearning out almost the entire level (I left the blues behind, knowing they would die when I met the zombies across the way), searching for a way to drain the pool, I realized I could spawn them, let them drown, and send a blue to bring the body to shore and revive.

It was pretty neat, and from that point on it's been awesome.

I'm realizing a lot more that you have to depend on the "swarm/recall/swarm" technique. Hit 'em hard, then when they show they're about to strike hold down B to call 'em all back (I hate getting used to the fact that using the analog stick, once you run them into something - a barrel, an enemy, a sheep, whatever - they will NOT come back unless you hit B, it dies, or they die.) and then swarm again.

I also have finally been playing well enough that I have a couple really awesomely decked out minions, and I get way too sad when they die. When they were all generic they could die off and I didn't give a shit. Now I am so afraid everytime I send Mr. Pumpkinface into battle.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    weeskwee wrote: »

Entirely different game.

It's a prequel to the first one.

urahonky on
  • Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just got to the part were you get greens and the possession thing there was awesome. I really enjoyed it.

Lux782 on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just want everyone to know when they get this game.

This case is the worst. By which I mean the thing holding the DVD in place.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Imperius wrote: »
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/997/997929p1.html

Has anyone seen the IGN review yet? I know IGN isn't very popular on this site, but the claims he makes are odd enough to note.

First off, it's by the same guy who reviewed the first game. He didn't like that one either. So he might be biased against it. Secondly, he criticises the game for not having anyone online, despite the fact that it just came out.

But his gameplay considerations stick out the most, and I haven't heard any of thesefrom any other reviewer.

1. He calls the catapult, boat, and minion possession set pieces "boring."
    2. He accuses the game of being more linear, and lacking in exploration.
    3. He says that the game has fewer puzzles than the first and more boring, repetitive action.
    4. He says it's ultimately less epic.

This is pretty much the opposite of my experience so far. I'm near the end of the game now and I feel like I'm doing a lot less "hack 'n slash my way to every solution" than I did in Overlord 1. I like the set pieces personally, the minion possession does a lot to break up standard fightin'. Cruising around with a boat loaded with reds fireballing everything to death was pretty entertaining too.

As for epic...well, I'll say this. Playing Overlord 2 has highlighted the fact that the world of Overlord 1 seemed like it was pretty much waiting to roll over and die for you. It was oblivious to the Overlord and didn't put up any active defense. In Overlord 2, the Glorious Empire actively seeks you out and at several points ambushes you, putting you on the back foot. I like that. It really makes the game feel more like a conquest and a war.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Any advice for how you guys just generally use your blues and minions in general - referring to Overlord 1?

I'm in heaven's peak, so I have all my minions, and I just still am having a lot of trouble managing them. I can have 25 minions, and I usually split it 10 browns, 5 green, 5 red, 5 blue. In my encounters with just the random enemy type in Heaven's peak, I 'throw browns at it' which normally works, but all goes to hell when a couple die. It's at that point I either go in and fight as The Overlord, and get my reds and blues who are walking with me killed, or they get killed while I stand there and try to delegate.

Its also super frusterating to have browns that are leveld up (wearing cool shit) die, and have FIVE BLUES standing next to me, but not doing a damn thing to help. Even in little encounters, do you guys first send blues out to the side so maybe they'll actually try and do something?

And is there a way to send two units at once? I'd love the blues and reds to hang back by me, because they're weak, and send Greens and Browns in together at once most of the time.

To be honest, you're better off ditching reds and blues for most of the game. A team of 15 Browns and 10 Greens fully kitted up will be worlds more efficient and die far less than the team you've got running now.

When you upgrade to 30 minion capacity though sure throw in 5 blues. Never more though, it's pointless really.

Lies.

I'm at the same point, and I take a pile of browns and reds (10/10) and 5 greens. Leave the greens guarding your back, pile the browns forward, and let the reds fuck shit up with massed fireballs. If you can find high ground overlooking a choke point (which happens with ridiculous frequency) you can just reem even big groups if you pull them back into your forces yourself.
    Your way works too. But I like BBQ, so I'll keep doing it my way.

