As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Justice like lightning: Thunderbolts!

GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Graphic Violence
So apparently Thunderbolts is getting a new creative team.
I know that the current book has a shitload of die-hard fans, but I'm fucking stoked on this creative change.

Here's the text of the article:
We speculated yesterday, and today, Marvel has confirmed that indeed, Warren Ellis will be writing Thunderbolts, with Mike Deodato on art.

The new creative team will take over the series with issue #110 and will focus on the team’s new status quo spinning out of Civil War.

Marvel’s press release reads:

At the end of Civil War #4, the comics world saw the shocking formation of a brand-new team of Thunderbolts comprised of some of the most evil super-villains in the Marvel Universe. But these aren't the only new members of the team.

Starting with Thunderbolts #110, Warren Ellis (Ultimate Extinction, Nextwave) and Mike Deodato (New Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man) will be coming on board to tell the story of this all-new, all-deadly squad.

Venom, lethal protector! The enigmatic Moonstone! Bullseye, the man who never misses! Songbird, mistress of sound! Chen Lu, the Radioactive Man! Swordsman, master of the blade! The mystery man called Penance! And Norman Osborn, the Green Goblin! They're America's newest celebrities, ready to take to the skies at a moment's notice in pursuit of those secret, unregistered superhumans hiding among us!

They're the All-New, All-Deadly Thunderbolts —making the world a safer place for ordinary people one would-be costumed hero at a time! In the wake of Civil War, Warren Ellis and Mike Deodato present a dark and disturbing take on Marvel's most wanted, where the line between hero and villain is difficult to find—if it exists at all!

When New Avengers was launched, the first six issues had variant covers by each of the original Young Guns, leading to quick sellouts rarely seen in the industry. Now there is a new group of artists on the rise looking to make their mark on the next big thing: Thunderbolts! To commemorate this event, the first six issues of the Ellis/Deodato run will feature interlocking variant covers produced by the six Young Guns: Reloaded artists: Leinil Yu, Ariel Olivetti, Pasqual Ferry, Clayton Crain, Simone Bianchi & Billy Tan.

If you haven't already jumped onboard the wild ride of redemption that is Thunderbolts, you cannot afford to miss the start of an all-era of the T-bolts starting in Thunderbolts #110 as the super-star team of Warren Ellis and Mike Deodato take the helm.

And for fans of the classic Thunderbolts, Baron Zemo's story continues this February in an all-new limited series, Zemo: Born Better, written by Fabian Nicieza!

Look for more details here soon, including an interview with Joe Quesada. In the meantime, Newsarama was able to track down Civil War writer Mark Millar for his thoughts on the Thunderbolts new status quo and his role in it…

Newsarama: So Mark, the new Thunderbolts that were set up in Civil War #4 - was that all your idea that was seized upon by Marvel, or something that was suggested...or...??

Mark Millar: Well, when I said I'd write a summer crossover for Marvel I said from the start it was only worth doing if it meant I could use the series as a way of giving the line a make-over of sorts. I had an idea for a creator-owned book called “The Initiative” which featured a superhero or a super-team in every state, but decided it could be a nice template for the Marvel Universe too because, as a Scot, it had always struck me as a little weird that the East Coast had a disproportionate number of super-people.

This seemed like a good way of revamping lots of current characters and teams and Marvel were very open to this because they might have 4700 properties or whatever, but only a certain number of those are active. I had an idea for The Champions, I had an idea for a new Defenders book, I had a notion of a bunch of heroes fleeing to Canada to form a successor to Alpha Flight and so on, but just threw them all out there. These weren't worked up enormously within the series and the individual creators will bring their own identity to the books - which is as it should be.

My idea for Thunderbolts, very simply, was that it should employ the same strategy as New Avengers and JLA in that if we have a team, why not make it the A-Team in the sense that they're all recognizable names? Sure, these guys would be harder to control, but that also takes the story in interesting new directions. I really started to see the Marvel Universe in terms of pre and post-Civil War and the Thunderbolts line-up was one of the big changes.

I told everyone last year that books like Iron Man and Cap would go through the roof after Civil War too and nobody believed me, but wait and see. The tie-ins have been very interesting because a crossover tie-in usually bumps a book by 15%. These tie-ins are increasing sales by 100% and sometimes almost 200%. Fantastic Four is doing around 100K right now, which is just brilliant to see. People seem to be digging this and, as a freelancer, that's all you really want. Everyone's worked hard and it's nice to see it working out.

NRAMA: Did you have any say in the new creative team?

MM: No, I didn't get involved in picking a creative team at all. I'm just a freelancer and just threw out ideas for the books as they were. A lot of books were selling less than Marvel wanted and this was just my way of giving them a shot in the arm, sometimes with a team-change and sometimes without. Cap and Iron Man, regardless of who's been working on them, have been stuck with very middling sales of around 45K for the last five years and we know they should be selling more.

