As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SpaceX first to launch a private rocket into space! Woo!

Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourseRegistered User regular
edited September 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Oddly there's no thread on this and it happened a good few hours ago.

SpaceX was founded by one of the PayPal founders and has been developing partially reusable spacerockets. This is the fourth attempt at getting something up and they've finally done it. What is strange is that this story hasn't really been picked up anywhere, a private company putting something in space is very big news as it opens the way for a whole lot of cool stuff.

BBC news article

So, hopefully this is going to spur a renewed interest in space and the government space agencies (NASA, CNSA, the ESA etc.) will stop becoming horrible black holes of money that achieve nothing. NASA are actually looking at using one of SpaceX's rockets for use in their own missions, although ideally we'd get a situation where there is private space exploration rather than just having private companies supplying governments.

Launch Video

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
Mojo_Jojo on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    New private sector overlords lol.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    The audio was somewhat crap, but that's still awesome. Now we just have to convince companies like Mitsubishi and whatnot to start building colonization equipment and launch it to Mars like it was foretold.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Let's just load a ship up with bacteria and crash land it on Mars. You know, the way it happened for Earth.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    It's a bit nippy for bacteria. We can offset our CO2 by dumping it all there, we'll just need a huge pipe stretching between the two planets.

As I mentioned the last time we had a thread which got on to Mars colonisation, travelling to Mars and back with a standard crew of eight or so entails a very high chance of somebody needing invasive surgery just from the statistics. So you need a surgeon (as you can't use robots with remote control due to light taking several minutes to travel between Mars and Earth), actually you need two in case the surgeon is the one who needs surgery. And then you've got problems with the blood, as once you cut somebody without any gravity the blood will pour out over their skin. So we need one of those big rotating spaceships, which means we need to assemble it in orbit.

Essentially, we're a long way off. Why this is still amazing though is for things like getting huge solar panels constructed in space. Much like fusion power I'm pretty sure we've got all the science for that sorted out, we just need to fix the engineering (which is a major obstacle, but should be achievable with enough investment). And then hurray, as we get to have one of those whatjamacallits where everything fundamentally changes as we've got unlimited energy and can afford to "waste" it (much like how computers changed the world once we were able to start "waste" bits on things like user interfaces).

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Only a bit - that's the idea of sending a broad spread. Go nab some from vaguely similar environments across the Earth, load it up and shoot it on over and see if anything sticks.

Also you don't need solar panels in space, you really just need large-ish parabolic mirrors and then you build your collectors on the ground.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Do we really want to focus large areas of sunlight down on to much smaller solar collectors? That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Do we really want to focus large areas of sunlight down on to much smaller solar collectors? That sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
    It's more efficient. I mean what are you going to do with solar panels in space? You're going to have to turn it into EM again and focus it down on some type of collector. This way is just cutting the expense and upping the efficiency. You wouldn't even need to use conventional solar panels - solar thermal would work just fine.

Plus, everyone knows it's high time we scrapped the airforce in favor of Prometheus's Hammer.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Is that the company that spread Scotty's (of Star Trek fame) ashes all over ocean when their last rocket exploded?

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Could a space-based mirror even do appreciable damage on the surface without the mirror being absolutely enormous?

MKR on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    Could a space-based mirror even do appreciable damage on the surface without the mirror being absolutely enormous?

Well, you'd need a lot of diamonds, obviously.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Apparently no one has seen the Global Warming episode of Futurama.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

if it's parabolic? No. The optimum focal point would be fairly close to the mirror and will disperse in to harmless light a short distance away. So it's rather impractical as a death ray.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    DanHibiki wrote: »

if it's parabolic? No. The optimum focal point would be fairly close to the mirror and will disperse in to harmless light a short distance away. So it's rather impractical as a death ray.
    What? Why would the focus have to be close? Just vary the shape of the mirror to change it.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    KingGrahamKingGraham Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Yes!

I wish I could get a job in the commercial space flight industry...but I'm not in the proper location, have no engineering/technical experience... So that's probably not going to happen.

I better be able to go in to space before I die. MAKE IT HAPPEN SPACEX!

KingGraham on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

What? Why would the focus have to be close? Just vary the shape of the mirror to change it.

relatively close I mean. To make it focus on something on the earth from LEO the mirror would have to be fairly huge in order to be effective.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

relatively close I mean. To make it focus on something on the earth from LEO the mirror would have to be fairly huge in order to be effective.
    If I remember correctly though, can't you simply build the curvature of a hypothetical larger parabola over a small area?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

If I remember correctly though, can't you simply build the curvature of a hypothetical larger parabola over a small area?

From what I recall, it's not as effective. Plus this strays from the original point that a Parabolic lens used as a solar collector won't accidentally become a death ray if hit by a piece of space debris, a-la Futurama.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    This probably won't make a difference. NASA likes to kill private space initiatives by announcing major (but never realized) new launch vehicles and such.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    This probably won't make a difference. NASA likes to kill private space initiatives by announcing major (but never realized) new launch vehicles and such.
    Has there ever been a serious, successful attempt at a private orbital spacelaunch before?

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    NASA have announced they are going to start using one of SpaceX's rockets already.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008

From what I recall, it's not as effective. Plus this strays from the original point that a Parabolic lens used as a solar collector won't accidentally become a death ray if hit by a piece of space debris, a-la Futurama.

You're reflecting about the same amount of sunlight and focusing it on about the same area so it's about as effective. On earth it gets steadily less effective as you try to push the focal point further out because the light has to travel through more air so you can't focus it as well.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    NASA have announced they are going to start using one of SpaceX's rockets already.

SpaceX is playing right into their hands!

Dynagrip on