JihadJesus on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/997/997929p1.html

Has anyone seen the IGN review yet? I know IGN isn't very popular on this site, but the claims he makes are odd enough to note.

First off, it's by the same guy who reviewed the first game. He didn't like that one either. So he might be biased against it. Secondly, he criticises the game for not having anyone online, despite the fact that it just came out.

But his gameplay considerations stick out the most, and I haven't heard any of thesefrom any other reviewer.

3. He says that the game has fewer puzzles than the first and more boring, repetitive action.

This is pretty much the opposite of my experience so far. I'm near the end of the game now and I feel like I'm doing a lot less "hack 'n slash my way to every solution" than I did in Overlord 1. I like the set pieces personally, the minion possession does a lot to break up standard fightin'. Cruising around with a boat loaded with reds fireballing everything to death was pretty entertaining too.

As for epic...well, I'll say this. Playing Overlord 2 has highlighted the fact that the world of Overlord 1 seemed like it was pretty much waiting to roll over and die for you. It was oblivious to the Overlord and didn't put up any active defense. In Overlord 2, the Glorious Empire actively seeks you out and at several points ambushes you, putting you on the back foot. I like that. It really makes the game feel more like a conquest and a war.

It seems like that the what the developers were going for. The game world has had time to grow stronger in the absence of a great evil. Since there was nothing to beat the more aggressive people down, they started an empire.

Krathoon on
    edited June 2009
    Question about Borius
    Do I just use my evil presence on him to enslave him? I don't want to accidentally kill him and not get 100% enslavement

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2009
    KingMole wrote: »
    Question about Borius
    Do I just use my evil presence on him to enslave him? I don't want to accidentally kill him and not get 100% enslavement

Yes. Just keep using the spell on him and the statue should inexplicably explode. I pussy footed around on that a lot too since it didn't seem to be doing anything at first.

Fiaryn on
  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ahem. Maybe I'm terrible at this, but screw the bit after the spiders.

Speed puzzle from hell that finally just frustrated me into quitting for a bit.

kildy on
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's Pikmin + Ultraviolence. I love it!

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
    edited June 2009
    New "I'm stuck" question

has to do with sea mines
    How do I get rid of that blockade of the elves' boat and sea mines? I tried throwing a wrath charged minion at it, but apparently the Overlord throws like a girl, and the minion drowned before doing any good (or should I say harm?).

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • kalkal Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    New "I'm stuck" question

has to do with sea mines
    How do I get rid of that blockade of the elves' boat and sea mines? I tried throwing a wrath charged minion at it, but apparently the Overlord throws like a girl, and the minion drowned before doing any good (or should I say harm?).
    this is after you just get the boat correct? if so you have to dock the boat at the little dock on the left just before the blockade and then get off. i'll let you figure out the rest since it's pretty funny how it ends up.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    kal wrote: »
    New "I'm stuck" question

has to do with sea mines
    this is after you just get the boat correct? if so you have to dock the boat at the little dock on the left just before the blockade and then get off. i'll let you figure out the rest since it's pretty funny how it ends up.
    That doesn't help me at all, as I've already docked and then dicked around trying to figure out what to do.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2009
    New "I'm stuck" question

has to do with sea mines
    That doesn't help me at all, as I've already docked and then dicked around trying to figure out what to do.
    you have to chase the baby seals on the little island into the water.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    New "I'm stuck" question

has to do with sea mines
    Huh. I don't think I've seen any baby seals.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2009
    New "I'm stuck" question

has to do with sea mines
    Huh. I don't think I've seen any baby seals.
    they should be on a little island close to the blockade .once you get off the ship and kill the elves just keep following the area around and they should be there. you just walk over to them and they run into the water.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    I had to leave and come back, but they appeared. Thanks.

(that quote tree was getting stupid long)

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Lux782Lux782 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just fought spider. I am not sure why people had trouble with the battle I found it fairly straight forward. I did enjoy it but didn't feel threatened. I remember the boss for the halflings in Overlord 1 scared me because he killed me so many times however this spider boss just took some thinking, no brute force.

