As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Would I be crazy? (Trade advice?)

Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
Let's make this simple, should I trade:

Wii System
PS2 System (I have an extra one)
GTA IV
Soul Calibur IV
Dead Rising
Burnout Paradise
(All those games were for 360)

and get:

Nintendo DS System
World Ends With You
Phantom Hourglass
FFTA2
Yoshis Island 2
Maybe another DS game depending on price
Rock Band 2 and a Guitar for 360

Pros: I dont even own any games for the Wii except Wii Sports, and I can't find any in the coming months I even care about. It's also hooked up to my living room TV which is mostly monopolized by my wife and kids. The 4 360 games I'm considering trading I've beaten and have been warming the shelf for some time. I also don't own a handheld currently. Rock Band 2.

Cons: I may wish I still had a Wii when Nintendo releases a new Mario platformer or Zelda RPG. Whenever that may be. The DS may also see the same fate as the Wii, sitting on my desk, unplayed and unloved after a month or two. I'm not sure if that will be the case though, since I quit WoW.

I can't make decisions on my own. Help me.

Dr+Bongenstein.png
Grizzly_Addams on

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    put the wii on ebay just before/around christmas and you'll get much more value out of it than that

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Do you commute to work by bus or train? If so, you might fall in love with the DS, and I'd consider this a great trade (especially if "maybe another DS game" turns out to be "yes, another DS game").

EDIT: although yes you would get mad cash moneys for ebaying your Wii around the beginning of December

Captain K on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Well, it's going to be some time (years) before we see another one of those from Nintendo. If you're not interested in Disaster: Day of Crisis (I'm not) or Monster Hunter 3 (I am), then you can probably afford not to have a Wii right now.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Seems unbalanced. The Wii is worth much more than that right now and Yoshi's Island 2 isn't all that great. Plus I would advise you keep Paradise :)

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yeah if you remove the Wii it's a great trade. As it stands...eh.

Rent on
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Oooh yeah I forgot, didn't they just put out another huge patch for Burnout? And they're still talking about another huge patch down the road, right?

I think your best bet is probably to ebay your Wii stuff if you decide you don't want it anymore and just turn the cash into whatever games you specifically want to own.

Captain K on
  • Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Hrm I am interested in maintaining some semblance of value. So I'm thinking I'll just ditch the extra PS2 and some 360 games (keeping Burnout) and that would still get me my Rock Band 2 + Guitar and like $30 extra.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Cons: I may wish I still had a Wii when Nintendo releases a new Mario platformer or Zelda RPG. Whenever that may be. The DS may also see the same fate as the Wii, sitting on my desk, unplayed and unloved after a month or two. I'm not sure if that will be the case though, since I quit WoW.

I'm not quite sure I understand the problem here.. You say that your Wii has sat there, unloved after a month or two, and that you'd look forward to a new Zelda or Mario game. And yet, both of these are available for the system. Have you played through them both already? There is also Wario Shake it!, and a bunch of good Wiiware/virtual console stuff, if that matters to you at all. Believe it or not, there are actually some really worthwhile third party games for the system too, and I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by ignoring them simply by virtue of not being Nintendo.

There's a ton of stuff for the NDS, but I can't tell you whether or not you'd enjoy it unless you specify what your gaming tastes are more clearly.

slash000 on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Just curious, but is there any particular reason you don't have any Wii games?

Peewi on
  • Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

I'm not quite sure I understand the problem here.. You say that your Wii has sat there, unloved after a month or two, and that you'd look forward to a new Zelda or Mario game. And yet, both of these are available for the system. Have you played through them both already? There is also Wario Shake it!, and a bunch of good Wiiware/virtual console stuff, if that matters to you at all. Believe it or not, there are actually some really worthwhile third party games for the system too, and I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by ignoring them simply by virtue of not being Nintendo.

There's a ton of stuff for the NDS, but I can't tell you whether or not you'd enjoy it unless you specify what your gaming tastes are more clearly.

Yeah, Twilight Princess I beat Launch Week, and Mario Galaxy I got all 241 Stars. Smash Bros, Mario Kart, it all got played to death then sold them to a friend.

I just rented Wario Land: Shake It and loved the game. I'm a sucker for 2D Platformers especially with the collection goals for each stage (a la Super Princess Peach, New SMB, etc) but I barely got to play it during my rental duration, and barely get to play the Wii at all, like I said, since the TV it is hooked up to is almost constantly in use by my family.

My xbox 360 is hooked up to my computer monitor and it gets played everyday. If I could hook the wii up to VGA I wouldnt even have a problem. I do realize there is a Wii VGA cable available from a 3rd party, but i also understand that it doesnt do non-progressive scan output and I really would like to avoid the day that I can't play a game I want in my wii because I have it hooked up that way.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

Yeah, Twilight Princess I beat Launch Week, and Mario Galaxy I got all 241 Stars. Smash Bros, Mario Kart, it all got played to death then sold them to a friend.

I just rented Wario Land: Shake It and loved the game. I'm a sucker for 2D Platformers especially with the collection goals for each stage (a la Super Princess Peach, New SMB, etc) but I barely got to play it during my rental duration, and barely get to play the Wii at all, like I said, since the TV it is hooked up to is almost constantly in use by my family.

My xbox 360 is hooked up to my computer monitor and it gets played everyday. If I could hook the wii up to VGA I wouldnt even have a problem. I do realize there is a Wii VGA cable available from a 3rd party, but i also understand that it doesnt do non-progressive scan output and I really would like to avoid the day that I can't play a game I want in my wii because I have it hooked up that way.