Civil War will give those books that opportunity as the line gets a revamp company wide. Thunderbolts was always planned to be the same, just giving them a post-Civil War line-up to help sales and take the book in a new direction. I only found out a month or two back that Warren was on-board. This was a surprise as I know he prefers doing his own thing, but he'll be great for the book.

Who else could be better at writing a team of super-villains than that cantankerous old English bastard?!

NRAMA: That said, did you leave any plot ideas for the team as it will be when Warren and Mike pick the book up?

MM: Nothing at all. My only recommendation was the stuff I set up in Civil War where Tony's crew put together this new secret team of super-villains to help out in impossible situations. Obviously, the public would go ape-shit if they found out Bullseye was on a super-team, but these guys are top secret and as Stark explains are an incredible resource for a short-term problem. I think it would be a fun book to write and think, given the cast of characters and the creative team, that this book should do 100K.

NRAMA: Okay Mark, just one final question - is the T-bolts team we see in Civil War #4 the T-Bolts team that Ellis starts up with?

MM: Well, I'm just finishing Civil War #7 right now. This is the big battle Stark was taking about in issue four and the Thunderbolts are one of the many cards being played here by each side. All I can say, without giving too much away, is that a lot happens. As I've said from the start of this series, don't pick up the book looking for major deaths because that's so bloody cheap and will not happen in these pages. But stuff happens and the Thunderbolts play a big role which should set their book up nicely.

Update 1:18 pm: Over on Warren Ellis' forum href="http://www.the-engine.net/forum/messages.php?webtag=ENGINE&msg=4660.1" target="_blank">The Engine, the writer himself imparts some of the reasoning behind signing on for Thunderbolts:

"See, all I remember of the Norman Osborn character was from
the Spider-Man reprints my parents used to buy me when I was very young,
and Norman Osborn was this guy with a weird rippled crewcut who was always
sweating and his eyes were always bulging out of his head. That guy as a
Donald Rumsfeld-like pubic governmental figure... [Joe Quesada] talked me
into writing the book while I was still laughing. And then he told me
about the Penance character, which is so ____ed up it should not be in a
children's comic book.

Although not confirmed at this time, it is believed th Penance character referred to is not the Penance from the Generation X series from years ago.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on

• Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, a book coming out of Civil War that features a team to track down unregistered heroes? Looks like Cap's side loses. Not that that's unexpected, really. I'll probably check it out, Ellis usually writes stuff I like.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm fairly excited. Though I don't see why my thread was closed when it was posted first. Anywho...

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm fairly excited. Though I don't see why my thread was closed when it was posted first. Anywho...

Well the other thread was started by a mod...you win at posting it first...the mods win at being able to lock yer stuff.

Marathon on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Taskmaster not being on the final team makes me nervous. If he gets whacked in the next issue of Civil War it'll be a tragedy.

Munch on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Adaemus1sf wrote:
    So, a book coming out of Civil War that features a team to track down unregistered heroes? Looks like Cap's side loses. Not that that's unexpected, really. I'll probably check it out, Ellis usually writes stuff I like.
    I don't know if you can say they neccessarily lose. Losing would entail all the unregistered heroes getting locked up, and since there're still heroes to hunt I imagine this just means that nothing will really be resolved by the end of Civil War. I guess the miniseries was just meant to introduce the registration act and, by the end of the event, nothing will have really been resolved.

Anyway, I hate the idea of using mostly A-List characters to comprise teams.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    See, I love seeing A-List characters on teams.

I'm trying to be excited, because I love Ellis, but this seems like a rape of the T-bolts concept.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Warren Ellis writing Green Goblin and Venom is the only reason I'm excited about this. THE ONLY REASON.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    other than that I'm sorta pissed they're turning Thunderbolts into Suicide Squad

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I just can't see Songbird or Chen Lu on this team. Even Strucker, the way he's been written on the current team.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    See, I love seeing A-List characters on teams.

I'm trying to be excited, because I love Ellis, but this seems like a rape of the T-bolts concept.
    I'd rather more thought be put into a line-up than "who'll sell the most issues?"

It might still turn out to be a good book anyway, of course, and at least they can't put Wolverine in this one.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Was there a particularly good run of this series? I remember hearing good things, but waited until the Civil War tie-ins to check it out ... and was sorely disappointed.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Was there a particularly good run of this series? I remember hearing good things, but waited until the Civil War tie-ins to check it out ... and was sorely disappointed.
    Kurt Busiek's original run on the title was pretty strong. I haven't loved the book since Zemo became prominent again, and the Civil War tie ins have been a bit laughable (again because of Zemo Zemo lol), but I did like the New Thunderbolts relaunch that restarted the numbering.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

Are you seriously whining that your thread posted one minute before this one was locked?
    Fuck you, you big baby.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Get the first 12 issues. They're fucking awesome.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Manifest wrote:

Are you seriously whining that your thread posted one minute before this one was locked?
    Fuck you, you big baby.