Lux782 on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goddamn do I love the new Tower in this game. Its so badass compared to Overlord 1.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
    edited June 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    I just fought spider. I am not sure why people had trouble with the battle I found it fairly straight forward. I did enjoy it but didn't feel threatened. I remember the boss for the halflings in Overlord 1 scared me because he killed me so many times

...Seriously? Perhaps you're thinking of the king of the dwarves because Melvin the Halfling is as completely unthreatening as they come. Even if he rolls into the Overlord himself as a direct hit he does barely any damage.

On another note: Oh my god Salamanders are awesome. It is like having flamethrower wielding minions on motorcycles.

Fiaryn on
  • ImperiusImperius __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    mastrius wrote: »
    Goddamn do I love the new Tower in this game. Its so badass compared to Overlord 1.

Hanging out at the tower was my favorite little thing to do in the first game. What kinds of cool upgrades are there? Is there still a pile gold that grows bigger the more you get? Is there an arena? How does the forging system work?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I just loved how every tower object in the first game was visible in the tower. It made everything feel so real.

Imperius on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just completed the game. First of all I would like to say I like the game. The boss fights are pretty good and fun. However, I think I enjoyed the original more when I played it. More rants on the game and the IGN review:
    This is somewhat true. The catapult is probably the one used the most and is deeply satisfying when you hit a legion, only because it is usually very hard to kill them without wolves. Its implementation was probably the best out of the 3. I totally disliked the boat because it was harder to steer than the raft. Also, the only action it got was in the Everlight lagoon. I didn't see why they couldn't put in more naval battles especially for the trip into Empire Harbor.
    As for minion possession, it really isn't that much different from normal gameplay; You lose your powers and become smaller? Yep thats about it. There are, what, 3 (memorable) instances where you possess a minion? Everlight town in order to open gates (yawn), control greens to get their hive(kinda too long and its not much stealth gameplay i think they were trying to get at) and the catapult capture (probably the most ideal imo). I think there was more that could have been done to make the possession experience a little funnier and special.

The game is both linear and not. In the original, you might find yourself wandering about because of the lack of a map. Now that you have one, objectives are placed in a nice order to complete, which is a good thing. Alternate paths and more places to explore / gain power ups would have been good. The only power I had to go out of my way to get is the Halo spell and it was because I missed it somehow. The lack of direction in some cases makes the game not linear and it totally destroys the effort to put in a map.

I think he's got this totally reversed. I would have liked some more straight up bashing in this sequel. You end up battling either the giants or the legion towards the end, which takes the fun out of swarming with your horde because you have to figure out to take them out. More on enemies later.

Yes, but I think it has much to do with the story. The last boss is meh compared to the last boss of OL1 in terms of epic battles AND character development.

The lack of weak zombie enemies is probably my biggest disappointment. You know, something that you can crush easily with your horde but if you are distracted would tear you apart. The reviewer did mention the issue of the lack of strategic gameplay. Instead, we get some frustrating enemies:
    Grenade Archers -Not to be mistaken with grenadiers. The worst of the worst that appear at the end level, you don't notice until your health goes all the way down or if you can hear their projectiles on your armor in time. Some animation might be nice.
    Grenadiers - Really annoying. Sometimes they bug out and their grenades get stuck on some invisible wall. They discourage the use of minions, which is horrible in a game where you'd want to use them.
    Legionnaires - At first I thought it was a nice attempt to add some strategic play but it seems to frustrate me more than not. AFAIK, only wolves can break formation and there are too many times when you have no wolves but legions with no commander either. Its either that or I'm having trouble breaking legions with spiders or salamanders. While on topic of mounts, wolves are probably of the most use. The other two don't seem to have any practical use other than in their gimmick puzzles or worse, for salamanders, when they blow up in your face.
    Giants - These aren't your rock giants and they don't seem as satisfying to kill either. They are more troublesome only if you have no wall to bait them towards.
    Bosses in this game are probably the best designed.