Ooooooooooooh. Now that makes more sense.

Your problem is not that you don't play it, it's that you can't play it since it's hooked up to the family TV, which is often in use.

Well, you could get a TV converter box if you really wanted to play your Wii on a monitor. They make ones that will take almost any signal from composite/svid/component and output to a monitor, regardless of whether the input is progressive or not. Usually converter boxes don't introduce lag either. I have one that was about $80, and it not only takes everything from 480i/480p/720p/1080i, and outputs to my monitor at a variety of resolutions, it also has a built-in TV tuner, comes with a remote, and allows me to switch instantly between TV/input and my computer screen. But mine cost like $80, and I think that the Wii looks better on an SDTV or a proper hidef television than on a monitor... oh also monitors are 16x10 and not 16x9... poop.

Anyway, if you are finding yourself essentially unable to play more than 1 console due to whatever your constraints, then I think it's not a bad idea per se to sell one and get a handheld. Because a handheld won't restrict you to a television, will have different types of games, and it's portable.

Rock Band though. Would you be playing this on yoru monitor? Or in the family room on the family tv?

slash000 on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

That's exactly my situation. My Wii gets substantially less playtime from me because it's hooked up to the family TV and it's hard to get the TV to myself whereas my 360 is hooked up to a monitor in my bedroom so it's available 95% of the time (the other 5% being when my daughter or wife want to play a 360 game).

My DS gets more use than my Wii since I can use it on the bus, at the laundromat, or during my lunch break. I'm not sure that I would recommend the DS games you mentioned though. The two must-play DS games IMO are Professor Layton & the Curious Village, and Elite Beat Agents (TWEWY is probably there as well judging from everyone's reactions, but I haven't played it yet). Space Invaders Extreme also comes highly recommended.

RainbowDespair on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

That's exactly my situation. My Wii gets substantially less playtime from me because it's hooked up to the family TV and it's hard to get the TV to myself whereas my 360 is hooked up to a monitor in my bedroom so it's available 95% of the time (the other 5% being when my daughter or wife want to play a 360 game).

My DS gets more use than my Wii since I can use it on the bus, at the laundromat, or during my lunch break. I'm not sure that I would recommend the DS games you mentioned though. The two must-play DS games IMO are Professor Layton & the Curious Village, and Elite Beat Agents (TWEWY is probably there as well judging from everyone's reactions, but I haven't played it yet). Space Invaders Extreme also comes highly recommended.
    *glares eyes*
    Go to your local game store. Buy a copy of TWEWY. Sell a kidney if you have to.

Rent on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    just sell the extra ps2 and put it towards a DS, trade the other games on goozex for some DS games.

don't get rid of your wii especially if your wife and kids play it

troublebrewing on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    just sell the extra ps2 and put it towards a DS, trade the other games on goozex for some DS games.

If you have 4 crappy games, there's actually a fairly decent trade in deal at the moment:
    $100 for a PS2 + 4 games
    Which'll let you get a new DS lite for only 30

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I would say that if you wanted to deal with eBay & the like you could probably stretch your 'dollar' further here but on 'fun value' I, personally, would do the trade. Especially because dicking around with multiple transactions to optimize your deal will eat into both the fun & dollar values of taking that route.

fadingathedges on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    but he has a wii and wife and kids!!!

honestly I've heard no mention of if they play it but that would be my deciding factor. My kid (5 yr old boy) loves the wii and loves "forcing" (I really want to play) me to play games like mario kart and mario galaxy so he can tell me what to do so I couldn't picture getting rid of mine. My wife likes mario party and wii sports other than that I rock my xbox and PC a lot more than the wii but I guess the value seems similar.

troublebrewing on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

If you have 4 crappy games, there's actually a fairly decent trade in deal at the moment:
    $100 for a PS2 + 4 games
    Which'll let you get a new DS lite for only 30

Do this. With the PS2, 4 cheapo games and then the 360 games (which will give an extra $20 bonus with the current trade 2 get $10 extra deal) you'll have more than enough for the DS plus a couple of used games. Oh, it's buy 2 get 1 free on used stuff this weekend only too - so try to get the DS stuff used :)

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Considering there is a new revision of the DS on it's way right now, with a larger screen and an SD slot I'd hold off on any trades involving it.

Makes sense why the October 2nd conference is a global one.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    So wait

You have a wife and kids.

And a wii.

And it's not being used?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    As others have said, you can throw up your Wii/PS2/360 games/etc on eBay and get more than enough money to buy the stuff you'd be getting in return if you want to take the time.

Your hypothetical DS would NOT sit unused, I can almost guarantee you. The DS easily has one of the strongest libraries of any console or handheld ever. Especially if you like 2D platformers (which you say you do), RPGs, arcade-style games and point-and-click adventures.

On the other side of the coin, the DS' success is precisely why I'd be hesitant to recommend you sell your Wii. The DS had a tough first year or so before becoming such a shining beacon of concentrated awesome, and I'm hoping that the Wii will follow a similar pattern.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Sell the Wii. You can easily get $250 for it, since there is still a shortage of the things.

With $250 you can buy everything on that list, and keep your PS2 and 360 stuff. Or sell the PS2 and 360 stuff(on Ebay or craigslist, NOT to gamestop) and buy a DS.

Whatever you do, don't take that trade - you would be getting ripped off.

fallaxdraco on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Not trying to be a shill here, but all the non-slim PS2s I'm seeing online at ebay and such are only like $60

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png