I simply made a completely justified comment and was letting it go completely. One could argue that you were being childish for locking a thread that was already there just because it conflicted with what you wanted to post and then getting all uppity.

Either way it doesn't matter. I don't really care and I'm sure you don't really care. Let's talk T-Bolts.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Kurt Busiek's original run on the title was pretty strong. I haven't loved the book since Zemo became prominent again, and the Civil War tie ins have been a bit laughable (again because of Zemo Zemo lol), but I did like the New Thunderbolts relaunch that restarted the numbering.

Awesome. Thanks.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Awesome. Thanks.
    the book jumps the shark briefly when Fabe has them beat the paste out of the Avengers. I don't remember what issue # that was, but after that it's good on through to civil war.

The House of M tie in is one of the best single issues from Marvel that I've read in years, especially if you like Genis-Vell.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    You know I wouldn't be entirely too surprised to see them pull a reverse ZOMG THUNDERBOLTS ARE EVIL with this new line up. Basically what I mean is that it would be interesting if one of the villains was a plant put there by heroes.
    Just a thought.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    You know I wouldn't be entirely too surprised to see them pull a reverse ZOMG THUNDERBOLTS ARE EVIL with this new line up. Basically what I mean is that it would be interesting if one of the villains was a plant put there by heroes.
    Just a thought.
    I imagine it's gotta be this Penance character.

...Fuck, it's Hawkeye! okay, probably not

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Just a thought.

I could see Penance(a mystery man is perfect for a reveal) or Swordsman(maybe- I know he was an avenger, but I haven't heard about him in ages) actually being a plant.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    That Swordsman is dead. His ghost married Mantis. They were married by Immortus.

The current Swordsman is Andreas Strucker.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    That Swordsman is dead. His ghost married Mantis. They were married by Immortus.

... oh. Alright then.

Dex Dynamo on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

as in related to Baron Von?

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006

His son.
    Andreas and his twin sister Andrea previously could only access their mutant energy powers when touching. After Baron Helmut Zemo murdered Andrea, Andreas flayed Andrea's flesh from her corpse, tanned it and made it the hilt of his sword, thus he retains his mutant power, but now he channels it through his sword.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Dex Dynamo wrote:
    Just a thought.

I could see Penance(a mystery man is perfect for a reveal) or Swordsman(maybe- I know he was an avenger, but I haven't heard about him in ages) actually being a plant.

You know it's strange for them to introduce another Penance character right around the time they plan on releasing that League of Losers book which also has a character named Penance (old Gen-X character).

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited October 2006

His son.
    Andreas and his twin sister Andrea previously could only access their mutant energy powers when touching. After Baron Helmut Zemo murdered Andrea, Andreas flayed Andrea's flesh from her corpse, tanned it and made it the hilt of his sword, thus he retains his mutant power, but now he channels it through his sword.

crazy.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

His son.

crazy.

Wait, are they the Fenris twins? That's pretty fucked up also.

Never mind, thanks wikipedia!

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    You know I was thinking about this, and the last time Ellis wrote an evil superhero team was with DV8, and that kicked all kinds of ass.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I had no idea that Ellis did DV8

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Just the first arc, then he left and it never quite recovered.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006

His son.

crazy.

Well I can safely say that Andreas Strucker is the most fucked up person ever.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:

His son.

crazy.

Oh, I doubt he's more fucked up than the Lizard King.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:

His son.

crazy.

More than Purple Man? Because Purple Man...yeah.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:

His son.

crazy.

True. Why isn't Purple Man dead yet?

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:

His son.

crazy.

Did the Purple Man ever chemically drain all the goodness out of random people with ancient forbidden science, leaving them horrible and tiny deformed husks of people who only wanted to hurt things?

The Lizard King is still the most fucked up person in comics.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

His son.

crazy.

Did the Purple Man ever chemically drain all the goodness out of random people with ancient forbidden science, leaving them horrible and tiny deformed husks of people who only wanted to hurt things?

In spirit, though not in practice.

Ask Jessica Jones who is worse.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Spectre-x wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

His son.

crazy.

In spirit, though not in practice.

Ask Jessica Jones who is worse.

Okay, we'll have Lizard King use his little procedure on her, and then we'll ask her.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Oh God, I'd blocked out that whole Lizard King thing. Now I'm all reminded and stuff, and AHH!

Too bad I don't have those scans from Aztek anymore.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:

His son.

crazy.

True. Why isn't Purple Man dead yet?

Luke Cage not being in a MAX title anymore?

I do have to wonder why they let the bastard live, but the same could be said for any supervillain ever.

Furu on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Hey this sounds pretty keen.

Sars_Boy on