Minions aren't really that different from the last time either. I kinda feared this when they were showing off the game at E3 when the interviewer was asking "So whats new with the minions" and the dev totally missed the question by talking about the minion spell. I didn't expect reds and browns to change much but they did mention that greens would backstab automatically. Not the case. Blues just had more puzzle solving abilities and not much improved brawling ones. Could have tacked on the blink ability when they try reviving comrades.

Lastly, spells aren't that useful. Its nice that 3 spells are actually 6 but are they any improvement from the 12 in the original? Not quite. The target spell has a knockback that doesn't work on the enemy that most requires knockback: Legions. The secondary ability is pretty much like flamethrower, so thats good. The minion spell is just there to make up for the removal of shrines. Also, the alt ability is somewhat odd especially when the game inspires you to give more care about individual minions. I didn't max this spell but it seems that it doesn't do much damage either. The halo spell is nice except that the way to activate it on the PC is a+d while you are charging ur lazer. Most of the time I end up just shooting bolts of lightning trying to get the spell working.

In conclusion, although it is better in some ways compared to the original, there are still many things that could be improved.

Oh yar, and dominance vs destruction doesn't matter.

/rant

@kildy: Lucky there's only one of that. The only problem I have with that is that your greens try to jump back onto the platform if you sweep too low. If the platform drops while they do that, they go squish. That should not happen at all.

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    edited June 2009
    mastrius wrote: »

Hanging out at the tower was my favorite little thing to do in the first game. What kinds of cool upgrades are there? Is there still a pile gold that grows bigger the more you get? Is there an arena? How does the forging system work?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I just loved how every tower object in the first game was visible in the tower. It made everything feel so real.

You just reminded me of more to rant on :(. There's actually less gold to be had in this game. If I'm not wrong, in the original, I was able to upgrade stuff without having to reload levels to farm gold. Now, not so much. You get to choose which mistress is your first mistress and that changes the design choices you have for your tower. The arena is gone, I missed it. As you travel through the lands, you get forge stones that unlock weapons/ armors for you. These items require minions, gold and 2 different jewels, one of which is limited by the number you can find. Personally I prefer the original's forging process because there is much more freedom of choice.

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
    edited June 2009
    ok for the people that have been through everlight jungle. after your ship gets destroyed and your minions get cocooned you have to find 10 of them. i got 7 of them up until the netherworld gate part and after fighting the elf female. did i miss 3 or are they further on?i though i looked everywhere i could so i just wanna make sure i didn't miss them.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    ok for the people that have been through everlight jungle. after your ship gets destroyed and your minions get cocooned you have to find 10 of them. i got 7 of them up until the netherworld gate part and after fighting the elf female. did i miss 3 or are they further on?i though i looked everywhere i could so i just wanna make sure i didn't miss them.

In your quest menu, highlight the relevant quest. It'll show where they are on the map.

Fiaryn on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lux782 wrote: »
    I just fought spider. I am not sure why people had trouble with the battle I found it fairly straight forward. I did enjoy it but didn't feel threatened. I remember the boss for the halflings in Overlord 1 scared me because he killed me so many times

...Seriously? Perhaps you're thinking of the king of the dwarves because Melvin the Halfling is as completely unthreatening as they come. Even if he rolls into the Overlord himself as a direct hit he does barely any damage.

On another note: Oh my god Salamanders are awesome. It is like having flamethrower wielding minions on motorcycles.

Christ i hated the dwarves in Overlord 1, the standard ones were no biggy, but the flame throwers were just obscene, you didn't have enough fine control over the browns to pull them out in time when he started to charge up for a blast and nobody in their right mind ran with a big enough contingent of reds to take the pricks down in time.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2009
    Christ i hated the dwarves in Overlord 1, the standard ones were no biggy, but the flame throwers were just obscene, you didn't have enough fine control over the browns to pull them out in time when he started to charge up for a blast and nobody in their right mind ran with a big enough contingent of reds to take the pricks down in time.

Actually, I think they are immune to fire as well. The mass red army is pretty good fun in the original once you get the best armor in the game to tank for your minions.

UrQuanLord88 on
    urquanlord88.png
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sactuary spoilers
    I just finished it and recognized the lady that brings the cavern down as one of the mistresses. Did I just totally goof up my chance of 100% enslavement or my chance at gettting her as a mistress?

Also, does choosing corruption or destruction affect the game in any way? Like does your tower change or you get different endings or anything like that?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited June 2009
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Sactuary spoilers
    I just finished it and recognized the lady that brings the cavern down as one of the mistresses. Did I just totally goof up my chance of 100% enslavement or my chance at gettting her as a mistress?

Also, does choosing corruption or destruction affect the game in any way? Like does your tower change or you get different endings or anything like that?

Domination or Destruction. ;-) and no so far it hasn't really affected anything but how my spells work. Not sure about endings.

As for Fay...
    You're fine. You'll encounter her several more times. You don't get her as a mistress till near the end of the game. When the time comes, you'll probably think to yourself "I see where this is going".

Fiaryn on
  • tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kinda odd this game isnt getting more attention.

I just finished
    the stealth section at the beginning of getting to everlight with the greens, and man was that cool. At first I was like "oh god a forced stealth section" but it was really well done and enjoyable.

The tower is a lot more badass than in the first game, too. I enjoy it quite a bit.

tehkensai on
    jAhPU.jpg
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    tehkensai wrote: »
    Kinda odd this game isnt getting more attention.

I just finished
    the stealth section at the beginning of getting to everlight with the greens, and man was that cool. At first I was like "oh god a forced stealth section" but it was really well done and enjoyable.

The tower is a lot more badass than in the first game, too. I enjoy it quite a bit.

Yeah, well basically people suck. Its saddening. The Overlord games kick some ass and no one has picked up on them, theyre like a cult classic in videogaming now. And Overlord 2 has only been out for a few days. Its crazyness. I hope it does good though, Id love to see them try Overlord 3 and improve upon a few things, (maybe add some co-op evil?) I can hope...

I mean the game is great, dont get me wrong, theres just a couple things Id like imrpoved and if they could do that then the game would be super awesome great. But as of now it stands at "A friggin awesome buy." and is well worth it to me.

Edit: oh and yes, I know, I said the same thing above, the tower kicks ass.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Actually, I think they are immune to fire as well. The mass red army is pretty good fun in the original once you get the best armor in the game to tank for your minions.

That's why I used them. I'd put reds on a guard marker next to flamethrowers and let them was an attack on them, then I'd come in with everyone else.

Was I the only one to always have all types of minions with me?

I had 20 browns, 10 greens, 10 reds, 10 blues. I hardly ever lost minions and I always had the right tools for the job. It's not like you need more than 20 browns anyway.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Korlash wrote: »

That's why I used them. I'd put reds on a guard marker next to flamethrowers and let them was an attack on them, then I'd come in with everyone else.

I had 20 browns, 10 greens, 10 reds, 10 blues. I hardly ever lost minions and I always had the right tools for the job. It's not like you need more than 20 browns anyway.

Yeah, I always had all types with me at all times. And I don't understand the hate for the blue guys. Why exactly are they so bad?

Pooch on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pooch wrote: »
    Korlash wrote: »

Yeah, I always had all types with me at all times. And I don't understand the hate for the blue guys. Why exactly are they so bad?

Because they die when someone breathes on them and they are ultimately useless. :P

urahonky on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    All right, guys, I need some guidance:

I know I'm going to get this, because I enjoyed the first on Xbox 360 and PC. Now, which version do I go with?

On Amazon, the PC version is twenty dollars less. On the other hand, split-screen is a pain on a 22" Acer LCD, versus my 37" LG HDTV. Keeping in mind I am something of a meiser, which way should I go?

Synthesis on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Synthesis wrote: »
    All right, guys, I need some guidance:

I know I'm going to get this, because I enjoyed the first on Xbox 360 and PC. Now, which version do I go with?

On Amazon, the PC version is twenty dollars less. On the other hand, split-screen is a pain on a 22" Acer LCD, versus my 37" LG HDTV. Keeping in mind I am something of a meiser, which way should I go?

I've only played the 360 version, but I'd advise getting the demos for both, then seeing how the controls compare. It also lets you know if you're going to have any issues running it on your PC.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.